Where has love flown?
Left me to stroll alone;
Could be things may break my way
If I'd STAY.

Nothing's gained if I travel on;
What's another day?
You've made your case--I'll STAY.
==============
Style is _BAIA.STY (Baia Brushed Bossa with Perc)

RealTracks in style: 2284:Bass, Acoustic, BossaRon Ev 140
RealTracks in song: 708:Guitar, Nylon-Elec, Rhythm Bossa Ev 140
RealTracks in song: ~~2189:Piano, Electric, Rhythm Bossa Ev 085
RealDrums [in style:BossaBrazilBrushPercAlex^1-a:Br, b:Rd
Solo: 2381 Sax, Tenor, Eric
Posted By: Scott C Re: "Stay" - 09/05/20 01:22 PM
Excellent vocal and lyric very cool backtrack
Posted By: Tangmo Re: "Stay" - 09/06/20 12:01 AM
There ought to be a little pillar of smoke rising from ab ashtray on the EP, which I imagine you sitting at and playing in this band. Really nice light-jazz feel to this and the lyrics and delivery "fit", even if they were decided after the fact/

Trust me...I'm not one who should be giving mixing advice, but I think rolling off some low-end and low-mids from your vocals might lessen the occasional "booming" effect.

But I'm here to enjoy songs and arrangements...and with that, you nailed, down to that somewhat crazy ending. Much enjoyed.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: "Stay" - 09/06/20 12:20 PM
Once again you demonstrate a great understanding of the genre- lyrics ,melody and arrangement sound seamlessly from that smoky lounge!
I agree with Tangmo , the good qualities in your vocal are masked by the proximity/boom
of some phrases; worth a tweak in my opinion.
Excellent,expert songwriting.

Robert
Posted By: PeterF Re: "Stay" - 09/06/20 07:44 PM

A very pleasant easy listen, with a well put together band and a nice laid back vocal.

Good work.

Peter
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Stay" - 09/06/20 11:17 PM
Peter, Robert, Tangmo, Scott...thanks all for taking a few minutes to listen in. I'll work on that mix, thanks for the suggestions.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: "Stay" - 09/08/20 04:29 PM
Via this forum over the years we have learned to appreciate Bossas ... so thanks for posting
one.

Your bossa seems to have a rather light groove for the genre and it works really well with your pleasantly
mellow lyric and vocal.

The words that come to mind are soothing and CALM. What we need more of these days in so many ways smile

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Birchwood Re: "Stay" - 09/08/20 04:56 PM
Hello Tano,

Your song is very nice, also sweet (in the good way) and well performed. It brought me 'back' to the 50's.
You managed to achieve and maintain that mood very well.
There are some minor issues with the recording of the vocals, but you already went into that, so I will not repeat it.

Well done,
Hans
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Stay" - 09/08/20 09:20 PM
J&B, Hans...thanks for your kind comments, and thanks for stopping in to "stay" for a few minutes!
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: "Stay" - 09/08/20 10:57 PM
Smooth and smokey ! LOL I like this one. Actually would like to sing it myself but it's all yours my friend. Nice job !!
Posted By: Al-David Re: "Stay" - 09/09/20 12:36 AM
Hello tano ...

I immediately thought I'd been teleported to a beach in Brazil with the water gently splashing onto the sand.

Di and I have done a lot of Bossa Nova in the past and still love the genre. You have given us another reason to enjoy it.

Wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: "Stay" - 09/09/20 06:34 AM
REALLY nice but the vocal doesn't sit with the mix...it has a "room" sound or wrong reverb. There's some proximity effect as well I suspect plus an odd knock noise.
The transition from sax to El. piano seemed odd.
Lovely melody, arrangement and lyric.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Stay" - 09/09/20 06:30 PM
Henry. Alan, Rayc.. Thanks for checking it out and your feedback. One thing I really like about our forum is that the comments are always constructive, and I make it a point to see how I can use the suggestions for improvement.. Thanks again!
Posted By: Chris Dent Re: "Stay" - 09/10/20 02:27 AM
Great lyrics. A real love song.
Posted By: dcuny Re: "Stay" - 09/10/20 04:12 AM
Nice write! A traditional write, nice growth, and a good payoff with the chorus.

I especially liked your choice of words, which kept things interesting.

With the vocal, I think the main thing you can do is apply a low pass filter to take off a lot of the low end boom.

I enjoyed this song a lot.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Stay" - 09/10/20 11:39 AM
Chris and David..thanks for listening, and thanks for the suggested change in mix.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: "Stay" - 09/11/20 09:38 AM
Tano,
Good write. Enjoyed arrangement and lyrics. I think Tangmo and Rayac comments on the mix are very "to the point". You can make mix much better with just a few tweaks, for vocals to sit better. I would also suggest of trying a common fx, such as a small amount of compression or reverb on master bus to glue mix better. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: "Stay" - 10/16/20 02:51 AM
Nice arrangement and lyrics. Very easy on the ear. The mix might benefit somewhat by bringing some of the backing instruments a little more forward. To my ears they were a bit too distant or 'soft.'
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Stay" - 10/16/20 08:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Ghostgum...I'll look into working on the backing tracks.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: "Stay" - 10/16/20 01:12 PM
As said.......smoky and smooth.
Really delivers a mood.

Instruments sound good.
I like your vocals but, I hear something a little quirky.
Are you using a vocal double?
© PG Music Forums