PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad Way Down South - 11/08/20 01:43 AM
With so much political division on display lately. I thought I would make a comment on one of the longest lasting cultural divides in America. This is that comment…..

https://soundcloud.com/tommyad/way-down-south

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/track/2527050/way-down-south

RealTracks in song: ~1120:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Strumming Held Ev 165
RealTracks in style: 850:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NashvillePopClean HeldEv 120
RealTracks in song: 1263:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopShiningSync Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1262:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopShiningHeld Ev 120
Royalty Free Loops
Recorded in Logic Pro X
Plug Ins : Nectar 2, Neutron 2, Ozone 8, Tonal Balance, Waves LinMB, Waves, L3-LL Multi Limiter, Scuffam Amps S-Gear, Waves Vocal Rider

Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Tom Adams

Way Down South

he came to town with a suitcase a fiddle and a bow

feeling just as empty as a pocket with a hole

the highway north from Big Stone gap was the way to get ahead

No future where he came from where the past is never dead

Way Down south from the wrong side of the tracks

They made fun of his southern accent

right behind his back

he talked to his Mama every day

And I could tell if he had his way

He would rather be Way Down South

ain’t no strangers here he said so come and set a spell

grab a beer you won't believe the stories i can tell

you gotta go through hell to get to heaven or else you shouldn’t leave

this far from home a simple man is the hardest thing to be

right behind his back

he said i miss my sanctuary my refuge my home

Whatever people think of me is out of my control

right behind his back

©2020 Thomas Adams
Posted By: Al-David Re: Way Down South - 11/08/20 05:18 AM
Hi Tom...

Another gem from ya! I loved the percussions ... really made the backing tracks pop! I liked this couplet a lot:

"The highway north from Big Stone gap was the way to get ahead
No future where he came from where the past is never dead"

That last line, in particular, is killer!

Just a thought, FWIW: I was hoping for a half-step key modulation after the bridge. Regardless, it's a heckuva song!

The only thing I have to say about all the political crap is:

Whether or not you voted for my guy, thanks for voting. I got my butt shot up pretty good in Vietnam defending the American way of life. And the freedom to freely vote for our leaders is the cornerstone of our democracy. There are millions of folks around the world who would love to have that opportunity.

Loved the song! Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Way Down South - 11/08/20 01:06 PM
Tom,

Great to see ya! And hear ya!

When we lost Jerry Jeff Walker recently, I listened to a bunch of his catalogue. This reminded me of much of that. It would easily fit any of his records. A similar kind of rollicking sound and melody, a good story well told (good write). All the right musical elements. A warm vocal that "makes ya listen".

Nothing out of place. Great mix. On my 4th listen now. It gets better with each listen.

Excellent.

fj
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Way Down South - 11/08/20 07:53 PM
Darn good set of lyrics. Kinetic energy of the instrumentation propels this song. Vocal brings you right into the story.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Way Down South - 11/09/20 01:38 AM
Tom

A fan of what you do. Always engaging and musical. Excellent story telling and a nice musical bed.

Expected to and did enjoy it all.

Peter
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/09/20 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Tom...

Another gem from ya! I loved the percussions ... really made the backing tracks pop! I liked this couplet a lot:

"The highway north from Big Stone gap was the way to get ahead
No future where he came from where the past is never dead"

That last line, in particular, is killer!

Just a thought, FWIW: I was hoping for a half-step key modulation after the bridge. Regardless, it's a heckuva song!

The only thing I have to say about all the political crap is:

Whether or not you voted for my guy, thanks for voting. I got my butt shot up pretty good in Vietnam defending the American way of life. And the freedom to freely vote for our leaders is the cornerstone of our democracy. There are millions of folks around the world who would love to have that opportunity.

Loved the song! Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Alan, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. The idea of a modulation is a good one. I wish I would have thought of that. I have to try and remember to use that and will keep in the toolbox for further use down the road, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/10/20 12:07 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom,

Great to see ya! And hear ya!

When we lost Jerry Jeff Walker recently, I listened to a bunch of his catalogue. This reminded me of much of that. It would easily fit any of his records. A similar kind of rollicking sound and melody, a good story well told (good write). All the right musical elements. A warm vocal that "makes ya listen".

Nothing out of place. Great mix. On my 4th listen now. It gets better with each listen.

Excellent.

fj
Thanks for all that. I got a lot of ideas out there on the road. Now I have to bring them to life. I hope to be around now for a while, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/10/20 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Darn good set of lyrics. Kinetic energy of the instrumentation propels this song. Vocal brings you right into the story.
Thanks for the kind comments. I appreciate it, Tom
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Way Down South - 11/10/20 12:31 PM
Very engaging, Tom. Your lyrics stimulate double-takes, like "feeling just as empty as a pocket with a hole," and "you gotta go through hell to get to heaven or else you shouldn’t leave". You hired the perfect band, the raised 'em to a higher level. Well done.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Way Down South - 11/10/20 01:13 PM
That's a keeper!
Enjoyed it, Lyrics really tell the story well.

Band sound good.
Vocals well delivered.

