PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Final Sundown - 08/24/20 12:02 AM
Final Sundown
(c) 2020 Alan D. David, BMI All Rights Reserved

I don't usually post songs this close together ... just 4 days since my last post. But, as things are now, I'm never sure when I'll have the opportunity to post a new one. I'm not trying to hog the board!

I threw this one together one afternoon several months ago while Di was at the hospital getting an infusion. It's pretty straight forward with a minimum of backing tracks (all acoustic) and a rather simple arrangement. Perhaps 4 hours invested. Hope you might enjoy it.

I have quite a few of these quick "throw-togethers". I gotta do something while Di gets her infusions and the various related treatments. So, I take my laptop and headphones and then see what happens after I fire up BIAB. Everything you hear, I did at the clinic ... nothing else when I got home ... just raw from the chord input sheet and then straight into Audacity. I spent about 20 minutes tinkering with it in Audacity.

Will reply to comments as quickly as time permits.

Thanks in advance. Also, the new music ya'll been putting up in recent weeks is just fabulous! A tip of the hat to all of you ....

File:Final Sundown.SGU

Key=F , Tempo 115, Length (m:s)=3:28

Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,
Style is _FIELDS.STY (Fields Acoustic Indie Pop w Solo)

RealTracks in style: 3122:Bass, Acoustic, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2930:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkRock8thsBrent Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 2933:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking SongwriterFolkSlapQuinn Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 3199:Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist PopBalladMellowBrent Ev 130
Loop in Song: Drums\SkaSlowClassicWesPerc^1-SS24,SQK
Loop in Song: Drums\ShakerEven8ths
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleBrushesEasyBluegrass: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes, Stick
Posted By: rayc Re: Final Sundown - 08/24/20 05:42 AM
Cool.
Toe tapping stuff.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Final Sundown - 08/24/20 03:58 PM
Well done Al.

You do all RT/RD productions in a creative and engaging manner.
Not an easy thing to accomplish..

The soloist RT sounds excellent.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Derochette Re: Final Sundown - 08/24/20 04:58 PM
Hello Alan,

Superb arrangement. The lead guitar is well done with a lot of variations. Very pleasant composition

Best regard

Dero13 alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Final Sundown - 08/24/20 07:16 PM
I see this as the soundtrack for the scene of a waitress thinking back to the nice first date she had with a debonair young man she just met.

Nice work!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Final Sundown - 08/24/20 08:09 PM
Al, you are a master at picking the perfect RTs for you compositions. This is just awesome. Get mix also.

PS - we expect another masterpiece in 4 days.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 03:11 AM
Alan,

Very nice acoustic sound!
It's a high-grade example of ambience music.
The combination of guitars is wonderful.
The loops give a good accent to this tune.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 03:45 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Cool.
Toe tapping stuff.

Thanks a bunch, Ray. Glad it works for you. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 03:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Well done Al.

You do all RT/RD productions in a creative and engaging manner.
Not an easy thing to accomplish..

The soloist RT sounds excellent.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Howdy!

Thanks so much for the listen and very nice comments! The RTs and RDs seem to come fairly easily to me. So, i cannot claim and "special ability" in my choices. I If I have a musical agenda when I begin, I usually have a fairly good idea of which tracks I want to use. However, when I do extemporaneous "playing around", I will often try a lot of different sounds ... sometimes they work out okay.

Again, thanks a bunch! Best to you and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 03:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello Alan,

Superb arrangement. The lead guitar is well done with a lot of variations. Very pleasant composition

Best regard

Dero13 alias JaniJackFlash

Hello Dero13 ...

So nice of you to drop in for a listen. I'm delighted it all seems to work for you ... thanks for letting me know. Wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 03:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I see this as the soundtrack for the scene of a waitress thinking back to the nice first date she had with a debonair young man she just met.

Nice work!

Hi Ez ...

Thank you so much for the encouraging comments. I think the scenario you described is very appropriate. Perhaps, also, a young lady walking around her house doing small chores with the hint of a smile on her face.

