PG Music Home
Posted By: edshaw We'll Understand it Better By and By - 06/29/20 08:28 PM
Revised and updated audio version, using 2020. Posted on Soundcloud.

By prominent African American preacher and hymnist Charles Albert Tindlay, written 1910, We'll Understand it Better By and By

Bent Piano Style
Backing track and mixdown in Band-in-a-Box 2020
Posted By: Bawb Re: We'll Understand it Better By and By - 06/29/20 08:33 PM
If you were passing the collection plate, I'd put some money in it!
Thanks for posting for free.
Really good rendition of this hymm...
Posted By: Scott C Re: We'll Understand it Better By and By - 06/30/20 11:22 AM
Excellent version of the song Ed. Really like the mix on this song. The reverb was a very nice touch. Gave a real live feel to the song. Well done
Posted By: Tano Music Re: We'll Understand it Better By and By - 06/30/20 05:05 PM
Ed, thanks for introducing me to this wonderful hymn, and to Mr. Tindlay. I went to read his story—so inspiring and uplifting! You’ve done him justice with your rendition!
This brings back memories. It's literally been decades since I have heard that song. Thank you for taking the time to record it. Good job
Posted By: edshaw Re: We'll Understand it Better By and By - 06/30/20 07:43 PM
Thank you, gentlemen, for those kind words. My own journey has me trying to apply the country voice of a native New Englander, raised on Hank Williams and schooled in steel guitar as a 10 year old on various sun belt Navy bases, to both the serious and the fun side of Christian hymns. George Jones managed to do it, but there will always be only one George Jones. You can imagine I have spent some time in the wilderness, but I'm starting to see the light.
Charles Albert Tindlay is an amazing hymnist as he was evidently a great preacher. I'm struck by his mastery of the language, not so unusual in those times, I am told. It is interesting to see the link between 18th and 19th century hymns and popular music, as it developed. Amazing Grace is classic 3/4 sixteen bar (1-1-4-1 / 1-1-5-5/repeat) arranged later, Macintosh to hold the one and swing the two and three. That's just my uneducated attempt to explain it. Hope you all know what I mean.
Anyway, with this hymn, you can see music moving toward where Thomas A. Dorsey ultimately took it, to a more popular style, based in I guess what we would call blues. While Thomas Dorsey met with initial resistance, Tindlay's imposing presence precluded that.
Ed, you did a really fine job on this one! It seems you worked on getting the vocal in a good place on this. Wish it was a bit louder but it is still fine! Don't stop doing these! Thanks, T
© PG Music Forums