PG Music Home
MY FIRST

This is just a very simple little something I threw together and recorded last weekend on my new keyboard (hence the title), initially for the purpose of giving my online friends some idea what it sounds like "straight from the cow" (as the icelandic expression goes). So this is all done/played/recorded straight to audio in one take from start to finish.
But then I thought, maybe this wasn't all that bad for further sharing, so I needed to add something from my BBox to that recording for the sake of eligibility of the submission here. And that accounts for the two instruments listed below - Enjoy!

Formalities:

My first.MGU
Key=D, Tempo=95, Length (m:s)=3:29
Style: -BOSA_60.STY
MIDI Instruments: Acoustic Piano (1),
RealTracks: 3267:Cello, Background CelticAirFlowingNatalie Ev 085

EDIT: Now on Youtube for those who prefer HERE
Posted By: MarioD Re: "My first" - a very 'mainstream' Bossa - 07/28/20 08:46 PM
That is one sweet sounding keyboard you have there.

I really the rhythm section. Your playing is excellent. The mix was spot on.

I really liked this.
Posted By: Icelander Re: "My first" - a very 'mainstream' Bossa - 07/28/20 09:13 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
That is one sweet sounding keyboard you have there.
Oh, thanks, man! I'm still very much finding my ways on this thing but from what I gather it's supposed to be able to sound even better... I just haven't got the hang of that bit yet wink

I really the rhythm section.
That makes two of us, then, it's all built-in though so I can't take any credit there. This particular drum style actually reminds me a lot of some of the BossaTerry stuff on BBox, so 'obviously' I fell for it right away.
Your playing is excellent.
Really?? I can't be the judge of that, but as this was a "from start to finish" recording, I will tell you that, even with the very simplistic melody & chords, this took a LOT of retakes - and I still ended up with mistakes left in! crazy
The mix was spot on.
All straight out of the machine.. well, 98% because I had added two more instruments which needed to blend in rather than stick out, so ok... maybe I can take that tiny bit of credit there.

Thanks again for the very encouraging feedback..

I really liked this.
And that, my friend, is the important part smile
Posted By: Scott C Re: "My first" - a very 'mainstream' Bossa - 08/01/20 10:48 AM
Excellent song. Playing ones song in one take is a very difficult task. Well done.
Posted By: Icelander Re: "My first" - a very 'mainstream' Bossa - 08/01/20 11:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent song. Playing ones song in one take is a very difficult task.
Indeed, and somehow more stressful the further you get into the song, or so I've just discovered (most of the ruined takes got messed up towards the latter half).
I suppose that's the main reason I went for something so (seemingly) simplistic in terms of construction & chords compared to my usual BBox songs on here. I mean, I don't recall a song of mine with only 4-5 chords like this one in a long while now, since from before my BBox years I'm sure. So I did try "thicken" them a bit once I got to adding the BBox parts of this version, just to make it sound a bit less bareboned. But still you could easily do with just 4 chords here, and I'm sure most of you could pick up the lot by ear in just a few minutes, chords & melody.

Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback (including your 'extra mile' SC comments), much obliged as always cool
Posted By: rayc Re: "My first" - a very 'mainstream' Bossa - 08/02/20 08:38 PM
That's really nice- full cream from the udder.
Bravo on the one take run.
There's a piano or something lurking underneath and near the centre of the stereo image that occasionally seems a little off tempo or key. It's buried but when the wider panned piano is in evidence hey clash a little.
No prob as it reinforces the "one take" nature of things.
Eddie, My man from Iceland!! Good to see you here! Nice little tune!! Enjoyed! Good selection of accompanying tracks too!! Take care. Greg
Oh Eddie, this is delightful. Very endearing melody. Sounds almost Celtic. Flute really suits it too. Well done
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent song. Playing ones song in one take is a very difficult task. Well done.

Scott it's even worse trying to video yourself
Posted By: Icelander Re: "My first" - a very 'mainstream' Bossa - 08/03/20 03:54 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
That's really nice- full cream from the udder.
Now, there's taking a metaphor and really run with it! laugh
====
Originally Posted By: rayc
There's a piano or something lurking underneath and near the centre of the stereo image....
Yes, that'll be my aforementioned "thickening" attempts that were supposed to add a bit more flavour to the chords... which, by the sound of what followed in your observation there, didn't quite come off as intended. Oh well, can't win 'em all, I suppose.

Thanks for the listen & feedback cool

p.s. Sorry I didn't do another "push the envelope" piece for you after your encouragements on my last one to do so... but hey, doing that twice in a row would be rather unoriginal in itself, innit? wink
Posted By: Icelander Re: "My first" - a very 'mainstream' Bossa - 08/03/20 03:56 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
Oh Eddie, this is delightful. Very endearing melody. Sounds almost Celtic. Flute really suits it too. Well done
Thanks... I fell for that flute pretty hard too, btw smile
Posted By: Icelander Re: "My first" - a very 'mainstream' Bossa - 08/03/20 04:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Eddie, My man from Iceland!! Good to see you here! Nice little tune!! Enjoyed! Good selection of accompanying tracks too!! Take care. Greg
Thanks for yet another of your very enthusiastic responses, glad you enjoyed the listen cool
Eddie,

Very nice little tune!
It has a very beautiful melody.
And I feel nostalgic somewhere.

When I was wondering what was causing it, I remembered one song.
It is Shostakovich's second waltz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vauo4o-ExoY

I found out that if the opening melody of the waltz written in minor was changed into major, it became this melody.
Was this done consciously?
I sometimes consciously use classical melodies in my songs.
So, I wanted to ask you about that. (Please forgive me. I know I am rude.)

And, of course, despite that, I think this song is great.
I really like this tune.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Icelander Re: "My first" - a very 'mainstream' Bossa - 08/05/20 10:28 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Eddie,
===I feel nostalgic somewhere.
When I was wondering what was causing it, I remembered one song.
It is Shostakovich's second waltz. I found out that if the opening melody of the waltz written in minor was changed into major, it became this melody.
Was this done consciously?
That is an absolutely brilliant discovery, Adachi-san and I almost wished I had thought of it! But no, I'm afraid I'm not that clever crazy
I also had that "I'm sure I've heard this before" feeling when I was making this cliched little piece (there's very little originality in it and I readily admit that), but it wasn't any sort of conscious allusion or deliberate reference, just purely coincidental. I'm glad you still enjoyed the listen, and I thank you for your positive comments.

p.s. I don't think you could be "rude" even if you tried! laugh
© PG Music Forums