PG Music Home
Posted By: Robertkc Pure - 10/10/20 01:01 PM
A love song.

Pure

RealTracks in song: 2937:Bass, Fretless Electric Pop8thsRene Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 3059:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Muted16thsFintan Ev16 080
RealTracks in song: 3554:Multi[Thickened=5] String Quartet, Rhythm PopHall Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 3057:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking SongwriterFolkAltBassQuinn Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 2195:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm CoolJazzPopHeld Ev 085
RealDrums [in Song:CongasEv16[single]: a: Congas b: CongasEv16[single]

Helicon harmonies

Pure

naturally like the hexagon for the bee
building love strong`s second nature to thee
sweet honey comes with democracy
your love will never all belong to me

so much to add when I seem blue you don`t take it bad
blue mountains seem serious and sad
to the cloud high and wild and glad
I`m looking up to be sure
found something pure

talk of flaws can`t darken my day
seen too much of this world to say
there`s no sand in a pearl
pure that`s my girl

your creed`s like the dandelion seed
no denying your smiles spread like weeds
on this wasteland you saw the need
I`m looking up to be sure
found something pure

talk of flaws won`t darken my day
I`ve seen too much of this world to say
there`s no sand in a pearl
pure that`s my girl

bards and the boss say it sublime
love conquers distance and time
let`s give this dance another whirl
pure that`s my girl
pure that`s my girl

© Robert Cordrey Aug. 2020
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Pure - 10/10/20 04:23 PM
I like this song.
Nice lyrics.

If you're interested in and opportunities for improvement:
I'd say the Helicon harmonies is a little heavy handed.
You've got a nice voice, the harmony is detracting form its natural purity.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Pure - 10/10/20 05:29 PM
Your textures -- both music side and lyric side -- are always so interesting! You take far different paths than I would normally choose, and I find that really intriguing, and pleasurable as well.

Loved "no sand in a pearl"..but all your analogies are great.

Overall, very glad I listened because I both enjoyed it and learned as well.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Pure - 10/11/20 01:38 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
I like this song.
Nice lyrics.

If you're interested in and opportunities for improvement:
I'd say the Helicon harmonies is a little heavy handed.
You've got a nice voice, the harmony is detracting form its natural purity.

I`m always open to improvement suggestions,Captain!
My intro might have included; this song is for my wife on our anniversary. She listens mostly to Thai pop music where vocals are usually processed for a very smooth ( some would say, artificial, sound). The automated harmony I used gives my gift a little of that sheen to my hearing- I understand others prefer a more natural vocal.

Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Your textures -- both music side and lyric side -- are always so interesting! You take far different paths than I would normally choose, and I find that really intriguing, and pleasurable as well.

Loved "no sand in a pearl"..but all your analogies are great.

Overall, very glad I listened because I both enjoyed it and learned as well.

That`s very kind - I`m happy to have surprised as well as entertained.

Robert
Posted By: musician17 Re: Pure - 10/11/20 02:45 PM
STUNNING.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Pure - 10/12/20 09:49 AM
Very nice Robert! Your wife is very pretty, I assume that is her in the songpic?

You have used those Congas before, very effective, fretless bass sounds great too.

And your lyrics are always special, you are a true wordsmith. Loved the chorus especially.

Enjoyed!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Pure - 10/12/20 11:20 AM
Robert,

A beautiful, positive love song.

Good BAND choices. Well mixed.

Good vocals.
Good use of the generated harmonies. They ARE a hallmark of current Pop music (the world over).

Enjoyed the listen.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: Pure - 10/12/20 02:38 PM
This is the style that drew me to your music. Awesome acoustic and awesome vocal. Very cool lyric. Well done Robert
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Pure - 10/12/20 03:38 PM
Robert,

I liked this song quite a bit. The lyrics are excellent and very powerful. I have a positive and critical comment on the vocals and the melody. Your vocals are very good. I agree with the comment by @CaptainMoto about the Helicon. What I'm experiencing is that at times the vocals/lyrics/phrasing are really strong and remind me of some really great folk songs by the likes of Crosby, Stills and Nash, but then sometimes it drifts a bit. Of course that may be your intention and your style, which is fine. That's the only critical feedback.

