PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David One Last Try - 10/03/20 05:36 AM
One Last Try

I wrote this several months ago. It was a submission for the opening soundtrack of a TV talent show. It didn't get selected. The graphic on the Soundcloud post is my of my older brother, Ronnie. He passed away last summer from recurring cancer. About six months before he died he said, "I'll give it one last try" - referring to another round of chemo. RIP, Ronnie. You were the best big brother I could have had.

File:One Last Try.SGU
Key=E , Tempo 125, Length (m:s)=3:19

Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,

Style is _RUTHLES.STY (Ruthless Psychedelic Rock w Loop)

BassCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
DrumsCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
PianoCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
GuitarCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
StringsCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded

RealTracks in style: 1523:Bass, Electric, PopPowerA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1257:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningRock8ths Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 3440:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BritPsycRockMarchGrittyChords Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 1607:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Pop16thsGritty Ev16 110
Loop in Song: Loops PAK 2\Rock\Drums, Acoustic, RockTomGrooveA-B Ev 120.wav
RealTracks in song: 1260:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopShining Ev 120
Loop in Song: AcousticDrumFullKit\Reggaeton - reggaeton_100_bridge_block1 ev16.wav
RealDrums [in Song:PraiseWorshipShine^01-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
Posted By: Tano Music Re: One Last Try - 10/03/20 09:08 AM
Real nice track, and a great tribute to your brother. Alan, you have a tremendous skill for selecting/arranging/placing the RT components--it's something I really admire in your work. The results you get are coherent and additive to the end product. I can definitely see this as thematic music, but it's eminently listenable as a stand-alone piece. Enjoyed it a lot!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: One Last Try - 10/03/20 11:56 AM
Nice tribute!

High energy for sure.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: One Last Try - 10/03/20 12:55 PM
Alan,

Sorry for your loss. A terrific tribute.

Another WOW-level instrumental. High energy. Great mix. Superb solo guitar!

Powerful.

fj
Posted By: dcuny Re: One Last Try - 10/03/20 03:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your brother.

Super track! laugh
Posted By: Scott C Re: One Last Try - 10/03/20 08:25 PM
Very cool tune Alan Loved the guitar. So sorry for your loss
Posted By: Tangmo Re: One Last Try - 10/04/20 01:12 PM
I love the clip at which this thing moves. Great energy. Sounds wonderful on both phones and monitors. Classy progression and very nice production. Very much enjoyed, though I might have a harder time getting to sleep.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: One Last Try - 10/05/20 05:56 AM
Good stuff, Alan! You have a real knack for arranging these instrumentals.

Guitar is right in the pocket, track sounds great too.

Enjoyed!

Sorry to hear about your brother frown
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: One Last Try - 10/05/20 03:27 PM
Superb work Al. Really nothing to add to above or what we always say about your BiaB productions.

Anybody that harbors doubt about the value of BiaB needs to go to SC and listen to you for a while. Case closed.

Whether selected or not regarding the sync opp it is a wonderful tribute to your brother. May he rest in peace.

Great listen(s)!

J&B
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: One Last Try - 10/05/20 11:29 PM
Nice production. Too bad it didn't get picked. You threw your hat (song) into the ring at least. Hat's off to you for that. Condolences on your brother's passing.
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/06/20 10:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Real nice track, and a great tribute to your brother. Alan, you have a tremendous skill for selecting/arranging/placing the RT components--it's something I really admire in your work. The results you get are coherent and additive to the end product. I can definitely see this as thematic music, but it's eminently listenable as a stand-alone piece. Enjoyed it a lot!

Hi Tano

I sure do appreciate all that! Thank you very much! I just do what I can with the limited knowledge I have of this great software.

Wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/06/20 10:22 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Nice tribute!

High energy for sure.

Howdy Cap'n ...

Glad the energy comes a cross ... that was the intent. Thanks for confirming I might have got it right!

Wishing you the best and please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/06/20 10:24 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

Sorry for your loss. A terrific tribute.

Another WOW-level instrumental. High energy. Great mix. Superb solo guitar!

Powerful.

fj

And a WOW! quality review! Thank you for all the kind words over the past several years. I appreciate it very, very much. Thanks for the kindness to my brother. he was one of the best singers most folks have never heard.

Wishing you the best. Please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/06/20 10:25 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Sorry to hear about your brother.

Super track! laugh

Thanks, David. Ronnie was quite a singer. Glad you enjoyed the song. I appreciate you letting me know.

Best to you and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/06/20 10:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool tune Alan Loved the guitar. So sorry for your loss

Hi Scott ...

Thanks for the very kind words. This was a fun song to put together. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/06/20 10:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
I love the clip at which this thing moves. Great energy. Sounds wonderful on both phones and monitors. Classy progression and very nice production. Very much enjoyed, though I might have a harder time getting to sleep.

Hi Tangmo ...

Thank you very much! I'm more than delighted you enjoyed it. But, not apologies if it kept you from sleeping! That means, I think, I got the energy level close to where I was striving. Thanks for the nice words! Wishing you the best. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/06/20 10:32 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Good stuff, Alan! You have a real knack for arranging these instrumentals.

Guitar is right in the pocket, track sounds great too.

Enjoyed!

Sorry to hear about your brother frown

Hi Dave ...

For whatever reason, these instrumentals just come to me. Sometimes I get lucky and they come out half-way decent. Thanks for the mixing comments ... as you know, my mixing process is almost Neanderthal! And thanks for the condolences. Ronnie was a fabulous singer who deserved a wider audience.

Best to you. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/06/20 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Superb work Al. Really nothing to add to above or what we always say about your BiaB productions.

Anybody that harbors doubt about the value of BiaB needs to go to SC and listen to you for a while. Case closed.

Whether selected or not regarding the sync opp it is a wonderful tribute to your brother. May he rest in peace.

Great listen(s)!

J&B

Hey Guys!

I don't blush easily but your humbling comments caused it to happen. I guess we old farts have to hang together! But, I'm only old by numerical definition. My heart and my body still perform as though i were twenty years younger. Many sincere thanks! I appreciate the condolences. Ronnie was great talent with a much too narrow audience.

Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/06/20 10:37 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Nice production. Too bad it didn't get picked. You threw your hat (song) into the ring at least. Hat's off to you for that. Condolences on your brother's passing.

jpt x 3 ...

Thank you so much. My grandfather always told me that no one will say "Yes!" if you don't ask (in this case, submit). I appreciate the kind words and the condolences.

Wishing you the very best. Please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: One Last Try - 10/07/20 03:03 AM
A very UP vibe full of strength.
Cool.
Posted By: Derochette Re: One Last Try - 10/07/20 11:30 AM
Hello Al-David,

Beautiful instrumental composition. The guitar is used very well. The rhythm is pleasant and the mix well done. It is not always easy to be selected where there is competition and introduction by friends of friends.

Kindly regard

alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Belladonna Re: One Last Try - 10/07/20 12:40 PM
Hi Alan,
Sorry for your loss, life can sometimes be so difficult. Bet your brother would have really liked it. I like the upbeat and strong feeling it gives. Nice!!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: One Last Try - 10/07/20 07:00 PM
Sounds like a solid TV theme to me, another winner from you. I lost my brother a year ago, I keep thinking he's still here, then I realize he's not. Know how you feel.
Posted By: PeterF Re: One Last Try - 10/07/20 09:08 PM
Alan
Lovely work Alan and a nice tribute to your brother.
You really did a great job with the soloist guitar RT.
Excellent.
Peter
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/08/20 08:16 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
A very UP vibe full of strength.
Cool.

Thank you, Ray. Much appreciated! Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/08/20 08:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello Al-David,

Beautiful instrumental composition. The guitar is used very well. The rhythm is pleasant and the mix well done. It is not always easy to be selected where there is competition and introduction by friends of friends.

Kindly regard

alias JaniJackFlash

Hi Dero ...

I sincerely appreciate your very nice comments. I've been in the music business since 1964 and fully aware of the competition ... I've had a number of submissions not selected. But, on the other hand, I've been fortunate to have 27 songs get selected for a variety of projects. The rejections don't really bother me ... just part of the business.

Again, many thanks for the kind words. Wishing you the very best. Please be safe.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/08/20 08:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Hi Alan,
Sorry for your loss, life can sometimes be so difficult. Bet your brother would have really liked it. I like the upbeat and strong feeling it gives. Nice!!

Hi Donna ...

Thank you so mcuh. I'm glad you enjoyed the song. And yeah, I think he would have approved. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/08/20 08:25 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Sounds like a solid TV theme to me, another winner from you. I lost my brother a year ago, I keep thinking he's still here, then I realize he's not. Know how you feel.

HI TM ...

First, so sad to hear about your brother. Sincere condolences from Di and me. We've buried three of our children, so we're no strangers to loss of close loved ones. But we continue to move on with our lives. Yet, the tragedy is always there. We just find the least uncomfortable place to put it.

I appreciate your very kind words and constant support. It means a lot. Always love your posts!!!

Wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: One Last Try - 10/08/20 07:37 PM
You've really created an inspiring and uplifting song. Some songs seem to speak to you, even when you don't know what they are saying, and this one certainly achieves that. Really great.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: One Last Try - 10/08/20 11:29 PM
Hi Alan,

I'm just working my way through the forum. It's been quite a while since I sat down and spent any serious time in here.

I'm so sorry and saddened to read about your brother. My condolences for your loss. Even though we all know how life works, and that it's a journey that begins and ends, it doesn't soften the blow of losing those we love.

I'm so glad that this work of yours is up near the top of the posts. When I saw your name, it was a magnet that pulled me into this thread.

It's very refreshing to come back after an absence and to hear your music. Your competence still shines through and through. What I always like about your songs is that you compose and assemble your arrangements with all the finesse of a band master. You know exactly what goes where to achieve the results you want... what sound is needed here, what chord is needed there, what nuances will lift the aural texture to the next level, etc., etc. As someone less skilled in this arena, I seriously admire what you do.

Thank you for taking me on yet another delightful musical journey.

Please say hi to Di for me. I hope that things are sailing along on calm, blue waters for you both.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: musician17 Re: One Last Try - 10/10/20 07:59 AM
So sorry to hear about your brother. May he truly rest in peace.

This is a punchy track that keeps one's attention throughout ... great guitar melodic lines throughout that come out from the background, yet well mixed so they blend with it. I genuinely like this a lot. Great job - like someone said on SoundCloud, you're so versatile, too ... every time you post a track, I have no idea what genre it will be like, purely because of your versatility. This is no exception. Well done.
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/10/20 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Alan
Lovely work Alan and a nice tribute to your brother.
You really did a great job with the soloist guitar RT.
Excellent.
Peter

Thanks so much, peter. I truly appreciate your very nice comments! wishing you the very best. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/10/20 05:23 PM
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
You've really created an inspiring and uplifting song. Some songs seem to speak to you, even when you don't know what they are saying, and this one certainly achieves that. Really great.

Hi!

Thank you so much for your very nice words. When a song speaks to someone in any fashion, a composer couldn't ask for much more. I appreciate that very much.

Best to you. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/10/20 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Alan,

I'm just working my way through the forum. It's been quite a while since I sat down and spent any serious time in here.

I'm so sorry and saddened to read about your brother. My condolences for your loss. Even though we all know how life works, and that it's a journey that begins and ends, it doesn't soften the blow of losing those we love.

I'm so glad that this work of yours is up near the top of the posts. When I saw your name, it was a magnet that pulled me into this thread.

It's very refreshing to come back after an absence and to hear your music. Your competence still shines through and through. What I always like about your songs is that you compose and assemble your arrangements with all the finesse of a band master. You know exactly what goes where to achieve the results you want... what sound is needed here, what chord is needed there, what nuances will lift the aural texture to the next level, etc., etc. As someone less skilled in this arena, I seriously admire what you do.

Thank you for taking me on yet another delightful musical journey.

Please say hi to Di for me. I hope that things are sailing along on calm, blue waters for you both.

All the best,
Noel

Hi Noel ...

Not really sure what to say after reading such a wonderful litany of kind comments. I am both humbled and pleased with your comments.

All I can say is, as far as "assembling" the various pieces of the production, it all just seems to come to me naturally. I do not fret and worry over that aspect very much as I know it will come to me in time. Although selecting the various tracks/RTs might take some time due to the many available options, it's not particularly challenging in most cases, although there have been a few exceptions to that.

The most difficult and time-consuming part, for me, is the mix. As I think you know, I do not use a DAW or any third party options. If it cannot be found and/or modified on the BIAB chord input page or in Audacity, it won't happen. I do spend a fair amount of time tweaking the various tracks on the chord input page. If you looked at the song and bar settings used in the chord input page, it would probably boggle your mind!

I was so happy to see you commenting on the forum! I told Di last week that I'd not seen you on the PG Music Forums in quite a while and was hoping all was well with you. So nice to have you back for whatever time you can give us!

Wishing you and yours all the very best. Please take care and be safe ...

Alan

PS: Di is waving and says "Hello, Noel!"
Posted By: Al-David Re: One Last Try - 10/10/20 05:39 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
So sorry to hear about your brother. May he truly rest in peace.

This is a punchy track that keeps one's attention throughout ... great guitar melodic lines throughout that come out from the background, yet well mixed so they blend with it. I genuinely like this a lot. Great job - like someone said on SoundCloud, you're so versatile, too ... every time you post a track, I have no idea what genre it will be like, purely because of your versatility. This is no exception. Well done.

Hi James ...

As always, I appreciate and take notice of all your comments. I appreciate your constant support of and kindness to my music. I guess I'm so versatile because I like and enjoy so many different genres of music. And, like most things in life that I enjoy, I won't to be a participant in them. And I spend many hours experimenting with the seemingly unending possibilities offered by Band In A Box.

Again , thank you very much. Please care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: One Last Try - 10/13/20 09:33 PM
Sorry for your loss Alan. I still have both my siblings and hope they outlive me.....never want to say goodbye from this end. Really fantastic instrumental!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Birchwood Re: One Last Try - 10/14/20 09:58 AM
Hi Alan,

I am sure that TV talent show doesn't excist anymore? They would if they'd chosen this tune. Very nice and, as others said, 'highly energetic' and still very melodic. The band performed very well and the mix is very good. You did that mix yourself?

Also as others said, sorry for your loss, Alan! Was your brother also making music. It looked like he did, on the picture.

Stay safe you and Di,
Hans
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: One Last Try - 10/14/20 10:19 AM
Alan,
Power stuff! Very uplifting composition. Perfect RT choices. Neat usage of holds. Listens very well. Sorry about your brother. Thank you for sharing this tribute.

Misha.
© PG Music Forums