PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David A Definite Maybe - 10/20/20 08:02 PM
A Definite Maybe

A Smooth Jazz guitar instrumental I threw together a few days ago as Di was napping. A fairly simple arrangement with just the necessary, basic tracks. I kept it pretty simple. I tried to EQ the lead guitar track to get a Mark Knopfler sound, according to my old ears ... not necessarily a Dire Straits overall sound ... just MK on the lead. I got it as close as I could.

This is another pretty quick project ... maybe 6 hours total, so it probably has a few warts that need to be exposed and remedied.

There are some artifacts in the lead guitar track, particularly at 0:19 and 2:18. They appear to be indigenous to the track as every time I rerecorded it, they were still there. Not much I can do about that, I guess.

Thanks in advance for your listen and any comments/suggestions you might care to leave for me.

Hoping everyone stays safe and well. Take care.

Alan

File:A Definite Maybe.SGU

Key=C, Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=3:28

Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,

Style is _RIESLNG.STY (Riesling Med Jazz Pop Gtr Solo)

RealTracks in style: 3122:Bass, Acoustic, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1772:Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkMovin Ev16 130
RealTracks in style: ~509:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Dire Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 3200:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RnBPopBrent Ev 110
Loop in Song: Drums\SmoothJazzPoppy^1-XStHiHt,SnRide
RealDrums [in style:BossaLewis^03-a:Brushes HiHat , b:SideStick Ride
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/20/20 08:40 PM
Cool!
Damn good on the Knopfler sound.

Good nap music wink
Posted By: Deej56 Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/20/20 10:25 PM
Alan,

Very smooth production and nice work getting the Knopfler vibe going. Definitely has his touch. Well done!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/21/20 11:32 AM
Alan,

ANOTHER great instrumental. Has all the elements that it needs. An excellent listen.

A good Knopfler sound without sounding TOO much like him. A good balance, I think. The "Dire lead" RT that comes with BIAB always sounds TOO much like Mark (I think) - which makes it hard to use - it is SUCH a unique identifiable sound (tone and style).

Terrific.

fj
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/21/20 11:29 PM
Sounds good. Nice arrangement.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 05:28 AM
Dear Alan,

well, if that is wahat's gonna happen when Di takes a nap, I can only wish her many many hours of the most sweet dreams. So cool, so great to listen to ...

No matter what you're coming up with: Your songs are aöways 'round' - everything in place, everything combined so tastefully.

Loved the tone of the guitar - think that was the right choice.

Had to smile when I read 'RIESLING.STY - you know that Gross-Umstadt, the small town we're living in, calls itself 'The Wine Island' and Riesling is one of the , if not THE, major sort of white wine.

Well, let me take the chance and raise a glass of it to another great composition of yours: Prost! (Well, I'll actually have to postpone it, because it
s still about 10 a.m. and the 'lushes' sun' hasn't yet risen...)

All the best, special regards to the 'Sleeping Beauty' and please stay cautious and healthy,

Stefan
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 05:40 AM
Nice easy-listening track. Impressive lead guitar - very smooth with exceptional riffs and articulation.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 07:43 AM
Sounds great, Alan, love the guitar.

You are the king of cool instrumentals on this site in my opinion, they are always very well done.

Very much enjoyed.
Posted By: rayc Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 07:49 AM
Smooth and a lovely progression - well done.
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 08:35 AM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Cool!
Damn good on the Knopfler sound.

Good nap music wink

Aye, Cap'n!

Thank ya much. Okay, I'll let you continue to snooze! Thanks again. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 08:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Alan,

Very smooth production and nice work getting the Knopfler vibe going. Definitely has his touch. Well done!

All my best,

Deej

Hey Deej ...

I do appreciate all those nice words! I'm glad you enjoyed it ... thanks for letting me know. Best to you and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 08:41 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

ANOTHER great instrumental. Has all the elements that it needs. An excellent listen.

A good Knopfler sound without sounding TOO much like him. A good balance, I think. The "Dire lead" RT that comes with BIAB always sounds TOO much like Mark (I think) - which makes it hard to use - it is SUCH a unique identifiable sound (tone and style).

Terrific.

fj

Hello Floyd ...

I'm pleased this sits nicely in your ears. And thank you for the accolades. And yes, I wasn't trying to emulate Mark ... just wanted an inflexion of his technique and touch. I've always enjoyed the tone of his guitar but didn't want to go all the way there (kept a little more higher EQ than he typically does).

Again, many thanks! be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 08:42 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Sounds good. Nice arrangement.

Thank you very much ... glad you enjoyed it. Best to you and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 08:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Dear Alan,

well, if that is wahat's gonna happen when Di takes a nap, I can only wish her many many hours of the most sweet dreams. So cool, so great to listen to ...

No matter what you're coming up with: Your songs are aöways 'round' - everything in place, everything combined so tastefully.

Loved the tone of the guitar - think that was the right choice.

Had to smile when I read 'RIESLING.STY - you know that Gross-Umstadt, the small town we're living in, calls itself 'The Wine Island' and Riesling is one of the , if not THE, major sort of white wine.

Well, let me take the chance and raise a glass of it to another great composition of yours: Prost! (Well, I'll actually have to postpone it, because it
s still about 10 a.m. and the 'lushes' sun' hasn't yet risen...)

All the best, special regards to the 'Sleeping Beauty' and please stay cautious and healthy,

Stefan

Guten Tag, mein Fruend

Vielen Dank für die sehr netten Komplimente. Ich werde demütigt!

You are always so kind with your reviews of my music. I'm never sure how to reply! Please know that I appreciate all your kindness.

Perhaps I should give more sleeping pills? Ha! And yes, I am aware of the Reisling wine production in your area. I've was in your hometown back in the 1980s ... can't remember the exact date. But I do remember I had an appointment in Darmstadt.

I hope your visual issues are stabilizing and that Maha recovers. Di and i think of you and Maha almost every day.

Many sincere thanks for your kind review! Also, I loved your latest post ... the video is hilarious!

Please be safe ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 08:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Nice easy-listening track. Impressive lead guitar - very smooth with exceptional riffs and articulation.

Hi Brian ...

Thank you very much. Your words are encouraging and put a smiler on my face! Please be safe. Wishing you the very best ...

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 08:52 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Sounds great, Alan, love the guitar.

You are the king of cool instrumentals on this site in my opinion, they are always very well done.

Very much enjoyed.

You are much too kind, my friend! but I sincerely appreciate your very nice words. I'm delighted you enjoyed it and appreciate you letting me know that. I have a dozen or so waiting in the wings!

Please be sage and take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 08:54 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Smooth and a lovely progression - well done.

HI Ray ...

Thanks so much! This one just kind of found its own way and I followed. The only real "work" I put into it was getting the desired tone on the lead guitar.

Wishing you the very best. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 01:06 PM
Nicely done as usual, am listening several times now, enjoying it with my lunch.

I think the problem with the MK lead RT is not that it makes everything sound like MK but it makes everything sound like Sultans of Swing. At least that's my experience with it. I'm still determined to find good use for it one of these fine days.

Thanks for this, Al!
Posted By: musiclover Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 01:35 PM
Great instrumental Alan, love the Guitar, all mixed perfectly together, radio ready as they say.

Really enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 04:13 PM
Well done Al!

You are a highly talented machine stamping out one after another great BiaB instrumentals with remarkable consistency.

The hinted Knopler vibe was very cool as we are big fans of his playing and tone.

Great soundstage on our monitors ... just kick back and listen with no parsing needed.

Excellent!

J&B
Posted By: dani48 Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 04:59 PM
Hi, Al & Di !

This is simply put absolutely
wonderful music Al ! I am truly
lost for words ! It is true
masterpiece --WOW !!!!

Take care and stay safe !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: vicarn Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/22/20 06:11 PM
Some smooth stuff here Al.

Vic
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/24/20 01:17 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Nicely done as usual, am listening several times now, enjoying it with my lunch.

I think the problem with the MK lead RT is not that it makes everything sound like MK but it makes everything sound like Sultans of Swing. At least that's my experience with it. I'm still determined to find good use for it one of these fine days.

Thanks for this, Al!

TM ...

Thanks a bunch. Glad you liked it. I agree with you about the MK RT does tend to mold the entire groove of the project in the Sultans of Swing direction because it is such a strong influence on that particular song. My thought, as I approached this, was to a Mark Knopfler sound, rather than a Dire Straits sound, on a Smooth Jazz project that the likes of George Benson or Ken Navarro might have done. It was just one of the spur of the moment things that crossed my mind for who knows what reason.

Again, thanks a lot. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/24/20 01:19 PM
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Great instrumental Alan, love the Guitar, all mixed perfectly together, radio ready as they say.

Really enjoyed the listen.

Hello MusicLover ...

Thank you very much for the listen and most kind words. I'm delighted you enjoyed it. Love the "radio ready" thought ... appreciate that! Wishing you well. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/24/20 01:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Well done Al!

You are a highly talented machine stamping out one after another great BiaB instrumentals with remarkable consistency.

The hinted Knopler vibe was very cool as we are big fans of his playing and tone.

Great soundstage on our monitors ... just kick back and listen with no parsing needed.

Excellent!

J&B

Hey Folks ...

Sure did put a smile on my face as I read your comments. I have a dozen or so of these waiting in the wings. I'll be posting a new one every four or five days. I generally don't like to post a new one when the current one is still on the front page.

I appreciate you folks very much. Always a delight to read your comments. Many thanks.

Take care and be safe ...

Alan

Posted By: Al-David Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/24/20 01:24 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Al & Di !

This is simply put absolutely
wonderful music Al ! I am truly
lost for words ! It is true
masterpiece --WOW !!!!

Take care and stay safe !

Cheers
Dani

Dani ...

Well, that's an absolutely wonderful review! Thank you. I'm more than happy when you make such nice comments about our music. Wishing you the very best. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/24/20 01:28 PM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Some smooth stuff here Al.

Vic

Hi Vic ...

Well, thank you very much. I appreciate those kind comments/ Always a plerasure to hear from you. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/24/20 04:36 PM
Hi Alan and sleeping beauty,

I was lucky to scroll through all the posts on your song, Alan. I wanted to say something about sleeping Di while you were creating a masterpiece before she woke up! Then I read Stefans'remarks. He started with that exact same sentence I had in mind!
I think we both got caught by the image Di taking a nap and in that same time you hurried on the sologuitar to get the solo done. When listening attentively I can hear you were in a hurry playing that solo.

I might have told you I am not very fond of instrumentals, except yours and recently also those of F.F.M and Tangmo (but yours first of course), and there is a reason for that; with your music on I can easely picturize myself somewhere in a lounge or whatever, behaving like a dandy and try to impress others... No not that, I just can see myself sipping my drink and enjoying your song. That's what happens when listening to your songs. And I like that!

But what I don't get is it only took you 6 hours to make this song, mixing it and mastering it too. I can be quick, but you beat me with this! And still it stays a very good song (while Di sleeps...). That's magic!
And what happened when she woke up? Was she anoyed you didn't make the food?

I enjoyed this song, Alan. Give Di my best regards,
Hans
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/25/20 01:04 PM
Alan,
you never fail. Love your arrangements! Very cool Bossa theme tune. To my ears, it is ace! I wish there would be more Bossa oriented RT/RD material available in BIAB smile Enjoyed my listen!
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Derochette Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/25/20 05:17 PM
Hello Al-David,

Very well done instrumental. I didn't see any unpleasant interferences. I am amazed at the time you devote to complete your project. (speed). It's pleasant. What more.

Kindly regard

Dero13,
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/25/20 07:43 PM
Nice smooth jazz instrumental Alan!! Well put together and mixed!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/26/20 06:18 AM
Very nice Al - very smooth, great guitar and a beautiful clean mix.
I particularly liked the change when you switched the drums to brushes. Tasty.
Another top-notch effort.
Best wishes to you and Di.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: musician17 Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/26/20 06:49 AM
I don't know Mark Knopfler's playing or anything (I'm really useless with these things - now ask me about classical music and I will feel a little more at home there, haha) ... BUT: once more, when the track started, I just felt compelled to put everything else I was doing down and just sit and listen ... without taking notes, without commenting, without that voice in our heads (well, mine at least) that keeps people like me busy with mental chatter, etc. ... just listen and soak in.

To my ears, the guitar was superb, as was the rest of the track. A musical journey which kept my attention throughout. Really enjoyed it - thanks so much for sharing. I know I'm late on commenting on this track (I've been away for a while), but I always jump, pleasantly surprised and excited, whenever I see a new track of yours on here. Please keep them coming if you can - it's a genuine joy to listen.
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: A Definite Maybe - 10/27/20 04:54 PM
Tasteful, nuanced, elegant, with enough riffs and accents to keep it interesting throughout. Listened a couple times through to fully appreciate it and soak it in - always a good sign.

Thanks Alan
© PG Music Forums