PG Music Home
Thanks for checking it out!

It's Good to be Home

Original Ed Shaw
C 2020 Fair Use (Give Credit)
Fusion Project -- works from late 19th and early 20th centuries.
(Bent Piano Band-in-a-Box style -- slow country.)
Nice relaxing flow to this one Ed! Keep at it! T
Thanks, Torrey. I've just begun to mine this resource. Isn't America's music tradition fascinating?
Nice song!
I think this is pretty darn good.

I have to suggest there needs to be some adjustments in the mix.
The instruments all sit well and are clear.
However, the vocal sounds a bit boxy.

I like the vintage vibe on the vocals but, it seems out of place with the track.
Thanks for that, Capt. Moto. I have a plan to improve the vocals. We'll see. I'm not too sure what Boxy is
Nice work on this, love the slow pace of it. Really easy to take and really calming to listen to. Thanks for sharing smile
Nicely done Ed!! Lots of feeling in the vocal!! It does seem to distort a bit at times.....tracking vs mix? Take care. Greg
Excellent tune Ed. Your mixes are getting better and better. Super backtrack and excellent vocal
The song has a really lovely and relaxing pace to it, and I think you did some really creative things with ut! Thanks for sharing.
Hi Ed ...

Always good to hear a new one from you. Very nice use of the RTs ... there are some really good ones in BIAB! You picked the rights one for this song .. nicely done! Enjoyed it. Hope to hear more from you.

Take care and be safe ...

Alan
I like the arrangement and your singing. laugh

But... there's a lot of places where there's distortion on your voice, which I assume isn't something you were aiming for. For example, at 0:26 and 2:14 on the "sorrow", 0:42 and 2:23 on "no", 2:31 on "home". I suspect you were just too close to the microphone at those points.

The vocal seems a bit far back in the mix - there's a lot of reverb on the instruments, so the voice doesn't seem to mesh with the rest of the mix.

But those are just nits. Nicely done, I enjoyed listening!
Thanks for the valuable comments, David smile
Hi Ed.
I just love country gospel and the "old timey" (compliment) quality of your vocals fitted this song perfectly . My only gripe is that i found the panned guitar a distraction from your fine vocals. I enjoyed this a lot.
Thanks, Gary. I'll listen for that. By panned, I think is meant raising the volume of the guitar track to feature it, or does it mean to just keep the
guitar out of the way during the vocal track? I notice the country music pros use the electric guitar sparingly when someone sings, you know, more as a fill, riff, or punctuation.
Super lyrics, and a wonderfully uplifting feel to this, Ed. I agree the vocal seems to hit the red a few times.
I'm taking notes, folks. Where else could a guy post a song and have experts of proven worth listen and comment in such as way as to suggest positive steps that will improve the quality of the product? I don't know of any other place/
© PG Music Forums