PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/10/20 07:01 PM
Hi all,

Recently as I was listening to songs in the forum, I was inspired to post something. It’s been a while since my last effort. Anyway… here’s that “something”. I hope you enjoy it.

The lyrics are on Soundcloud.

Please feel free to comment on any aspect of the song or its presentation.

Regards,
Noel

Music Notes

Base Style (later modified): _TRAVELS.STY

The Musicians
3122: Bass, Acoustic
3399: Guitar, Acoustic (doubled; fully panned: one left, one right)
3372: Banjo
3424: Jaw Harp

Piano
MIDI SuperTracks: 2105:Piano, Rhythm
EZKeys: Studio Grand, Mellow Chorus

Orchestral Strings
Miroslav Philharmonik 2

Drums
RealDrums: Tambourine EV16
EZDrummer 2: Modern, Tape Filter (Songwriter Pack 4)

Processing plugins (other than Reaper's)
Vocals: iZotope Nectar 3
Mix: iZotope Ozone 9
Guitars: CLA Unplugged (Waves)
Bass: Renaissance Bass (RBass, Waves)
Other: MAutoPan (Melda Productions, free)
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/10/20 09:27 PM
Pretty good song!
As I listened , I was thinking of this:
That's a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUNZMiYo_4s
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/10/20 10:10 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Pretty good song!
As I listened , I was thinking of this:
That's a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUNZMiYo_4s

Hi CaptainMoto,

Thanks for having a listen. I sincerely appreciate it.

And thanks for posting the link to this Harry Chapin classic! I can hear a timbre in his clip that is a bit like an underlying timbre in my mix.

When I put my vocals together, I used Nectar_3's "Saturation" to add some "Tape" saturation. This seemed to make my voice sound warmer and a bit better, so I kept it. I'm pretty sure that that's the underlying component that I can hear.

Once again, thanks!
Noel
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/11/20 10:26 AM
You always put absolutely everything into your productions.

This, of course is not exception.

What a inventive selection for your orchestra. Clever.

Musically just so creative. Jackson, the one that the children look up to. Somehow I can think of who Jackson really is.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/11/20 11:34 AM
Really liked this..vocal nice and clear...and the lyric--I wish I knew the backstory on this!
Excellent production and enjoyable listen.
Noel..did you consider adding some actual jaw-harp phrases? I once had that thought but gave up on either trying to record it myself or finding a vst sample that was decent.

Thanks for posting!
Posted By: musician17 Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/11/20 11:48 AM
This is not "just" superb, but, to my ears at least, genius. The melody and lyrics effortlessly tell the story - it's captivating, almost hypnotic! I loved it. Bravo.
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/11/20 04:45 PM
Noel - This is a very polished production, no surprise there. Everything really works and fits well and is balanced, and nicely spaced and separated. I hope you don't mind, but I feel like this song would be perfect in a children's movie with Jackson traveling through a countryside, on long roads, riding a horse or in a wagon trying to find a place where he and his jaw harp belong. It just evokes that kind of vision.
Posted By: PeterF Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/11/20 07:07 PM
Noel

Lovely uplifting song. Inventive use of jaws harp and a very memorable singable chorus (almost theatrical).

Hope you are doing well down there in Victoria.

Excellent work on a wonderful production.

Peter
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/12/20 01:38 AM
Superb cut. I love that chorus. Very touching song. Great vocals. The jaw harp is the perfect touch.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/12/20 02:22 AM
Jackson doesn't sound like he's contributing much to the national GDP. I like him. And I like your song about him. Visual and appealing. The strings were especially effective for me, though it's always your vocals and their "smile" that gets me.

Yes, it's been a while, but you've brought a gem with you. Big smiles here.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/12/20 02:39 AM
Noel,

Noel Melody is alive vividly in this tune.
This melody is exactly you.
Lovely and uplifting.
Great Vocals.
The narrative part is also wonderful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: rayc Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/12/20 05:42 AM
The Title made me think it's was a Johnny Cash medley/cover.
I REALLY enjoyed the spoken interlude...I'd not heard your speaking voice before. Full n rich.
Great narrative and lush accompaniment.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/12/20 12:43 PM
Welcome back Noel. Your positivity has always been something to look forward to.

