PG Music Home
Greg Johnson asked if I wanted to join him for a co-write for a pitch requesting a late 70's style Coutry song.

So we're stepping back about 40 years for a little Outlaw Country...

A MAN ON A MISSION

if i had a dollar for every good choice that i’ve made
i'd be just as broke as i am once my rent's been paid
i ain’t lived the life that most folks say that i should
but balance it out i'd have to say i'm on the right side of good

i'm a man on a mission
   so don't get in my way
   'cause that's a dangerous position
   and there can be hell to pay
   i don't need your permission
   and i don't care what you say
   i'm a man on a mission
   to get through one more day

been a month of sundays since i sat in any church pew
i don't ask that you forgive my sins, though there've been quite a few
the devil's tried his best, but i never took that branding
me and the man upstairs have got our own understanding

i'm a man on a mission...

i've had my heart broken, i broke one or two in return
been knocked down so many times you'd think that i might have learned
some just for fun, but, you know, i've loved me a few
so i keep getting back up and jumpin' back in 'cause that's what a man's got to do

i'm a man on a mission...

The BAND:

Style is _BADLAND.STY (Badland Baritone Rockabilly)

RealTracks in style: 2421:Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySlapBoomChicka Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 1177:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 1175:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 2422:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm BoomChickaRootFiveBrent Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 411:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Train Pickin' Ev 130
RealTracks in song: 1515:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 120
RealDrums [in style:BluesRockSlowEv^4-a:Snare , b:Snare, HiHat

We hope you enjoy it.
Comments welcome, of course...

fj & greg
Mission VERY accomplished, Floyd and Greg. The opening line was about what I was thinking as I pushed play (before reading the lyrics): Excellent choice Greg. Floyd makes everything better, and you know you're already one of my favorites --and I mean right up there with The Beatles. Dang, this is good!! Got any more? hehe
Hi Floyd and Greg,

I'm no expert on "Outlaw Country" but this sure sounds good to me.

Clever lyrics, a super backing track that really trucks along, fabulous vocals
and a pro mix.

What's not to like?

ROG.
Greg picked the obvious choice for a co-write on a country song wink Really well done you two!

I love listening and hopefully learning from your vocal mixes, floyd, especially with what you do with the BGV's. And love the vocals too of course smile

Sounds great to me, enjoyed.
Hello Floyd Jane,

What I appreciate in your words is the double talk you give him. Carelessness or deep reflection in each of our actions. This is the question. In any case, it always pleases because the orchestration is excellent and exciting. Well done.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
I wouldn't know outlaw country from in-law reggae but I do know this is a complete package...excellent.
Floyd and Greg ...

Well, I thought Waylon Jennings passed away a few years ago ... guess I was wrong. Well, I was right about that, but this sounds as though he were still with us and recording. Sure does come across as a Willie & Waylon creation and delivery ... kinda reminds me of "Good Hearted Woman".

Excellent in every way ... you gentlemen hit the sweet spot on this. It's always a pleasure when two of the very best on the site share combine for some super listening. Well done!

Best to both of you. Be safe ...

Alan
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Mission VERY accomplished, Floyd and Greg. The opening line was about what I was thinking as I pushed play (before reading the lyrics): Excellent choice Greg. Floyd makes everything better, and you know you're already one of my favorites --and I mean right up there with The Beatles. Dang, this is good!! Got any more? hehe

Marty - thanks for having a listen!

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd and Greg,

I'm no expert on "Outlaw Country" but this sure sounds good to me.

Clever lyrics, a super backing track that really trucks along, fabulous vocals
and a pro mix.

What's not to like?

ROG.

ROG - One of the nice things about BIAB is you don't have to be an expert at a genre to get the desired sound. This is the first Outlaw Country style song I've ever attempted. I used a few known titles to search the BIAB Styles and found one quickly - and used it (something that I don't often do...I usually just pick RTs myself.) Thanks for the nice comments.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Greg picked the obvious choice for a co-write on a country song wink Really well done you two!

I love listening and hopefully learning from your vocal mixes, floyd, especially with what you do with the BGV's. And love the vocals too of course smile

Sounds great to me, enjoyed.

Thanks, Dave. I actually had some difficulty with getting this vocal to "work". To get it "a bit beefy" (like those guys sounded), I used a Nectar preset - which didn't completely do what I wanted - then added a Studio One compressor. Then a Studio One Channel Strip (which I had never used. There is just SO many plugin choices these days!).

