PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/02/20 10:17 PM
Hello forum friends! Just listened to a number of wonderful tunes....will continue to catch up. Have not been around too much lately but I'll continue to catch up in the next week or so. Hope everyone is safe and well. I write a lot of songs from my own era (60's and 70's). When I branched out to become more versatile, I went further back in time instead of toward the present. I love the 40's and 50's. Would have loved to have pitched this one to "old blue eyes". Always love to hear your thoughts! Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/user-93866372/what-ya-done

Whatyadone to me

Baby, whatyadone to me
Sorrow like my heart has never known
You awakened a long forgotten part of me
Then you ran off and left me alone

The poets speak of those who’ve loved and lost
As somehow better than those who’ve never loved at all
I’m no poet, but baby when I weigh the cost
Soaring high was just not worth the fall

Once upon a time, my dreams were untethered
There was no place my heart couldn’t go
Now I am lost, and my spirit is weathered
I just don’t know how to let go

Baby, whatyadone to me
In the wee hours, I walk the lonely streets
And the shadows stretch out like a lonely sea
In such darkness, I can’t find my feet

And the whiskey barely helps to ease the pain
As the sad songs pour into my soul
The echo of a lover’s loss, the sad refrain
Play out in this bottomless hole
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/03/20 04:49 AM
Yes, I could definitely see Frank doing this one, and making a hit out of it too.

Period perfect from the excellent write to the instrumentation. Love the sax! And always love your vocal.

Excellent, Greg!
Posted By: rayc Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/03/20 05:27 AM
What's the click at 8 seconds and 32 seconds in?
Those, I think it happens again but less obviously like at 1.40, some sibilance and the strange register drop/tone change near the end of the 1st sax solo, (2.16 after another click), are all I'd suggest need addressing.
Lovingly: a wonderfully done homage to an era of crooning.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/03/20 03:09 PM
Greg,

Who needs Frank when we've got GREG??!!??!

You have such a wonderful voice - especially for this type tune. The perfect amount of smokey-whiskey-lived-in warm-raspy tone. Gorgeous.

One more beautiful write. Lyric and melody. Top tier.

The BAND is with you every step of the way. Good mix, too.

You should be making whole albums of this kind of stuff - and making a bunch of money from it!!!

Beautiful.

fj
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/03/20 03:30 PM
Smooth..... when are you premiering on the Vegas strip? Seriously good stuff there. This kind of music is coming back with some of the newer singers....

So....I listened to see if I could hear what Rayc was talking about.... I didn't hear it but I'm also on some tiny computer speakers streaming it. So... if you go back and hear the things he mentioned..... I've had issues with such ghosts in the past. I would solo track by track and heard nothing out of the ordinary. However, I could hear something amiss in the mix. Often, it would come down to how 2 specific tracks were interfering with each other. Once I had it isolated to the offending tracks, a simple volume envelope that pulled one of the two down during that split second in the mix, would often fix the "glitch" and the track that got pulled down was never obviously missing for that short split second of time. Anyway.... yeah, I didn't hear anything in those places.... maybe I can listen later on better speakers or cans.

All that aside, that is a really superb piece of art. You vocals fit it perfectly. Nice, nice work.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/03/20 10:12 PM
Greg,

Very throwback and, yes, I could see a classic 40’s crooner like Sinatra doing a hell of a job on this . . . but you do it rather nicely here--always admire your vocal. Pretty stuff—terrific write (“in such darkness, I can’t find my feet” . . . boy, what a line!). Well done!

My best to you,

Deej
Posted By: Leon1 Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/03/20 10:27 PM
Hi Greg
Love Sinatra (as a singer) and hopefully he would have had the good sense to agree to your pitch. But you make a wonderful job of it yourself. And great work with the lyrics, too. Nice period feel. Porter Berlin, Arlen, etc; they had such a wonderful way with words.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/04/20 12:26 AM
Sweet song. Lovely vocals. Beautiful music by the band. Well done.
Posted By: PeterF Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/04/20 05:01 AM
Greg

Superb vocal and a lovely overall sound, perfectly fits the period. Wonderful sax solo as well which tops off a classic piece of songwriting.

