PG Music Home
This song was written entirely in Band-in-a-Box. The background vocals worked perfectly. I wrote the song with a Johnny Mathis feel. I did the vocals in Sonar Producer (Cakewalk). Hope you enjoy!!

https://soundcloud.com/henry-clarke-133416910/lonely-in-a-crowd

The song can also be heard on You Tube:

https://youtu.be/UX_Cr-1eHDI
WOW!
This is absolutely fantastic. You have outstanding voice. Your music knowledge really shines through here. The stops, when the background vocals come in, the mix, the instrumentation, and every finite detail is just perfect.

I really loved this song. If I had heard this in a record shop I would have purchased it right then and there.
Welcome to the forum.

I love this song. Really good write and the recording is good.

One thing I noticed was that the BGV singers are too loud. I'd back them down a few dB. They are actually more upfront than your lead vocals which, BTW, could come up a few dB to set better in the mix. See what others think when they comment. I'm listening on good quality ear buds. So it might be different on speakers.

But man, what a great first song on the forum. What a way to say hello.
Henry, great write. A super vocal. I agree with Herb on the bringing up the lead and dropping down the bgv. What a great way to introduce yourself. Thoroughly enjoyed it, Tom
Henry,

A beautiful song. Beautiful vocals.

I agree the oohs and aahs could step back a bit (I think they could use more reverb to accomplish that). For the style, I thought the stick was a bit louder than it should be - it pulls the ear away from that beautiful vocal...

An enjoyable listen. Welcome to the Showcase...

fj
It's unanimous regarding the request to back off the background vocals. And also unanimous on how fantastic this is!

And regarding a first entry in the forum, I think we have a ringer here. grin
Welcome here to the forum Mr. Henry. Great first post and I know there are many many other great songs by you waiting in the wings. Enjoyed my listen.
Henry, great work on this track! Loved the composition, song architecture, lyric, arrangement.

I agree with some of my forum friends about the mix and voice levels--that could use a little touch-up.

But, as a first contribution here, you're showing us some excellent skills and artistry!

This made me check out some of your other work on SoundCloud---glad to 'know' you, virtually!
Wow! Welcome to the Forum. What an entry!

I look forward to hearing more from you. Great voice. Really strong knack for arranging/producing. I do agree with the comments about the background vox being a little to up front. Your voice is good and strong enough to dominate the mix without fear. smile

Great job, love the song. (I have always love Johnny Mathis' voice and musical style.)

Looking forward to more good stuff!

Steve
Thanks so much. The song is kinda sad but I thought it came out pretty good :-) Quarantine ?? Man, hope you're enjoying it !!
Thank you sir !!!
Thanks so much !!
Thanks you. Ya know the most challenging thing I find today is trying to mix for either Stereo or Cell Phone. I've learned a couple of tricks since then that may help :-)
Thanks Tano. I hope you get a chance to check out my channel. My favorite thing right now is taking a cover and changing it. Thanks for the comments. Well received. Henry
Thanks "ZenMaster" !!
Thanks Steve, I do a lot of other stuff also. I think I'm all over the place. Right now I'm in this "covers' mood. If you want to hear some "interesting" covers ... (note I didn't say good or bad .. just interesting) check out my you tube channel. Henry
Hi Henry and welcome aboard! What a fantastic voice you have! It's a beautiful tune! I agree that your lead vocal come up substantially....it's way too good not to be heard at the right level! Great job and I look forward to more of your work! Thanks, T
Oh, this is so good. No, it's way better than that. Just as I was typing you sang "lonely in a crowd" and I was wishing your voice is louder in the mix. Johnny Mathis has been a favorite since I was young. Beautifully written and sung, Henry. So glad you're here. Can't wait for more.
Sonically it reminds me more of Marvin Gaye's magnum opus What's Goin On?
The rhythm is different but the textures are as cool.
My only nits...the ooh/ahh bvox are too loud, (particularly in the chorus - the program drops some warble into the end of some lines too) some gentle reverb and delay might address that, and the strings/synth pad aren't quite real enough for the style.
Your Walk On By interpretation is cool...have you heard the version by The Stranglers?...Different tempo & beat BUT another cool interpretation...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqqj9xpj130
Wow! That was a winner! Reminded me of any number of sixties and seventies RnB groups. Great voice and song. Fix the vocal disparity and it's perfect. Nice job! I also listened to Since you've gone away and Those were the times, both winners as well!
rayc. That Stranglers version of Walk on By is so cool. I LOVED IT !! I had never heard that version. I guess it took another 40+ years for someone like me to come up with an uptempo version hahahahahaha

As far as "Lonely in a Crowd" goes it really was just an experiment. If it was something I would consider releasing I would do the entire song over and do all the background vocals myself.

I actually like ballads where I get to sing 2nd Tenor/Falsetto and have full background vocals. Check out this tune. It's doing ok getting views and play on the streaming services. Still all in all I love it :-)

It's called "Lucky Guy"

https://youtu.be/a9z7_ay_oMw

Henry
Welcome to the forum and, man, what a way to say hello!

We love that song period and you nailed it.

I do agree with bringing up your lead. It's a fine performance and nothing at all wrong with bringing a great vocal out front!

Enjoyed it...

J&B
Wow !! Coming from "Award Winners" I'm honored !! :-) Thanks for the kind words. I must admit I don't do too much in from this era but after talking to a friend of mine who was struggling a bit the lyrics just came to me immediately. Thanks again. BTW: I checked out a couple of your songs. TOP NOTCH PRODUCTION !!! I'll subscribe to your channel.

Thanks again,

Henry
Originally Posted By: Henry Clarke

It's called "Lucky Guy"

https://youtu.be/a9z7_ay_oMw

Henry

OK Henry, first off, I like your stuff. No question you got the vocal chops. So now that I got you buttered up, let me ask and meaning no offense to any. But who mixes your music? Your voice deserves better.

Wow, hope I did not offend! I have only listened casually to the two songs and the placement of your vocals in the mix is not optimum, but what the heck do I know. crazy

LOL and I seriously mean that .. I'm laughing out loud !! No offense taken at all. You can't do music with thin skin or you'll be crushed !! :-) I hear so many comments about my mix. Some say it's too loud, some say it's too soft, some say they love the mix etc... I usually do all vocals myself, lead, background , harmonies, adlibs, etc.. I mix myself so I'm totally to blame!! My biggest challenge is mixing for all platforms. Since I have a few songs on streaming sites like Pandora, Spotify, etc.. I tend to mix more for cell phones and not for stereos and home PCs that have bass cabs and stuff. It's funny .. I mix on the PC and it sounds great. I transfer to the cell and it stinks. I move to the Mercedes and it sounds good but a little Bassy. So I just tend to hit the middle and go with the cell phone (after throwing my hands up !!) Usually when I hear on the cell because the speakers are closer it tends to sound so much better without the lead overpowering. I started eliminating the center channel for vocals and duplicate them panning left and right and it does sound better (at least on phones). I didn't do that on "Lonely in a Crowd. Honestly that song was just an experiment in creating musical chops. If I was going to seriously release do it I would recreate the entire song. If you know a better way to mix that will hit all the platforms while mixing from a PC feel free to share. I'm open to suggestions.

Henry
Quote:
I mix myself so I'm totally to blame!!

Thanks for taking my comments in the positive manner they were intended. Glad to hear you are not paying a professional studio cause now you don't have to fire anyone. grin

Quote:
If you know a better way to mix that will hit all the platforms while mixing from a PC feel free to share. I'm open to suggestions.

In the early days I attempted to mix for multiple platforms and gave up on it, so I have seen this issue in the past, but I don't have the magic bullet. However, I am assuming it can be done until some professional tells me otherwise. For example, what does Isotope with all their mix-technology say on this topic? Lets hope we find some sage,advice from others. If it does not take off here, perhaps I can shake a few trees in some other forums I frequent to see if there is a solution.

I really would like to hear those pipes of yours under optimum conditions.

Dan
HELL I NEED TO FIRE MYSELF SOMETIME !! :-)
Hey Henry! Nice to see you here.....
love the song.
WOW!!! Love it!! I am a huge fan of old soul and R and B, and you nailed the feel!! I agree with the others on the mix levels. Your vocal is very sweet!! PLEASE keep posting!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums