PG Music Home
Posted By: Deej56 "Just a Dream" Revisited--A Dave Rice Tribute - 10/23/20 03:36 AM
Hi, all:

"Just a Dream" was the second of my two collaborations with Dave Rice, which I first posted it on this site sometime late last year. Sadly, I learned today that Dave passed away last week (yeah, 2020 continues to suck). I know that some of the folks on the BIAB forum knew Dave, and what a true gentleman and class act he was. So enthusiastic about music, and so positive and supportive of his fellow musicians.

In truth, "Just a Dream" wasn't really a collaboration. It was a pure cover--I didn't change a word, I didn't change a note. Just changed up the genre from country. I'm thankful to know how much he enjoyed how this turned out. But mostly I'm thankful for having the opportunity to have known him, albeit only virtually. I hope you all don't mind my reposting this tune in his honor.

Rest In Peace, my friend.

Just a Dream (on SoundCloud)

Just a Dream (BIAB Comment Thread)

Deej
Hi Deej ...

I was just getting ready to shut down my computer when I saw this thread.

Man, so sorry to hear about Dave. Yes, indeed, he was a true gentleman and a class act in every way. Dave and I had had many conversations during the 20+ years I was active on that site ... still have an account, just not very active there.

It takes a lot to get me depressed, but this news of his passing sure threw me in that direction. He was so proud of his Texas roots and the town in which he lived just outside of Texarkana.

I'm glad you posted this again. Dave deserves it. And the song is terrific ... somewhat of a Roy Orbison vibe. Your BIAB skills have always been excellent and your vocals have really settled in the past six months or so. I'm lost for words beyond that.

RIP, Dave. You were a friend to many and a credit to the music community. Thanks, Deej ... it was so nice of you to post this. Wishing you the best. Be safe ...

Alan
This is sad news, indeed.

Dave was "one of the good one". One of the best, in fact. He always had a good word for everybody - no matter the circumstances or what had transpired to that point. He was the definition of "nice guy".

A loss that will be felt by all that knew him (virtual and real).

Sad.

fj

Good to hear this again. Great tribute. Excellence from you both.
Deej

A lovely production, excellent vocal and arrangement of what turns out to be a tribute to the author.

Liked the vocal treatment - the echoes and repeats were very effective.

Lovely.

Peter
Superb. A top, top, top notch production. RIP.
Excellent song, I remember this from last year.

I didn't know Dave but he sounds like a nice guy, sorry for your loss frown
Hello Deej,

A sad situation and indeed 2020 still sucks...
But you made an impressing song with this. I didn't know Dave, but I'm sure he would have glowed with pride hearing your makeover!
Your voice is oustanding, but particularly suited to sad songs. I could feel the pain and sorrow as if it was mine.

Hans
Hello Deej,

I did know Dave, but I do feel that he must have been someone special - I'm really sorry for all those who are missing him.

I think this beautiful number must be a very good tribute to him.

All the best,

Stefan
This is absolutely beautiful, so heartfelt. Love the way you did it. I did not know Dave but for someone to write those lovely words it comes from someone who's deeply intouch with their heart. Your vocals remind me a little of Bowie here. Really nice!
Dave was a real gentleman and a calming presence when things would get a bit out of hand
over at that other forum.

We had some memorable pm exchanges that I will not forget.

RIP Dave.

J&B
Beautiful song, well done.
Sorry to hear of Dave's passing.

Your collaboration will live forever.
Hello Deej56,

Beautiful harmony between the musical arrangement and the lyrics. The light and intimate atmosphere is well realized. Very pleasant composition.

Kindly regard

Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Did not know of Dave or hear this song before, but it is beautifully done, and a wonderful tribute!! Sorry to hear of the loss of a guy who it seems was a wonderful, kind person. Beautifully done!! Take care. Greg
Very nice tribute and so very well done. Beautiful vocal and backtrack
Hello Deej66,

Superb composition. Lyrics very gripping at the level of emotions. If he listens to you Dave must be proud of the friendship you have shown him. Your voice lends itself to this emotion that you want to share with us. The lead guitar is well done. I enjoyed it.

Kindly regard

DEro13
alias JaniJackFlash
Thanks to you all for stopping in and giving this another listen. Dave would have been so pleased to have read your kind comments, I know. I never met him in person, nor even chatted with him live—but it didn’t take much to know he was good people. It was an honor to have worked with him and I'll miss knowing he's out there.

Stay well, all. Stay healthy!

Best regards to you all,

Deej
Deej, you did a masterful job with this! I am unfamiliar with individual you are honoring in this piece but you have certainly done right by him with this! The vocal sounds super (again) along with the arrangement and production! Thanks, T
Torrey,

Thanks much for the listen and feedback. Really appreciated!

Deej
This is a great song and a great performance. It has that undefinable "truth" to it that only comes from true commitment to the song by the artists. I'm sorry to hear about Dave and your loss.
It is a lovely song. Very touching, even more so knowing that your friend died. My condolences to you and all those on this forum who knew him. You should be proud of this song and your collaboration with your friend. Outstanding work. Congratulations to both of you.
Edz and jpt3,

Thanks for giving this one a spin. I only did two collaborations with Dave, but they are both among my favorites. I wish I knew Dave better to be worthy of condolences--we never met and were "virtual friends"--but much appreciation for your kindness. He was a kind soul and will be missed.

My best to you both,

Deej
© PG Music Forums