Overall it's a very enjoyable song and really easy to listen to, and quite engaging. That's a lovely and really well done photo on the song page.
Posted By: rayc Re: Pure - 10/13/20 05:24 AM
A slightly odd/sudden intro after the quite moments that has a very Neil young feel to it.
The generated harmonies...sound find though I'd smooth them even more with reverb.
No sand in a pearl struck me as odd given pearls develop around grit/sand or other irritants.

Lovely sound to the whole thing..a good package.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Pure - 10/13/20 12:23 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
STUNNING.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very nice Robert! Your wife is very pretty, I assume that is her in the songpic?

You have used those Congas before, very effective, fretless bass sounds great too.

And your lyrics are always special, you are a true wordsmith. Loved the chorus especially.

Enjoyed!

I appreciate that Dave;I chose the pic of my wife as that location has special memories.
I really like that fretless bass track too.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

A beautiful, positive love song.

Good BAND choices. Well mixed.

Good vocals.
Good use of the generated harmonies. They ARE a hallmark of current Pop music (the world over).

Enjoyed the listen.

fj

Floyd,
Thanks for those positive comments: and for giving me the Helicon harmony example you used so well recently!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is the style that drew me to your music. Awesome acoustic and awesome vocal. Very cool lyric. Well done Robert

Thank you, Scott!

Originally Posted By: EdZ314
Robert,

I liked this song quite a bit. The lyrics are excellent and very powerful. I have a positive and critical comment on the vocals and the melody. Your vocals are very good. I agree with the comment by @CaptainMoto about the Helicon. What I'm experiencing is that at times the vocals/lyrics/phrasing are really strong and remind me of some really great folk songs by the likes of Crosby, Stills and Nash, but then sometimes it drifts a bit. Of course that may be your intention and your style, which is fine. That's the only critical feedback.

Overall it's a very enjoyable song and really easy to listen to, and quite engaging. That's a lovely and really well done photo on the song page.

Ed,
Any drifts in my phrasing are,let`s say, my style!
As said above I am trying for a less folky CSN&Y, more pop flavoured sound on the harmony here... in most of my songs I do record several part harmonies myself.

Originally Posted By: rayc
A slightly odd/sudden intro after the quite moments that has a very Neil young feel to it.
The generated harmonies...sound find though I'd smooth them even more with reverb.
No sand in a pearl struck me as odd given pearls develop around grit/sand or other irritants.

Lovely sound to the whole thing..a good package.

Ray,

I worked to smooth out the Helicon harmony ( vocal rider, eq, and spread with Ozone Imager; I see I took out a reverb and will have another listen to why).
If you take that chorus line as a whole:

"I`ve seen too much of this world to say
there`s no sand in a pearl"

I hear that as acknowledging the pearl grows around something that hurts.
No doubt I`ll be explaining this to my wife!

Robert
Posted By: rayc Re: Pure - 10/13/20 05:17 PM
Yes Robert,
More fool me for listening and not reading...it works well.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Pure - 10/14/20 03:56 PM
"naturally like the hexagon for the bee"

We had a suspicion we'd be in for a treat after that first line!

You can't go wrong with a love song in Janice's opinion and this
one had her smiling from beginning to end.

We always comment to one another about your vivid nature imagery
and no disappointments here.

Your mellow soulful vocal carried the story very well.

We enjoyed our listens and trust your lovely bride does also.

Happy anniversary!

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Pure - 10/14/20 06:43 PM
Really pretty song Robert!! Always room for another good love song, and this is certainly that!! You always avoid cliches......always fresh and creative!! Like the Latin percussion and fretless for this tune! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Pure - 10/14/20 10:02 PM
There's some really powerful imagery here, and I think you did an awesome job with what you were trying to achieve. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pure - 10/15/20 06:12 AM
Hi Robert ...

I'm never sure what to expect when I click onto one of your songs. But one thing I'm always sure of ... it's going to be a great listen. And I was correct again.

