PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Pink Lemonade - 10/08/20 10:35 AM
Pink Lemonade

Yeah, I know ... the titles to some of my instrumentals are pretty crappy!

What follows might be more than you want to know about my putting this song together, but for those interested, here goes:

I selected the Style from the Style picker and then replaced the drums, bass, and added the lead guitar. The chord progression and arrangement were my original doing. But the really hard - well, time-consuming - part, was the lead guitar. I worked for several hours getting the echo-chorus delay feedback to totally fill one bar/measure but not bleed into the next bar/measure. Also getting the very slight amount of phase I applied to drift across the horizontal spectrum (right to left) such that it did so in the time frame of a single bar/measure and then renew at the beginning of the subsequent bar/ measure took quite a bit of time. That was very tedious! But, I was pleased with the result.

Also, I attempted to get that signature tone of a Fender Strat on the lead guitar. I think I came pretty close. I did a lot of playing around with the EQ to get as close as I was able.

File:Pink Lemonade.SGU

Key=Gm , Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=3:33

Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,

Style is _JAZRAMP.STY (Slow Amplitube Jazz Rock w Solo)

RealTracks in style: 909:Bass, Electric, SmoothPoppy Ev16 090
RealTracks in style: 913:Piano, Electric, Rhythm SmoothPoppy dry Ev16 090
RealTracks in style: 1402:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Soul70sWarmSync Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 2603:Guitar, Electric, Soloist JazzRock16thsJon Ev16 090
RealDrums [in Song:JazzFunkGroovin-1-HHSdStk,HHSnr [Multi]

Posted By: Tano Music Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/08/20 01:42 PM
Hi Alan.. I know virtually nothing about the guitar characteristics that you're describing, but I enjoyed this track and I think I can get a sense of the challenge you were facing with the bleed over bar to bar. Really good work, and a very pleasant listen!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/09/20 05:32 AM
Hi Alan,

Very cool indeed! Your hard work paid off I think. What plugin did you use to do the echo delay?

Your instrumentals are always top notch, very much enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/09/20 03:20 PM
Hello Al-David,

The reverb effect on the guitar is nice to amplify certain tones. The very punky rhythm and the arrangement form an ideal ensemble in an intimate evening. Well done.

Kindly regard
Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/10/20 11:37 AM
Alan,

My rubber stamp comment: YOU ARE SO GOOD AT THIS!!

A gorgeous instrumental (Deb just said to tell you she loved it!)

This - like so many of your instrumentals - sounds like it could be a radio hit - in the George Benson or Chuck Mangione way...

Great job on the guitar delay/echo.

I thought the snare was just slightly louder than it should be - distracting from the guitar melody line just a little.

Great listen.

fj
Posted By: musician17 Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/10/20 12:49 PM
Alan, I'm useless at the technicalities of these things, but all I know is that I put down everything I was doing when this track started, and I listened to the end without a break in concentration. Loved it. Brilliant. Full stop.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/10/20 04:13 PM
Pretty cool!
Sounds like all your work paid off!
Guitar dances across the mix with good definition and lots of movement.
Well done.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/10/20 05:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Hi Alan.. I know virtually nothing about the guitar characteristics that you're describing, but I enjoyed this track and I think I can get a sense of the challenge you were facing with the bleed over bar to bar. Really good work, and a very pleasant listen!

Hi Tano ...

Thank you so much! It matters little that others understand the "deep thinking" of the behind the scenes stuff ... just that they might enjoy the finished product. I'm delighted you enjoyed this effort. I appreciate you letting me know - thanks for the listen!

Wishing you & yours well. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/10/20 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Alan,

Very cool indeed! Your hard work paid off I think. What plugin did you use to do the echo delay?

Your instrumentals are always top notch, very much enjoyed the listen.

Hi Dave ...

Thanks for verifying the intended results of my efforts. I'm delighted you enjoyed it.

I only use what's available in the BIAB toolbox and the minor adjustments I can make in Audacity. I use no third party sources other than Audacity. For the echo/delay and phase, I use the tools/effects indigenous to BIAB under "Bar Settings" and on rare occasions, "Song Settings". That's it. No DAW, no external VSTs, loops. etc. It's all BIAB and whatever talent I have regarding that great program.

Many thanks! Wishing you well. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/10/20 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello Al-David,

The reverb effect on the guitar is nice to amplify certain tones. The very punky rhythm and the arrangement form an ideal ensemble in an intimate evening. Well done.

Kindly regard
Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash

Good Afternoon, Dero ...

Thank you very much for your most kind comments. It's a really nice and humbling feeling when musical colleagues appreciate one's efforts. Thank you for letting me know!

Wishing you the very best. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/10/20 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

My rubber stamp comment: YOU ARE SO GOOD AT THIS!!

A gorgeous instrumental (Deb just said to tell you she loved it!)

This - like so many of your instrumentals - sounds like it could be a radio hit - in the George Benson or Chuck Mangione way...

Great job on the guitar delay/echo.

I thought the snare was just slightly louder than it should be - distracting from the guitar melody line just a little.

Great listen.

fj

Hello Floyd ...

