We are on a high pass

forget about the weather
we are drifting, we are feathers
we are rain and we are sunshine
not matter what we'll find
soon we'll be down
we're on a high pass

Chris also did a video:

I'll get it uploaded to soundcloud in a day or two.

As always we welcome all comments!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: High Pass - 07/13/20 12:17 PM
Simple, uncluttered hard-blues with a solid vocal performance; I especially liked the little stop that you put in at the end of the chorus, and the unison bass/guitar notes coming out of the chorus. Enjoyed it!
Posted By: Tangmo Re: High Pass - 07/13/20 12:39 PM
Well, ya'll have certainly put an HPF on the mood with this one! Chris sounds spectacular. I maybe haven't been listening as long as some, but to my ears she is really finding her zone behind the mic. Love that Marty groove...intentional and song-based. Really NICE! The solo is everything I've come to expect from Dave, emotional and on purpose. The arrangement is solid. Love the little breaks and the production in the bridge and the guitar/bass unison section.

The only thing I might have wished for in the mix was more presence in the funky rhythm guitar...especially in the beginning. "It" felt a bit like the most under-appreciated member of this hard-working BA band.

What a great listen! My favorite BA tune so far.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: High Pass - 07/13/20 04:54 PM
Round up the usual suspects.

A good Blues Rock write. I like how Chris write in short phrases - that fit so well. Makes for a very sing-able song.

Excellent vocals and harmonies. Love that "down..." - emotion.

Beautiful bass from Marty. Very musical.

Gorgeous guitars. Needless to say. Cool tone on the solo.

Drums and organ are solid. Excellent mix. Good music.

All the pieces. Tightly in place.

As always.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: High Pass - 07/13/20 08:42 PM
Lovely impressionistic lyrics (we are drifting, we are feathers, we are rain and we are sunshine), an excellent vocal from Chris (also love that 'down') and great playing from Dave and Marty. Another really impressive production, folks, much enjoyed.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: High Pass - 07/13/20 09:15 PM
Yeah!
That is excellent funky cookin!
Very good vibe and strong artistic bond, especially considering looooong miles between you. EVERYBODY sounds great! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. I do wish rhythm guitar, especially before first solo would be a hint louder. It equals out on the second half.
Posted By: PeterF Re: High Pass - 07/13/20 10:39 PM
Yep another lovely blues performance - with great all round performances.
As usual some wonderful guitar playing, excellent bass and Chris sound fantastic.

A great all round group production (even liked the organ player - whose name escaped me).

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Pass - 07/14/20 08:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Simple, uncluttered hard-blues with a solid vocal performance; I especially liked the little stop that you put in at the end of the chorus, and the unison bass/guitar notes coming out of the chorus. Enjoyed it!

Thanks for the listen and comments!
Posted By: ROG Re: High Pass - 07/14/20 09:19 AM
Hi Team,

Fabulous.

First up, I DO like Chris's voice and she's flying in this one.

Marty's bass is always exactly right for the style and mood of the song
and this line really underpins the arrangement SO well.

And Dave - man, you were obviously born to play the blues.

Loved the whole thing.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: High Pass - 07/14/20 11:51 AM
Some of your best guitar work, a more energetic Robert Cray to my ears. Liked the lyrics and your singer, of course, is gold. Well done!
Posted By: Scott C Re: High Pass - 07/14/20 11:55 AM
Very cool tune Dave and Chris. Martys bass line gave the song the old bar vibe. Took me back to my earlier years. Super vocal and as such a cool tone on your guitar. Smooth with a little touch of nasty. Well done....
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Pass - 07/14/20 03:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Well, ya'll have certainly put an HPF on the mood with this one! Chris sounds spectacular. I maybe haven't been listening as long as some, but to my ears she is really finding her zone behind the mic. Love that Marty groove...intentional and song-based. Really NICE! The solo is everything I've come to expect from Dave, emotional and on purpose. The arrangement is solid. Love the little breaks and the production in the bridge and the guitar/bass unison section.

The only thing I might have wished for in the mix was more presence in the funky rhythm guitar...especially in the beginning. "It" felt a bit like the most under-appreciated member of this hard-working BA band.

What a great listen! My favorite BA tune so far.

I agree about that guitar. That particular part was a last minute thing, I recorded it after I had already sent the bed off to Chris so she could do her final vocal. After a couple of days away from the mix I can hear now that it should be a little more upfront. And I’ll do that at some point, but already started working on the next song.

Awesome review, thanks very much, Tang!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: High Pass - 07/14/20 05:12 PM
"forget about the weather
soon we'll be down
we're on a high pass"

Love that!

This is great. The write and arrangement are tops.

Chris's vocals are soul filled and have the perfect amount of edge to them.

Dave's guitar is soaring...Clapton like.

And, that bass guy got all funky on us! Cool. Janice was scat singing the bass line smile

We most enjoyed it and the vid scenery was great.

J&B
Posted By: Birchwood Re: High Pass - 07/14/20 06:33 PM
Hi Dave, Chris and Marty,

That's a cool Blues you made here! It's always a pleasure listening to your songs and this one is no exeption at all.
I thought you told us Chris will be on a vacation, so I had accepted that this would mean no songs from your hand for a long time...
But luckily that is not the case! This is a Blues mixed with soul I would say. I can agree with what J&B say about the 'soul filled' voice of Chris.
I liked that solo from the leadguitar. Very well done. Again!

Hans
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: High Pass - 07/14/20 09:59 PM
Dave, your band sounds awesome! Everything here is really good! Your guitars are always at the top level tone and playing! Marty's bass sounds so good! I can never compliment Chris's vocals enough...they are always spot on! Great!! T
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Pass - 07/15/20 11:50 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Round up the usual suspects.

A good Blues Rock write. I like how Chris write in short phrases - that fit so well. Makes for a very sing-able song.

Excellent vocals and harmonies. Love that "down..." - emotion.

Beautiful bass from Marty. Very musical.

Gorgeous guitars. Needless to say. Cool tone on the solo.

Drums and organ are solid. Excellent mix. Good music.

All the pieces. Tightly in place.

As always.

Thanks, floyd!

And thanks for mentioning the tone on the solo, I experimented a bit with the FX chain for this one. Always looking for the perfect tone! wink
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Pass - 07/15/20 11:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Lovely impressionistic lyrics (we are drifting, we are feathers, we are rain and we are sunshine), an excellent vocal from Chris (also love that 'down') and great playing from Dave and Marty. Another really impressive production, folks, much enjoyed.
Regards,
Leon

Appreciate that, Leon, thanks! wink
Posted By: rsdean Re: High Pass - 07/16/20 03:26 PM
Dave / Chris,

This is superb all around...

The production on this one is a real stand-out - you guys keep raising the bar!

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: High Pass - 07/16/20 11:36 PM
Great track. Outstanding guitar playing. Loved the solo. Bass was in the groove. Great vocals and lyrics. The band was good too. Good one to everyone.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Pass - 07/17/20 08:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Yeah!
That is excellent funky cookin!
Very good vibe and strong artistic bond, especially considering looooong miles between you. EVERYBODY sounds great! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. I do wish rhythm guitar, especially before first solo would be a hint louder. It equals out on the second half.

Thanks, Misha!

I agree about that guitar part. I'll fix when it comes time to remix this one wink
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Pass - 07/17/20 08:20 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Yep another lovely blues performance - with great all round performances.
As usual some wonderful guitar playing, excellent bass and Chris sound fantastic.

A great all round group production (even liked the organ player - whose name escaped me).

Peter

Thanks, Peter!

Yes, there are a few really good BIAB B3 tracks to chose from, I get a lot of mileage out of them.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Pass - 07/18/20 06:56 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Team,

Fabulous.

First up, I DO like Chris's voice and she's flying in this one.

Marty's bass is always exactly right for the style and mood of the song
and this line really underpins the arrangement SO well.

And Dave - man, you were obviously born to play the blues.

Loved the whole thing.

Thanks, ROG, appreciate that!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Some of your best guitar work, a more energetic Robert Cray to my ears. Liked the lyrics and your singer, of course, is gold. Well done!

"more energetic Robert Cray", I'll take that! wink I'm actually a fan of his, especially his older stuff. Thanks!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Pass - 07/18/20 09:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool tune Dave and Chris. Martys bass line gave the song the old bar vibe. Took me back to my earlier years. Super vocal and as such a cool tone on your guitar. Smooth with a little touch of nasty. Well done....

“Smooth with a little touch of nasty”, I like that! Thanks, Scott wink
Posted By: jannesan Re: High Pass - 07/19/20 02:16 PM
What a wild guitar playing, nice funky rhythm and great riffing. The whole band really works, funk always works for me smile Nice contrast in the lyrics, being free and then down by the sea. High quality singing and mixing once again.

Janne
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Pass - 07/20/20 06:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"forget about the weather
soon we'll be down
we're on a high pass"

Love that!

This is great. The write and arrangement are tops.

Chris's vocals are soul filled and have the perfect amount of edge to them.

Dave's guitar is soaring...Clapton like.

And, that bass guy got all funky on us! Cool. Janice was scat singing the bass line smile

We most enjoyed it and the vid scenery was great.

J&B

I can hear Janice doing that scat thing in my head. Sound great! Thanks you two smile

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Dave, Chris and Marty,

That's a cool Blues you made here! It's always a pleasure listening to your songs and this one is no exeption at all.
I thought you told us Chris will be on a vacation, so I had accepted that this would mean no songs from your hand for a long time...
But luckily that is not the case! This is a Blues mixed with soul I would say. I can agree with what J&B say about the 'soul filled' voice of Chris.
I liked that solo from the leadguitar. Very well done. Again!

