a half finished book next to a fifth of gin
   a sad story or drink won't erase that last goodbye
   those old ways of forgetting don't work
   no matter how i try

The BAND:

RealTracks in song: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 910:Piano, Electric, Rhythm SmoothBallad Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: ~2200:Guitar, Nylon, Background CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2542:Pedal Steel, Background ModernBalladAtmosphere Ev16 065
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleBrushesBalladPushEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes

Harmony: Janice Merritt (Thanks, Sis!!)

Album Photo: Bud Merritt (a very talented man!)

We hope you enjoy it.
Comments (of any kind) welcome.

fj
Hi Floyd, Bud and Janice,

This is a genuine Floyd song. that means it's beautiful!
The help from Bud and Janice was -of course- necessary, because now you have a great song, great harmonies and great lyrics.It's true, but I am teasing a bit with my words.
And I deadserious when I tell you the vocals come out really powerful and so bright. I am still aiming to reach this kind of brightness in my mixes. One day...!

I liked the lyrics very much. They make it very visual about what you sing. Especially the gin.
Would you try singing a Dutch song one of these days? With Janice? Think about it.
But very well done, Floyd!

Hans
I love it when you guys get together. Janice, Bud and Floyd -- Well done. A beautiful vocal and lyric. What a cool backtrack. So clear simple and delicate. That steel - wow. Guitar was awesome as well.
Originally Posted By: Birchwood

The help from Bud and Janice was -of course- necessary, because now you have a great song, great harmonies and great lyrics.It's true, but I am teasing a bit with my words.
And I deadserious when I tell you the vocals come out really powerful and so bright. I am still aiming to reach this kind of brightness in my mixes. One day...!

I liked the lyrics very much. They make it very visual about what you sing. Especially the gin.
Would you try singing a Dutch song one of these days? With Janice? Think about it.

Hans

Hans, thanks for the nice review. Maybe we can find a “Dutch In A Day” language course!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Birchwood

Hans

Thanks, Hans! But I would call this a "genuine Bud & floyd song". I don't recall the specifics now (since it's been a few years), but a large percentage of the lyrics in this are Bud's doing. As I said...he is a talented man... credit were credit is due...
Hi Floyd jane,

nostalic poetry with a soft voice in a pleasant arrangement. Well done, I enjoyed it.

Best regard

Dero13 alias JaniJackFlash
Originally Posted By: Scott C
I love it when you guys get together. Janice, Bud and Floyd -- Well done. A beautiful vocal and lyric. What a cool backtrack. So clear simple and delicate. That steel - wow. Guitar was awesome as well.

Thanks from all of us, Scott...
More authentic country from your camp. I like it. Well written and well presented song.
Nice, melancholic tune that I really enjoyed. Listened several times, def worth it!
The Team of Floyd and Janice and Bud continue to demonstrate their amazing ability to deliver the absolutely perfect material every time.

This is no exception. The recording skill, the mix, the balance, the vocals all are an endless testament to consistent skill, precision, and quality from this team. Yes, this is no exception.

Floyd,Bud & Janice,
There`s a masterly touch to the pacing and emotional pitch of this ballad; the chorus is especially well written.
Everything serves the song to a T- vocals,harmonies and arrangement ( love that gentle nylon guitar in the background).
Wonderful!

Robert
There you go again FJ, keeping us in our place. Your songs should humble us all.

Dan
Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thanks Scott. floyd certainly did a heckuva job on the production.

J&B
Hi Floyd, Janice & Bud,

A beautiful song, beautifully performed.
Nearly had me in tears.

Super backing, super vocals, seamless harmony from Janice and an excellent mix.

Nice solo, if brief...

Enjoyed the whole thing.

ROG
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hi Floyd jane,

nostalic poetry with a soft voice in a pleasant arrangement. Well done, I enjoyed it.

