PG Music Home
Posted By: Gary Weder Don't Cry Over Me - 07/11/20 01:53 AM
This song resulted from a rare stream of conscience lyric florish where I wrote the first thing that came into my head while listening to the biab THERIDE.STY.
For better or worse (probably the latter) , I didn't want to overthink the story but rather quickly catch the mood I was in and record it all on one Saturday afternoon session.
The beers helped smile Sigmund Freud might explain it as some kind of lost youth lament !
I've got a thick skin and welcome any constructive criticism.
BTW I don't know the protocol here regarding the frequency of posting songs so apologies if this is too soon after my last posting.

Don't Cry Over Me

File:_BBBLZOR with Guitar Solo.SGU
Key=Am , Tempo 100,
Style is _THERIDE.STY (The Ride Gritty Country Boogie)
RealTracks in style: ~~535:Bass, Electric, Pop Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~950:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBoogieA-B Sw 110
RealTracks in style: ~956:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryBoogieGrittyA-B Sw 110
RealTracks in style: ~953:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryBoogieCleanA-B Sw 110
RealTracks in style: 2669:Pedal Steel, Background CountryRockBoogie Sw 110
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleSwing8^3-a:Snare, OpenHat , b:Snare, Ride
Posted By: rayc Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/11/20 08:23 AM
The lyrics'd help.
You voice sounds just a little disembodied..IF you used the reverb that was on the parts within BIAb that might explain it.
Stream of Conscious lyrics aren't uncommon in good music.
I wasn't fussed on the solos.
I think your melody and the general lyric are pretty good.
That drum bit at the end could do with surgical removal.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/11/20 10:13 AM
rayc wrote <You voice sounds just a little disembodied>
Yep , I agree , I was not blessed with a good voice.

rayc wrote <I wasn't fussed on the solos.>
sorry.
rayc wrote <I think your melody and the general lyric are pretty good.>
Thankyou , I appreciate that.

rayc wrote < That drum bit at the end could do with surgical removal. >
Yep , I agree , pretty lame.

Thankyou for listening and taking the trouble to comment.

Hey , I just realised you are a fellow Aussie. Do you ever get up to the Northern Rivers ?
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/11/20 05:03 PM
I really like this. A lot. An interesting "story" and one I can relate to, although a lot less dramatically. Thank goodness. The band is right there. The solo is very nice and nasty. You have a large hint of Joe Walsh in your vocals, I think. Music to my ears.

Nice to meet you, as I don't think I've hit anything of yours yet. The Showcase has been a bit overwhelming lately. Which I guess relates to your question. Depends on your aim. Just understand the more often you post in a given period of time, the less likely any given song will get attention. I'm not a long-time user, but I can't see that statement being controversial. However, do what you want.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/11/20 05:17 PM
Gary, I like this a lot. I thought your vocals were just fine. The backing tracks and mix is also fine.

I assume you are playing the lead guitar? If so excellent chops!

Very nice lyrics as well.

I enjoyed this very much.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/11/20 05:37 PM
I agree that, if you posted the lyrics up, that would help some of us! That said, I like the voice, although (for me) it could sit more "in front" of the band ... it's kinda drowned by some of the band "as is" ... but it's a minor quibble! Otherwise, I thought the song is well written, well sung, and the band selection is stellar ... good job and please share more - no protocol here as far as I'm aware ... or, if there is, I break it all the time, haha ;-) Well done once more.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/11/20 11:25 PM
Thank you Tangmo.
It is nice to receive a review (good or bad) from an artist that i admire.
Since I discovered it "Close to the ground" has been my go to album for ideas and inspiration. I am currently working on tracks inspired by "Mountain Move" and "Talk to Me".

Tangmo wrote > "Nice to meet you" <
thank you and ditto.

Tangmo wrote > "Just understand the more often you post in a given period of time, the less likely any given song will get attention".<
Good advice and noted.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/11/20 11:34 PM
Gary,
Excellent tune full of energy!
I actually like dry vocals on it. I knew one guy, when he performed live, on some tunes he used a vintage Shure mic from 50s to get that "special" tone. This is very inline smile Don't listen to dusty Sigmund, he is full of bologna. I think beer is more influential. Enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/11/20 11:36 PM
Thank you Mario.

Mario wrote > "I assume you are playing the lead guitar? If so excellent chops!"<
I wish! But no , it is a Brent Mason soloist RT.

Thanks again Mario for listening and your kind words.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/11/20 11:48 PM
Thank you Misha

Misha wrote > "I actually like dry vocals on it" <
thanks - this kind of feedback is good for future projects.

Misha wrote > "vintage Shure mic from 50s to get that "special" tone" <
Interesting , I will do some research . good info.

misha wrote > " Don't listen to dusty Sigmund, he is full of bologna. I think beer is more influential"<
HeHeHe love it smile
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/12/20 12:00 AM
Thank you James.

James wrote > " if you posted the lyrics up, that would help some of us!"
noted , will do so from now on.

Thank you for your "voice placement" opinion. I am seeking such advice in order to improve.
Also thanks for answering my frequency of posting protocol question.
Posted By: rayc Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/12/20 03:14 AM
Gary - it's a really good voice BUT the reverb etc makes it seem a little disconnected from the track.
I've not been that far north for a while. It's a lovely part of the world though.
Posted By: TexasFrets Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/12/20 03:50 AM
I enjoyed listening to your song. I'd like to read through your lyrics. Passively listening to the lyrics, I enjoyed them and found them catchy. I like how you worked the Brent Mason solo in. I thought it was you playing until I read otherwise above in your comments. Great job. Looking forward to hearing more of your songs.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/12/20 06:42 PM
You have a good feel for this both lyrically and vocally. Bottom line for us, irrespective of genre, is whether or the singer has soul. And you do and we enjoyed it!

J&B

PS: No rule but folks typically let a song "play out" before adding another, i.e., after everybody is through responding. That way more people will likely hear your song and comment. Also lyrics either on the forum or SC are always good. FWIW with a truck load of salt smile
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/13/20 12:41 AM
This has a nice feel, Gary. I like it.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/13/20 02:09 AM
Thank you Todd.
I think I mentioned elsewhere how good your youtube channel is.Kept me entertained and inspired.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/13/20 02:13 AM
Thank you Janice and Bud.
Coming from you means a LOT to me.
Thanks also for the posting advice.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/13/20 02:19 AM
Thank you Leon.
It is extra special coming from someone of your caliber!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Don't Cry Over Me - 07/14/20 01:31 PM
Good song, vox a little low again, as others have stated a lyric sheet would be nice. Keep up the good work.
© PG Music Forums