PG Music Home
Just the one more, I promise.

https://soundcloud.com/jamesdelsono/ave-maria-2019?in=jamesdelsono/sets/greatest-hits

Two years ago, almost to the day, I finished (with BIAB's wonderful help) writing the song above. Anyway, I was listening to it today and I realised I wasn't happy with the original recording, so - long story short - I re-recorded and re-mastered the whole thing. Hope it's ok to re-post it after two years, given all of this?

Thanks so much for listening/viewing and for any comments!

Technical notes:

I'm afraid I don't have the original BIAB file any more - so can't tell what the original style was, beyond the fact that I remember it was something like: "Smooth Americana" or something like that. SORRY :-(

The voice was recorded today in Audacity and mixed there too. I then went to BandLab and mastered it there, with the "Large Studio Reverb" effect.
James, this is another outstanding recording. This is the 2nd song on here tonight that's brought a lump to my throat. I get very emotional listing to ballads such as this one, and this was no exception, you have a superb touch for tugging at the heart strings. Thank you again
James this is brilliant! Absolutely brilliant.

Super message!

This is your best to date! That is all I need to say.
Very moving. Well done.
Well, you've all been so kind, you've kind of rendered me speechless here (no mean feat, some of my friends would say!). Thank you.

furry: you're, as always, way too kind - but I'm glad you enjoyed the song. Talking about being moved emotionally, I'm still remembering your latest accordion piece which I've commented on. I struggle to recall when I've been so emotionally moved by a performance like that lately ... so I'm glad that you enjoyed what I managed to create, too - thanks.

MarioD: thank you! If you liked it, then something must be right with it :-) - thanks!

jptjptjpt: thanks. Glad you enjoyed it!
Kudos James on a fine production.

Lovely video and a fine message!

J&B
James,
Interesting re-make. You are definitely getting better in your mixing / production skills.
Vocals sit well in the mix, but I think they would benefit more reverb to blend it better.

I am not sure if somebody had mentioned this or not. There are plugins that will suppress "breath" sound in vocals. I have an older Izotope Nectar 2 suit that has this plugin, that I use from time to time. I am sure there are others that are very similar. I know there are different techniques that one can try to eliminate breath sound, but plugin is very effective. You just put it on your vocal track, set amount and it will do the magic.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Your mixing is getting really good.
The "mastering" in bandlab is always a huge compromise but easy and sometimes it works.
The vocal is a little above the backing but works well enough.
As Misha mentioned - there are a few sibilant and breath things that can be eliminated but, as it stands, their presence doesn't distract much at all.
James, I remember listening to this back when you originally posted it, and I remember really enjoying it. I don't remember the arrangement or mix, but this version is so nice, peaceful, and lets you relate your prayer-message so effectively. I'm sure she hears you! Thanks for continuing to improve your already-fine work!
Wow I think this is my favorite piece of music you have done. Well done.
Thanks so much, everyone!

Janice, Bud, Scott and Tano: wow. So kind of you! I am really so glad you enjoyed it ... this little track is one of my favourites, too, so I am always happy if it strikes a chord with someone! Let’s hope that the prayer is indeed heard, as you say, Tano ... I think we’d all enjoy some better times around here.

Misha and Ray: thanks! I am glad that my mixing is getting better. I have next to no idea as to what I am doing there, so that’s always a bonus. I will look into de-breathers, de-essers, etc. - I worry about the end result sounding artificial - but, if that’s a false worry, why not? Thanks so much for your genuinely kind suggestions and for having taken the time to listen and comment!
Hi James ...

An excellent production! So nicely arranged with beautiful backing tracks. And your voice-over is really nice. I would suggest a bit of reverb on the voice and, perhaps, cut back just the smallest amount on the vocal EQ. Just my thoughts, for what they're worth.

Very, very pretty with an appropriate and beautiful message. Kudos!!!

Wishing you the best. Please stay safe.

Alan
Thank you Alan, thanks so much. I will see what I can do with the reverb and the EQ. This kinda thing terrifies me, as a complete novice at it, but one's gotta learn at some point, right? :-)

Thanks again - and you too, please stay safe!!!
Artistic and effective.

I want to go back and remix almost every song I've recorded so far.

Why do you record and mix with Audacity? I'm not using Sonar anymore, but Cakewalk by Bandlab is still the same full-featured DAW.

Take care.
Thanks Scott H. The reason I mix with Audacity is that I have a phobia of DAWs ... and I've learned to use Audacity reasonably well. I'm a bit terrified of the learning curve with Cakewalk, BUT ... I really ought to get over that and see what I can do with it, as it IS superior to Audacity, of course.

Thanks for listening and for your comments!
© PG Music Forums