Your references to nature, one way or another, in so many of your lyrics gives your words a certain "lushness" that I'm not sure how to explain beyond that.

Also, you employ some of the most original sounds in your choice of backing tracks. That was a really nice listen!

Also, there's a Thai band I've been listening to fairly often the past few years on YouTube: "Phrima's Band". The perform primarily in a Bangkok lounge called "The Saxophone Club".

Your wife is very pretty!

Wishing you the best. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Pure - 10/15/20 01:13 PM
Your lyrics are nicely poetic. Love it! I like the different feel and mood of your songs always.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Pure - 10/15/20 11:42 PM
I love the lyrics. Some unexpected images. The music is wonderful. Good use of the band.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Pure - 10/15/20 11:50 PM
Robert,

A lovely poetic love song, delivered in your unmistakable style.

Enjoyed the overall sound and feel, and the relaxing melody.

A very nice anniversary present.

Peter
Posted By: Bawb Re: Pure - 10/16/20 12:51 PM
Hi Robertkc,
It really makes me wonder about your background...
It's like you studied under some kind of cowboy sage or something...

You write some seriously deep lyrics. They are subtle, poetic and what I would refer to as "time-released verses". What I mean by this is that it may be a while later, but I realize why you used certain terms and how they just paint the picture so well.

Thanks for posting
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Pure - 10/16/20 10:47 PM
J&BThose are very kind comments; thank you for that and your good wishes.

Greg I work hard at avoiding the cliches,especially in a love song...though my sweetie would probably prefer more!
Thanks for your listen.

Ember Thank you!

Alan I appreciate your likes on this; now that the Spirit Level rock songs are on a different site my solo songs are a little less eclectic, at least I think so!
That Thai jazz rock band are good- I mostly listen to Luk Thung Thai ( country) and,of course, the pop my wife loves.

Belladonna Thank you!
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Pure - 10/17/20 12:21 AM
Hi Robert
A lovely gift and a lovely song. Personally, I like the harmonies and the fretless bass and congas work really well.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Pure - 10/17/20 07:20 AM
Hi Robert,

This is a really pretty folk/singer-songwriter styled love song and it appealed to me greatly. This is the style of music that I find it easiest to empathise with. In other words, from bar one, I was committed!

Your singing is confident and it's a perfect fit with the style. In addition, the band is very well chosen. I love how you've arranged and mixed the everything. It's sitting nice and comfortably in my headphones. As always, your lyrics are a journey in images and vividly lead me along. Your clever skill with words is a signature.

I enjoyed where you took me on this journey.
Noel
Posted By: japokeapeg Re: Pure - 10/17/20 07:39 AM
Nice track, good voice, nice arrangement
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Pure - 10/19/20 01:43 PM
jptjptjpt Thanks for those positive comments.

PeterF I appreciate your listen.

Bawb
"Hi Robertkc,
It really makes me wonder about your background...
It's like you studied under some kind of cowboy sage or something..."

That`s a good one; I`ve been philosophising since childhood, only musically in my dotage. My online moniker 2BitMystic about sums up how seriously to take my musings!

Leon1 Thank you- especially for the thumbs up on the harmonies.

Noel96 Those are very generous comments; thank you.

japokeapeg Thanks for listening.

Robert
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Pure - 10/19/20 09:06 PM
Robert,
Amazing poetry, unusual and very tasteful direction for a love song! Enjoyed reading while listening. Beautiful composition, flows very well and that super bass glues everything together very well. Vocals are strong, but I feel that Helicon plugin was a bit too much in places. It seems to be a very cool and powerful plugin which I am yet to explore, but for this particular tune I would prefer more pure vocals smile Enjoyed my listen! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Pure - 10/20/20 10:13 PM
Robert,

Really like the sound and feel of this tune—that Muted16thsFintan Real Track is one of my favorites, always gives a great rhythm to a tune. Another very poetic write, but one that’s really grounded by that ending couplet “I’m looking up to be sure / found something pure”, further accentuated by the close. Very cool stuff. Like this one a lot.

Best regards,

Deej
© PG Music Forums