PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/06/20 10:05 PM
Hello fellow BIABers! Continue to hear excellent tunes on the forum........great in variety, superb in quality! This is a song about obsession. Strictly fictional but I have been known to become obsessed myself! Would love to hear what you think. Take care all and stay safe. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/imaginary-dance

Imaginary Dance

He sees her silhouette
The glow of her cigarette
It’s a captivating sight
In the wee hours of the night

He can’t make out her face
Her movements show such grace
And too quickly she is gone
But the memory lingers on

He dreams of a meeting face to face
No words but just a passionate embrace
He’s entangled in this sweet romance
This imaginary dance

He knows not where she goes
Beyond the street light’s glow
He could call to her but then
Would she ever come again?

So he remains unknown
Silent and alone
In the shadows of his room
In the blanket of his gloom

He finds himself sleeping through the days
An alcoholic, deep hypnotic haze
Nights speckled with intense romance
In this imaginary dance

The players

Bss 908
Piano 994
Sax 1060
Drums. Smooth Jazz Ballad^ 1xst, Hiht, snare ride
Strings 2962
E. Gtr. 1072
Posted By: Al-David Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/06/20 10:40 PM
Hi Greg...

I'm convinced that the sub-genre of Lounge Jazz was created because somehow it was known you'd be coming around someday to compose and sing in it. Wonderful lyric, great backing tracks, and that vocal magic you always share with us. Listening to you sing is a treat unto itself. And then there's the song itself. Music is a better world to live in because of your talent in every aspect of the craft. I think that sums it up for now ... although there are a hundred more accolades I could drop here.

Wishing you the very best. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/07/20 02:46 AM
Once again, I hit the play button with unreasonably high expectations, and you did not disappoint! laugh

Everything in the song works to build a dreamy, musical spell. Your voice and the soprano sax are particular standouts.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/07/20 07:06 AM
Hi Greg,

this is a wonderful, incredibly tasteful song. Awesome vocals !!!!! Sounds brilliantly, the solo parts are perfect, great harmonic progressions - VERY well done.

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/07/20 11:19 AM
Man, when that soprano came in I sat a little straighter. You already know I'm one of your biggest fans, Greg. Yeah, I'd buy a ticket to hear you at any venue. Another wonderful write and a clean production. [Please send me one of your failures so I can be sure you're really human. smile ] You are very consistent with outstanding quality --an A&R guys dream.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/07/20 12:40 PM
Greg,

Gorgeous. As always.

Beautiful melody. A solid (somewhat creepy smile ) lyric...

Super tracks and a good mix. Stellar vocal - so smooth.

A pleasure to listen. You should be a star, buddy.

Killer.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/07/20 09:26 PM
Beautiful song Greg. Beautiful vocal and lyric. That sax was just awesome. Another hit IMHO. Well done
Posted By: MarioD Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/07/20 09:50 PM
Lounge jazz at its absolute best! Your vocal is outstanding and your backing tracks fit like a glove! Plus you mix is spot on.

I love lounge jazz and you really hit the nail on the head with this one.

I think this is your best to date.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/08/20 01:54 PM
A TEN!
Nice song, very good lyrics.
Excellent vocals!

Well done
Posted By: jannesan Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/08/20 04:33 PM
Perfect package, mix and instrumentation are flawless, the sax is the icing on the cake. Your soft voice interprets the hazy melancholy in the lyric in a delicate hypnotizing way.

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/08/20 06:10 PM
Crooner time! A mashup of a piano bar sound with Linda Ronstadt and Nelson Riddle.

Classy and sophisticated in write, vocals and arrangement.

You and the sax stole the show!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/09/20 01:41 AM
Greg

Like J&B said classy & sophisticated. Lovely vocal(as expected) and a smooth backing band to match the delivery.

Top notch as usual.

Peter
Posted By: Planobilly Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/09/20 01:22 PM
Easy to listen to. I like the lyrics a lot.