I have to add my 2cents and say.....Great comment Alan.
Proud that Democracy is alive.
Posted By: cliftond Re: Way Down South - 11/10/20 03:04 PM
Tom, this is a top notch country tune my friend, I especially like the way you brought the chorus together. I have a couple of good kitty cats I might trade you for that gold telecaster!!! Ha. Enjoyed it Cliff
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Way Down South - 11/10/20 07:40 PM
This is among some of the finest music ever presented on the forum Tom! What a great sound you've got here! Not one thing out of place to my ears! Great song! Thanks, T
Posted By: Scott C Re: Way Down South - 11/11/20 12:00 AM
Loved this tune Tom. Very cool lyric. Loved the rhythm to this tune. Drums were very cool. Awesome vocal. Well done
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/11/20 12:19 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom

A fan of what you do. Always engaging and musical. Excellent story telling and a nice musical bed.

Expected to and did enjoy it all.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I always look forward to and appreciate all your comments, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/11/20 11:56 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Very engaging, Tom. Your lyrics stimulate double-takes, like "feeling just as empty as a pocket with a hole," and "you gotta go through hell to get to heaven or else you shouldn’t leave". You hired the perfect band, the raised 'em to a higher level. Well done.
Marty, thanks for mentioning the lyrics. I work at it to try to say something more than what’s on the surface. It’s great that you took the time to listen and comment, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/12/20 03:50 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
That's a keeper!
Enjoyed it, Lyrics really tell the story well.

Band sound good.
Vocals well delivered.

I have to add my 2cents and say.....Great comment Alan.
Proud that Democracy is alive.
Cap’n thanks for those kind words,Tom
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Way Down South - 11/13/20 02:51 AM
Tommy,

Terrific write . . . “feeling just s empty as a pocket with a hole”—great line, and just one of many. It’s concise and right on point all the way through—tight story accentuated with a great melody, lyric and production. Well, well done!

My best to you,

Deej
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/13/20 07:42 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Tom, this is a top notch country tune my friend, I especially like the way you brought the chorus together. I have a couple of good kitty cats I might trade you for that gold telecaster!!! Ha. Enjoyed it Cliff
Cliff, thanks for stopping by. I’ll give your offer careful consideration. Ha, Tom
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: Way Down South - 11/14/20 11:49 AM
Wow, I am impressed, I love country music, and this is a hit!! At first I was trying to get established with the beat, but when you got into the verse, it fell right in, Well done!!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Way Down South - 11/14/20 04:56 PM

"feeling just as empty as a pocket with a hole"

Hooked, the both of us, by that second line - a great one of many.
You have a wonderful gift in the way you can write/sing song stories that seem, as Bill Monroe said, so "true life."

"grab a beer you won't believe the stories i can tell"

Well you may not be from the south bro' but we have had the pleasure of hearing many great ones from you!

Janice was singing harmony before the first chorus was over...it is immediately engaging.

As always your playing, the RT's and the loops make an absolutely seamless band sound -- like guys/gals that have played together for years.

The mix? You have always been one of the absolute best on this forum and this is no exception Pro studio stuff happening here.

Welcome back!

J&B

PS Yeah, we called our mamas all the time!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/15/20 09:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
This is among some of the finest music ever presented on the forum Tom! What a great sound you've got here! Not one thing out of place to my ears! Great song! Thanks, T
Torrey, those are some extremely kind words. Thank you for your generous comments, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/15/20 10:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved this tune Tom. Very cool lyric. Loved the rhythm to this tune. Drums were very cool. Awesome vocal. Well done
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Thanks Scott. I always appreciate your comments,Tom
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Way Down South - 11/15/20 11:10 PM
A FANTASTIC Write!!! AND Just as good of a delivery!!! LOVE everything about it!! PERFECT!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Way Down South - 11/16/20 02:32 AM
Wow, Tom. This is just so good in every way. Love it.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Way Down South - 11/16/20 02:21 PM
Let me simply say.... well done on a good song.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Way Down South - 11/16/20 09:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
A FANTASTIC Write!!! AND Just as good of a delivery!!! LOVE everything about it!! PERFECT!!! Take care. Greg

Ditto!

Tommy, you should sing more often as you have an excellent voice. Super lyrics also. I loved that snare!

This should be on the radio today!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/17/20 12:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Tommy,

Terrific write . . . “feeling just s empty as a pocket with a hole”—great line, and just one of many. It’s concise and right on point all the way through—tight story accentuated with a great melody, lyric and production. Well, well done!

My best to you,

Deej
Thank you Deej for taking the time to listen and leave such uplifting comments. I appreciate it, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/18/20 12:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields
Wow, I am impressed, I love country music, and this is a hit!! At first I was trying to get established with the beat, but when you got into the verse, it fell right in, Well done!!
Ronnie, thanks! I appreciate your kind comments,Tom
Posted By: dcuny Re: Way Down South - 11/18/20 04:59 AM
Enjoyable listen!

Nothing new to add to what's already been written: Good backing tracks, engaging melody, interesting lyric with some evocative lines.

Good song. smile
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/18/20 11:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

"feeling just as empty as a pocket with a hole"

Hooked, the both of us, by that second line - a great one of many.
You have a wonderful gift in the way you can write/sing song stories that seem, as Bill Monroe said, so "true life."

"grab a beer you won't believe the stories i can tell"

Well you may not be from the south bro' but we have had the pleasure of hearing many great ones from you!

Janice was singing harmony before the first chorus was over...it is immediately engaging.

As always your playing, the RT's and the loops make an absolutely seamless band sound -- like guys/gals that have played together for years.

The mix? You have always been one of the absolute best on this forum and this is no exception Pro studio stuff happening here.

Welcome back!

J&B

PS Yeah, we called our mamas all the time!

After having lived in both the North and the South, l have always found how different the cultures are to be an interesting subject. This story was based on a kid I went to high school with from Kentucky and how hard it was for him to assimilate to the Chicago boys who teased him unmercifully. Thanks for the really nice review, Tom
Posted By: rayc Re: Way Down South - 11/19/20 12:00 AM
As an Australian it's hard to comprehend the cultural divide between the North n South in a balanced way as, in the 60s, our minds were filled with the pastiche romanticism of Gone With The Wind/Song of the South/Birth of a Nation & all those Shirley Temple flicks...heavy propaganda that predisposed Aussie's of a certain age.
This song shows a willingness of the protagonist to move north to a future that wasn't on offer at home.
Musically this is really tidy and very well sung.
I enjoyed it.
Posted By: TexasFrets Re: Way Down South - 11/19/20 02:36 AM
Excellent song. Catchy tune with a good hook. Really liked the percussion. Great sound. Lovely vocals.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/19/20 09:09 AM
Thanks Greg. I always look forward to what you have to say, Tom
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Way Down South - 11/19/20 11:00 AM
Good to see you back with a new song, Tom!

Top notch as per usual, very much enjoyed.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/19/20 06:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Wow, Tom. This is just so good in every way. Love it.
Regards,
Leon
Thank you Leon. I’m glad you liked it, Tom
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Way Down South - 11/20/20 12:34 AM
Excellent tune. Great recording. A well crafted song. Great playing (you and your band). Bravo!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/20/20 03:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Let me simply say.... well done on a good song.
Thanks a lot Herb. I appreciate it,Tom
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Ditto!

Tommy, you should sing more often as you have an excellent voice. Super lyrics also. I loved that snare!

This should be on the radio today!
Thanks Mario. I was hoping you would like it,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/21/20 09:51 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Enjoyable listen!

Nothing new to add to what's already been written: Good backing tracks, engaging melody, interesting lyric with some evocative lines.

Good song. smile
David, thanks for taking time out of your day to listen and comment. Glad to hear from you,Tom
Posted By: Derochette Re: Way Down South - 11/21/20 12:07 PM
Hello Tommyad,

Lyrics well written on a beautiful melody, with a voice emphasizing the important words. All the ingredients of a good composition. I appreciated. Well done.

Kindly regard
Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/22/20 09:18 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
As an Australian it's hard to comprehend the cultural divide between the North n South in a balanced way as, in the 60s, our minds were filled with the pastiche romanticism of Gone With The Wind/Song of the South/Birth of a Nation & all those Shirley Temple flicks...heavy propaganda that predisposed Aussie's of a certain age.
This song shows a willingness of the protagonist to move north to a future that wasn't on offer at home.
Musically this is really tidy and very well sung.
I enjoyed it.
Ray, I always enjoy reading your comments as you seem to be able to share some keen observations. Thanks for the nice words,Tom
Originally Posted By: TexasFrets
Excellent song. Catchy tune with a good hook. Really liked the percussion. Great sound. Lovely vocals.
Thanks for the fine review,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/23/20 10:37 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Good to see you back with a new song, Tom!

Top notch as per usual, very much enjoyed.
Thanks Dave. Glad you enjoyed it,Tom
Posted By: ROG Re: Way Down South - 11/23/20 01:54 PM
Hi Tom,

This is certainly the sort of country music I like. Music like
this needs to be put on repeat in the car to be appreciated at it's best,
but for now, I just put it through the monitors nice and LOUD and it hangs
together beautifully.

A wonderful chunky rhythm with all the instruments having their own space in
which to work, so everything comes through nice and clear.

Excellent vocals and guitar work.
A clever arrangement with texture and a perfect mix.
Loved it.

ROG.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/24/20 09:06 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Excellent tune. Great recording. A well crafted song. Great playing (you and your band). Bravo!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/25/20 09:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hello Tommyad,

Lyrics well written on a beautiful melody, with a voice emphasizing the important words. All the ingredients of a good composition. I appreciated. Well done.

Kindly regard
Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Thanks for your nice comments,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Way Down South - 11/25/20 09:41 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Tom,

This is certainly the sort of country music I like. Music like
this needs to be put on repeat in the car to be appreciated at it's best,
but for now, I just put it through the monitors nice and LOUD and it hangs
together beautifully.

A wonderful chunky rhythm with all the instruments having their own space in
which to work, so everything comes through nice and clear.

Excellent vocals and guitar work.
A clever arrangement with texture and a perfect mix.
Loved it.

ROG.
I’m glad you made it by. Thanks for the wonderful review,Tom
© PG Music Forums