PG Music Home
Posted By: CaptainMoto Where Is Justice - 10/03/20 03:07 PM
Here's my latest cut from my album called "Sign of Our Times'
Just a few observations on current events.

https://soundcloud.com/captainmoto/where-is-justice-1

"Where Is Justice"

Drums - RealDrums BluesRockSloSlowEv
Bass - 701 Bass Electric
Piano - 2503 Piano, Acoustic
Rhythm Guitar 1 - 2677 Acoustic
Rhythm Guitar 2 -CaptainMoto Flaxwood Routia, Victoria Amp
Guitar Fills -CaptainMoto Flaxwood Routia, Victoria Amp
Vocals -CaptainMoto, Bad as ever

DAW -Studio One 5

Lyrics:

We built a mighty courthouse, to show the world that justice reigns
In the land of opportunity, where everyone's the same
But equal justice under law, has never been attained

Where is justice now....Oh Lord
And when the law is stacked against ya, you got to know that .....Oh, justice is gone, Oh Lord

If you got pockets full of money, and influential friends
You buy a politician, and reap the dividends
Bend the laws, Twist the truth, The cycle never ends

Where is justice now....Oh Lord
And if the law is stacked against ya, you got to know that... Oh, justice is gone,... Oh no

If you are just a citizen, with a message on a sign, just keep on march'n down the street, yea
Hold your message high
You don't need no money, your currency is your vote

Oh...where is justice now....Oh no
And when the law is stacked against ya, you got to know that... Oh, justice is gone

Where is justice now

Posted By: Scott C Re: Where Is Justice - 10/03/20 08:21 PM
Wow loved this. Love the tone in your voice. Very cool song. Got a Leon Russell vibe.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/03/20 08:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow loved this. Love the tone in your voice. Very cool song. Got a Leon Russell vibe.

Thanks Scott,
I'm always disappointed with my vocals.
I know it can have a unique flavor that can work sometimes but, I'm not talented enough to capitalize on whatever that is.
Really had to work the EQ and compression to make this half decent.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Where Is Justice - 10/04/20 10:24 AM
Captain,

This sounds good. All of the instruments come across well and your vocal sits in it nicely. Good song.

Mix is good. Personally, I would not pan the guitar fills so far to one side. They can be pulled a little towards center to have them not pull your ear so hard (left). (Though some people like that type panning...)

Your vocals are good. I caught a Stephen Stills sound a few times (with a slight bit of Neil Young mixed in). And the song sounds like something they would do...

Good job.

fj
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/04/20 10:49 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Captain,

This sounds good. All of the instruments come across well and your vocal sits in it nicely. Good song.

Mix is good. Personally, I would not pan the guitar fills so far to one side. They can be pulled a little towards center to have them not pull your ear so hard (left). (Though some people like that type panning...)

Your vocals are good. I caught a Stephen Stills sound a few times (with a slight bit of Neil Young mixed in). And the song sounds like something they would do...

Good job.

fj

Thanks fj,
Good observations.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Where Is Justice - 10/04/20 01:00 PM
Fine song, well sung. The band and mix are working well here, to my ears. Really liked the hits of vocal doubling and the way you treated the ending. Very satisfying.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/04/20 03:40 PM
Thanks for that Tangmo,
Satisfying.........that's a great feeling.
Your comments are gracious.

Moto
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Where Is Justice - 10/05/20 05:49 AM
Great groove happening with this one, sort of a J.J. Cale vibe happening.

Nice guitar work, that is you panned left I assume?

Also good writing and vocal.

Enjoyed!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/05/20 11:25 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Great groove happening with this one, sort of a J.J. Cale vibe happening.

Nice guitar work, that is you panned left I assume?

Also good writing and vocal.

Enjoyed!

Thank you Dave,
Yes, guitar fills is me, panned left.
Also me on a second guitar with more staccato rhythm on the right.