Really excellent work.

Peter
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/04/20 02:00 PM
Excellent emulation of that period.

You voice is Crown Velvet smooth. Such a pleasure to listen to.

Good tune!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/04/20 05:02 PM
Nonpareil singing as usual. Song had great rhymes like "my dreams were untethered, my spirit is weathered." Terrific stuff! Another one for the vault.
Posted By: MarioD Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/04/20 08:45 PM
"Old Blue Eyes" would have loved this but Greg you did one hell of a job on this one. You captured that era perfectly. Loved the sax and the rest of the backing tracks. Your vocal was outstanding.

I agree with the others in that you should do a CD of this genre.
Posted By: tommyad Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/05/20 05:10 PM
Greg, The arrangement is stellar. An absolutely lovely vocal. That sax is perfect. If your eyes aren't blue they should be! A brilliant piece. Loved every note, Tom
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/05/20 05:47 PM
What a great feel and delivery. Greg. No surprise to me that I LOVE IT. In fact, I hit the Like button before Play. Wish there was a That's Amazing button. The strings are perfectly mixed --not overwhelming, yet subtly lifting the vocal to the clouds. Great sax solos. The whole band is perfectly chosen.
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/07/20 03:48 PM
What an awesome song Greg. Love how you can transition thru the different genres. Sax was very cool. Well done
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/08/20 03:09 PM
Perfect. laugh

Smooth vocals, melancholy lyrics; classic jazz group with distant strings, solo sax.

Love it!
Posted By: rsdean Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/08/20 03:25 PM
Greg,

This is simply superb...

Bob
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/08/20 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yes, I could definitely see Frank doing this one, and making a hit out of it too.

Period perfect from the excellent write to the instrumentation. Love the sax! And always love your vocal.

Excellent, Greg!

Thanks so much Dave!! Just listened to a great one by you guys.....your killing it!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Derochette Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/09/20 09:51 AM
Hi Greg,

Hi,

It's a beautiful nostalgic song with a text out of real feelings and soft music with an endearing saxophone solo.

Best regard

Dero13 alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/10/20 09:15 AM
Yikes , I almost missed this , luckily ,providentially ,fortuitously I found your beautiful creation !
This song is smoother than silk and the production is second to none . If "Cranky Franky" had heard this recording he would have rejected it because............he couldn't sing it as well as you! smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/11/20 03:46 PM
We've listened to most all of the crooners and swingers from the classic period.

Janice commented that from a more recent perspective this reminded her of some of the Linda Ronstadt / Nelson Riddle albums...even though they were big band in production.

Taking on that period must have been formidable but you pulled it off quite nicely.

Handing yourself an excellent composition certainly had to help smile

Lovely,

J&B
Posted By: japokeapeg Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/12/20 05:55 AM
Excellent! I can imagine listening to this in Ronnie Scott's. Lovely smooth, laid back feel
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/13/20 09:08 AM
Great song (and great vocals) Greg. I reckon Frank would've bought it.
This song has me hankering for a smooth whiskey.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: olemon Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/15/20 05:53 PM
Dude, this is fantastic! Your vocal performance is stellar and so is the mix. I mean, WOW!

Standing ovation.

Be well.

Scott

p.s. I haven't been around here much either.
Posted By: toucher Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/16/20 12:33 PM
Maybe try Michael Buble. Good write.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/16/20 06:10 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
What's the click at 8 seconds and 32 seconds in?
Those, I think it happens again but less obviously like at 1.40, some sibilance and the strange register drop/tone change near the end of the 1st sax solo, (2.16 after another click), are all I'd suggest need addressing.
Lovingly: a wonderfully done homage to an era of crooning.

Thanks Ray! I think the click is from the bass track....the upright? Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/16/20 06:11 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Greg,

Who needs Frank when we've got GREG??!!??!

You have such a wonderful voice - especially for this type tune. The perfect amount of smokey-whiskey-lived-in warm-raspy tone. Gorgeous.

One more beautiful write. Lyric and melody. Top tier.

The BAND is with you every step of the way. Good mix, too.

You should be making whole albums of this kind of stuff - and making a bunch of money from it!!!