I always appreciate your insights and supportive comments.

Wishing you the very best. Please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 03:57 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Al, you are a master at picking the perfect RTs for you compositions. This is just awesome. Get mix also.

PS - we expect another masterpiece in 4 days.

Hey Mario ...

Well, I'm not so sure I'm the master of anything, other than often saying Yes, ma'am. Would you like that today or yesterday?" to my wife But it sure is nice to hear/read you suggest something so kind. I don't know about every four days, but at least a time or two a month might work. As I mentioned in my song narrative, I have more than a dozen of the instrumentals I've not posted here. I few I can't post because there are no BIAB tracks on them. But I'll sort through them and pick one out from time-to-time. Thanks for asking!

Best to you and yours. Be safe, my friend ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 03:59 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Alan,

Very nice acoustic sound!
It's a high-grade example of ambience music.
The combination of guitars is wonderful.
The loops give a good accent to this tune.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki ...

Thank you for listening and commenting so nicely. You are a very accomplished musician/composer and your comments are always taken with sincerity. Thank you very much! best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: furry Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 06:22 AM
Alan, this is outstanding, REALLY love it. An all round cracker !
Posted By: olemon Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 10:37 AM
Ain't it funny how the ones that are 'thrown together' end up being hits!

Those guitars and all of the RT's fit together so well. You must be doing some editing somewhere along the line, aren't you?

In any case, this is excellent.

Prayers.

Scott
Posted By: Frankp Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 10:55 AM
Sounds great, really clean and clear production. Thanks for sharing.

Prayers for Di.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 06:18 PM
Alan, this is unbelievable that you can put something so high quality together in such a short time. Obviously your experience makes this kind of second nature to put together the chord structure. You have certainly developed a knack for editing and regenerating leads to make it cohesive. Another fantastic instrumental,Tom
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 06:23 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
Alan, this is outstanding, REALLY love it. An all round cracker !

Graham ...

And I REALLY loved your comment! Thank you so much. I'm more than delighted you enjoyed it. Thanks so much for telling me. Wishing you and Kay the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 06:44 PM
Originally Posted By: olemon

Those guitars and all of the RT's fit together so well. You must be doing some editing somewhere along the line, aren't you?

Prayers.

Scott

Hello Scott ...

Man, it's just so nice to have you hanging around the Users Form lately!

I was very pleased with how the two acoustic backing guitars mutually complemented. I had used each of them at one time or another in previous recordings, but I don't think I've put them together before. Wondering how that would work, they were the first two tracks I selected. Everything else came after that. I had a pretty good idea which acoustic lead would work best, and it did. I tried out several drum and bass tracks before settling on the ones I chose. After that, just chord entry and poof ... a song!

The only editing I've ever done, from day one with BIAB, is what I can do on the chord input sheet. Whatever that little BIAB mixer, in the upper right-hand corner, can give me is all I use with the exception of a little massaging in Audacity. About all I do in Audacity is apply a small of compression when needed and fine tune the EQ. After that, I export as both a WAV file and a high bit rate mp3. And voila ... I'm done.

Audacity is the closest thing I have to a DAW, and I use it just for the basics - EQ, compression, plus fade-ins and fade-outs. I have no mixing or mastering software; nor do I have any third party VSTs.

Likewise, I do not use a mixer for vocals. I plug my AT 2035 into my TC-Helicon vocal effects, from there to my Peavey Nashville 112 guitar amp and the guitar amp into the mic input on my computer. I get all my vocal tone and reverb from the guitar amp ... I MUCH prefer spring reverb to digital reverb. Thus, I do not record vocals dry ... they already have reverb and tone adjustments coming through the amp at the time of recording.

Probably *A LOT* more than you wanted, but that I would condense my recording technique for what it's worth.

Thanks for the wonderful comments! Wishing you the very best and please be safe.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 06:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Frankp
Sounds great, really clean and clear production. Thanks for sharing.

Prayers for Di.

Hi Frank ...

Thanks so much for the listen. I'm glad you enjoyed your listen. And I appreciate the kind comments! Also, thank you for Di's well wishes. She struggles a lot, but she hangs in there.

Wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/25/20 07:07 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Alan, this is unbelievable that you can put something so high quality together in such a short time. Obviously your experience makes this kind of second nature to put together the chord structure. You have certainly developed a knack for editing and regenerating leads to make it cohesive. Another fantastic instrumental,Tom

Hello Tom ...

Hope all is well with you. We're chugging along.

Thank you so much for your very, very kind words. All I can say is that chord patterns just seem to come to me without a lot of contemplation. I can hear the chords in my head and know what they're going to sound like and how they will work in an arrangement. For me, that's the easiest part of the whole process. If you read my reply to Scott (Oleman), I explain my recording process. And literally, that's all I ever do with the recordings I make. Rarely do my instrumentals take more than a day to compose, record and post.

Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: PeterF Re: Final Sundown - 08/26/20 09:32 PM
Alan

That was lovely. A really pleasant easy listen.

Well constructed and mixed.

Peter
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Final Sundown - 08/27/20 01:03 AM
Alan,

Really crisp production on this song. The acoustic guitar feels so alive and present. And the shakers were not only a great choice but really pop and more the song up a notch. Vibrant instrumental, well worth the listen. Great work!

My best to you,

Deej
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/27/20 01:36 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Alan

That was lovely. A really pleasant easy listen.

Well constructed and mixed.

Peter

Thank you so much, Peter. I'm delighted it works for you. Appreciate the listen and nice comments!

Wishing you the best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/27/20 01:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Alan,

Really crisp production on this song. The acoustic guitar feels so alive and present. And the shakers were not only a great choice but really pop and more the song up a notch. Vibrant instrumental, well worth the listen. Great work!

My best to you,

Deej

Hello Deej ...

Thanks for taking a few minutes ti have a listen. I was very pleased with the acoustic lead. It's an RT I use fairly often. Appreciate the mention of the shakers. I thought they gave the chorus a little bit of "sparkle". Nicer yo know you agree! Again, many thanks. Wishing you the best. Take care.

Alan
Posted By: musician17 Re: Final Sundown - 08/28/20 11:39 AM
Beautiful! Wish I could write like that "at short notice", so to speak. Listened to this with a smile!

Prayers and all best wishes and thoughts to you and your wife - thanks for creating these beautiful little masterpieces for us to enjoy!!!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/28/20 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
Beautiful! Wish I could write like that "at short notice", so to speak. Listened to this with a smile!

Prayers and all best wishes and thoughts to you and your wife - thanks for creating these beautiful little masterpieces for us to enjoy!!!

Hello James ...

It's always a pleasure when you drop in for a listen and leave such nice comments! Most of my instrumentals are a rather quick "throw together". I usually have them completed, start to finish, in a day or two ... usually 4 - 8 hours total. I use a very crude and simplistic recording/mixing process. I'm glad it leaves you with a pleasant listen.

Thanks again. wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: olemon Re: Final Sundown - 08/29/20 10:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Originally Posted By: olemon

Prayers.

Scott

Hello Scott ...

Man, it's just so nice to have you hanging around the Users Form lately!

I was very pleased with how the two acoustic backing guitars mutually complemented. I had used each of them at one time or another in previous recordings, but I don't think I've put them together before. Wondering how that would work, they were the first two tracks I selected. Everything else came after that. I had a pretty good idea which acoustic lead would work best, and it did. I tried out several drum and bass tracks before settling on the ones I chose. After that, just chord entry and poof ... a song!

The only editing I've ever done, from day one with BIAB, is what I can do on the chord input sheet. Whatever that little BIAB mixer, in the upper right-hand corner, can give me is all I use with the exception of a little massaging in Audacity. About all I do in Audacity is apply a small of compression when needed and fine tune the EQ. After that, I export as both a WAV file and a high bit rate mp3. And voila ... I'm done.

Audacity is the closest thing I have to a DAW, and I use it just for the basics - EQ, compression, plus fade-ins and fade-outs. I have no mixing or mastering software; nor do I have any third party VSTs.

Likewise, I do not use a mixer for vocals. I plug my AT 2035 into my TC-Helicon vocal effects, from there to my Peavey Nashville 112 guitar amp and the guitar amp into the mic input on my computer. I get all my vocal tone and reverb from the guitar amp ... I MUCH prefer spring reverb to digital reverb. Thus, I do not record vocals dry ... they already have reverb and tone adjustments coming through the amp at the time of recording.

Probably *A LOT* more than you wanted, but that I would condense my recording technique for what it's worth.

Thanks for the wonderful comments! Wishing you the very best and please be safe.

Alan

No, Alan, thanks for sharing all of that. Now I'm even more amazed!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Final Sundown - 08/29/20 10:32 AM
Alan.

WOW. Your are SO good at this!!

A great listen. An Excellent mix. Keeps the ear entertained every second. JUST the way an instrumental should be.

I cannot believe that you do this without a full-blown DAW to mix in. Insane! Talent! A real testimonial to the power of BIAB in the right hands. Amazing.

One of the only times I've heard an instrumental on the forum (or anywhere) that made me want to write lyrics for it...

I LOVED it!

fj
Posted By: toucher Re: Final Sundown - 08/29/20 02:23 PM
Very nice, light and bright feel good music. Nice composition everything works well together and a very good mix well done.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Final Sundown - 08/29/20 09:26 PM
Sounds like "the real thing", which is probably as good a compliment as I can give. laugh
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Final Sundown - 08/29/20 09:31 PM
Good stuff, great for jamming along with, which I did with gusto! Thanks!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/29/20 10:35 PM
He Everyone ...

I almost hate to bring this one back from page 2, but there have been quite a few comments since I last replied. Please accept my apology if it appears I'm just "Looking for comments/numbers. That's not the case. I always feel guilty when I don't reply to someone who took the time to listen and leave a few words for me.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/29/20 10:45 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan.

WOW. Your are SO good at this!!

A great listen. An Excellent mix. Keeps the ear entertained every second. JUST the way an instrumental should be.

I cannot believe that you do this without a full-blown DAW to mix in. Insane! Talent! A real testimonial to the power of BIAB in the right hands. Amazing.

One of the only times I've heard an instrumental on the forum (or anywhere) that made me want to write lyrics for it...

I LOVED it!

fj

Hi Floyd ...

Well, I'm not really sure what to say in reply. I'm humbled, appreciative and delighted. Most of my "editing" is done "behind" the chord input page. I adjust volume, pan, fade-ins and fade-outs using the BIAB mixer. When I send it to Audacity it goes over as and SGU, not an MGU. I tinker with the final stereo mix from BIAB chord input page. I do quite a bit of "touching up" in Audacity regarding EQ.

If you saw all the tinkering I did on the SGU withe BIAB mixer, it would probably be appalling to you ... it's very, very busy! But I don't mind the time to do it. It seems to work reasonably good. But I do have to wonder ... how would it sound with more technical massaging from a DAW!

Again, many, many thanks! Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/29/20 10:46 PM
Originally Posted By: toucher
Very nice, light and bright feel good music. Nice composition everything works well together and a very good mix well done.

Thanks so much, Rob ... I really appreciate all that!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/29/20 10:47 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Sounds like "the real thing", which is probably as good a compliment as I can give. laugh

David ...

I';ll gladly accept that compliment and truly feel humbled by it. Thank you so much. Best to you. Be sage ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Final Sundown - 08/29/20 10:48 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Good stuff, great for jamming along with, which I did with gusto! Thanks!

Good Evening, TM ...

Glad you enjoyed. I appreciate you letting me know. And hope you had fun jamming with it!

Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Final Sundown - 09/05/20 09:43 PM
Cool song!! I could listen to Brent play all day long. I almost always put a solo by him in my songs....best part of the songs!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums