PG Music Home
Posted By: Deej56 Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/10/20 10:05 PM
Hi, all:

A new collaboration with John Vaughan. A couple of months back I asked John to come up with some lyrics I could have some fun with. While the melody came quickly on this one, it took me a little bit to get around to doing a BIAB version (July just wasn't a very productive month for me laugh ) Anyway, with a few tweaks to the original lyrics, here’s where we ended up. Appreciate as always comments on the production aspects. And thanks in advance for the listen—hope you enjoy it!

My best to you all,

Deej

Here’s the song:

LET'S LEAVE BEHIND THIS CRAZY WORLD

Here are the lyrics:

I’m tired of putting on my city suit,
that same old rat race I run everyday.
Fender to fender and boots to boots—
Come on, buddy, get out of my way!

I daydream about us breaking away,
sailing off to the great seas beyond.
There’s nothing here to make us stay.
We’ll be castaways chasing the sun

Let’s get a slow boat, and sail the seas—
forget about this crazy world.
Lift our faces to that ocean breeze
and leave behind this crazy world.

We’ll drop anchor off exotic isles;
walk barefoot across silver sands;
where palm trees grow, and there’s no one for miles—
Just you and me with no better plans.

On the beach till midnight,
a crackling fire and salty kisses,
as we dance across the moonlit shore.
Then back to the boat
to spend the night on deck—
I’ll tell you all my dreams, then you’ll tell yours.

And here’s the band:

RealTracks 1417: Bass, Electric, RootsRock
RealTracks 2767: Cuatro, Rhythm PuertoRicoAguinaldo
RealTracks 1606: Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Pop16ths
RealTracks 1608: Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16ths
RealTracks 3523: Marimba, Rhythm IslandGroove Ev16 100
RealTracks 1947: Mandolin, Rhythm PopModern
RealDrums: SynthDrumsDisco^4-a:Snare Busy, Kick , b: Muted Bass, Snare
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/10/20 10:12 PM
It is a style of music that I am not very comfortable with when it comes to commenting, so I can just say that it was a pleasure for me to listen to. And in my opinion your vocal is really good.

Will
Posted By: PeterF Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/10/20 10:23 PM
Deej

Very enjoyable, loved the chorus, superb vocal (and harmonies) throughout, liked the lyric and melody.

A top quality production.

Peter
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/10/20 10:34 PM
Cool song. I love the arrangement. Good lyrics and vocals. Country-Reggae. Nice touch. Good job to both of you.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/10/20 11:36 PM
Deej,

It is a very interesting BAND that you put together. It combines to create a nice get-away-island kind of sound while being "fresh" and original.

Nice vocals throughout. And a good mix.

fj
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/11/20 04:45 AM
Sounds good to me, Deej, nice melody and I always enjoy your vocals.

Good collaboration!
Posted By: musician17 Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/11/20 05:16 AM
Yay - Deej is back! :-) You know I'm useless at commenting on the production aspects of a song, but ... I really enjoyed the song. Beautiful, tropical sounds ... upbeat, great singing from you ... loved it. If I had a girlfriend/partner I wanted to convince to drop everything and run away with me, this is the song I'd use :-) . I'm always, myself, but a step away from dropping everything and disappearing onto some remote island ... that step away being called simply: money. But I digress. Superb lyrics, too, from John Vaughan ... I love it when a song has its lyrics as well crafted as this. All in all, a wonderfully upbeat song, professionally done in every way from where I'm standing ... and scarily convincing to get one to do just what it says :-) Well done!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/11/20 12:50 PM
Deej,
Your vocal captures the upbeat vibe of the lyrics and music so well.
Its an irresistible package that had me singing along.
Well done!

Robert
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/11/20 01:11 PM
Cool band. That marimba player doesn't want to quite. I like the chord structure of all three parts. Speaking of 3 parts, the harmony is perfect. Great vocals, Deej. Really catchy song. The verse lets us know we got a fun song to listen to, the chorus gets us to realize it's a great sing along, then the bridge take us to a new level where we happily let it up to the professionals to wow us.
Posted By: toucher Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/11/20 03:55 PM
I have to say well done all the way around.
Nice toe tapper. Catchy melody, and isn't that what most songwriters want? Good vocal as usual. I too like your choice of band--an nice, pleasant, feel-good sound.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/11/20 10:23 PM
Deej & John
Good one. Easy listening getaway tune. Excellent, clear vocals and production. Enjoyed it!
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/11/20 10:42 PM
Oh yeah, I know that feeling. Lovely piece of escapism. Great lyrics and (of course) excellent vocals and harmonies. Much enjoyed.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: rayc Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/12/20 03:31 AM
The verses seem to exercise your county leanings.
The verses are also very narrow in the stereo image...the chorus break out wider and that's an interesting dynamic that sets them apart.
Excellent vocals and the harmony section was even better.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/12/20 03:20 PM
Great vocals and a most cool band.

"Let’s get a slow boat, and sail the seas—
"

And a cool write that makes us want to hit the road, or the air or the water or ANYTHiNG!

Love the band ... island hints, reggae hints, country hints -- just a great mashup.

Nice!

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/12/20 05:56 PM
Deej, I am a big fan of your vocals. You can really deliver a lyric! Great low harmonies on the chorus. Perfect choices on th real tracks and the write is terrific. Bravo, Tom
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/12/20 10:07 PM
AMEN!!!! Ready to depart!! This is a really catchy, pleasant, happy tune!! A 3 minute vacation...just what I needed!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/13/20 09:01 AM
Deej....I’ll echo all my friends commented on the unique nature of the band to put together… I think it works great! The melody was fun, the lyrics easy on the ears, and the production is just right. Very enjoyable listen!
Nice happy, interesting song Deej. The chorus harmonies are great. That refrain near the end ("On the beach till midnight..." etc) is terrific.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/14/20 06:33 PM
Great vox as usual, nice hooky song with a great bridge, it all came together well.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/14/20 09:42 PM
I'm late and everything that I wanted to say already has been said. Outstanding groove, vocal, lyrics, and mix. I could see Jimmy Buffett doing this one.
Deej,

Superb vocal and harmonies as usual!
The song is very happy.
A unique sound like a tropical country folk with a British rock feeling somewhere is wonderful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Al-David Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/25/20 04:05 AM
Hi Deej ...

Uh, what time does the boat leave? I'll pay for my passage when I get there.

Everything about this is top notch. Great and interesting band, terrific mix and your vocals always inspire. Love the EQ you've settled on for your vocals. you really found the sweet spot!

Great song ... thanks for a terrific listen! best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/25/20 05:57 AM
Hello Deej,

Very nice song you made, with that tropical touch!
You sang about an old dream of me, but now that I have my cats... it still stays a nice dream.

I told you before I like your kind of music and the vocals. This song is no exception on that.
You done it again with making this nice, catchy song!

Hans
Posted By: olemon Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/25/20 11:10 AM
A solid write with a fun, island groove befitting the lyrics. Well done.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Let's Leave Behind This Crazy World - 08/27/20 01:00 AM
Will, Peter, jpt3, Floyd, Dave, James, Robert, Marty, Toucher, Ezekiel, Misha, Leon, rayc, J&B, Tommy, Greg, Tano, Mike, Tunemonger, Mario, Shigeki, Alan, Hans, and olemon:

Sigh . . . I’ve been away from the board a bit too long (again!). But really pleased the song seemed to work for everyone. Two of my favorite songs that I have done with John were lyrics he wrote in 15 minutes (and a melody that I wrote just as quickly). So looking for something fun to do, I challenged John to write a song in 15 minutes and this is pretty much what he sent (I altered only a few lines). I like it as much as the other two—and it was a fun song to work on. Thanks again for the listen and kind feedback.

My best to each of you,

Deej
© PG Music Forums