PG Music Home
Posted By: Frankp I Was Weighed Down - 08/18/20 01:10 PM
Song Title: I Was Weighed Down

Background: I wrote this after I went through a DVD guitar instruction course by the master jazz guitarist Robert Conti. He liked it enough that it is a featured video on his web site, https://www.robertconti.com/players-gallery/

It's a short fun video that features some of the concepts from the course.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Weighed Down
File:Weighed Down.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=1:44
No intro. 48 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 48. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _LAZYJZM.STY (Piano Trio Medium Slow)

RealTracks in style: ~768:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Sw 110
RealDrums [in style:JazzBrushes: a: Brushes Swirling b: Brushes Busier

I used the DAW Reaper,
No effects on the BIAB tracks
Guitars were through a Quilter Micropro amp mic'd with an sm57, EQ and compression plugins in Reaper
Vocal, MCA SP1, In reaper EQ Compression Tape Saturation, In a bus ReaVerb plugin with a smallplate IR

Posted By: Tano Music Re: I Was Weighed Down - 08/19/20 08:30 AM
Stuck in the pentatonics, eh? Nice break out! I love this type of simple jazz blues. I can't comment on the recording aspects of guitar work, but I really enjoyed the performance and the overall sound. Very pleasing!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: I Was Weighed Down - 08/21/20 10:20 AM
Pretty cool jazz number there Frank

You certainly delivered a smooth vibe to the song and production, something like a cross between Michael Franks and Vince Jones.

Really liked it.
Posted By: Derochette Re: I Was Weighed Down - 08/21/20 05:41 PM
Hello
Well done composition with a well worked guitar solo. The video really plunges us into the atmosphere you wanted to create.

Best regard

Dero13 alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Was Weighed Down - 08/21/20 07:56 PM
You have excellent chops Frank. I liked the tonal differences between your jazz box and your tele!
Posted By: Chris Dent Re: I Was Weighed Down - 08/23/20 01:01 AM
Cool!
Posted By: Al-David Re: I Was Weighed Down - 08/23/20 05:38 AM
Hi Frank ...

Totally loved it! I, too, finger pick on almost all my songs. Nice tone on both guitars and really smooth playing. You have a nice touch on the strings.

Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Mark Rhodes Re: I Was Weighed Down - 08/23/20 12:39 PM
Sounding good, Frank!
No surprise to me that Conti would enjoy that.
You get great guitar sounds and your mixes are crisp.

Speaking of Conti, I found a .50mm Tortex Jazz III pick the other day and have been using it since. (Conti uses a .38mm Nylon pick which makes a feather seem stiff.)
Posted By: Frankp Re: I Was Weighed Down - 08/23/20 01:24 PM
Wow all, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Stuck in the pentatonics, eh? Nice break out! I love this type of simple jazz blues. I can't comment on the recording aspects of guitar work, but I really enjoyed the performance and the overall sound. Very pleasing!

Yeah, "pentatonic box" made for a good phrase for a bit of a tongue in cheek lyric. Thanks

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Pretty cool jazz number there Frank

You certainly delivered a smooth vibe to the song and production, something like a cross between Michael Franks and Vince Jones.

Really liked it.

Michael Franks and Vince Jones, those are some smooth voices! 62 years old and still trying to figure out my voice. We've got to work with what we have. Cheers.

Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello
Well done composition with a well worked guitar solo. The video really plunges us into the atmosphere you wanted to create.

Best regard

Dero13 alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks... I really think I sold it to Conti with the line "Until Set Free by Robert Conti"

Originally Posted By: MarioD
You have excellent chops Frank. I liked the tonal differences between your jazz box and your tele!

Thanks... Listening back, that Tele is kind of squeaky clean, definitely a contrast. I often like a little bit of overdrive to thicken it up a bit.

Originally Posted By: Chris Dent
Cool!

Thanks for listening.

Originally Posted By: Chris Dent
Cool!
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Frank ...

Totally loved it! I, too, finger pick on almost all my songs. Nice tone on both guitars and really smooth playing. You have a nice touch on the strings.

Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan

Yes, be safe... It's been an evolution and recently I realized I'm using fingers much more than a pick. I've had some health issues and my nails have become prone to chipping and cracking. So now I cut my nails short so there's pretty much just flesh hitting the strings. Turns out, I really like the tone of flesh on the strings. Cheers

Originally Posted By: Milkweed
Sounding good, Frank!
No surprise to me that Conti would enjoy that.
You get great guitar sounds and your mixes are crisp.

Speaking of Conti, I found a .50mm Tortex Jazz III pick the other day and have been using it since. (Conti uses a .38mm Nylon pick which makes a feather seem stiff.)

Hey Mark, good to see you here.
Posted By: dcuny Re: I Was Weighed Down - 08/23/20 06:02 PM
Haha! smile

I enjoyed the advert and your playing! Excellent work!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I Was Weighed Down - 08/23/20 09:14 PM
Congrats!! And great playing!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Was Weighed Down - 08/24/20 04:08 PM
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing ... excellent!

Great tone with those fingers. We do think there's something special to that tone as we tend to like it with many of our fav blues players.

The vid was cool and well illustrated.

Nice all the way around...guitar, vocal and backing tracks.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

PS You asked about snare doubling in your response to our current song. If you look in the respective BiaB drum folder for your RD you will find an audio file that has the drum playing for a few minutes and at the end of the file are the sounds of each component of the drum kit. I cut out, for example, the snare sound and import it to my DAW (Logic Pro X) where I use the "groove track" function to get the doubled track immediately aligned with the RD snare hits. Dunno if your DAW has a similar function but you can manually align them...takes 20-30 minutes to do it that way. Since the RD is a, well real drummer, all of the hits will not be perfectly timed so you can't just align the doubled snare to the bar counts. Been doing it for years. And, of course, you can put whatever processing you prefer just on the snare or whatever you doubled. Hope this makes sense smile

Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Was Weighed Down - 08/28/20 10:22 AM
Frank,

Excellent! Nice playing. Smooth and jazzy. Love your tone.

And a very nice video - enjoyable to see both guitars...

Nice!

fj
© PG Music Forums