Best regard

Thanks, Dero! We appreciate you dropping in for a listen...
Man, what humbling talents. The lyrics are written with the singer in mind, using the appropriate phonetic that keeps the vocal relaxed, while simultaneously composing a compelling feeling. Outstanding in so many way. Bud, Janice and Floyd, you guys present the best of the best this forum have to offer. Love this!!!
Really enjoyed this from the opening bars onwards. That electric piano sounds sumptuous and immediately sets the right mood for the excellent laid back vocals. The lyrics are just masterful as is the production. In fact, everything about this song is wonderful and to my mind, the only thing that would have have made it even better would have been an extended instrumental break (either guitar or piano), but that's just personal preference and would have taken it over the four minute mark. This song could be used to advertise the high level that can be achieved when BIAB is in the hands of skilful people. Well done Floyd, Bud & Janice !
floyd, Bud, Janice

A wonderful arrangement, vocal, lyric and melody.
A poignant lead vocal, expressive and sincere sounding. Janice always blend with you so well it's uncanny.
Loved the lyric which I understand was a large part from Bud's pen.

A top quality song.

Peter
FJ and Crew,
Sad and beautiful or beautiful and sad, can not make my mind.
Took me two listens to fully appreciate it. I am not going to go in to dissection mode. It is amazing as whole. Congrats to all members of the team on this little gem! Enjoyed it much! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. Photo suits it very well.
I listened to this almost as soon as it was posted, then a few times since.
For some reason I didn't want to comment then.
Probably because the song, performance & recording need nothing from me.
I'm only putting words on the screen because I want you to know I'm not ignoring such a stellar piece.
I'll leave it at that...nothing need be said.
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
More authentic country from your camp. I like it. Well written and well presented song.

jpt3 - thanks, we appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Nice, melancholic tune that I really enjoyed. Listened several times, def worth it!

TM - Thanks for the listenS !! smile
Smooth. Well done, everyone involved.

The electric piano was a standout here.

Nice visual. I like the way it was immediately linked into the narrative.
Beautiful song, nice arrangement, good clear vocals!!
Floyd/J&B, this another wonderful song from you! Deeply tugs at the heart and emotions. The writing on this just can't get any better! The acoustic solo guitar puts this over the top! Thanks, Torrey
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
The Team of Floyd and Janice and Bud continue to demonstrate their amazing ability to deliver the absolutely perfect material every time.

This is no exception. The recording skill, the mix, the balance, the vocals all are an endless testament to consistent skill, precision, and quality from this team. Yes, this is no exception.

Trev - you are always so kind with your comments. We all appreciate that...

Thanks!!
Yes! You had me right from that opening with the Steel, what a great sound!

Your vocals always sound good, but over the last couple of songs have been just over the top good, just perfect to these ears.

Love it when Janice comes in, you two always sounds great together.

Excellent writing, I especially like the chorus.

Arrangement and mix are top notch as usual.

Really enjoyed this one!
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hi Floyd jane,

Best regard

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt

Thanks for listening y'all!

J&B

Man, this is a great song y'all. I really love it. Great team effort.

Who is the really cool looking guy in the hat in the new channel photo?

He looks fun.
In have listened to your songs many times. They are all good. I really loved the photo on this one.
Hello Bud, Floyd and Janice.

David C. already quoted my favorite lyrical couplet. But I'll be redundant:

Such excellent lyrical artistry is not all that common ... but it's so evident throughout this song. And, as ever, the vocal, arrangement and presentation is exactly where it should be. Don't know what else to say. it's good! Best to all of you ...

Alan
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,Bud & Janice,
There`s a masterly touch to the pacing and emotional pitch of this ballad; the chorus is especially well written.
Everything serves the song to a T- vocals,harmonies and arrangement ( love that gentle nylon guitar in the background).
Wonderful!

Robert

Robert - thanks for such a nice review. Couldn't ask for more... Appreciate you stopping by - always...
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
There you go again FJ, keeping us in our place. Your songs should humble us all.

Dan

Dan - nice of you to stop by!...Thanks!
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd, Janice & Bud,

Nearly had me in tears.

Nice solo, if brief...

Enjoyed the whole thing.

ROG

ROG - Thanks! We appreciate that!! smile
Cool stuff there. Great job writing as usual.

Nice mello feel. The groove has a feeling of the kind of resignation in the character's words in the song. well done.
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger

Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Thanks! floyd iced it with his vocal and production.

J&B
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Man, what humbling talents. The lyrics are written with the singer in mind, using the appropriate phonetic that keeps the vocal relaxed, while simultaneously composing a compelling feeling. Outstanding in so many way. Bud, Janice and Floyd, you guys present the best of the best this forum have to offer. Love this!!!

