PG Music Home
Posted By: TuneMonger Don't You - 09/01/20 06:51 PM
Here's my latest:

https://soundcloud.com/user-770148857/dont-you

RealTracks in style: 1434:Bass, Electric, JazzFunkPoppy Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: 2203:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopPromiseBrent Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 1686:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopPromiseCrispA-B Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: ~1436:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovinMute Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 2810:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm SmoothSoulFast16thsMike Ev16 110
RealDrums [in Song:JazzFunkGroovin^1-a:HHSdStk, b:HHSnr

The singer is Chels from fiverr.

Lyrics:

Yeah, it's getting where I notice, every little thing you do, I'll bet the same is true for you,
I'd like to know just where we're going, what about this thing, is it real or just a fling
I'm no expert on the subject, but I think what we've got here is good
Good enough to seal the deal, and I hope I'm understood

Don't you make me sad, don't you make me cry,
Don't you make me up and leave you for another guy
Don't you make me sad, don't you make me blue
Don't you know I wanna spend all of my time with you.

Comes a point where everybody, needs to know what's up ahead,
Don't you make me sad, don't you make me cry,
Let's both stand here crying happy tears instead

Are we ready for this moment, there's no turning back, and that's a scary fact,
Lotta people get their hopes up, but somehow they fail, and leave a messy trail,
I don't have those kinds of answers, I only know what I feel now
Has to last us for a lifetime, and surely it will somehow.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Don't You - 09/01/20 07:04 PM

Great sound on this man!

The singer is wonderful.

Love the mix.
Posted By: Frankp Re: Don't You - 09/01/20 07:06 PM
That's really cool. The vocals really make your tune shine, great job on the vocals. Love the chorus, very singable.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Don't You - 09/01/20 09:35 PM
Very nice song. I agree, the vocals are wonderful.

SD
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Don't You - 09/02/20 08:38 AM
Good song!

Well written with a memorable chorus.

That singer knocked it out of the park for you IMHO, both on the main vocal and the harmonies, great voice and also a good quality recording.

Only thing I wasn't mad about was the guitar solo, although the middle part was cool.

Nice mix too. Good job on this, your best yet I think.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Don't You - 09/02/20 08:40 AM
Liked this a lot..You’re using a repeated 5-note pattern, repeatedly in the chorus, but also in a few spots in the verses...Excellent “architecture” in doing this..it’s your song hook, I think. Really good arrangement and production. It can be challenging working with contract singers like with fiver, And I think you got a really good result. I’m not sure if that is you live on guitar in the break, but I think another lighter instrumental approach would have been a little more fitting for the song, but that’s just my personal sense of taste. Great work!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Don't You - 09/02/20 10:44 AM
I REALLY like this write! The melody is a delight. So sing-able. But JUST as important (or maybe more so), the lyric is written using words that SING - and sound natural, conversational - and fall on the ear the way they should. And a nicely developed narrative progression. Everything about this says "Songwriter".

And a very nice production. A nice choice of guitars that fit the song. The JazzFunkGroovinMute was nice. Bass sound good - punchy and supportive - really driving the groove.

Excellent vocals and harmonies. And a nice mix.

REALLY enjoyed this!

fj
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Don't You - 09/02/20 04:04 PM
This is one of the best radio-ready pop songs I`ve heard on this forum (ok, length excepted - for me the guitar break is a bit off in relation to the song style, so I wondered if it`s really needed.)
Super catchy melody and such an excellent vocal- ( maybe sounding just a little more confident on the chorus than verses)-the girl can sing!
Very very good.

Robert
Posted By: MarioD Re: Don't You - 09/02/20 08:55 PM
Use that sing more often; she is great!

Great vocal and harmonies. Super mix. The bass is spot on! I did like the guitar lead.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Don't You - 09/02/20 11:04 PM
Nice. Well recorded song, both music and vocals. Smooth production. Pretty melody. Good work to both of you.

Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Don't You - 09/03/20 03:26 PM
https://soundcloud.com/user-770148857/dont-you-with-clean-solo

I made a version with a clean guitar solo since so many weren't crazy about the original solo. I try to avoid asking the forum to do A-B comparisons, but if you're so inclined, you can listen and choose a solo. You can skip to 2:44 and just listen to the new solo. Thanks, everyone, for the support!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Don't You - 09/04/20 05:38 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
https://soundcloud.com/user-770148857/dont-you-with-clean-solo

I made a version with a clean guitar solo since so many weren't crazy about the original solo. I try to avoid asking the forum to do A-B comparisons, but if you're so inclined, you can listen and choose a solo. You can skip to 2:44 and just listen to the new solo. Thanks, everyone, for the support!

Much better IMHO, nicely done.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Don't You - 09/04/20 05:25 PM
We aren't overly fond of the word but we're gonna throw it out anyway - CATCHY!

It literally invites more listens.

