PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young Evan's Jam - 07/29/20 06:11 PM
I've been out of pocket the past couple weeks. My work load has significantly increased, and then some of my grandkids came to spend a few days with us last week. My 12 year of grandson, Evan, is showing real signs of being a musical prodigy. He has been picking up the guitar, bass, drums, and piano. He wanted to do some recording with his Pawpaw while here, so he picked up my $20 Strat knockoff, and came up with this rhythm and chord progression. I fired up Band in a Box, and he dictated the chords to me, and I selected some RealDrums and Realtracks for the bass and piano, and we put this together for him.

Evan's Jam

Evan played all the guitars, and I added the organ and cowbell. Band in a Box provided the song structure that Evan wrote, and we tracked it, mixed and mastered it in Luna, using UAD plugins. The guitar sounds were molded by Waves Guitar Stomp plugin, and run through UAD's Marshall amp. I hope you enjoy this one! (I am pretty proud of this kid.)

Here are the RealDrums/RealTracks used...
RealTracks in song: 995:Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 888:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopBronx Ev 120
RealDrums in song: BluesRockEv^3-a:Snare, HiHat , b:4 Beat Snare, HiHat
Posted By: MarioD Re: Evan's Jam - 07/29/20 08:00 PM
You should be very proud of him. He is an excellent guitarist and he knows what a melody line is and that is ultra-important!

Super mix, love the backing track stop around the 3 minute mark.

To nitpick I think it need more cowbell grin grin grin grin
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Evan's Jam - 07/29/20 10:09 PM
Wow, that is one talented 12 year old.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Al-David Re: Evan's Jam - 07/30/20 03:00 AM
Hi Steve ...

I see exceptional talent has descended through the generations. Just 12 years old ... what a potential if he decides to pursue it! And what would it have been without the cowbells?

Simply terrific!!!

Wishing you and yours the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Evan's Jam - 07/30/20 10:48 AM
Oh yes, the kid has it. Love the progression. He squeezed great juice out of those half-step moves. Solidly structured piece. The lead is strongly melodic, repeats to ground it, and varied to keep it moving forward. Strong sense of rhythm and choice of just where/when those licks land. Best 20$ you ever spent, I'm guessing.

I would like this if he was 24. Keep the kid in instruments he can play and not have to fight with. He's a gem.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Evan's Jam - 07/30/20 04:54 PM
Awesome.

The kid's got a ton of talent. And a bit of needed "luck" as well - having such a talented Grampa.

Sounds SO good - kudos to you both.

I want to go back in time - to when I was 12 - and have YOU be my Grampa!!!

fj
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Evan's Jam - 07/31/20 11:42 PM
Fine work, young man! What an asset to have a musical Grandpa! And an excellent musical Grandpa at that!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Evan's Jam - 08/01/20 10:57 AM
Now that would be fun. This is an excellent song. Your grandson has an excellent feel with the guitar. Well done
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Evan's Jam - 08/01/20 01:18 PM
So well done, Evan! And Pawpaw, you played an awesome cowbell. Seriously, Evan is gifted in his ability to create a very cool progression, AND has the chops to bring it to life.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Evan's Jam - 08/01/20 01:21 PM
hi steve yes great potential love the medley line and good guitar chops he has an ear for music thanks eric
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Evan's Jam - 08/02/20 04:24 PM
As floyd said, "I want to go back in time - to when I was 12 - and have YOU be my Grampa!!!" smile

Way cool. We were immediately impressed by how melodic the lines were. A great sign of things to come.

Thanks for sharing gramps!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Evan's Jam - 08/02/20 07:39 PM
Steve

He has good genes. Lovely tune - and excellent guitar lines throughout.

Most impressive!.

Peter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Evan's Jam - 08/02/20 09:30 PM
Hi Steve. Hope you are well in the madness! This is cool!! I started playing guitar about 55 years ago, and still cannot play nearly that well!! Looks like your genes made it through! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums