PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Everybody's Business - 09/26/20 01:51 AM
Everybody's Business

I posted this to give you a small insight to my "messing around" with BIAB. I recently posted an all acoustic song called "Nobody's Business". I used the exact same chord pattern but put it to a spirited Smooth Jazz arrangement in this song. I didn't change a single chord but used all new backing tracks. This is what I came up with.

If Brent Mason and Norman Brown had a love child, this might be what he would play. Hope you enjoy it a bit. But the thought of them having a love child is, indeed, a bit disturbing!

Song Summary – Everybody’s Business

File:Everybody's Business.SGU

Key=C , Tempo 175, Length (m:s)=3:25

Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,

Style is _BEBOPBM.STY (Bebop Trio w/ Country Guitar)

BassCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
DrumsCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
PianoCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
GuitarCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
MelodyCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded

RealTracks in style: ~752:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz BeBop Sw 190
RealTracks in style: ~755:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz BeBop Sw 190
RealTracks in style: 1713:Guitar, Electric, Soloist WesternSwingBrent Sw 165 (jazz/laid-back timing)
Loop in Song: Drums\AmericanaLooseShuffleFred
Loop in Song: AcousticDrumSingle\Jazz - swing120_brush_sn1 sw8.wav
RealDrums [in style:Jazz: a: HiHat b: Ride & Snare

Posted By: Tano Music Re: Everybody's Business - 09/26/20 09:04 AM
I love experiments like this! And what a great result! I wish I had this kind of command of BIAB...makes me realize that I’m only scraping the surface of what can be done. Alan, your compositions are always so pleasing, and this is no exception. I particularly liked how you “allowed” your drummer to add quite interesting variations, esp on high-hats, as the song sequence ran through its repetitions. Enjoyed it a lot!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Everybody's Business - 09/26/20 10:35 AM
Alan,

The Master strikes again!

A stunning instrumental. You do a great job of allowing a breath here and there at appropriate moments.

A dazzling display of BIAB abilities.

Beautiful mix. Great listen.

fj
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Everybody's Business - 09/26/20 11:56 AM
Plenty of wow factor involved in this quite unique and classy production Al.

Toe-tappin' good all the way through.

You definitely put a classy act together.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 09/26/20 12:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
I love experiments like this! And what a great result! I wish I had this kind of command of BIAB...makes me realize that I’m only scraping the surface of what can be done. Alan, your compositions are always so pleasing, and this is no exception. I particularly liked how you “allowed” your drummer to add quite interesting variations, esp on high-hats, as the song sequence ran through its repetitions. Enjoyed it a lot!

Thanks so much, Tano. I probably know little more than 10% of the capabilities of this fabulous software. I do a lot of experimenting ... sometimes it works out okay; other times not quite so good. I have quite a collection of the not-so-good variety!

Working on things like this is the break I get from taking care of my wife, which is pretty much a 24/7 necessity. But, at least I can do it just a few feet away from her.

I appreciate your wonderful comments. Thanks again. Have a great weekend and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 09/26/20 12:21 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

A stunning instrumental. You do a great job of allowing a breath here and there at appropriate moments.

fj

Floyd, once again I am humbled by your comments. Thank you so much. I have quite a few these I've not posted - don't want to hog the forum. Since I already had the chord pattern (it's a bit unusual, even by my definition, particularly the chorus), it only took me 3 - 4 hours to put this one together. Most of that time was spent previewing a lot of possible RTs.

Best to you & yours. Have a great weekend. Be safe ...

Alan

PS: Di says "Hi, Floyd!"
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 09/26/20 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Plenty of wow factor involved in this quite unique and classy production Al.

Toe-tappin' good all the way through.

You definitely put a classy act together.

VT ...

Thank you very much. You put a big smile on this old face! And nope ... the wrinkles didn't hurt.

As I told Floyd, the chord pattern for this one is a bit unusual. I've played around with chord progressions for many years. Trying to be unique yet musically coherent is sometimes a bit of a challenge. But I can usually make it work.

Thanks again. Enjoy your weekend. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Derochette Re: Everybody's Business - 09/26/20 03:02 PM
Hello Al-David,

Very rich composition by its solo guitar. The mix is ​​great. very pleasant.

Kindly regard

Dero13
Alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 09/26/20 08:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello Al-David,

Very rich composition by its solo guitar. The mix is ​​great. very pleasant.

Kindly regard

Dero13
Alias JaniJackFlash

Thank you very much, Dero13. Glad you enjoyed it! Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: Everybody's Business - 09/27/20 06:16 AM
This version is sprightly and very effective.
COOL.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Everybody's Business - 09/27/20 06:51 AM
I've said it before, you rule at doing these instrumentals, Alan, and this pretty much proves that I think.

This is great, loved it from start to finish.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Everybody's Business - 09/27/20 10:13 AM
So cool, Alan. That's surely one of the funnest things about BiaB, right? SO much fun to experiment. And this one is hugely successful. Love that guitar, and the comping piano. Brilliant use of this amazing program.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Everybody's Business - 09/27/20 02:21 PM
Alan,
Another very enjoyable example of the wonders of software in your hands- very good!
I`m curious; are you taking the RT`s into a DAW or doing everything right in Biab?

Robert
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Everybody's Business - 09/27/20 10:31 PM
Loved it! What a band! Fantastic listen!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 09/28/20 01:03 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
This version is sprightly and very effective.
COOL.

Good Evening, Ray ...

Glad you enjoyed it. I appreciate the listen and supportive comment. Hope you had a terrific weekend. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 09/28/20 01:06 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I've said it before, you rule at doing these instrumentals, Alan, and this pretty much proves that I think.

This is great, loved it from start to finish.

Hello Dave ...

You are very kind with your comments. Thank you so much. I'm delighted you enjoyed your listen. But, i think the only thing I've ever mastered is saying "Yes, Ma'am. Would you like that today or yesterday?" when my wife has something to say.

Hope your weekend was great. Please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 09/28/20 01:11 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
So cool, Alan. That's surely one of the funnest things about BiaB, right? SO much fun to experiment. And this one is hugely successful. Love that guitar, and the comping piano. Brilliant use of this amazing program.

Hey Marty!

It's always a treat when you stop in for a listen. I sure do appreciate all that kindness! And yes ... 'tis a lot of fun to just sit down and tinker with everything and wait to see what happens. I used to do that for hours upon hours. But since my wife's health has deteriorated to so quickly over the past few years, those times are now few and far between.

You are so correct about BIAB being an amazing piece of software. And for all the avenues it gives us songwriters/composers, it's a very fair price.

Take care, my friend. Be as safe as possible.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 09/28/20 01:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Alan,
Another very enjoyable example of the wonders of software in your hands- very good!
I`m curious; are you taking the RT`s into a DAW or doing everything right in Biab?

Robert

Hi Robert ...

Thank you for the really nice compliments! And no, I do not use a DAW ... unless you want to define Audacity as a DAW. I do all my touching up on the chord input sheet - volume disparities, reverb, panning, most of the EQ adjustments, etc. I then take the SGU to Audacity to convert it to both a high bit-rate MP3 and a WAV file. I sometimes make a few small touchups in Audacity, such as minor compression and occasionally more finite EQ, if needed. From there I export the final take into a desktop folder, along with the SGU, song summary from BIAB, the Audacity Project files and a graphic. That's my entire process - straight from the chord sheet - to Audacity - a desktop folder. Then I'm done!

I have no third party software other than Audacity. No external VSTs, loops, sound effects, etc.

This particular song took me less than 4 hours from the time I opened up BIAB until I posted it on SoundCloud.

I'm very happy it works for you. Thank for letting me know! wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 09/28/20 01:26 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Loved it! What a band! Fantastic listen!

Good Evening, TM ...