About vocals: I'm never happy with that but, I've had several comments on some of my songs that mention J.J. Cale.
I'll have to dive in a little on more of his work, maybe I can cultivate that.
Posted By: Bawb Re: Where Is Justice - 10/05/20 12:14 PM
Wowzers! Brother!

I believe Justice caught the last train out of town and took his Wife Freedom, and his 2 daughter Hope and Promise...

What a well sung, put together piece of music ya got there.
Thanks for posting it, I enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/05/20 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Wowzers! Brother!

I believe Justice caught the last train out of town and took his Wife Freedom, and his 2 daughter Hope and Promise...

What a well sung, put together piece of music ya got there.
Thanks for posting it, I enjoyed the listen.

Wowzer! That's good one.

Thank you.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Where Is Justice - 10/05/20 01:22 PM
Captain,
A well written (and sung!) understated protest song. I enjoyed the groove and soulful feel... I also got a little of that JJ Cale reminder.
I liked the chorus vocals ( maybe some of those soul Biab oohs and aahs could have worked too).

Robert
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Where Is Justice - 10/05/20 02:11 PM
Hi Captain love the grove excellent vocal great use of real racks clean and clear mix good stuff thanks for sharing Eric
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/05/20 08:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Captain,
A well written (and sung!) understated protest song. I enjoyed the groove and soulful feel... I also got a little of that JJ Cale reminder.
I liked the chorus vocals ( maybe some of those soul Biab oohs and aahs could have worked too).

Robert

Thank you,
Oohs & aahs, will be on a future song.
Glad you liked it.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/05/20 08:57 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi Captain love the grove excellent vocal great use of real racks clean and clear mix good stuff thanks for sharing Eric
Thanks F.M.M.,
I spent a lot of time cleaning up the vocals and getting them to sit right in the mix.
Thanks for noticing.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Where Is Justice - 10/07/20 05:46 PM
Nice!

We hear a bit of Buffalo Springfield -- a good thing.

"You don't need no money, your currency is your vote"
Indeed.

There is nothing wrong with the vocal. You sell yourself way short.

Janice mentioned the way you phrase
"Where is justice now....Oh Lord"

Nice mix, band and your guitar to wrap it all up in.

Enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Where Is Justice - 10/07/20 06:44 PM
Vox were quite good, I heard JJ Cale a little. Liked the staccato guitar fills. Overall a nice contribution to the growing BIAB Protest Songbook.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/07/20 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Nice!

We hear a bit of Buffalo Springfield -- a good thing.

"You don't need no money, your currency is your vote"
Indeed.

There is nothing wrong with the vocal. You sell yourself way short.

Janice mentioned the way you phrase
"Where is justice now....Oh Lord"

Nice mix, band and your guitar to wrap it all up in.

Enjoyed it.

J&B

You guys are great!
Thanks for the kind words.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/07/20 08:52 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Vox were quite good, I heard JJ Cale a little. Liked the staccato guitar fills. Overall a nice contribution to the growing BIAB Protest Songbook.

Thank you!
I'm looking into JJ with hope that I might capitalize on his style.
Posted By: rayc Re: Where Is Justice - 10/08/20 08:15 AM
A cool song: marks its narrative territory well.
I think you could do some sibilant & plosive reduction to make it more complete.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Where Is Justice - 10/08/20 08:32 AM
Hello Cap'n ...

Yep - I liked it a lot. I read most of the other reviews, which I don't often do, and read a variety of comparisons you other artists. I tend to agree with the Buffalo Springfield suggestion. Nonetheless, it just sounds like what I've come to anticipate from you. I was not disappointed.

Great lyric, band, vocal and presentation/delivery. I enjoyed your vocal very much. Nicely doine in all respects. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Where Is Justice - 10/08/20 08:33 AM
Hello Cap'n ...

Yep - I liked it a lot. I read most of the other reviews, which I don't often do, and read a variety of comparisons you other artists. I tend to agree with the Buffalo Springfield suggestion. Nonetheless, it just sounds like what I've come to anticipate from you. I was not disappointed.

Great lyric, band, vocal and presentation/delivery. I enjoyed your vocal very much. Nicely doine in all respects. Take care and be safe ...

Alan

PS: Sorry about the double comment ... cyberspace can be unpredictable at times!
Posted By: Derochette Re: Where Is Justice - 10/08/20 09:41 AM
Hello CaptainMoto,

The lyrics are awesome and so true. The tone of the voice lends itself wonderfully. The arrangement is pleasant and the tempo well calibrated to the message.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/08/20 11:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Cap'n ...

Alan

Hey Alan,
Thanks for taking the time to listen, read and comment.
The Buffalo Springfield comparison is a new one to me.
Given I generally hate my voice, I'll gladly take any positive comparison.

Thanks
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/08/20 11:34 AM
Thanks Dero13,
I appreciate your comments.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Where Is Justice - 10/13/20 09:15 PM
Very cool song Captain!! Others have mentioned the Springfield, Stills, Young thing, which I also hear.......some damn good influences in my book!! I love the natural vocal delivery you have.....authentic and sincere!! Great job!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Where Is Justice - 10/14/20 10:26 AM
Hi Captain,

What a pleasant surprise hearing you sing this. I liked it immediatly!
I had the impression your vocals would sound more 'massive', but they did nothing of that at all. Nice, gentle and sensitive, with all kinds of twists in the words you sing. Very cool.

And the lyrics? I am afraid they are so true nowadays in your country, or am I talking politics again...

Enjoyed listening very much,

Hans
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/14/20 11:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool song Captain!! Others have mentioned the Springfield, Stills, Young thing, which I also hear.......some damn good influences in my book!! I love the natural vocal delivery you have.....authentic and sincere!! Great job!! Take care. Greg

Thank you sir,
I'm blushing from your glowing comments.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/14/20 11:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Captain,

What a pleasant surprise hearing you sing this. I liked it immediatly!
I had the impression your vocals would sound more 'massive', but they did nothing of that at all. Nice, gentle and sensitive, with all kinds of twists in the words you sing. Very cool.

And the lyrics? I am afraid they are so true nowadays in your country, or am I talking politics again...

Enjoyed listening very much,

Hans

Thanks Hans,
I'm always struggling with my vocals so, positive reinforcement is always encouraging.

Politics???
I wish there was something else grabbing my attention but, these days even life and death has become political here in the good old U.S.A.
The onslaught of disinformation and deliberate confusion being spewed is overwhelming.
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Where Is Justice - 10/20/20 10:25 PM
This is great from note one. Hooked me from the start. There are some songs where you just know it's gonna be good right off and this is one of them. That groove you created was just irresistible, like a slow moving river. For some reason, it makes me think of Eric Clapton - something in the sound.

Great song - very much enjoyed!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Where Is Justice - 10/21/20 02:43 AM
Hi Captain Moto,

This is a great song... well written, excellently arranged and presented with pizzazz! The topic material reminded me of protest songs from the 60s. As others have said, the mix is excellent and you've got your vocals sitting very comfortably in among the instruments.

This is definitely one to be proud of.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/21/20 11:27 AM
Ed Z,
Thanks for the kind comments.
Glad you enjoyed it.

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/21/20 11:29 AM
Noel,
Thanks for making me proud.
Getting the vocals right has been my focus as of late glad to hear your comment.

moto
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Where Is Justice - 10/21/20 03:22 PM
Captain,
I am yet to hear a weak tune from you. Excellent tune, fits perfectly into the theme of your album. Lyrics say it all. Good vocals and guitar work. I too hear (perhaps unintentional) JJ influence. Listens very well, but I do agree with Ray that some d-esser on vocals would benefit this. Also, maybe up the vocal just couple dbs.
Enjoyed my listen. Thank you for sharing.

Misha
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Where Is Justice - 10/24/20 11:30 AM
Misha,
Thanks for the feedback.
© PG Music Forums