First, please tell Deb I said "Hi!" and that I appreciate her input!!!

And yeah, that delay/echo thing consumed over half the time I put into the "assembly" of this particular piece. I have to say I was very pleased with the final outcome. Thanks for mentioning it.

I debated where to put that snare in the depth of the mix. I think I got a little lazy with that. I wanted the sidestick to be adequately prominent in the verses. But when it came time for the chorus to start, I should have made a simple adjustment to the volume of the drums during the choruses. Also, I could have cut back a bit on the higher EQ of the drums at that times. As soon as I get a chance, I'll do that. Thanks for the observation.

I think you already know I'm a big fan of George Benson, Wes Montgomery and Ken Navarro, so that was a nice compliment. And Chuck Mangione can make a trumpet or flugelhorn talk in several languages! Always liked hi Pop-Jazz style of music.

Again, thank you very much! I have dozens of partially finished songs somewhat similar to what I've been posting the last year or so. DI's health issues, my commitments to my book publisher also come into play in the available time arena. I'm currently working on 4 novels, two of which need to bee finished by the end of January and the other two my sometime in May/ That will make 9 published novels!

Best to you and yours. Take care and please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/10/20 06:07 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
Alan, I'm useless at the technicalities of these things, but all I know is that I put down everything I was doing when this track started, and I listened to the end without a break in concentration. Loved it. Brilliant. Full stop.

Hello James ...

Thank you so much for your very kind words! I always appreciate your input and comments. It's nice to hear the song "hijacked' you from other activities for a few minutes! What more could a composer ask for?

When it comes to guitar stuff, I'm pretty much on top of it. After that, my music skills suffer. But, I have a heck of a time doing what I can!

Again, thank you! Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/10/20 06:09 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Pretty cool!
Sounds like all your work paid off!
Guitar dances across the mix with good definition and lots of movement.
Well done.

Howdy, Cap'n ...

I love your comments! You covered almost everything I had attempted to accomplish. Thank you so much! I'm happy you enjoyed your listen!

Alan
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/11/20 10:13 AM
Alan, nothing wrong with this one, even including the title. Evocative, enticing, interesting.

The drink might have added a dash of something, perhaps.

But the song needed nothing. It filled every part of the glass perfectly.

Nicely done.
Posted By: olemon Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/11/20 11:29 AM
I pressed Play and thought, 'Hey, man, what's going on with that cool guitar?'

Then I bounced back to your post, 'Oh, that's what's going on with that cool guitar!'

And then I scrolled and read,

"It's all BIAB and whatever talent I have regarding that great program."

Alan, your talent - and skill - is obvious and I enjoyed the feel-good listen:)

Take care.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/11/20 01:27 PM
Alan,
That guitar delay effect really spirals around between my ears; its all smooth and very well produced.

Robert
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/12/20 04:43 AM
Alan,

The punky rhythm is so nice.
The guitar delay effect really fits this tune.
The chord progression is wonderful as usual.

By the way, does this pink lemonade contain alcohol?
For me, I definitely want to mix gin to it and drink it by the poolside during the summer daytime.
Of course, at that time, while playing this tune.

Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: rayc Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/12/20 05:36 AM
I think you did a good job getting a strat thing. the delays sit REALLY well.
Good work across the entire piece.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/12/20 01:59 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Alan, nothing wrong with this one, even including the title. Evocative, enticing, interesting.

The drink might have added a dash of something, perhaps.

But the song needed nothing. It filled every part of the glass perfectly.

Nicely done.

Hi VT ...

Thanks so much! I'm glad it fills the glass appropriately. And a little extra "spice" in the drink can sometimes be the perfect call. Hope this one has enough of that "spice"! Again, thank you.

Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/12/20 02:02 PM
Originally Posted By: olemon
I pressed Play and thought, 'Hey, man, what's going on with that cool guitar?'

Then I bounced back to your post, 'Oh, that's what's going on with that cool guitar!'

And then I scrolled and read,

"It's all BIAB and whatever talent I have regarding that great program."

Alan, your talent - and skill - is obvious and I enjoyed the feel-good listen:)

Take care.

Hi Scott ...

I'm delighted you enjoyed your listen. The ideas for most of my instrumentals just come from who knows where and I usually follow the muse's lead ... wherever she takes me. Sometimes she lead me to some interesting place!

Many thanks for the listen and the very nice comments. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/12/20 02:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Alan,
That guitar delay effect really spirals around between my ears; its all smooth and very well produced.

Robert

Good afternoon, Robert ...

I loved enjoyed the first half of your comment. The guitar spiraling around in your ears is exactly what where I was once I got the first several measures finished.

I'm very happy you enjoyed it ... thanks for letting me know! best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/12/20 02:08 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Alan,

The punky rhythm is so nice.
The guitar delay effect really fits this tune.
The chord progression is wonderful as usual.

By the way, does this pink lemonade contain alcohol?
For me, I definitely want to mix gin to it and drink it by the poolside during the summer daytime.
Of course, at that time, while playing this tune.

Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki ...