A stroll around a lovely countryside with Jackson would be refreshing indeed especially during these times.

For decades in our state there was a gentleman who roamed throughout small towns
and the country side in a wooden cart pulled by goats. Folks always looked forward
to his appearance and children were charmed. Very reminiscent.

That is a fine vocal, spoken word and a heckuva good lyric/melody to deliver them with.

The band is both simple and perhaps counterintuitively very nuanced. We are sure it took a lot of thought and effort to envision the tracks and mix. The mix is open, airy and sparkles -- the kind we much like.

And thanks for the production details!

We would assuredly like to meet Jackson. Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/12/20 01:57 PM
Very well done - nice and uplifting, and very lush, I agree with Janice/Bud about the airy production. It has an almost delicate quality to it, which I loved.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Al-David Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/12/20 02:21 PM
Hi Noel ...

It's so dang good to have you back posting. Anytime you're away for any period of time, there's a bit of a vacuum on the forum. And what a nice reentry song!

As someone previously mentioned, you songs are always so polished and every detail attended to. This might be your best vocal thus far. I doubt there's anything else that could make this a better song. But several re-listens make me feel better.

Jackson sounds like quite the character ... a man of gentle repose and a natural charm. this really a great song with a super lyric and equally talented band. That was a joy to listen to!

Wishing you the very best. Please take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/12/20 05:04 PM
Noel,

Good to see you posting in the Showcase again!

Maybe it's Noel, the wayward wind.

"He walks with a smile on his weathered face
And when you look in his eyes
In the gentle brown-eyed gaze
You see the patience of a man who’s wise"

I'm thinking this is autobiographical. Jackson, like the Noel we all know and love, has a great positive attitude about the world and what might lie ahead.

A nice production, a good mix. A clean, bright, cheerful vocal - commanding attention.

A story well-told.

fj
Posted By: Robertkc Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/13/20 11:44 AM
Welcome back Noel!
This has all the positivity we expect from your songwriting with a lovely uplifting melody that matches the storyline so well.
Fine vocals and a good string arrangement.
Jackson reminds me of a busker I met in my home town after being away many years; playing beautiful folky ballads to almost deserted streets on a wintry English Sunday.I still have his tape and count him one of my musical heroes.

Robert
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/14/20 01:02 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
You always put absolutely everything into your productions.

This, of course is not exception.

What a inventive selection for your orchestra. Clever.

Musically just so creative. Jackson, the one that the children look up to. Somehow I can think of who Jackson really is.

Hey Trev!

Thanks for dropping in. It's always good to see you.

When I set about trying to arrange this song, I wanted to use some of the more unusual Realtracks that I've never played with. I seriously tried incorporating both the Spoons Realdrums by Andrew Morris and well as the Jaw Harp by Quinn Bachand. Unfortunately, the Spoons and I could not come to an agreement. The Jaw Harp, though, that worked. It also made me smile every time I listened. So I kept it.

Thanks again for the visit.
Noel
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/14/20 06:36 PM
Really pretty song Noel!! And such a creative subject for a write.....so original!! Everything sounds great to me!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/14/20 08:35 PM
Was so happy to see your song pop up on the forum. Your song are so inspirational. Very nice to hear during these trouble tunes. Some cool effects in the background. Super vocal and lyric Well done
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/15/20 05:22 AM
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant! Been wondering what you were up to. For me, it reminds me a little bit of Tom Bombadil from the Lord of the Rings. Great work!
Posted By: Crossroads Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/16/20 10:05 AM
Hi Noel,

I'm glad I was back here in time to hear your song. Everything appeals very much to me: very nice lyrics, good musical structure and the way you sing (and soeak) fits everything perfectly.

Enjoyed the listen a lot.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/17/20 07:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Really liked this..vocal nice and clear...and the lyric--I wish I knew the backstory on this!
Excellent production and enjoyable listen.
Noel..did you consider adding some actual jaw-harp phrases? I once had that thought but gave up on either trying to record it myself or finding a vst sample that was decent.

Thanks for posting!

Hi Tano,

Thank you heaps for having a listen.

I was thinking of writing up a separate article for the Songwriting Forum about how this song came together. The journey was a little bit different from most of my work. I'll get on to the in a few days when work settles down for me.