Very nice of you to say, Marty. We all appreciate that... smile
Originally Posted By: Andyman
Really enjoyed this from the opening bars onwards. That electric piano sounds sumptuous and immediately sets the right mood for the excellent laid back vocals. The lyrics are just masterful as is the production. In fact, everything about this song is wonderful and to my mind, the only thing that would have have made it even better would have been an extended instrumental break (either guitar or piano), but that's just personal preference and would have taken it over the four minute mark. This song could be used to advertise the high level that can be achieved when BIAB is in the hands of skilful people. Well done Floyd, Bud & Janice !

Andy - thanks for stopping by - and for the very fine review.

This does not seem to me like a song that ought to have an extended solo. The little bit of soloing back-and-forth between the piano and nylon guitar seemed more appropriate (I think).

Thanks, again...
PERFECTION???? MAYBE!!!! WOOOOOW!!!! I love EVERYTHING (I'm talking EVERYTHING, that's EVERYTHING) about this!!!! The band could not be better if the players were picked for this song specifically! Love the space in the arrangement, and the beautiful vocals (singing incredible lyrics) that fill it. There's a word that is overused, so I make a point of not using it, but I'm gonna now: BRILLIANT!!! Great job all!!! Take care. Greg
Hi Floyd
Very nice song. Hard to go wrong with this cast. While I hesitate to venture even a hint of criticism, I would have liked Janice to come in a little earlier (just cause I love hearing her sing).
Regards,
Leon
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,Bud & Janice,
Wonderful!

Robert

Thanks Robert. It was a fun write, fun doing our version and fun seeing where floyd would take his version, i.e., lots of fun!

We appreciate your support.

J&B
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd, Bud, Janice

A poignant lead vocal, expressive and sincere sounding. Janice always blend with you so well it's uncanny.

A top quality song.

Peter

Thanks, Peter! We do appreciate that!!...
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ and Crew,
Took me two listens to fully appreciate it. I am not going to go in to dissection mode. It is amazing as whole. Congrats to all members of the team on this little gem! Enjoyed it much! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha - Thanks for having a listen. Bud took that photo specifically to be the "cover" for this song with they did the J&B version...
floyd, Bud, Janice,

Very nice ballad!
The melody is a little sad and very beautiful.
The vocals are great!
The voice reaches me as if it sneaks into my heart.
Congrats to all members of the team.
Great performance!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
I want to cry after this. Beautiful. Congratulations to all involved, this really is top notch.
Originally Posted By: rayc
I'm only putting words on the screen because I want you to know I'm not ignoring such a stellar piece.

ray - always appreciate knowing that someone has a listen... thanks!

Originally Posted By: dcuny

Thanks, David. The electric pianos in BIAB are somewhat overlooked, I think. There are so many possibilities in the program to do productions OTHER than the standard starting places that most seem to use...
Floyd and Bud,

Terrific write, excellent vocal . . . masterful mix. You all always make it seem easy--no exception here. Very well done!

All my best to you,

Deej
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd, Janice & Bud,

Nearly had me in tears.

Nice solo, if brief...

Enjoyed the whole thing.

ROG

Thanks Rog. We much appreciate that. Hope all is well with you and yours.

J&B
I don't know how you all do it but you craft one fantastic song after another!

"a sad story or drink won't erase that last goodbye
no matter how i try" What a great hook!

Another masterpiece.
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields

Thanks, Ronnie!

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Floyd/J&B, this another wonderful song from you! Deeply tugs at the heart and emotions. The writing on this just can't get any better! The acoustic solo guitar puts this over the top! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey - we appreciate those fine comments. Thanks...
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic

Made our day! You are much appreciated!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Andyman

Thank you very much for listening and taking the time to write such thoughtful and supportive comments. You are very kind!

J&B

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd, Bud, Janice

A top quality song.

Peter

Thanks Peter. That blend was there from the first song eight years ago!

J&B
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yes! You had me right from that opening with the Steel, what a great sound!

Your vocals always sound good, but over the last couple of songs have been just over the top good, just perfect to these ears.

Love it when Janice comes in, you two always sounds great together.

Excellent writing, I especially like the chorus.

Arrangement and mix are top notch as usual.

Really enjoyed this one!

Thanks for the great review, Dave. Always appreciated. Hopefully I can keep that vocal chain improving. I will continue to have Janice help out. That always helps smile

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Man, this is a great song y'all. I really love it. Great team effort.