It would've been hard to find a better singer for the lyric, melody and band.

It's a great write and we will defer to floyd's comments on that. The man knows his business smile

Excellent!

J&B

PS We liked the clean solo better. It all comes down to what works for you. Perhaps had the crunch solo guitar been "introduced" a bit earlier with a fill or two it might have then more immediately fit in on the lead section. Just a thought and not a suggestion for any alteration at all. It's really good!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Don't You - 09/05/20 03:45 AM
I really like the melody and singer on this. You hit this one out of the park. laugh

For me, the parts of arrangement - like the piano - felt like they were at odds with the melody. I'm happy to see that people don't seem to agree with me about that.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Don't You - 09/05/20 10:39 AM
This sounds great. The singer nailed it! I think the write is very catchy as is the melody. The clean guitar solo works much better. Very well done and my favorite from you so far, Tom
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Don't You - 09/05/20 09:25 PM
Your singer drew me in like a magnet. My ears are in love. cool

The chorus is catchy and fits her voice, and her interpretation conveys the lyrics nicely.

Cool song!
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Don't You - 09/06/20 12:25 AM
Chels is a keeper. I don't know exactly what she brought to this musically besides the wonderful quality of her voice, so I'll just say this is a wonderfully poppy melody laid out over and very classy pop progression. The syncopation of the vocal delivery (especially in the chorus) was very cool.

I like the lyric a lot. My favorite bit is "...Don't you make me up and leave you...). I think that's a sort-of "southern" expression (up and) at least that's the context I've always heard it. There's some sass in it, and that is why I think it fits here so well.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Don't You - 09/07/20 11:15 AM
Very cool vocal and harmonies. Excellent lyric and backtrack.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Don't You - 09/07/20 12:34 PM
Lovely pop tune about falling in love without using the word 'love' (although I feel it cannot be overused smile ). Full of innocent hope in the lyrics and especially in that voice, great singing. Beautiful melody, nice poppy arrangement with some RnB flavor. The only problem I found that the song ends so quickly smile fading chorus might work better in my ears.

Janne
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Don't You - 09/07/20 01:11 PM
hi great vocal very memorable clear mix well done thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: PeterF Re: Don't You - 09/08/20 01:22 AM
Excellent, and the best singer I've heard on your songs.
A really memorable song.
Prefer the clean solo (even that is a bit busy).

Top notch work.

Peter
Posted By: rayc Re: Don't You - 09/08/20 08:56 AM
The melody across the chorus backing is an interesting tension - it works though.
Lovely voice and nice arrangement.
Posted By: Bawb Re: Don't You - 09/08/20 12:26 PM
TuneMonger,

What's not to like about this song? Wow! The music is so very well put together and arranged. Also the lyrics fit the music/mood of the song. The vocals sound like an aggregate of all the "cool girl" singers of the era rolled into one. Just such an warm, fuzzy, peaceful listen. Thanks for posting it, I enjoyed listening to it.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Don't You - 09/08/20 04:39 PM
Hello TuneMonger and Chels,

I want to let you know I enjoyed this song very much!
Everything in it is allright; the singer, the band, the melody.
Very well done.

Chels sings with a lot of confidence, even more than she did in a former song (forgot the title).
So you both can be proud of yourself!

Hans
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Don't You - 09/12/20 11:22 PM
Thanks to everyone for such great comments! Especially Floyd, that kind of review from someone with your expertise has certainly bolstered my confidence. And Tangmo, you were reading my mind as regards writing the song! David Cuny, you could be right, I am not the best at writing chord progressions, and I am going to consult with some who would know better than me to see if I have made some mistakes. (Jeez, I sure hope not, I will be crestfallen.)

It's still weird to me that I am writing pop songs when all I ever used to do was play the blues. But after forty years of 1-IV-V, I guess I got a little bored.

Thanks again all, this was the best response I've gotten yet!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Don't You - 09/13/20 02:24 AM
Hi TM ...

Love everything about it! That young lady can sing!!! Keep her in the band! It's as thought this song was written with her in mind as the vocalist. And you gave her some fabulously excellent material to work with. All I can say is that was a fantastic listen ... man, it's great! Great mix and the lyric is terrific.

Uh ... I like it a lot! Thanks for a the pleasure of having the opportunity to hear this.

Best to you. Please be careful

Alan
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: Don't You - 09/13/20 10:27 AM
Very nice tune, uplifting the soul! Vocals are great indeed, very nice groove all along, and great feel on the guitar!
Posted By: olemon Re: Don't You - 09/13/20 11:59 AM
Confession time - when I see that a song is 4 or 5 mins long I tend to approach it cautiously because my attention span just ain't that lengthy. But this is so good and such a joy to listen to - it ended before I was ready. So I'm playing it again, and again.

Excellent production and Chels is wonderful!
© PG Music Forums