Beautiful.

fj

You are much, much too kind my friend!!! And, I truly appreciate that! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/16/20 09:38 PM
Greg ...

This is my first listen on the forum in almost a week. When I saw your name attached to it ... how could I resist a listen" I mean ... seriously! Actually, I ended up listening three times, back-to-back.

All the precious accolades are spot on. If "classy and gorgeous music" were in a dictionary, they'd simply put a link to this song, knowing they could never define it better.

Velvet only wished it could be this smooth. And a lyric for the vaults. What a talent. You are simply amazing, my friend. A pretty song could ask for better friend. A gorgeous lyric that doesn't wax poetic ... just captures the listeners' senses then sets gently in his/her ears as it paints the hint of a smile on the lips.

Wishing you the very best. Please be safe ...

Alan

PS: Di says "Hi, Greg!" She's doing somewhat better. She's just so impatient for them to finish building our new house!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/18/20 02:44 AM
Greg,

Superb song!
Melancholic melody is sung very well with your soft voice.
I love the chord progression in which IIm7-V7-Imaj7 gradually changes down its key by whole notes.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/23/20 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Smooth..... when are you premiering on the Vegas strip? Seriously good stuff there. This kind of music is coming back with some of the newer singers....

So....I listened to see if I could hear what Rayc was talking about.... I didn't hear it but I'm also on some tiny computer speakers streaming it. So... if you go back and hear the things he mentioned..... I've had issues with such ghosts in the past. I would solo track by track and heard nothing out of the ordinary. However, I could hear something amiss in the mix. Often, it would come down to how 2 specific tracks were interfering with each other. Once I had it isolated to the offending tracks, a simple volume envelope that pulled one of the two down during that split second in the mix, would often fix the "glitch" and the track that got pulled down was never obviously missing for that short split second of time. Anyway.... yeah, I didn't hear anything in those places.... maybe I can listen later on better speakers or cans.

All that aside, that is a really superb piece of art. You vocals fit it perfectly. Nice, nice work.

Thanks so much Herb!! Really appreciate that! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/23/20 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Greg,

Very throwback and, yes, I could see a classic 40’s crooner like Sinatra doing a hell of a job on this . . . but you do it rather nicely here--always admire your vocal. Pretty stuff—terrific write (“in such darkness, I can’t find my feet” . . . boy, what a line!). Well done!

My best to you,

Deej

Thanks Deej! Always enjoy your tunes!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/23/20 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Greg
Love Sinatra (as a singer) and hopefully he would have had the good sense to agree to your pitch. But you make a wonderful job of it yourself. And great work with the lyrics, too. Nice period feel. Porter Berlin, Arlen, etc; they had such a wonderful way with words.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks Leon for those very kind words!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/23/20 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Sweet song. Lovely vocals. Beautiful music by the band. Well done.

Thanks so much! Much appreciated!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/23/20 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Greg

Superb vocal and a lovely overall sound, perfectly fits the period. Wonderful sax solo as well which tops off a classic piece of songwriting.

Really excellent work.

Peter

Thanks Peter! Yeah, loved the sax....sometimes BIAB sax really delivers!! Listened a bit ago to your newest with J and B....AWESOME!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/23/20 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Excellent emulation of that period.

You voice is Crown Velvet smooth. Such a pleasure to listen to.

Good tune!

Thanks so much!! Really appreciate your kind words!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/23/20 10:35 PM
Greg,
Silky smooth tune. Ace composition and performance. Very enjoyable. Tasteful music will remain good music regardless if it was written an hour or two hundred years ago. Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/24/20 12:58 PM
Greg,
A silky showcase for the ever relaxed and intimate feel of your vocals.This is an excellent write too: some great lines,like:

I’m no poet, but baby when I weigh the cost
Soaring high was just not worth the fall

Classy work from our resident crooner!

Robert
Posted By: Chris Dent Re: NEW SONG POST: Whatyadone to me - 08/24/20 10:28 PM
Brilliant song. Really well produced. Thanks, I really enjoyed everything about this.

The auto play went next to The Moon Just Seems To Know which is absolutely beautiful as well.

I love your composition and arranging. Very nice.
© PG Music Forums