The harmony vocal on this is generated.
I exported the main vocal out of Studio One with no effects.
Open RealBand and loaded the BIAB SGU for the song and imported the dry vocal.
Then just used the Audio Harmony function to generate 1 up and 1 down.
The high one didn't work well - to many artifacts - so I sang one myself (3rd above). But I ended up not using that either.
The low generated harmony was just what I needed for this one.
I've used the 3rd below generated harmony on a number of songs.
If you keep it at the right level, you don't hear the artifacts and it sounds natural. (There is the occasional odd sound, but I just don't use those parts of the harmony).
I export the resulting harmonies out of RealBand and go back back to Studio One (this is the only thing I ever do in RealBand, but I love that that is there).
In this case, I left the harmony centered - a lot of harmonies these days are not panned. And I left it dry - no processing. (Any processing will often bring out what artifacts there are in the generated harmony).
Those 2 things - dry and centered - help (in this case, at least) to make that harmony work...
Great write, excellent mix, and fun to listen to! laugh

Loved the rhythmic phrasing pauses - it made an already excellent song that much more interesting. It said to me that while this might sound classic, but wasn't just a copycat. The writer really knows the style.

Key change was effective.

With the steady beat, the song felt like a well-oiled machine. The attitude of the song comes through clearly, with vocals world-weary but not apologetic.
Loved this collaboration. Awesome vocal. Very cool lyric. Was that Greg on the harmony. It was so well blended. Guitar was cool as well. Well done Greg and Floyd
You guys definitely delivered.

There's just so much to like about this song.

Quality material
Quality production
Quality delivery

This collaboration is clearly one of the best we've witnessed.
Very cool song. As always an outstanding good mix and production. You are the one to learn from!

Will
FJ @ Greg
Congrats on this collaboration!
Very cool, fun & twisty lyrics! Composition and performance are top level.
Enjoyed it, and thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Floyd and Greg,

You definitely hit the mark in your aim. Real strong Waylon and Willie feel to this. If I had one suggestion lyrically it would be in that first line of the second verse: I’d consider subbing out “a month” for a “years” or “a year”. To me, month doesn’t seem quite a long enough absence to deserve mention. Use or lose, as they say.

Nice offering, fellas. Good luck with the pitch!

Best regards,

Deej
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello Floyd Jane,

What I appreciate in your words is the double talk you give him. Carelessness or deep reflection in each of our actions. This is the question. In any case, it always pleases because the orchestration is excellent and exciting. Well done.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks, Dero.

Originally Posted By: rayc
I wouldn't know outlaw country from in-law reggae but I do know this is a complete package...excellent.

Thanks, ray!
Yep, 70's nailed, country nailed. Great set of lyrics free from modern country trope-ism. Hugely enjoyed.

Here's a true story. I'm listening about 2/3 through and thinking to myself "I feel a key change coming." And, by God, no sooner had I thought it then one was delivered.

Any production notes I might have would probably take it out of the 70's, so just know I dug this. All it needs is a jukebox or an audience.
Hi Floyd and Greg
You guys nailed the brief, alright. Great lines (love 'man on a mission/dangerous position' among many others), vocals and overall sound. Terrific collaboration.
Regards,
Leon
floyd & Greg

Authentic(unsurprisingly)work, great melody, vocals and production.

Really nice chorus, very singable and melodic.

Overall I think it's about as good as it could and should be.

Peter
Sounds like it's coming out of the best era of country music (in my opinion). Good work to both of you. The band sounds good.
Hi Floyd and Greg,

This is typically a song for you, Floyd! I can even say only you can interpret this kind of songs like you did here (again).
Maybe it's your mission to sing these songs so well!
And let's not forget the lyrics. It's so nice to see with what simple words you can create such a clear picture! I'm almost jealous about that.

Thanks both,
Hans
I have come up with several handles for Floyd, including..............The Godfather of the Forum, The chairman of the board (Yes, I stole that but he deserves it!). Floyd is one of my favorite songwriters not just on the forum, but in the world!! He has been a mentor, a partner, a great supporter, and a true friend! It is a great honor to collaborate with him, and he also has a much better feel for what works in country than I do! Thanks my friend, and thanks to all who listen and comment!! Take care, Greg
Good points about Floyd, Greg, but don't think you're going to sell yourself short and get away with it grin
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Floyd and Greg ...

Well, I thought Waylon Jennings passed away a few years ago ... guess I was wrong. Well, I was right about that, but this sounds as though he were still with us and recording. Sure does come across as a Willie & Waylon creation and delivery ... kinda reminds me of "Good Hearted Woman".

Excellent in every way ... you gentlemen hit the sweet spot on this. It's always a pleasure when two of the very best on the site share combine for some super listening. Well done!

Best to both of you. Be safe ...

Alan

Thanks, Alan. Always good to know that folks who know a genre well think you "got it right"... smile

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Great write, excellent mix, and fun to listen to! laugh

Loved the rhythmic phrasing pauses - it made an already excellent song that much more interesting. It said to me that while this might sound classic, but wasn't just a copycat. The writer really knows the style.

Key change was effective.

With the steady beat, the song felt like a well-oiled machine. The attitude of the song comes through clearly, with vocals world-weary but not apologetic.

David - thanks for stopping by! You kind of hit on all the things that are hallmarks of the Outlaw style - the rhythmic phrasing, world-weary vocals, a steady beat (they usually kept the production simple and chugging along) - and, of course, the key change - almost on Outlaw cliche...

smile

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved this collaboration. Awesome vocal. Very cool lyric. Was that Greg on the harmony. It was so well blended. Guitar was cool as well. Well done Greg and Floyd

Thanks, Scott. We appreciate that. The harmony was generated using RealBand (I explained how in the response to Dave - above).
The Waylon vibe is nailed with a feel of both Good Hearted Woman and I've Always Been Crazy.

If ya wanna go outlaw he's THE. MAN.

But what sets this apart is the more sophisticated lyric with more subtleties than typical with the sub-genre.

Excellent vocals and likely the best generated harmony we've heard, i.e., we never noticed!

The band ... what to say other than nailed. The rockabilly bass certainly adds to the "straw on the floor" vibe.

Janice said the loping feel made her want to get out her boots and cowgirl dress -- yes she has them smile

Cool outlaw in the picture -- somebody you know?

Fun!

J&B
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
You guys definitely delivered.

There's just so much to like about this song.

Quality material
Quality production
Quality delivery

This collaboration is clearly one of the best we've witnessed.

Trev - Thanks! We could not ask for better comments than those...
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Very cool song. As always an outstanding good mix and production. You are the one to learn from!

Will

Nice of you to say, Will... Thanks.
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ @ Greg
Congrats on this collaboration!
Very cool, fun & twisty lyrics! Composition and performance are top level.
Enjoyed it, and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

We appreciate that, Misha. Thanks.
love it!

I immediately heard Haggard, then a few seconds later... Waylon. That's a great combination of influences in my humble opinion. They don't make music like that in Nashville any more.
Nice!
Well written, performed and mixed.
Sounds very polished

Great work.
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd and Greg,

You definitely hit the mark in your aim. Real strong Waylon and Willie feel to this. If I had one suggestion lyrically it would be in that first line of the second verse: I’d consider subbing out “a month” for a “years” or “a year”. To me, month doesn’t seem quite a long enough absence to deserve mention. Use or lose, as they say.

Nice offering, fellas. Good luck with the pitch!

Best regards,

Deej

Deej,

I appreciate the suggestion. However...

A "month of Sundays" is a common expression.
Google it.
It is actually defined in the dictionary.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/month-of-sundays--a

Over half a year. Not worth mentioning?
You can google "a year of Sundays", too - and while you will find some hits, you should discover that it is not the common expression that "a month of Sundays" is.

As regards to songwriting...
Using a common expression such as "a month of Sundays" quickly puts an image into the listener's mind of "passage of time" - as opposed to saying "it's been a long time".
It also has the advantage of "singing well". It "falls on the ear" well, making it a good song-writing phrase.

"A year of Sundays" causes a "bump" to the ear - since it is not the common expression expected. Your listener's mind will head off on a tangent while you continue singing about some new development (hopefully - not rehashing something you have already established).
And this does not sing as well as the original expression.
All important considerations when writing.
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Yep, 70's nailed, country nailed. Great set of lyrics free from modern country trope-ism. Hugely enjoyed.

Here's a true story. I'm listening about 2/3 through and thinking to myself "I feel a key change coming." And, by God, no sooner had I thought it then one was delivered.

Any production notes I might have would probably take it out of the 70's, so just know I dug this. All it needs is a jukebox or an audience.

We appreciate that, Tangmo. Had to do a key change - it was a part of almost every Outlaw song.

I left the production fairly simple and predictable throughout - those guys usually kept their stuff like that - they favored "the live band sound" to the slick Nashville thing that was happening at the time otherwise. Part of what gave rise to the movement...

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd and Greg
You guys nailed the brief, alright. Great lines (love 'man on a mission/dangerous position' among many others), vocals and overall sound. Terrific collaboration.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon!

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd & Greg

Authentic(unsurprisingly)work, great melody, vocals and production.

Really nice chorus, very singable and melodic.

Overall I think it's about as good as it could and should be.

Peter

We certainly appreciate such nice comments, Peter!...
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Sounds like it's coming out of the best era of country music (in my opinion). Good work to both of you. The band sounds good.

jpt3 - we appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Floyd and Greg,

This is typically a song for you, Floyd! I can even say only you can interpret this kind of songs like you did here (again).
Maybe it's your mission to sing these songs so well!
And let's not forget the lyrics. It's so nice to see with what simple words you can create such a clear picture! I'm almost jealous about that.

Thanks both,
Hans

Thanks for having a listen, Hans - and for the nice comments...
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I have come up with several handles for Floyd, including..............The Godfather of the Forum, The chairman of the board (Yes, I stole that but he deserves it!). Floyd is one of my favorite songwriters not just on the forum, but in the world!! He has been a mentor, a partner, a great supporter, and a true friend! It is a great honor to collaborate with him, and he also has a much better feel for what works in country than I do! Thanks my friend, and thanks to all who listen and comment!! Take care, Greg

Greg - It is always a pleasure to work with you. In any fashion.

Those are some humbling comments.

I can honestly say that YOU are one of my favorite songwriters, as well. Both your "way with words" and you beautiful melodies are top-shelf and constantly amazing.

And I am pleased to call you "friend".
Floyd & Greg,
Cool twang, relentless beat and a protagonist you have to like (and don`t want to mess with)- its a good song with many genre trademarks and , of course, an excellent vocal.
I appreciate the behind the scenes details on your use of the Helicon Harmonies, Floyd- I learnt something and can hear how well it works on this.
Well done to you both.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Good points about Floyd, Greg, but don't think you're going to sell yourself short and get away with it grin

Greg is one of the most humble great writers I've ever met. A rare quality.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
The Waylon vibe is nailed with a feel of both Good Hearted Woman and I've Always Been Crazy.

If ya wanna go outlaw he's THE. MAN.

But what sets this apart is the more sophisticated lyric with more subtleties than typical with the sub-genre.

Excellent vocals and likely the best generated harmony we've heard, i.e., we never noticed!

The band ... what to say other than nailed. The rockabilly bass certainly adds to the "straw on the floor" vibe.

Janice said the loping feel made her want to get out her boots and cowgirl dress -- yes she has them smile

Cool outlaw in the picture -- somebody you know?

Fun!

J&B

The Outlaw sound was distinctive. Glad you thought we hit that. And thanks for the mentions on the lyric, the harmony... and the bass (though that was BIAB's doing - one of the few times I've simply found the right Style and gone with it...).

I have no doubt that the girl is and always has been a real cowgirl. smile

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
love it!

I immediately heard Haggard, then a few seconds later... Waylon. That's a great combination of influences in my humble opinion. They don't make music like that in Nashville any more.

Thanks, Herb. Figured you might like this one....
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Nice!
Well written, performed and mixed.
Sounds very polished

Great work.

Thanks, Captain!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd & Greg,
Cool twang, relentless beat and a protagonist you have to like (and don`t want to mess with)- its a good song with many genre trademarks and , of course, an excellent vocal.
I appreciate the behind the scenes details on your use of the Helicon Harmonies, Floyd- I learnt something and can hear how well it works on this.
Well done to you both.

Robert - We appreciate you dropping in for a listen. That low harmony is something that the harmony generator does well. I look forward to the day that generated high harmonies get less robotic...
Fantastic stuff from two of the best, not just here on the forum, but anywhere. Thanks, guys!!
Floyd,

Appreciate the thoughtful response to my suggestion. I’m familiar with the expression “a month of Sundays” now that you mention it—though I haven’t used or heard it in, well, a month of Sundays! smile So it just didn’t register with me as I listened to, read, and commented on the lyric the first time. But your explanation makes perfect sense and I agree “month of Sundays” is more singable than what I suggested. Again, good luck with this one.

Regards,

Deej
floyd and Greg,

This is excellent. You've certainly managed to re-create 70s country. The lyrics and music journey were first class in all directions. I think I need to get back into creating music. Listening to this was inspiring.

Thank you for a a really enjoyable four minutes,
Noel
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Fantastic stuff from two of the best, not just here on the forum, but anywhere. Thanks, guys!!

TM - we do appreciate that.

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

Appreciate the thoughtful response to my suggestion. I’m familiar with the expression “a month of Sundays” now that you mention it—though I haven’t used or heard it in, well, a month of Sundays! smile So it just didn’t register with me as I listened to, read, and commented on the lyric the first time. But your explanation makes perfect sense and I agree “month of Sundays” is more singable than what I suggested. Again, good luck with this one.

Regards,

Deej

Deej - thanks for stopping in to further the discussion...

Originally Posted By: Noel96
floyd and Greg,

This is excellent. You've certainly managed to re-create 70s country. The lyrics and music journey were first class in all directions. I think I need to get back into creating music. Listening to this was inspiring.

Thank you for a a really enjoyable four minutes,
Noel

Noel - It is ALWAYS great to see you drop in to the Showcase. Thanks for the listen and nice comments. (Yes - it is time we heard another from you!!)
© PG Music Forums