PG Music Home
Posted By: edshaw It Won't Be Long - 10/17/20 06:02 PM
Original country gospel.
These are the words to the backing track recently posted.
Thanks for the suggestions and the listens.

It Won't Be Long
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/20/20 11:38 AM
That worked out well Ed.

Enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: Scott C Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/20/20 01:15 PM
Nice job Ed. Super vocal and loved the effects on your vocal. Very nice indeed
Posted By: Al-David Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/20/20 06:38 PM
Hi Ed ...

I like the lyrics and I enjoyed the fx on your vocal. I think you could probably drop the vocal back just a little bit. But, it sounds real nice as is. Wishing you the very best. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: edshaw Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/20/20 06:58 PM
Thanks Alan. You do the same, OK?
I posted the backing track as Country Gospel (no words) and "Won't be long with words and a remix of the backing track to try and emphasize piano solo.
Basically, (1) make the back track and record it directly to the tape deck.
(2) Add the vocal (3) add the guitar solo. Seems simple, yes? But when you compare, I was not able to capture the feel of the original back track. So, I keep at it. Thx.
Posted By: edshaw Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/20/20 06:58 PM
Thx, Scott.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/20/20 08:43 PM
Halleluiah!
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/20/20 09:20 PM
Now that's my kind of Gospel Music. I love the piano solo, and the overall country vibe to it!!
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/20/20 09:56 PM
The vocals were really nice! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/20/20 10:24 PM
Ed,

This is really very nicely done. As others noted, the fx on the vocal work very well. The vocal, to me, has a Neil Young feel to it, which is kind of cool for a gospel song. I would have liked the backing music—the piano in particular—to come forward a bit in the instrumental section, but beyond that the mix sounds good. Fine work!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/21/20 02:29 PM
Ed,
Nice work. Good vocals. Your production skills improved significantly. As mentioned above, I also think vocals can be lowered and instrumentals upped a bit. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Bawb Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/21/20 02:40 PM
Hi EdShaw,

I heard a twinge of Roy Clark several times in your voice.
You've done a really fine job on this, both with the music and the vocals. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that I was actually listening to an old Hee-Haw episode. You've made me wax nostalgic with this tune. Thanks for posting it, I enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: edshaw Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/21/20 08:57 PM
Thanks, folks, for listening and commenting. It means a lot.
I do appreciate the constructive critiques. Little by little, trial and error, I've weeded out steps that turned out to be not needed, and have it down now to a minimum. That is until I go off the rails and chase another rabbit.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/21/20 11:38 PM
Nicely done. The vocals sound a bit like Neil Young. Great lyrics. I love real old time gospel like this.
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/23/20 03:12 PM
This is a lovely song. Listening for the 2nd time now. The instruments are so well done, that the strong harmonies still cut through any production limitations. The vocals really hit home - there's a quality in your voice that just sounds timeless. When you put it all together it really makes impression and stays with you.

Very nicely done!
Posted By: Ardent Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/23/20 04:46 PM
Like a gospel dream. I could easily imagine myself sitting in a pew in a small church filled with a devoted congregation, singing the lyrics by heart along with them and experiencing a sense of reassurance that what we're all singing about will come to pass, and soon.
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/23/20 08:57 PM
Great vocal Ed. It reminded me of a smoother, more polished Neil Young.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: PeterF Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/23/20 09:00 PM
Ed,

Nice production and a heartfelt engaging vocal.

A very nice gospel tune.

Peter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/25/20 06:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Nice job Ed. Super vocal and loved the effects on your vocal. Very nice indeed

YES! That is your best vocal.....hear a little Neal Young in there! Nice song!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: edshaw Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/28/20 02:57 PM
Thank you for those comments. Makes me feel like I am getting somewhere, albeit baby-step-at-a-time. Worked a lot this summer on position seven, if you will, frets 17-21. I did trim down the production process to one I think I may be able to handle. On the drawing board, a couple of more originals and (carefully) a study of what's called Traditional Apostolic church music. That is kind of a fusion of Appalachian Pentacostal and African American gospel. It is not so easy to pin down, but it figures in the roots of Rock 'n Roll. If I am successful in extracting the real thing, it will have been worth it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/28/20 04:54 PM
Country gospel as it should be played! Great song and a very good vocal.

Loved it.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: It Won't Be Long - 10/29/20 11:13 AM
Man, this was really good. Sounded like early country radio stuff, Carter Family era. Great work.
© PG Music Forums