PG Music Home
Posted By: Gary Weder Empty Tank Blues - 08/08/20 01:40 AM
Hello talented and creative biab community.
I am still on a "Luv Lost " bent.

In my youth (300 years ago) , I had a GF who had the good sense to dump me explaining that she was fed up with my wild ways and that her "tank was empty"
Well I was shattered , lost the girl................... but gained a song .

Empty Tank Blues

Well anyways , the ever reliable biab takes care of buisness while I madly bang away at my piano.

As always I appreiciate that you take the time to listen and comment and I welcome constructive criticism which helps to improve.
Also I was thinking that perhaps I should ease up on my song postings for fear of wearing out my welcome.

The "Band" :
Tempo 85 Key of C
673 Organ
2425 Bass
Real Drums Blues Rock Shuffle.
1734 Guitar
1925 Guitar
385 Guitar (good for blues solos)

Me :
Reluctant Vocals (btw , thank you for all your nice encouragement)
Acoustic Piano.

_lyrics_

My tank is empty , my well is dry
got no enjoyment , I don't know why
sure wish i knew , just what to do
my tank is empty , thinking of you

I went to war , to fight the fight
you shot me down , all through the night
my heart is sinking ,you left me bleeding

So won't you tell me , what's on your mind
you give me trouble , you're so unkind
you knocked me down , and fooled around

A lot of pain , all through the day
I got to thinking , I'll change my ways
I'll start again , next time i'll win
now my tank is spilling , all over you.
Posted By: rayc Re: Empty Tank Blues - 08/08/20 06:05 AM
That's a nice old style slow rocker.
I'd have preferred the piano intro to be centred and then the piano panned to the left for the verses n chorus.
Playing the piano solo & guitar at the same time was a bit weird..I didn't know what to listen to. I think you'd have been better off with one then the other since there are two such breaks. The guitar solo is a bit frenetic for the pace of the song too.
I enjoyed the melody, the vocal delivery, (right for the song), and the general arrangement.
Nice job.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Empty Tank Blues - 08/08/20 09:40 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
That's a nice old style slow rocker.
I'd have preferred the piano intro to be centred and then the piano panned to the left for the verses n chorus.
Playing the piano solo & guitar at the same time was a bit weird..I didn't know what to listen to. I think you'd have been better off with one then the other since there are two such breaks. The guitar solo is a bit frenetic for the pace of the song too.
I enjoyed the melody, the vocal delivery, (right for the song), and the general arrangement.
Nice job.

ray did a good job of mentioning pretty much everything I though as I listened. Overall, the mix was good, though I felt the guitar was panned harder (to the right) than my ear would want it (a personal choice, I suppose).

The music is "feel good" - which works for the you-left-me lyric and the vocal is quite well done. Those thing made it a fun song to listen to.

fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Empty Tank Blues - 08/08/20 05:18 PM
We are always down with a blues shuffle and, regardless of your thoughts, you voice is just fine.
We likely mentioned it earlier but it has soul. And that's what we always look for in a vocal or solo.

We like the band choice and your piano banging smile

Nice hook too.

Regarding the mix you've already received some thoughtful comments on it. When we made the
big genre switch from bluegrass to Americana/Blues I frequently used a reference song when mixing
particularly regarding the panning. Could be helpful. Dunno.

Be safe.

J&B

PS You mentioned: "Also I was thinking that perhaps I should ease up on my song postings for fear of wearing out my welcome." As long as you post them one song per post there are no forum rules on the number. Personally I prefer letting each of our songs get maximum exposure as long as folks are kind enough to listen. That typically means having only one "active" at a time. And FWIW I think of "inactive" as being when our song has fallen off the front page with no new comments and no remaining responses from us. A BIG ole grain of salt smile Just some remarks from our nine years here. Time do fly.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Empty Tank Blues - 08/08/20 08:52 PM
Ray wrote >"Playing the piano solo & guitar at the same time was a bit weird..I didn't know what to listen to. I think you'd have been better off with one then the other since there are two such breaks"<

Floyd wrote >"I felt the guitar was panned harder (to the right) than my ear would want it"<

Thank you Ray and Floyd.
Yes I can hear those issues now and it's back to the mixing console (laptop) I go.
What a great free resource this forum is having such esteemed expertise on tap to offer helpful advice. I really appreciate your input.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Empty Tank Blues - 08/08/20 08:56 PM
Hi Janice and Bud.
Thank you for your always valuable feedback, advice and kind words.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Empty Tank Blues - 08/08/20 09:37 PM
Yup, a good old down home rocker. Your voice sounds good. No need to be reluctant.

I like your lyrical turn at the end.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Empty Tank Blues - 08/09/20 06:55 PM
Thanks Ezekiel for listening and nice comments. I am looking forward to your next song posting.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Empty Tank Blues - 08/09/20 06:59 PM
Hi Johny . Thanks for listening and welcome.
regards Gary (a long suffering Wallabies supporter.)
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Empty Tank Blues - 08/09/20 09:06 PM
Nice bluesy little number, Gary. Your vocal sounds fine to me, as does your piano pounding.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Empty Tank Blues - 08/10/20 02:29 AM
Hi Leon.
I hope this reply finds you safe and well.
Nothing like some simple 8 bar to blow away the cob webs.
Thank you for your nice comments.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Empty Tank Blues - 08/12/20 09:29 PM
Really cool blues here!!! Really like the concept (great metaphor)! You deliver the vocal in such a natural, soulful way!! Great stuff Gary!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: jannesan Re: Empty Tank Blues - 08/13/20 02:44 PM
Always nice to read about the inspiration behind the song, in this case I like the irony in the title: you got the last laugh smile The idea has evolved into clever lyrics. I enjoyed your singing and piano playing. Great band, especially the guitars, turning the old blues progression into something fresh.

Janne
© PG Music Forums