PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Another Yesterday - 11/02/20 09:39 PM
Another Yesterday

I've not been around much lately. Di's medical issues keep us at the Dr's office a lot. Plus, our new home is finished and we'll be moving into it a week from tomorrow. They've been working on it since May. So, our time has been sponged by all of that. Will be over to listen to many more of you as often as I can.

This is another one I threw together while Di was receiving her daily infusion several months ago. No more than three hours, total, invested. It's a very simple tune with a sparse band. My most significant question: "Is the bass line too loud?" Sometimes I think so; other times I think it isn't. With the band being so sparse, I think the bass line's resonance fills in without being excessively over-dominant. Open to suggestions and thoughts on that.

I used the song style as a starting place and replaced almost all the instruments with the ones annotated below . I also completely redid the chord pattern with this simple progression.

Many thanks in advance.

Alan

Song Summary - Another Yesterday

File:Another Yesterday.SGU

Key=Ab , Tempo 85, Length (m:s)=3:11

Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,

Style is _EPJZPO2.STY (Cool Jazz Pop Quintet w/ Electri)

RealTracks in song: ~2474:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2195:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm CoolJazzPopHeld Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~2200:Guitar, Nylon, Background CountryBrent Ev 085
RealDrums [in Song:ModJazz16Brush: a: Snare Quietb: Snare, HiHat

Posted By: Scott C Re: Another Yesterday - 11/02/20 11:13 PM
Very nice song Alan. Lovely backtrack. Such cool chord progressions. That acoustic melody was just excellent as well..
Posted By: dcuny Re: Another Yesterday - 11/03/20 01:26 AM
A mellow tune that took some interesting turns.

I enjoyed listening. smile
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Yesterday - 11/03/20 04:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very nice song Alan. Lovely backtrack. Such cool chord progressions. That acoustic melody was just excellent as well..

Thank you, Scott. Glad you enjoyed it. It's actually a very simple progression. the only "odd" chord is a Bbm11. Other than that ... pretty standard chords. Thank you for the very nice comments! Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Yesterday - 11/03/20 04:45 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny

HI David ...

Many thanks for your kind comments. Appreciate them very much. Please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Another Yesterday - 11/03/20 10:17 AM
"With the band being so sparse, I think the bass line's resonance fills in without being excessively over-dominant."

I would agree with that, Alan. Whole-heartedly.

A beautiful tune. A gorgeous mix. I truly enjoyed listening.

Best to you and Di. Congrats on the house!

fj
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Yesterday - 11/04/20 04:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thanks a bunch, Scott. It's actually as pretty simple chord progression ... just has a small turn here and there. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks again. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Yesterday - 11/04/20 04:51 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Thanks, David. I appreciate that! Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Yesterday - 11/04/20 04:57 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
"With the band being so sparse, I think the bass line's resonance fills in without being excessively over-dominant."

I would agree with that, Alan. Whole-heartedly.

A beautiful tune. A gorgeous mix. I truly enjoyed listening.

Best to you and Di. Congrats on the house!

fj

Thank you so much, Floyd. Glad you enjoyed your listen.

If you're interested, here's a link to the house. With our upgrades, we added about $19,000.00 to the base price. We're pretty stoked!

Here's the link: https://www.zillow.com/community/bakers-farm/2080274211_zpid/
Posted By: rayc Re: Another Yesterday - 11/04/20 05:03 AM
Sparse but not gaps and no waste.
Lovely progression and tone throughout.
The brushes get a little busy on occasion but that's okay.
Well done.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Another Yesterday - 11/04/20 04:36 PM
Good listening to chill out the election watching.

Smooth!
Bass?....I think that can change dramatically with your listening environment but, I say it sounds good here in my studio.

Well done.

Good luck on the move and best to Di.

moto
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Another Yesterday - 11/04/20 07:26 PM
This is really a lovely piece Alan! The melody and unexpected twists and turns with the chord structure really involves the listener and holds your attention! Beautiful work! Thanks, T
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Another Yesterday - 11/04/20 08:49 PM
Despite the time you said you spent on it, it sounds really well thought out and put together. I think you did well with it!
Posted By: edshaw Re: Another Yesterday - 11/04/20 08:55 PM
Very nice. A meditation. The picture chosen goes well with it.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Yesterday - 11/05/20 04:08 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Sparse but not gaps and no waste.
Lovely progression and tone throughout.
The brushes get a little busy on occasion but that's okay.
Well done.

Hi Ray ...

Those are really comments. I do appreciate them very much. Many thanks! Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Yesterday - 11/05/20 04:10 AM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Good listening to chill out the election watching.

Smooth!
Bass?....I think that can change dramatically with your listening environment but, I say it sounds good here in my studio.

Well done.

Good luck on the move and best to Di.

moto

Howdy, Cap'n ..

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate the comments. Thanks for the feedback on the bass line. Also, we appreciate the kind words on the move into our new house!

Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Yesterday - 11/05/20 04:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
This is really a lovely piece Alan! The melody and unexpected twists and turns with the chord structure really involves the listener and holds your attention! Beautiful work! Thanks, T

Thank you very much, Torrey. It's great having you back on the forum! Miss your great talent when you're not here.

I sure do appreciate those very nice words. That's very kind of you! As always, wishing you the very best and be safe.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Yesterday - 11/05/20 04:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Despite the time you said you spent on it, it sounds really well thought out and put together. I think you did well with it!

Hi Ember ...

It's always a pleasure when staff from PG Music stops in for a listen and a comment. It's very nice to hear from you, in particular.

Most of the tunes I post here are relatively quickly put together. I have a couple dozen songs, I've not yet posted, I created and "finished" while my wife was receiving her daily infusions. Gotta do something during that three hours, so these songs are what I do most of the time.

Thank you for the very nice words. I appreciate them very much. Wishing you the best. Please be safe.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Yesterday - 11/05/20 04:19 AM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Very nice. A meditation. The picture chosen goes well with it.

Hi Ed ...

Always a pleasure to hear from you. You are always so kind with your comments about my music. I appreciate that very much! Wishing you everything good. Please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Another Yesterday - 11/05/20 11:14 AM
Wow this is awesome so dynamic lots of nuggets chords guitar work mix so well done Alan thanks for sharing Eric
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Another Yesterday - 11/05/20 11:44 AM
Beautiful, Alan. The bass might be too loud if it was playing more, but it's mostly half and whole notes, so it frames the bottom perfectly. And that's from a bass player who always says turn up the bass. hehe. Man, this is a beautiful feel song. You say "sad yet pretty" in the description. I believe the etymology of sad indicates that it was originally a word to describe ALL of the emotions. This is a perfect example.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Yesterday - 11/06/20 03:45 AM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Wow this is awesome so dynamic lots of nuggets chords guitar work mix so well done Alan thanks for sharing Eric

Hi Eric ...

Thank you so much for those very, very nice comments. I'm delighted you enjoyed it ... thanks for letting me know! Best to you. Please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Yesterday - 11/06/20 03:48 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Beautiful, Alan. The bass might be too loud if it was playing more, but it's mostly half and whole notes, so it frames the bottom perfectly. And that's from a bass player who always says turn up the bass. hehe. Man, this is a beautiful feel song. You say "sad yet pretty" in the description. I believe the etymology of sad indicates that it was originally a word to describe ALL of the emotions. This is a perfect example.

Marty ...

I was hoping you would drop in and leave a comment or two. You are a fabulous bass player, so your comments on that aspect mean a lot to me. I played with the level of the bass line for quite a while. Good to hear it works as is. And thanks for everything else in your comments. I am humbled.

Wishing you the very best. Be safe, my friend ...

Alan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Another Yesterday - 11/06/20 08:22 PM
Another sweet tune Alan!! The bass fits fine for my taste! Always love the Wurly......an instrument with loads of personality! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Yesterday - 11/07/20 02:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Another sweet tune Alan!! The bass fits fine for my taste! Always love the Wurly......an instrument with loads of personality! Take care. Greg

Thank you Greg ...

Thanks for the really nice comments; and the feedback on the bass. I'm more than delighted you liked the song. It was really a quick throw-together. Most everything was spontaneous ... just wrote it as it went along. there was no pre-thought to what I wanted ... just a little experimenting with tracks and styles for about 45 minutes and then putting all together over the next couple of hours.

Again, many thanks! And your latest is just so suave!

Wishing you all the best. Please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Another Yesterday - 11/07/20 06:16 AM
Dear Alan,

first of all: We're very sad to learn that Di's health is still not where we all would want it to be. We think of and talk about you a lot and our best wishes are always with you.

Please excuse when I'm keeping it a bit shorter today: I'M TIRED !!! The election keeps me watching TV all night long and when I finally hit the bunk I'm too churning to sleep.

Well, dear Alan, I wish I had 10 % of your musical talent!!! Another yesterday is again a wonderful tune, softly flowing, in fact I should listen to it BEFORE i go to bed to become calm. Sounds so beautiful; I really wonder how you manage to put such a nice thing together in that little of time.

I really enjoyed the listen a lot.

A big hug to Du and all the best to both of you,

Stefan
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Another Yesterday - 11/10/20 09:08 PM
Beautify sparkling mellow instrumental. Instruments seem nicely balanced to me. Very enjoyable listen.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Another Yesterday - 11/11/20 08:57 PM
Alan,
Soothing stuff. Amazing tune, especially considering relatively short time it took to put it down. You progressions are always a treat. Mix is very clear. Need female vocals smile
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Another Yesterday - 11/14/20 04:07 PM

WTG with house. We know you are glad it's finished.

Irrespective of the time invested the tune sounds great!

The held bass volume is fine on our end.

Nice!

J&B
Posted By: camog Re: Another Yesterday - 11/15/20 06:10 AM
Hi Alan & Di, such a beautiful layed-back track and lovely chord sequence - thank you for posting, well done!
Di - wishing you the very best result with your treatments!!

Carl
Posted By: jannesan Re: Another Yesterday - 11/15/20 04:49 PM
Beautiful calm mood. Really enjoyed the chord progression, sections going from major to minor chords and then a new section lifts the spirit up with a major chord. The nylon guitar is excellent solo instrument selection, has bit classical vibe and together with jazz instruments creates a unique combination.

Janne
© PG Music Forums