Billy
Posted By: tommyad Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/09/20 08:00 PM
Mr. Smooth strikes again. Your vocals are amazing as are your arranging and writing skills. Is it possible that you keep getting better and better. It sure is as you continue to never disappoint. Wishing you well, Tom
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/09/20 08:17 PM
Darker than usual for you, this track oozes mood. Your voice is always the feature attraction but that sax gave you a run for your money. Superb, as always.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/10/20 12:08 AM
A fine tune. The lyrics really paint a picture and story. That's hard to do. Lovely vocals. I love the melody, especially the hook line. And the band is superb. Good job.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/10/20 11:34 AM
Greg,
Beauty. Super lyrics + vocals! Excellent arrangement and mix. Listens very well.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/10/20 12:30 PM
Just as good as it gets. Man, that vocal!

I'm with floyd on this, you definitely should be a household name.
Posted By: cliftond Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/10/20 03:17 PM
Beautiful song Greg. So well put together, the sax, is a good blend with the vocal. Cliff
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/10/20 07:52 PM
Man you have become the absolute top crooner of the forum Greg IMO! Your vocals are always fabulous! What a lovely tune! You must have really been going with some deep inspiration on this one! Super all the way through! Kind of a Christopher Cross thing going on here with that sax part! Thanks, T
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/12/20 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Greg...

I'm convinced that the sub-genre of Lounge Jazz was created because somehow it was known you'd be coming around someday to compose and sing in it. Wonderful lyric, great backing tracks, and that vocal magic you always share with us. Listening to you sing is a treat unto itself. And then there's the song itself. Music is a better world to live in because of your talent in every aspect of the craft. I think that sums it up for now ... although there are a hundred more accolades I could drop here.

Wishing you the very best. Take care and be safe ...

Alan

WOW Alan!! Could not get a great compliment than that!! Thanks so much!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/12/20 07:23 PM
Masterful - brilliant work - about as good as it gets.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/13/20 02:52 AM
Greg,

Really smooth . . . everything really smooth and flowing. Love when you hit that falsetto on ‘No words” in that third stanza—wonderful vocal. And the sax is so warm and engaging. Perfect production. Outstanding in all respects.

My humble regards,

Deej
Posted By: vicarn Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/13/20 04:20 PM
Fine job on this throughout. I thought George Michael had come back to life.
Great vocal, lyrics and arrangement.

Vic
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/13/20 04:31 PM
Really, really good work on this one. Amazingly smooth and easy to listen to, and the lyrics and your delivery are gorgeous. Makes you shut your eyes and sway - I can imagine this being outstanding for a slow dance (a suiting title hence).

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: musician17 Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/13/20 06:14 PM
WOW. I second the George Michael comment: it's as if I was listening to him once more. That said, this is very much your own thing. Really, one of your best. Really well done.
Posted By: camog Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/15/20 06:21 AM
Beautiful Greg - a really good arrangement and great listen!!

Best regards, Carl
Posted By: Belladonna Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/15/20 12:00 PM
Nice easy listening. Love the lyrics and the smoothness of the melody. Nice listen.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/15/20 11:11 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Once again, I hit the play button with unreasonably high expectations, and you did not disappoint! laugh

Everything in the song works to build a dreamy, musical spell. Your voice and the soprano sax are particular standouts.

Thanks so much David for those extremely kind words!! I believe you are from my neck of the woods. When Covid is under control, we should have a beer! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/15/20 11:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Greg,

this is a wonderful, incredibly tasteful song. Awesome vocals !!!!! Sounds brilliantly, the solo parts are perfect, great harmonic progressions - VERY well done.

Take care,

Stefan

Thanks Stefan! Always enjoy your posts! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Leon1 Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/16/20 02:15 AM
I can only agree with all the previous comments, Greg. Pure class.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/16/20 09:16 PM
Such a smooth, emotive vocal! I can see the smoke-filled room as I listen to this. Love the mellow, haunting melody.
Posted By: rayc Re: NEW SONG POST: Imaginary Dance - 11/17/20 07:31 AM
My immediate impression was of a Steeley Dan ballad..the vocal style & vocal melody did that to me.
This is a very tasteful and succinct arrangement.
Ace vocals.
© PG Music Forums