Who is the really cool looking guy in the hat in the new channel photo?

He looks fun.

Good to see you around, young fella. Don't be dissin' the hat....

wink
I really like the band for this song. They're right in step with the vibe and arrangement. Enjoyed my listen.
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ and Crew,

Misha.

Thank you Misha. Glad you liked it!

J&B

Originally Posted By: rayc

That says a lot Ray and it is much appreciated!

J&B
Originally Posted By: walletss
In have listened to your songs many times. They are all good. I really loved the photo on this one.

Thanks! Appreciate that. Bud's picture is perfect.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Bud, Floyd and Janice.

David C. already quoted my favorite lyrical couplet. But I'll be redundant:

Such excellent lyrical artistry is not all that common ... but it's so evident throughout this song. And, as ever, the vocal, arrangement and presentation is exactly where it should be. Don't know what else to say. it's good! Best to all of you ...

Alan

Thanks, as always, Alan...

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool stuff there. Great job writing as usual.

Nice mello feel. The groove has a feeling of the kind of resignation in the character's words in the song. well done.

Thanks, Herb...

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
PERFECTION???? MAYBE!!!! WOOOOOW!!!! I love EVERYTHING (I'm talking EVERYTHING, that's EVERYTHING) about this!!!! The band could not be better if the players were picked for this song specifically! Love the space in the arrangement, and the beautiful vocals (singing incredible lyrics) that fill it. There's a word that is overused, so I make a point of not using it, but I'm gonna now: BRILLIANT!!! Great job all!!! Take care. Greg

Couldn't ask for more than that! Thanks, Greg...
Beautiful piece. Pictorial lyric, sung with melancholy. Even Janice is down there near the bottom of her range. Just great. Loved it when the EP came in, sparse and tinkly and adding just that bit of empty brightness. Like a just finished book and half a fifth of Gin. Or something like that. Hugely enjoyed here.
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Thanks David. Yep, floyd's RT choice was and is always top notch. Glad you liked it!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields

Thank you Ronnie.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

We appreciate that Torrey. It's always a great experience to write with floyd because, well, he makes me feel like a writer! smile

J&B
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd
Very nice song. Hard to go wrong with this cast. While I hesitate to venture even a hint of criticism, I would have liked Janice to come in a little earlier (just cause I love hearing her sing).
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon. I love hearing Janice sing, too...however...this song is "weary, reflective, lonely, remembrance kind of song. Having Janice come in earlier would turn it into too much of a duet - a 2 person thing - therefore, not right for the song itself. It is a production decision (which I stand by).

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
floyd, Bud, Janice,

Very nice ballad!
The melody is a little sad and very beautiful.
The vocals are great!
The voice reaches me as if it sneaks into my heart.
Congrats to all members of the team.
Great performance!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi- Thanks for the nice comments. We appreciate it...

Originally Posted By: musician17
I want to cry after this. Beautiful. Congratulations to all involved, this really is top notch.

James - what a nice thing to say! thanks!...

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd and Bud,

Terrific write, excellent vocal . . . masterful mix. You all always make it seem easy--no exception here. Very well done!

All my best to you,

Deej

Thanks, Deej - from the lot of us....

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I don't know how you all do it but you craft one fantastic song after another!

"a sad story or drink won't erase that last goodbye
no matter how i try" What a great hook!

Another masterpiece.

Thanks, Mario. It's always good when a co-write has a bit of both of us sprinkled throughout....
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
I really like the band for this song. They're right in step with the vibe and arrangement. Enjoyed my listen.

Thanks for having a listen, Charlie... always good to see you drop by...

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Beautiful piece. Pictorial lyric, sung with melancholy. Even Janice is down there near the bottom of her range. Just great. Loved it when the EP came in, sparse and tinkly and adding just that bit of empty brightness. Like a just finished book and half a fifth of Gin. Or something like that. Hugely enjoyed here.

Tangmo - thanks for a cool review... smile

Bud - Let's do this some more!!!

Janice - Let's do this some more!!!
A big thanks to EVERYBODY who commented on our part in floyd’s fine production.

We appreciate you.

Be safe,

J&B
Another goodun, Floyd. I've said it before, you're a poet. Choruses don't get any better written than this one. I enjoyed this immensely. Thanks.
© PG Music Forums