PG Music Home
Posted By: Tano Music What I Want - 09/22/20 12:11 PM
What I Want

This is another song that has been done for a while, just waiting for some vocal tuning--I was able to use my new Melodyne to do that.

-------------------------------
I came out of nothin', see me now;
Earned it all by sweat of brow;
Every challenge, I succeeded;
Any thing I want or needed!
Private shopper, tricked-out chopper;
Big name dropper, cool, indeed!

Get an itch, I simply spend;
Got the coin, there is no end;
Endless spring, my treasure pile;
Bachelor king, Mac-mansion style!
Pool-side honey, love the money;
All is sunny, I got it all!

Something's picking at the core of me..
The more I spend, the less I'm free;
Should I drop the whole damn lot;
Swap for what I haven't got;
Could that give me what I want?

Something's comin' into sight for me..
Fragrant grove, abundant tree;
Peace that brings to my knees;
Soothing voice upon the breeze;
"Son, my love is what you need!"

I come with nothing, here I am;
Full of life and fully man;
I approach with empty hands;
Serving all my friend demands!
Mercy living, full-time giving;
Give a flower, love is power;
Scales are falling, kneeling, crawling
Heaven calling, cool, indeed!

==================
Style info was lost in my HD disaster, but it's one of the RT funk styles. Sax and E Piano solo's also RT's.
Posted By: Scott C Re: What I Want - 09/22/20 10:47 PM
Very cool tune. Lots happening. Some very cool instrument choices. Melodyne is quite the program. I have been using it to great guitar tabs. Huge learning curve
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: What I Want - 09/23/20 04:55 PM
Zippy!
Nice lyrics.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: What I Want - 09/24/20 09:57 AM
Scott, Moto.. Thanks for checking this out.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: What I Want - 09/26/20 09:18 PM
Very clever write!! Some great rhymes and playful lines there!! Really like the feel of the music.....perfect for the theme! Very well done!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: What I Want - 09/26/20 09:48 PM
As the other Scott said, cool tune. Love the intro. Instrumental tracks create a playful backdrop for the lyrics. Speaking of which, I particularly like the line, "Bachelor king, Mac-mansion style!" cool
Posted By: rayc Re: What I Want - 09/27/20 05:41 AM
I reckon you could use another pickup note at the beginning.
I was expecting an instrumental despite the lyrics given the length of the intro.
What else did you use on vocals beside Melodyne? There's a "processed" sound to it that is quite modern but fairly obvious.
Fun song.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: What I Want - 09/27/20 10:32 AM
Excellent lyrics, and well sung. A great story song.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: What I Want - 09/27/20 12:13 PM
Greg, Ezekiel...thanks for taking a listen! I appreciate your comments!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: What I Want - 09/27/20 12:14 PM
Marty, Rayc..thanks for your feedback..I'll take another look at both adding a pickup-note and effects on the vocal..good constructive help!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: What I Want - 09/27/20 02:02 PM
Excellent lyrics, particularly those cutting opening verses before the change of heart!
The backing grooves along nicely (are those handclaps a loop?),though I`m not sure the long intro, good as it sounds with the alternating soloists, serves the song.
Someone said "playful" and that `s just right; well done.

Robert
Posted By: Derochette Re: What I Want - 09/27/20 05:01 PM
Hello Tano music,
Optimistic lyrics, listening to your composition we feel your pleasure in life, it is well done and we feel strengthened to face the problems of everyday life.

Kindly regard

Dero13 alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: What I Want - 09/27/20 06:41 PM
"Get an itch, I simply spend;
Got the coin, there is no end;
Endless spring, my treasure pile;
Bachelor king, Mac-mansion style!
Pool-side honey, love the money;
All is sunny, I got it all!"

Great setup for the change of heart.

Fine band and a cornucopia of rhymes!

Melodyne, fx or whatever smile the vocals sound excellent.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Tano Music Re: What I Want - 09/27/20 07:22 PM
Robert, Dero, J&B...all, thanks for the kind remarks, and I appreciate that you took a moment to listen!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: What I Want - 09/27/20 10:06 PM
Great lyrics, good song, I always think of Michael Franks when I listen to your tracks. Little bit of Steely Dan sometimes. Good work!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: What I Want - 09/27/20 11:05 PM
Thanks, TuneMonger--you've put me in some stellar company! I sure appreciate it! Thanks again.
Posted By: Al-David Re: What I Want - 09/28/20 01:33 AM
Hey Tano ...

Fun, interesting and just plain feel good sounds here. You have a very nice signature sound. Nice chord progression on the chorus. And that sax seals the deal. Great song ... great listen. Take care & be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Birchwood Re: What I Want - 09/28/20 07:53 AM
Hi Tano,

Always when you come with a new song I got surprised by the angle you let the melody flow.
This song is no exception to that. At the start I thought 'where is he heading to?'.
At the time I thought it would be an instrumental after all, you started singing.
So it pleased me much!

I also work with Melodyne and like Scott said, it has a high learning curve. Steep as well.
And in your vocals I could hear some of the challenges of that programm.
But having said that, the most important thing is that your song is very nice and creative to listen to.

Hans
Posted By: Tano Music Re: What I Want - 09/28/20 04:41 PM
Alan, Hans, Thank you for listening in...I really appreciate your feedback and following my little story of conversion!
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: What I Want - 09/29/20 07:17 PM
Agree with the other comments. You know, one thing that really hooked me on this was the upbeat vibe and the clever chord changes. Every time it might turn stale - nope - another twist, another turn, another phrase. And you kept that up throughout. I think you are really onto something here. Really fun!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: What I Want - 09/30/20 01:44 PM
Tano,
Fun & Funky uplifting satire! Nicely done both musically and lyrically. Lyrics can be read as a poem and special by themselves. Cool piece!
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: What I Want - 09/30/20 02:12 PM
Ed & Misha..thanks for the supportive comments..thanks for listening!
Posted By: dcuny Re: What I Want - 09/30/20 04:53 PM
I really like the upbeat feel of the song, and it's nicely balanced. Vocals are clear and well balanced against the instruments.

Good write, too.

Lots of nits, though - more than I have a right to post, but I'll do it anyway because... well... wink These reflect more my personal preferences, and I can't claim making any changes would make the song better!

The song feels like it started by someone who dropped the needle on the track, skipping past the intro. I guess I expect something to precede those flurry of notes, be it a kick drum, some horn stabs, or whatever - something to start the musical motor instead of jumping right in. Clearly this is personal preference.

The introduction is long, with a trade-off between a number of instruments. It feels like an instrumental, but the trading off makes it sound like the song can't figure out it's identity. It felt like you had a bunch of cool stuff that could use, but rather than choose one, you decided to use them all. Again - personal preference.

There's a change in attitude between the first two halves of the song, where the singer has an epiphany. But the feel, instrumentation, intensity, and vocal performance all remain the same. I think it would have been more effective to somehow reflect the emotional journey of the singer.

Despite what I've written, it was a fun listen! laugh
Posted By: vicarn Re: What I Want - 09/30/20 05:10 PM
Very imaginative piece you have here. Takes me out of this world for a while.
Lots of work I reckon.

Vic
Posted By: Tano Music Re: What I Want - 09/30/20 05:30 PM
Vic and David.. Thanks.. David, you're right on most points.. I had most of those same thoughts, but I've decided to leave it as is.. I may add something to designate the "Epiphany moment" - - harp arpeggio? - - to set it off as the closing chapter.
© PG Music Forums