PG Music Home
Posted By: rayc MISS AUGUST Mastered - but which version? - 09/04/20 12:42 AM
Hello Folks,
I intended to post the link in the OP of my Late August thread but, as often happen, the edit option has expired.
Lots of cool ideas were offered as well as support.
I sent two versions for mastering leaving it to the ME to decide which was stronger. he sent back two masters offering that each had its own pluses.
The title, Miss August, if for my wife who's birthday was last month and about whom the song is based, loosely.
I'm not sure which is the better mix.
I would appreciate some comment/preference/ideas from your ears & minds.
Miss August TWO masters
Thanks in anticipation.
THANKS.
Version Two has the consensus. I've removed V1. V1 was as I sent it to the ME. he suggested I drop some compression and bottom end but also said he'd master the original version as well so I could compare & contrast. Nice chap. he was right & most folk here n elsewhere agreed with him.
Posted By: Frankp Re: MISS AUGUST Mastered - but which version? - 09/04/20 12:12 PM
Note that I "level matched" when I listened to make the perceived volume the same.

I like mix #2 better, to me it's more punchy and consequently the drums and bass guitar sounded much better.
Ray,
The vocal (which sounds good, just to reinforce the encouragement sent before on your singing) sits in a good place on both tracks now: I could be wrong but it seems a little further forward on mix2.
The bass ( such a nice angry tone) sounds better to me on mix1- so my vote goes there.

Robert
When I set the volumes based on the vocal (attempting to get them at the same level), I really could not tell much difference between the two. #2 had a very slight edge I think - a bit more separation of instruments (slight).
I couldn't hear much difference between them.... ummm, uhhh, but I think you have a fan there on version #2.
After a few listens I vote #2. They are pretty equal but #2 has a slight better clarity across all the tracks, Tom
Well we are too late to the party to compare. But we enjoyed listening to the tune again!

It sounds fine on the KRK's. Low gain sounds good and all hangs together when
you crank it up.

J&B
There was only one version for me to listen to but it sounded good to me.
© PG Music Forums