With the jaw harp, I created a loop from the Realtrack and then pitch shifted that loop in Reaper. I found that this was the easier way for me to get a balanced sound. I could create a jaw harp melody using this method but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for taking time out and listening.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/18/20 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
This is not "just" superb, but, to my ears at least, genius. The melody and lyrics effortlessly tell the story - it's captivating, almost hypnotic! I loved it. Bravo.

Hi James,

It's great to see you again.

Thank you so much for passing through the thread. I sincerely appreciate it. I know that I can't possibly live up to the "genius" title. I'm way too ordinary for that -- but I confess that I loved reading the word. It was like that "sit up and open your eyes wide" moment that often comes when eating a chili pepper that's particularly spicy! Reading it gave me a zing. To be honest, I don't think I've ever once seen the word "genius" in any sentence about me.

Seriously, thank you for making my day!

All the best,
Noe
Posted By: Leon1 Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/19/20 01:52 AM
Very nice, Noel. Great storytelling and an engaging vocal, including the spoken section.
Words to live by:
'Friends to love, songs to sing, a sun that shines and a wonderful world to walk on'
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/19/20 09:36 PM
Noel,
Sorry I am late for the party.
Very BIG sound. Everything sounds great with all details well polished. Composition flows smoothly, nothing sticking out. Vocals are bright and clear, but I do feel you are a little tense when you sing. Would be interesting to hear a slow song with your vocals relaxed. Mix is pro level.

"He doesn’t dwell on things that tomorrow could bring
‘Cause each day’s a shiny new day"

I like that. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. Jaw harp players? Cool! I have a friend who improvises on j.harp very well. Unfortunately he lives far. One day I hope to lure him to record some takes for couple of my tunes smile
Posted By: Deej56 Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/20/20 10:13 PM
Noel,

Good to hear a new tune from you—it’s been too long. Love that vocal, so engaging! Your usual top notch production—really refreshing listen. And a wonderful character story/song—we could use a few more Jacksons these days! Great stuff—welcome back to the board!!!

All my best to you,

Deej
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/21/20 03:27 AM
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
Noel - This is a very polished production, no surprise there. Everything really works and fits well and is balanced, and nicely spaced and separated. I hope you don't mind, but I feel like this song would be perfect in a children's movie with Jackson traveling through a countryside, on long roads, riding a horse or in a wagon trying to find a place where he and his jaw harp belong. It just evokes that kind of vision.

Hi Ed,

Thanks heaps for visiting!

I love the images you mention. When I wrote this, I called on everything I knew about the concept of wandering minstrels... there were real-life experiences, and stories such as the Pied Piper of Hamylin, and Danny Kaye's musical movie, "Hans Christian Andersen". It was an interesting journey for me smile

It all began with this song from "Hans Christian Andersen" that I landed on one night while zig-zagging my way around Youtube. (It's pretty amazing what can be found on Youtube!)

Thanks for taking the time,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/21/20 09:25 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Noel

Lovely uplifting song. Inventive use of jaws harp and a very memorable singable chorus (almost theatrical).

Hope you are doing well down there in Victoria.

Excellent work on a wonderful production.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for visiting. It's always great to see you!

Yep... things are good in Victoria. It turns out that we're one of the few places in the world to get on top of a second wave of covid so quickly! As I see it, Dan Andrews and Brett Sutton have done an awesome job. Soon we'll be nearly back to normal.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: musiclover Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/22/20 01:56 PM
Great song Noel delivered with an excellent vocal and lush arrangement.

I was just thinking as I was listening that maybe the song is based on a real person you know, or have met on your travels, such is the detail you have included in your excellent lyrics.

I have always admired the way you are able to take a song apart and analyse the lyrics and other aspects of the song.

Another positive uplifting song from you.

Posted By: Bawb Re: ♫ Jackson, The Wayward Wind - 10/22/20 02:32 PM
Hi Noel96,

What a pleasant and quaint song you have posted! One can't help but smile listening to it. The instruments are played very well and the vocals match up very nicely. It sounds like a song from a totally different era. A brief injection of simplicity into our complicated, stressful lives of the modern world.

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the listen.
© PG Music Forums