PG Music Home
Posted By: Alexander Paul Alexander Paul - The Storm - 10/31/20 11:50 AM
My very first composition. A country tune about not letting go of the past. The electric guitar is played by a friend of mine. The rest of the instruments are from BiaB (Set 165 + RT 2046).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTAaiXM4U9Y
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 10/31/20 12:06 PM
First? Wow, great start, man. It would be so good to see the lyrics here; it makes it easy to quote all the cool lines, like that drop on the leaf that is hesitant of the leap. Wonderful lyrics throughout, cool changes, and a good mix. David Henriksson did a great job right from the intro. He really brings the song to a higher level, and Audrey McDonald delivers the perfect vocal. I'd like to hear more creativity from the drummer, but... Well done, Alexander.
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 10/31/20 12:16 PM
Thanks! I've written about 10-15 songs, but this is the first that I've completed. The lyrics are in the YouTube description, but I'll put them here as well.

Verse 1
I know the storm is over
but I still feel the rain
A distant thunder roaring
Blood pumping through my veins

My heart is beating faster
I hear it loud and clear
piercing through the silence
like a spear

Chorus
But through the thunder and the rain
I hear you calling once again
like an echo from the past
that I know will never last

When the storm has come and gone
and I know my time is done
will the feelings that I fear
just disappear

Verse 2
I’m dangling like a raindrop
that’s clinging to a leaf
knowing what awaits it
afraid to take the leap

My heart is beating faster
I hear it loud and clear
Piercing through the silence
like a spear
Posted By: Scott C Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 10/31/20 12:50 PM
First of all Welcome to the Forum. This is a beautiful song. Awesome vocal and harmonies. Loved the mix and backtrack. Well done. Look forward to hearing more of your songs.
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 10/31/20 01:15 PM
Thanks! I had some help with mixing/mastering for this one. Now I feel I have a much better understanding of how mixing can affect different elements of a song.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 10/31/20 01:40 PM
Hi Alexander,

welcome to the forum.

Liked THE STORM a lot - hard to believe that this is your first composition... Seems like you got some good stuff in store for us...

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 10/31/20 02:03 PM
Thanks! I have quite a few ideas. I'm currently in the process of choosing which one to focus on next. With the first track I wanted something that everyone could listen to. Some of my other tracks will be a bit more niched.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 10/31/20 04:04 PM
Great job, everything came together nicely. Nothing to fault that I can hear. Keep at it!
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 10/31/20 04:26 PM
Thanks! Yeah, everything should be correct in terms of pitch and timing. I think the piano that I generated with BiaB for the bridge might have been a bit tough to mix though due to the changes in frequency when switching from higher to lower keys. It was the last thing I did though and I really wanted to finish this track.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/01/20 01:01 AM
Alexander,

Well, for a first completed song, very impressive—keep it going, please. Love the opening lines of the song—sets the mood perfectly. Terrific harmonies on this throughout. Really well done from start to finish. I’ll look forward to hearing more from you.

My best to you,

Deej
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/01/20 01:54 AM
What a great recording. Pro quality. Cool song. Great lyrics. Outstanding vocals. Outstanding electric guitar licks. The band is good too.
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/01/20 01:59 PM
Deej56 - Thanks! I think the first lines in song lyrics are really important. A lot of people (both here and elsewhere) have mentioned the lyrics when commenting on the song which makes me happy since it's something that I've focused on.

jptjptjpt - Thanks! Yeah, it's amazing what you can do today with internet collaboration on a limited budget.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/01/20 02:10 PM
Yep. Thanks. Here's that bit about the leaf. Listened to your song 3 times, and this part grabbed me each time:
"I’m dangling like a raindrop
knowing what awaits it
afraid to take the leap"
Posted By: dcuny Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/01/20 06:15 PM
Nice mix, good instrumentation, great vocal, good melody, catchy chorus.

What more could you ask for from a song?

You didn't ask for feedback, so feel free to ignore this comment: Since the piano doesn't have a strong melody in the instrumental, it might have been nice to add a solo guitar at 2:40 to punch it up a bit.

But really, I should keep my mouth shut, because I'm liking this song a whole lot. laugh
Posted By: MarioD Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/01/20 06:23 PM
WOW, for a first post this is one hell of a good song! Your mix is perfect! You have a very strong voice and it really shines on this song! Your lyrics are top shelf also. Your friend played some sweet guitar on this.

This is an outstanding song.
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/01/20 06:37 PM
Thanks! Not me singing in this one (although I may sing in future songs), but the writing and composition is all me.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/02/20 11:53 AM
"I’m dangling like a raindrop
knowing what awaits it
afraid to take the leap"

Marty also quoted the above. Very nice.

The vocal and guitar performances are excellent.

Great production to enter the forum with and welcome aboard.

You'll find a lot of great music here and a very supportive community.

Take care,

J&B
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/02/20 02:19 PM
Thanks! Yeah, this community seems very supportive and knowledgeable.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/04/20 07:11 PM
Alexander, for a first composition this is a top notch product! Loved that smooth laid back sound! Almost a Fleetwood Mac type sound IMO! Its a great song with a super performance by your vocalist! Take care, T
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/04/20 09:45 PM
Excellent composition and production. Catchy and mysterious. Good vocalist too.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/05/20 04:30 AM
Hi Alexander ...

Welcome to the forum. And this is a really great song. And it's a terrific first post for us to listen to. I agree with Torrey's Fleetwood Mac reference. Everything sounds great. Kudos for a great song and a great delivery of that song.

Wishing you the very best. Looking forward to more music from you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/05/20 05:51 PM
Thanks! I hadn't really thought about it, but now that you pointed it out I do hear the resemblance.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/05/20 09:47 PM
OH yes!
Great production.
Very nice mix.
The vocals shine!!!!!

Great work............welcome.
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Alexander Paul - The Storm - 11/07/20 07:52 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I'm really satisfied with Audrey's vocals. The harmonies add to the chorus as well.
© PG Music Forums