Hans

Hi Hans,

Yes, she was gone for almost three weeks. But I had a few tracks backed up for her to listen to when she got back, doesn't take her long when she is on a roll, same with Marty.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Dave, your band sounds awesome! Everything here is really good! Your guitars are always at the top level tone and playing! Marty's bass sounds so good! I can never compliment Chris's vocals enough...they are always spot on! Great!! T

Means a lot coming from you, thanks, Torrey!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: High Pass - 07/20/20 05:43 PM
Dave, I can't tell you how much fun it is to work on these with you and Chris. Man, her voice is soooo engaging, then your guitar comes in with its own sweet voice, eventually blending together in such great music. Your ability at the mixing board is outstanding, and I'm happy to be learning what I can. Thanks, and whatever you do don't fire the bass player.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Pass - 07/21/20 05:59 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Dave / Chris,

This is superb all around...

The production on this one is a real stand-out - you guys keep raising the bar!

Excellent!

Bob

Just having fun, Bob wink Thanks!

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Great track. Outstanding guitar playing. Loved the solo. Bass was in the groove. Great vocals and lyrics. The band was good too. Good one to everyone.

Thanks jpt*3

Originally Posted By: jannesan
What a wild guitar playing, nice funky rhythm and great riffing. The whole band really works, funk always works for me smile Nice contrast in the lyrics, being free and then down by the sea. High quality singing and mixing once again.

Janne

Cheers, Janne!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: High Pass - 07/22/20 04:25 PM
First of all, that is some butt-kicking guitar work!

Just bought some new speakers, and Marty's bass is shining through. Great work!

Of course, Chris's voice sounds most excellent.

This is one tight and grooving song! Enjoyed it immensely.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Pass - 07/23/20 05:26 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Dave, I can't tell you how much fun it is to work on these with you and Chris. Man, her voice is soooo engaging, then your guitar comes in with its own sweet voice, eventually blending together in such great music. Your ability at the mixing board is outstanding, and I'm happy to be learning what I can. Thanks, and whatever you do don't fire the bass player.

Hey Marty,

It's been lots of fun having you onboard, the chance of you getting fired is slim wink
Posted By: rayc Re: High Pass - 07/23/20 08:57 AM
Reminds me of Maddy Bell on the Suicide Sal LP. Blues with some swing.
The organ was a fine choice for the band's augmentation.
The kick drum, well you know what I'd say..it only seems that way occasionally when it pokes out between the otehr instruments.
Stinging solo...bass is well funky!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: High Pass - 07/23/20 10:03 AM
hi dave chris marty great job clear and crisp mix pro sound!!!! loved it thanks eric
Posted By: tommyad Re: High Pass - 07/23/20 01:12 PM
Dave, that is some of your best guitar work. Marty you’re such a perfect fit for this band. Chris, your vocals and writing are getting better all the time. A really great listen,Tom
Posted By: MarioD Re: High Pass - 07/23/20 08:52 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Dave, that is some of your best guitar work. Marty you’re such a perfect fit for this band. Chris, your vocals and writing are getting better all the time. A really great listen,Tom
\\

I agree with Tom. Everything that I was going to say already has been said so I will end with this, if you put a CD out with songs like this one it I will be the first in line to purchase it!

Alligator Records don't have music this good!
Posted By: dcuny Re: High Pass - 07/24/20 03:42 AM
You made my speakers sound great! laugh

Nothing to add that hasn't been said, so I'll cheat and write "What they said!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Pass - 07/25/20 07:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
First of all, that is some butt-kicking guitar work!

Just bought some new speakers, and Marty's bass is shining through. Great work!

Of course, Chris's voice sounds most excellent.

This is one tight and grooving song! Enjoyed it immensely.

Thanks, happy you liked it!

Originally Posted By: rayc
Reminds me of Maddy Bell on the Suicide Sal LP. Blues with some swing.
The organ was a fine choice for the band's augmentation.
The kick drum, well you know what I'd say..it only seems that way occasionally when it pokes out between the otehr instruments.
Stinging solo...bass is well funky!

Maggie Bell has actually improved with age IMHO, saw a youtube video of her performing from a few years back. Better than ever.

Cheers, Ray!

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi dave chris marty great job clear and crisp mix pro sound!!!! loved it thanks eric

Thanks, Eric!

Great to see you back, Tom! Thanks for the kind words smile

Originally Posted By: MarioD
\\

I agree with Tom. Everything that I was going to say already has been said so I will end with this, if you put a CD out with songs like this one it I will be the first in line to purchase it!

Alligator Records don't have music this good!

We will definitely do a CD with Marty in the mix, just need a few more songs. Thanks, Mario!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
You made my speakers sound great! laugh

Nothing to add that hasn't been said, so I'll cheat and write "What they said!

Thanks, David!
© PG Music Forums