PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo In There - 08/31/20 06:26 AM
I like to give other people presents on days when people might be tempted to give them to me. This one is for my daughter on my birthday. It features some snippets best understood in-family, and features the only toy she's had since toddlerhood--a stuffed doll she named after one of my oldest friends, to whom she took an immediate and unexpected shine.

In There

****** Song Summary *************
Title: In There

Key=D , Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=2:23
2 bar intro, 16 bar chorus, from bar 3 to bar 18. Repeat x3 choruses
Style is _LONESON.STY (Lone Son Acoustic Guitar Ballad)
RealTracks in style: ~2474:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~2505:Piano, Electric, HeldChords 085
RealTracks in style: 2914:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Folky16thsBrent Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 2914:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Folky16thsBrent Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 3196:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopBalladBrent Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 3057:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking SongwriterFolkAltBassQuinn Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 1766:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Sync Ev 085

Started as a chord progression that sat for months without much else until I got busy with this. Vocals recorded in RB, and the project was mixed in Reaper. I usually spend a bit more time, but this is what I had when the deadline hit. Happy Birthday to me.

Melodyne didn't seem to do much pitch correction. Perhaps it didn't recognize what I was doing as actually musical. Perhaps I didn't use it correctly. Perhaps the demo expired mid-way.

I used two instances of compression on the vocals along with some EQ work and (hopefully) just a smidgeon of reverb. Basic effects on the other tracks and mastered with Ozone 8 Elements.

Lyrics:

I know my heart is in there
It's the very thing that keeps me alive.
Always pumps me up though sometimes beats me down
And pressurizes my whole insides
I know my mind is in there
As I pause on my pass by your room
And listen to you laughing, babbling to Boo
And singing him your own little tune.

I know my sunshine is in there
Because your dark eyes are so much filled with light
It warms my way and helps me find my steps
And sometimes even comes out at night
And I know my hopes are in there
As I turn and silently slip away.
I know that this is the way of things
For the two of us to part one day.

Instrumental.

But my heart will stay within there
With my sunshine and my rhyme
My hope will grow and I truly know
They'll be with you until the end of time

I realize I can't sing any more. While that's no great loss to the world of music, it makes me reluctant to write. Maybe I can do well enough to demo the phrasing and melodic flow for someone with working pipes. But not this one. This one is for my little girl.

Enjoy, if possible.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: In There - 08/31/20 07:04 AM

I actually really like your vocal, obviously heartfelt and sincere, as is the writing. Track sounds great also.

Just a lovely song, I really enjoyed it.

Happy birthday!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: In There - 08/31/20 08:49 AM
Tangmo, I give you a lot of credit for sharing something like this that is personal, with references that only your family probably recognizes--I've done songs like this too, but would never feel comfortable sharing them with a larger audience that wouldn't understand the context--thanks for doing it!

Very nice use of the RT's, both for the backing and for the solo area.

As Dave mentioned, very heartfelt, that came through clearly.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: In There - 08/31/20 10:38 AM
Tangmo,

A really nice song. Well-written, heartfelt (word of the day, I guess).

The production is just what the song needed. And the mix is good.

I, too, really like your vocal. Certainly NOTHING "wrong" with it. I would listen to you sing any time. Preferable to getting someone else to do it, in my opinion. There is a reason many of us grew up listening to John Prine and Tom Waits and Randy Newman. Character.

I thought the vocal is slightly "too dry". The siblance would need to be addressed first (easy to do) and then add a bit more reverb (and perhaps a bit of delay). Opinion, of course.

I like it. Well done.

fj
Posted By: Robertkc Re: In There - 08/31/20 01:44 PM
Tangmo,
A simply lovely write ( your personal is universal to all doting parents; overhearing the babble is a wonderful image).
I second the thoughts already expressed on your vocal; no excuses necessary and repeats very welcome to me.
My kind of gift this.

Robert
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: In There - 08/31/20 07:24 PM
Really liked this one. FJ mentioned Prine, Waits and Newman, I'd add a pinch of John Hiatt was in there. Wish I could sing this well, I'd hog the forum with tracks. Good work!
Posted By: MarioD Re: In There - 08/31/20 07:47 PM
This fantastic. Your vocal is good but as FJ said a touch of reverb would do it wonders.

Great lyrics. I agree with the John Prine comments. Also your mix is spot on.

This is a wonderful song.
Posted By: Scott C Re: In There - 09/01/20 01:13 PM
Very cool tune. Loved your vocal. Beautiful lyric and excellent back track. Well done
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: In There - 09/03/20 12:49 PM
Your vocal is, as Janice said, "just fine and the lyric brought tears to my eyes."

What we heard was a quite pleasant vocal with soul. And as I often said, irrespective ofgenre that is what we look for in a vocal.

Perhaps best understood by the family but we think a treat for all.

And a nice band and mix.

Thanks for sharing.

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: In There - 09/05/20 09:59 PM
A really sweet song!!! And no one could deliver it better!! LOVE IT!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: In There - 09/10/20 11:33 AM
Sweet song, Tangmo. Your voice is perfect. No one can do this song as well. Such emotion. I do that give presents when expecting to receive thing. Makes people like, what the... Always say I prefer presence to presents so thanks for being here. That throws 'em a bit, too. You can see this write of yours has got a grip on me. Please don't let your not liking your own voice make you slow down on such creativity. Write and sing cuz you know you can't help it.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: In There - 09/11/20 01:52 PM
Tangmo,

Good intimate tune. Nice lyrics and performance. I hear nothing wrong with your voice, it is perfect for this type of song unless of course you were aiming for AC/DC type of vocals...
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: In There - 09/11/20 07:20 PM
I agree with the others. The vocal is fine; in fact, it is just right for this song. Your vocal touches the heart here. One wouldn't need to know the lyrics--it could be in another language--the vocal expresses the meaning so well and clearly. No problem listening to this at all.

Well done song!
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: In There - 10/16/20 02:58 AM
Love this, but then I'm a sucker for songs that a birthed in life's experiences.
© PG Music Forums