PG Music Home
Posted By: Torrey Bliss TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/20/20 06:11 PM
https://soundcloud.com/torrey-bliss/time-for-a-change

I haven't had time to hardly be involved around here much these days (this makes me sad) but still want to contribute something occasionally! Thanks to anyone who takes a moment to check out the tune! It's much different than my usual fare. The title is borrowed from an earlier offering I put up a couple of years ago. It's what I would class as mountain folk as attested to by some of the realtracks used! As usual for my material, it's a work in progress The band carried almost all the load on this one and I'm not complaining! T

BIAB
Drums- NashTrain EV16
Bass- 1825 Pop Modern Groove EV16
Mandola - 3155 American Mountain EV16
Guitar - 3185 Acoustic Mountain 16ths Quinn
Piano- 2917 Acoustic Country Folk 8th's Mike
Fiddle- 3157 5 String American Mountain 16ths

Me
Vocals
Additional Piano
Posted By: PeterF Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/20/20 08:21 PM
Torrey

Excellent melody and vocal performance, and yes different from your usual style but a really well done very full folk sound.

A really top quality production.

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/21/20 11:15 AM
Excellent Torrey. Nice changeup. Well done
Posted By: Robertkc Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/21/20 06:33 PM
Torrey,
Mountain faith folk, with a very catchy pop chorus- which you are the master at!
I like the backing; especially where you bring in bass/drums.
The vocal sounds a little different from your other work - maybe slightly less processing- which suits the song well.
Very good harmonies, of course!
I`m glad you are still able to share your music here.

Robert
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/21/20 08:13 PM
Thanks Peter for the kind words! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Tangmo Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/22/20 12:19 AM
Great build and ebb and flow of dynamics, in instrumentation, energy, and especially progression. Loved when the bass player showed up. Great melody and message. Sweet internal rhyme. It's a wonderful package that needs nothing added or deleted to my ears. Others can comment on the mix. I much enjoyed my listen and am happy to see you around these parts.
Posted By: Al-David Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/22/20 01:19 AM
Hi Torrey ...

You are missed a lot when you're not around. I think I speak for just about everyone when I say that.

Indeed, quite a bit different ... but equally as terrific as all the others. I agree with Tangmo about how the song picks up steam when the bass line appears. As the song built, it picked up more and more steam. Love how you handled that. And loike all your lyrics, this one shines.

So good in every way. Loved it! Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/22/20 04:02 AM
Terrific track Torrey,
I always know there's entertainment and a message at hand if you've a new track up
as a W.I.P. it's almost done.
A couple of thoughts.
The sparse intro mix is quite centre focused and your voice is crowded by the instrumentation.
I think you could open the stereo image for the intro at least.
If you have the option for mid/side EQ then it's be a simple matter of adding some high end to the wide L & R to make the placement signals clearer - or pan something wider.
Your vocal is excellent but is a little sibilant so you may or may not care to address that.
OR
Leave it as it is - it's a cracker already.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/22/20 09:43 AM
Good to see you with a new one, Torrey!

A little different, but very cool indeed. I especially like your vocal, it really shines on this track.

Sounds complete to me!
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/22/20 10:52 AM
Love this song. You really got the vocals to jump out of the mix.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/22/20 11:56 AM
Torrey,

This immediately draws you in. And never lets go from there on...

Nice build. Smooth. Good vocals and excellent BGVs (as always - you do that SO well). Good mix (loud - had to adjust my volumes compared to other things on the forum this morning...)

A nice write/message.

Several listens. Worth it.

fj
Posted By: cliftond Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/22/20 12:13 PM
Oh how pretty a song this is!!!! Just perfect vocal to this equally perfect musical track. Torrey, You always have great material, and this is no different. Cliff
Posted By: Birchwood Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/22/20 06:47 PM
Hi Torrey,

A very good song! At first I thought the guitar is too loud compared to your voice, but very soon that was forgotten by the nice way of singing and the cool melody. I agree with Tangmo and Alan, that when the basguitar came in, the song comes to steam. And it did just that! I haven't heard these kind of songs from you, but I hope you continue in this way also. I really enjoyed it!

Stay safe,
Hans
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/22/20 07:37 PM
Torrey,
good to have you back! Indeed it is different, more acoustic / folk influenced...and your vocals.. They are deeper, more relaxed, great! Who knows, maybe it time for a change smile Still carries your drive and recognizable style signature. Enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/22/20 07:51 PM
Thanks so much for the listen and comments Scott! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Chris Dent Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/22/20 10:18 PM
Hello Torrey, the song, the vocals and the mix are all excellent here. I listened to some of your other tracks and they are all really well written and produced. Your vocals and harmonies are really nice. I particularly like 'Love Everyone' and love that line -'The greatest gift we can receive is the one we must give away'. Thanks.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/23/20 09:31 AM
Really liked both the lyrics and quality vocals that have been delivered here.

There's a lot to like about every part of this song, and the vocal doubling has worked so well.

Quality delivery, musically and vocally throughout.

Well done, big effort, great outcome, no question.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/23/20 10:03 AM
I am only new here and had no intention of commenting but after I heard your song I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it. Very good production with nice depth (although a wee bit more width may slightly enhance with a little more panning). Kept my interest from start to finish with the (often rare) intelligent use of the instruments supporting the vocals and nice harmonies.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/23/20 05:11 PM
"It's much different than my usual fare..."

Yes but - Janice said that regardless of the acoustic folk production she immediately
heard the Tom Petty/Traveling Wilburys feel. I asked her to describe it and she
said it has a "joy feel." That nailed it.

So much to like, the inspirational lyric, the great vocals (Janice was adding harmony
before the first listen was over smile ) and as long time bluegrassers we immediately
fell into the tracks. We've long admired the tone of a mandola.

Great to have another tune from you and quite a showcase of your versatility!

J&B
Posted By: Leon1 Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/24/20 04:10 AM
Hi Torrey
Great folky sound and really engaging vocal. I wouldn't have made the Tom Petty connection if Janis hadn't mentioned it, but listened a second time after reading the comments and definitely picked up a bit of that vibe. Nice work, as always.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/24/20 08:23 PM
Thanks Robert for all of the kind words! Yes I went for a less processed sound in order to bring the vocal more up front and personal which I felt this type of tune needed. I'm a long way from being finished with it though. Some lines in the lyric need improvement as well as some other things I've noticed after multiple listens! T
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/24/20 09:06 PM
I like the message and the sound of this. "And turn your eyes toward the Son/Forget where you have been and start to live again." Good! Every time I try to write Christian lyrics, they always come off sophomoric. So I'm stuck writing my secular tripe. But this song inspires me to keep trying.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/25/20 05:56 AM
Thanks Tangmo for listening and commenting! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/25/20 05:56 AM
Thanks Alan! Your comments always mean a lot to me! T
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/25/20 02:27 PM
most excellent my friend love it totally engaging speaks to the heart thanks for sharing this peace eric
Posted By: jannesan Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/25/20 03:01 PM
The band may be different than usual, but your strong catchy pop melodies are still here for us to enjoy. The arrangement lets your voice be more intimate and harmonies sound better than ever. Instrument selection is perfect and sound is full of warmth, I like especially the fiddle.

Janne
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/25/20 11:15 PM
That was one fine recording. The tone was so rich and beautiful. Top notch work.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/26/20 04:05 AM
Pleasant tune, you're a top talent here and it always shows. I always look forward to anything you post.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/26/20 05:45 AM
Thanks Ray! I am definitely still working on the mix. The lead vocal is on 4 tracks. One is a slightly delayed double that comes in and out. Two others are mixed about 50 percent right and left with a heavier reverb on them and I think that is what is causing the sibilant issues. I also plan on spreading the 2 acoustic guitar track a little wider to clear out more room for the vocal. I have lots of work to do on this including improving the lyrics in places and fixing timing issues and flat notes here and there. T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/26/20 05:47 AM
Thanks Dave for having a listen! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/26/20 05:48 AM
Thanks Floyd! I appreciate all that! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/26/20 09:49 PM
Thanks so much Cliff! I appreciate that! T
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/27/20 12:25 PM
A wonderful production, Torrey. Beautiful lyrics. Your voice is superb as always. Lovely harmony. A very catchy feel. A contagion very much in need of spreading.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/27/20 06:30 PM
Great song! Well done dynamics change building up steam as it went forward. Really enjoyed the production, and the lyric message. I’d like that very first note on the guitar… I’m not sure how you got that but I’m gonna try to find it in the RT’s that you used! Thanks for sharing your work.
Posted By: Andyman Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/27/20 07:50 PM
I loved this one Torrey. Great lyrics, but it's your vocals that held my attention right the way through. The production is outstanding and it was satisfying the way you built up the accompaniment.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/28/20 02:32 AM
Dang, Torrey:

This is just so, so good. Everything, every aspect. That “ooh” is so magnetic. Great build musically on this. If someone listening to this isn’t bobbing their head and tapping their foot by the end of this song . . . well, they just ain’t human.

Stunning! This deserves a ton of listens.

My very humble regards,

Deej
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/28/20 04:12 PM
Thanks so much Hans for listening and commenting! I may try to do a few songs soon in a similar style! T
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/28/20 04:45 PM
Great Production, I really like the melody, I wish you would've posted the lyrics on here.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/28/20 09:20 PM
Thanks Misha! I may continue in this style for a few songs! Unless inspiration strikes in another direction LOL! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/29/20 05:30 AM
Thanks Chris for listening and commenting and for the kind words on Love Everyone! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/29/20 05:30 AM
Thanks Videotrack for listening and commenting! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/29/20 05:33 AM
Thanks Gary for listening and commenting! I was still in the mixing process when I first posted this one. I have since made some changes. T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/30/20 04:15 AM
Thanks J&B for all of that! By the way, Janice is welcome to sing on one of my tunes any time!!! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/30/20 04:17 AM
Thanks Leon! I never listened much to Tom Petty but I'll take that comparison any time! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/30/20 04:18 AM
Thanks Scott for taking the time to listen and comment! I appreciate it! By the way, I feel that you are a very good song writer! T
Posted By: David Snyder Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 06/30/20 12:55 PM

This sounds great Torrey!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/01/20 07:53 AM
Thanks Eric for taking the time to listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/01/20 07:54 AM
Thanks Janne for the positive comments! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/01/20 07:55 AM
Thanks jptjptjpt, for taking the time to listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/01/20 09:35 AM
That, is outstanding.
I loved everything about it. Nice work on everything. Solid writing too.
Posted By: Bawb Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/01/20 10:03 AM
Hi Torrey,

I have to tell you thanks for posting this! I really needed to hear this song this morning. I loved it. Everything about this song is so top notch. The music, vocals and lyrics are all so well put together, it almost seems effortless for you. It's too good for radio!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/01/20 08:58 PM
Thanks TuneMonger for those kind words! I appreciate that very much! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/02/20 04:45 AM
Thanks Marty for having a listen and commenting! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/02/20 04:50 AM
Thanks Tano Music for the nice words! The guitar you mentioned is 3185 Acoustic Mountain 16ths Quinn. Finding this Realtrack is what put this song together for me. Without it the song wouldn't have happened. T
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/02/20 03:43 PM
Wonderful song!! Just grabs you.......so catchy, so melodic!! I guess I'm a mountain guy!! LOVE IT!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/02/20 07:34 PM
Thanks Andy! I really appreciate that! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/03/20 05:34 AM
Thanks Deej for those kind words! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/03/20 05:35 AM
Thanks Ronnie! The lyrics are posted on the Soundcloud page with the song. T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/03/20 05:36 AM
Thanks David!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/04/20 03:13 AM
Torrey,

Great folky sound and really engaging vocal.
I agree with Robert.
Mountain faith folk, with a very catchy pop chorus- which you are the master at!
I think this song proved that you have both sides as well as Paul McCartney had both sides, rock and folk.
Additional piano is very good.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/04/20 08:39 PM
Thanks Herb for having a listen and commenting! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/06/20 05:24 AM
Thanks Bawb for the kind words! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/06/20 05:26 AM
Thanks Greg for having a listen and commenting with such kind words! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE - 07/07/20 04:23 AM
Thanks Shigeki for taking the time to listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
© PG Music Forums