I truly appreciate your very nice comments! I'm sure I can find something to spice up the pink lemonade! Sitting by the pool, cool drink in hand, and listening to some music sounds liker a good way to spend some time!

Thank you so much. Take care and please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/12/20 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
I think you did a good job getting a strat thing. the delays sit REALLY well.
Good work across the entire piece.

Hello Ray ...

Thanks for the props. You have an excellent ear for music production and its delivery. I always give your thoughts, observations and opinions significant credibility. I'm more than happy this one works for you. Thanks for the feedback!

Best to you. be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/13/20 02:29 AM
Alan - I really dug that laid back jazzy pop arrangement. You've got a great groove going with the backing track and that guitar just glides right in there like a nine ball dropping into the corner pocket - swish. Smooth, smart, snazzy.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/13/20 12:47 PM
As fj said: "My rubber stamp comment: YOU ARE SO GOOD AT THIS!!"

A lot of effort doesn't always but in this case it assuredly resulted in a LOT of goodness.

It all sounds great on our monitors. Nice open soundstage.

Excellent and thanks for the reminder we got of lemonade stands smile

J&B

BTW, that RT has a Direct Input option which you likely know means you can start with a dry trck and put your own amp sim, other effects, etc., on it. FWIW
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/14/20 06:16 PM
Like lemonade.......juicy and sweet!! Really nice groove song!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/15/20 08:20 PM
The title ain't crappy. The title drew me in.

Cool. Smooth. Relaxing.

I think someone might have spiked the lemonade though. grin
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/15/20 11:52 PM
Wow, that guitar sounds real (well, more real than our other real band sounds). Good arrangement. You have master over the band which is no small task.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/16/20 06:27 AM
Dear Alan,

no doubt that your songs belonged to the music I missed most during my absence here.

This one is a treat - you always hit my taste right in the heart. Love that chord progression and the funkiness of the whole thing.

Hope that Di and you are in good health.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/20/20 04:26 AM
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
Alan - I really dug that laid back jazzy pop arrangement. You've got a great groove going with the backing track and that guitar just glides right in there like a nine ball dropping into the corner pocket - swish. Smooth, smart, snazzy.

Hi Ed ..

Thank you very much! You are very kind with your words ... I appreciate all that. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for letting me know!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/20/20 04:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
As fj said: "My rubber stamp comment: YOU ARE SO GOOD AT THIS!!"

A lot of effort doesn't always but in this case it assuredly resulted in a LOT of goodness.

It all sounds great on our monitors. Nice open soundstage.

Excellent and thanks for the reminder we got of lemonade stands smile

J&B

BTW, that RT has a Direct Input option which you likely know means you can start with a dry trck and put your own amp sim, other effects, etc., on it. FWIW

Hey You two ...

Thanks for the visit and listen. Your words about my music always lift me up and put a big smile on my face. Thanks for that!

Yes, I'm aware of the direct input, but thanks for the reminder. But I have no third party resources ... if I can't do it in BIAB and Audacity, it doesn't happen. But, I've learned to get some pretty good results on occasion with those limited resources. At least, I think so.

Ya'll take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/20/20 04:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Like lemonade.......juicy and sweet!! Really nice groove song!! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg ...

Thanks so much. And yeah, I like lemonade ... make my own every summer. I'm more than delighted you liked the song. Appreciate you telling me.

Best to you & yours. Hope retirement is treating you good! I've been retired for 13 years ... no complaints!

Wishing you & yours the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/20/20 04:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
The title ain't crappy. The title drew me in.

Cool. Smooth. Relaxing.

I think someone might have spiked the lemonade though. grin

Hi Ez ...

I hate naming my instrumentals ... I never can think of anything that sounds decent. Glad this one struck bell for you! Well, i did add a little "extra flavor" to the lemonade!

Best to you. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/20/20 04:36 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Wow, that guitar sounds real (well, more real than our other real band sounds). Good arrangement. You have master over the band which is no small task.

Hi jpt x 3 ...

Thank you for those very nice words! But I doubt I;ve "mastered" more than 10% of the programs possibilities. But i sure do appreciate your kindness!

Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/20/20 04:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Dear Alan,

no doubt that your songs belonged to the music I missed most during my absence here.

This one is a treat - you always hit my taste right in the heart. Love that chord progression and the funkiness of the whole thing.

Hope that Di and you are in good health.

All the best,

Stefan

Hi Stefan ...

Will be sending you a PM in the next day or two. I've not had time to write a proper note yet. But I will real soon. Di and I are just heart-broken to hear about Maha. We'll keep her in our prayers ... as well as you for your visual issues. As we've discussed in the past, that's my professional background and I have a good understanding of what's going on with your vision.

Thank you for your very nice comments about the song. I kinda like this one, too. I'm glad it hit you in the heart of your musical taste. That's a very nice compliment ... thank you!

As I said, I'll send you a proper message in the next day or two and tell you more about what's going on with us. Take care. Give Maha a big hug for Di and me. Be safe, my dear friend.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Pink Lemonade - 10/20/20 05:21 AM
Nice tones; great arrangement; very engaging. Effective blend of echo-delay-reverb. Well worth the effort you put in.
© PG Music Forums