PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Whimsical Road - 08/28/20 05:32 PM

Whimsical Road

Whimsical Road started off as a new age song but ended up as a smooth jazz song. Since BiaB chose the title I just kept it; well actually I was just too lazy to change it. BiaB has so many styles to choose from and sometimes I just get lost in it and come up with something that I didn't intend when I started.

BiaB style = Lilacs MIDI Smooth Jazz Ballad
Tempo = 60 BPM
I deleted the bass, drums, and guitar tracks

Piano = Keyzone Classic - Basic EP
Strings = Synthmaster2 - pad - Entombed
Drums = Groovemonkee Jazz Funk MIDI drum loops through Addictive Drums 2 - funk kit-FX - Waves CLA Drums
Percussion = Kontakt - Brio Ensemble

I am playing the following:
Frettless Bass - straight into the computer - FX - Waves JJP Bass & Bass Rider
Lead Guitar - Harley Benton Jazz box straight into the computer - FX - Raum reverb
Rhythm guitar - Harley Benton Jazz box straight into the computer - FX - Presonous Pro EQ & compressor.
I am also playing the tenor sax via my wind controller, Swam tenor - FX - Raum reverb
Posted By: musician17 Re: Whimsical Road - 08/28/20 06:22 PM
This was wonderful! You're so good at creating an atmosphere through your music. This is no exception. Great job - well done.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whimsical Road - 08/29/20 12:03 AM
Hi Mario ...

Another great listen from you! And, isn't it interesting how so many songs end of sound like Jazz, regardless of original intent, by those of us who often dabble in the genre. Well, I dabble ... you compose!

A lush and pleasant listen. Kudos for another excellent song.

Wishing you well. Please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Whimsical Road - 08/29/20 09:45 AM
Mario,

A pleasant listen - however you label it.
Nice job with the guitars and the sax.
A good mix.

fj
Posted By: dcuny Re: Whimsical Road - 08/29/20 08:34 PM
Nice tune! That's one growly tenor! smile

How's the Brio Ensemble? I haven't quite convinced myself that I need it, but I really like everything I've gotten from Indiginus, and the Brio Ensemble looks like it would be a lot of fun.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Whimsical Road - 08/29/20 09:41 PM
I gotta get one of those wind controllers, you sound like you're having a lot of fun with yours. My inability to learn the recorder and the xaphoon has kept me from getting a wind controller. You do a very good job with it. Guitar too. Nice piece I enjoyed mellowing out to.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 12:25 AM
Smooth jazz for real. Lovely guitar playing. Sax sounded real to me. Nice bass lines Good use of BIAB. Arranged well.
Posted By: rayc Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 04:31 AM
You do wonder with that wind machine. A very soft landing song.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 09:58 AM
Relaxing tune, smooth although the jazzy chord progression is whimsical, so many unexpected things that my brain is not relaxing that much, but waiting for the next turn smile Good selection of instruments and excellent playing.

Janne
Posted By: Derochette Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 12:04 PM
Hello MarioD,

Very nice composition. In view of the instruments you have played, you are a musician with a lot of different facets. I would have put a little more volume on the tenor sax but that's a detail. Well done.

Dero13 alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 12:52 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
This was wonderful! You're so good at creating an atmosphere through your music. This is no exception. Great job - well done.

Thanx James. I try to set a mood with every song, sometimes it works and sometimes it don't! I'm glad that you like it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 12:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Mario ...

Another great listen from you! And, isn't it interesting how so many songs end of sound like Jazz, regardless of original intent, by those of us who often dabble in the genre. Well, I dabble ... you compose!

A lush and pleasant listen. Kudos for another excellent song.

Wishing you well. Please be safe ...

Alan

Thanx so much Alan. But don't kid yourself as all I do is dabble.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 12:54 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Mario,

A pleasant listen - however you label it.
Nice job with the guitars and the sax.
A good mix.

fj

Thanx so much Floyd. This means a lot to me.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 12:57 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice tune! That's one growly tenor! smile

How's the Brio Ensemble? I haven't quite convinced myself that I need it, but I really like everything I've gotten from Indiginus, and the Brio Ensemble looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Thanx David. Is the tenor too growly?

The Brio Ensemble is my go to sound source for percussion instruments. Not only will it respond to MIDI you can also program rhythm patterns with it. It is a lot of fun and I'm sure you would really like it, so just do it!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 01:02 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I gotta get one of those wind controllers, you sound like you're having a lot of fun with yours. My inability to learn the recorder and the xaphoon has kept me from getting a wind controller. You do a very good job with it. Guitar too. Nice piece I enjoyed mellowing out to.

Thanx so much for those very nice comments. You might not need to learn a wind controller. Wind controllers are monophonic. So lot a monophonic instrument like a trumpet and assign one of your sliders or knobs to CC11, expression. Play a horn line with one hand while moving the slider control the volume. If you have the full version of Kontakt it is very easy to set up any instrument so a slider or knob can control CC11.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 01:03 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Smooth jazz for real. Lovely guitar playing. Sax sounded real to me. Nice bass lines Good use of BIAB. Arranged well.

Thanx so much for listening and commenting. I appreciate that.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 01:03 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
You do wonder with that wind machine. A very soft landing song.

Thanx Ray.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 01:05 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Relaxing tune, smooth although the jazzy chord progression is whimsical, so many unexpected things that my brain is not relaxing that much, but waiting for the next turn smile Good selection of instruments and excellent playing.

Janne

Janne, thanx so much for noticing the chord progression. I do like to experiment with various chord combinations.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 01:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello MarioD,

Very nice composition. In view of the instruments you have played, you are a musician with a lot of different facets. I would have put a little more volume on the tenor sax but that's a detail. Well done.

Dero13 alias JaniJackFlash

Thanx Dero13. I played in wedding bands for years and in playing in one you must play virtually all genres of music. Thus I can play a little of many genres but I am not a master of any of them.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Whimsical Road - 08/30/20 11:39 PM
Hi Mario
A very enjoyable listen, rolling down that whimsical road.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Whimsical Road - 08/31/20 01:51 PM
Mario,
A very relaxing mood piece with your distinctive guitar tone and playful change of soloists showcasing your diverse skills.
I liked the growly sax!

Robert
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Whimsical Road - 08/31/20 06:53 PM
Loved the grouly tenor. Great production like all your pieces.

Mike. B.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whimsical Road - 08/31/20 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Mario
A very enjoyable listen, rolling down that whimsical road.
Regards,
Leon

Thanx Leon, I'm glad you liked it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whimsical Road - 08/31/20 08:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Mario,
A very relaxing mood piece with your distinctive guitar tone and playful change of soloists showcasing your diverse skills.
I liked the growly sax!

Robert

Thanx Robert. I was worried that the sax may have been too growly. Thanx for listening and commenting, I appreciate that.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whimsical Road - 08/31/20 08:05 PM
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Loved the grouly tenor. Great production like all your pieces.

Mike. B.

Thanx so much Mike.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Whimsical Road - 08/31/20 08:48 PM
Mario

Very pleasant easy to listen to and well produced and played.

Nicely done.

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: Whimsical Road - 09/01/20 01:22 PM
Super listen Mario. Loved that windcontroller. Excellent backtrack. Guitar was excellent as well..
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Whimsical Road - 09/01/20 01:31 PM

Gorgeous Mario!
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: Whimsical Road - 09/03/20 01:08 PM
Lovely smooth jazz tune, made me escape nicely! The sax sounds real, and you have a very nice sensitive touch on the guitar. Good job!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Whimsical Road - 09/04/20 05:52 PM
Your latest more jazzy productions are really hittin' the note!
Given how steeped BiaB is into Jazz there are relatively few
productions posted here so this is an extra pleasure for us to
listen to.

Irrespective of the genre your playing is always great. And
the sax and guitar performances on this are no exception.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: Whimsical Road - 09/05/20 03:03 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Is the tenor too growly?

Nope, just thought I'd mention it! laugh
Posted By: tommyad Re: Whimsical Road - 09/05/20 10:29 AM
Mario, your mastery of easy listening jazz is on full display here. Nicely arranged, played and produced. I liked it, Tom
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Whimsical Road - 09/10/20 11:02 AM
Slow excitement wrapped around a heady feel. It makes me close my eyes and move my head as if it's a branch in the wind. Nice trip, Mario. I remember liner notes on a Dave Brubeck album that said Paul Desmond's sax sounded like a wet martini. It came to mind when I heard yours. Well written, well played, well mixed, and thoroughly enjoyed.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Whimsical Road - 09/13/20 09:43 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Mario, your mastery of easy listening jazz is on full display here. Nicely arranged, played and produced. I liked it, Tom

YES!! Another dimension to the wonderful Mario catalogue!! Very sweet!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Whimsical Road - 09/14/20 08:29 PM
Forgive me for being late on listening to this. I just got overwhelmed with work in preparing for the new school year.

You are so versatile in your musicianship and your composition skills. Everything is layered nicely. Such a breezy feel. Excellent all around!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Whimsical Road - 09/15/20 09:02 AM
Hi, Mario !:))

Wonderful tune !

You are so good on this
kind of impros ! One of
your absolute best !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Whimsical Road - 09/15/20 09:25 AM
Totally interesting discordance definitely gave the song great appeal.

Intrigue, sensuousness, pretty much everything.

I think the smooth jazz outcome definitely worked. Nice.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Whimsical Road - 09/15/20 10:19 AM
Mario,
Cool piece. Seems you played most parts. Tune sucked me in in the first 30 seconds, got my awareness back on the next song you had on your list smile Hypnotic stuff. Solid composition and very good playing! Enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Whimsical Road - 09/15/20 03:21 PM
hey marioD love the guitar work and the wind controller on the sax great job enjoyed thanks for sharing Eric
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Whimsical Road - 09/23/20 12:53 PM
Soothing and pleasant.
© PG Music Forums