Thank you very much! I may have to give the band a raise after that performance ... twice what they're making now! whistle

Thanks again, I always appreciate your visits and comments. Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Everybody's Business - 09/28/20 09:26 AM
Hi Alan,

When reading the title of this song I thought I already listened to it. But I saw no green dot that I did.
Then you explained what caused my confussion. Nobody's business are now everybody's business'!
And I think you are right. This song is very good, containes a very lovely melody and is well performed. Therefore it's everybody's business.

Alan, well done!

Hans
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Everybody's Business - 09/28/20 05:59 PM
Alan,
would never have guessed it is same chord set. Excellent guitar work! Very refreshing. Nice song picture too! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Everybody's Business - 09/28/20 11:30 PM
The band swings for sure. Nice arrangement. Nice work.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Everybody's Business - 09/29/20 12:31 AM
Good work! Solid melodic playing backed by a good arrangement that kept things moving forward.

smile
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 09/29/20 04:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Alan,

When reading the title of this song I thought I already listened to it. But I saw no green dot that I did.
Then you explained what caused my confussion. Nobody's business are now everybody's business'!
And I think you are right. This song is very good, containes a very lovely melody and is well performed. Therefore it's everybody's business.

Alan, well done!

Hans

Hi Hans ...

yeah, I can see why you thought you previously had listened to it. I'm glad you like this rendering of that chord progression. It's just an example what can be accomplished with varying the RTs and other b/g inclusions. Thanks for the listen and very nice comments. Wishing you the best. Be safe ...

Alas
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 09/29/20 04:47 PM
Hi Misha ...

Thanks for listening and commenting so nicely. I appreciate it. I'm delighted you liked this version of the chord pattern. Wishing you the very best. Bes safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 09/29/20 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
The band swings for sure. Nice arrangement. Nice work.

Hi jptx3 ...

Thank you very much. It was intended to be a toe-tapper. I think saying it swings is close enough for me to say I might have succeeded in my effort. Thank you very much! Wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 09/29/20 04:50 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Good work! Solid melodic playing backed by a good arrangement that kept things moving forward.

smile

Thank you, David! That's a very nice review .. I appreciate it very much. Best to you & yours ...

Alan

PS: Hope the fires are not too close to you. Di and I often think about you regarding that. Please be safe.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Everybody's Business - 09/30/20 12:10 PM
Again you amaze me Alan. Guitar was awesome. Such a cool listen well done
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Everybody's Business - 09/30/20 12:58 PM
Man, if one is a bit late listening to your compositions all the accolades have been eloquently stated leaving little left to say ... so dittos to all of the above.

I've always felt that the more rich and nuanced chord progressions bring out the best of RT's and the solos in particular. And that is what you are so good at.

And good at it to the extent that we simply listen to your productions in toto with never the slightest urge to parse things out. Just enjoy. And we did.

J&B
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Everybody's Business - 09/30/20 07:56 PM
Bravo, bravo. This track made me smile from start to finish. Everything sits right in its place. I really felt like the guitar was having a conversation with the other instruments and saying "hey, listen to what I've got to say" to the listener - me. Reaching that level is always a thrill to hear.

P.S. +1 to Janice and Bud - not much left to add smile
Posted By: vicarn Re: Everybody's Business - 10/01/20 08:23 AM
It does sound like a band having fun.
Just wondered what it would be like if there was another lead instrument (piano or sax) taking turns, starting at about 00:45.

Vic
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 10/01/20 12:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Man, if one is a bit late listening to your compositions all the accolades have been eloquently stated leaving little left to say ... so dittos to all of the above.

I've always felt that the more rich and nuanced chord progressions bring out the best of RT's and the solos in particular. And that is what you are so good at.

And good at it to the extent that we simply listen to your productions in toto with never the slightest urge to parse things out. Just enjoy. And we did.

J&B

Hey guys ...

I'll simply say you guys are awesome and I sincerely appreciate those accolades. I'm feeling pretty rocky today ... so this put a nice smile on my face. Glad I stopped in to read your kind comments before going to bed. Again, many thanks! Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 10/01/20 12:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Again you amaze me Alan. Guitar was awesome. Such a cool listen well done

Hi Scott ...

And you amaze me with your comments. Thank you so very much! I appreciate all that! Take care and be safe. Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 10/01/20 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
Bravo, bravo. This track made me smile from start to finish. Everything sits right in its place. I really felt like the guitar was having a conversation with the other instruments and saying "hey, listen to what I've got to say" to the listener - me. Reaching that level is always a thrill to hear.

P.S. +1 to Janice and Bud - not much left to add smile

ED Z ...

Thank you so very much! If I trully did accomplish all the things you mentioned ... then I exceeded my expectations. Thank you for your kindness. I truly appreciate it!

Wishing you the very best. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 10/01/20 12:16 PM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
It does sound like a band having fun.
Just wondered what it would be like if there was another lead instrument (piano or sax) taking turns, starting at about 00:45.

Vic

Hi Vic ...

Thanks for your very nice comments. I tried a couple of other lead instruments for the reason you mentioned, but each one seemed to fall short of the robust sound the lead guitar offered. So mI left it as is.

Again, many thanks. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Everybody's Business - 10/02/20 12:19 PM
That's cool!
I hope, when I grow up, I hope I can get that good at BIAB.
Very snappy little tune.
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: Everybody's Business - 10/02/20 09:02 PM
Wow, what a flashback!! Back in the 70s I was in a small combo that played this kind of music, and this is great!!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 10/03/20 03:19 AM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
That's cool!
I hope, when I grow up, I hope I can get that good at BIAB.
Very snappy little tune.

Hello Cap'n ...

As Janice and Bud have been known say ... "Don't grow up. It's a trap!"

Actually, I probably haven't tapped into more than 10% of BIAB's capabilities ... and that's not an exaggeration. I've learned the basics pretty good, I guess. I just work like heck to make the basics sound as good as I can.

But I sure do appreciate those very kind words. Thanks a bunch!

Best to you. be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 10/03/20 03:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields
Wow, what a flashback!! Back in the 70s I was in a small combo that played this kind of music, and this is great!!

Hi Ronnie ...

Until about 1990, I played nothing but Country (that's where the money was!) but I always enjoyed other genres, particularly Jazz and what's now called Smooth RnB. After playing Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Ray price, etc., music I'd often go home and play around with many of the other genres.

Glad this gave you a nice flashback! And many thanks for your kindness!

Wishing you the very best and please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Bawb Re: Everybody's Business - 10/05/20 12:48 PM
Al-David...Hi folks,

Listening to you tune, I can hear Ella or Satchmo singing along in my head.

Such awesome, awesome guitar playing! You can really make that thing sing...

I was once a secret, but it's everybody's business now! YEAH
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Everybody's Business - 10/05/20 02:21 PM
Hi Alan nice work great use of biab for sure really great listen thanks for sharing Eric
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 10/05/20 05:39 PM
Hi Bawb ...

I always appreciate it when you stop in for a listen. That guitar is actually a BIAB RT. Once upon a time I could play pretty decently; but I know have a disease called focal dystonia which significantly affects the control of my fingers ..not in a good way!

I'm delighted you enjoyed your listen. Di (my wife) and I are huge fans of Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, Etta James, Tony Bennett, Louis Armstrong, Eartha Kitt, etc. We love that style of music, so we very much appreciate your comment referencing a couple of them. Many thanks!

BTW, our favorite contemporary artists of the genre, as it's slightly changed over the years, are Diana Krall and Steve Tyrell. Check them out, if you're interested. i think you might enjoy them.

Wishing you the best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Everybody's Business - 10/06/20 10:40 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi Alan nice work great use of biab for sure really great listen thanks for sharing Eric

Hi Eric ...

Many thanks for those very nice words! Sure do appreciate them. Wishing you the very best. Take care and be safe.

Alan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Everybody's Business - 10/13/20 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

fj

A Master indeed!! That's why I'm so often inspired by your great instrumentals! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums