PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Feel Good Funk - 11/08/20 06:02 AM
Feel Good Funk

A Modern Jazz Funk song. This subgenre has a rather narrow audience niche. But I'm a big fan. In this style, drums and bass usually lead the way. The lead instrument is mixed slightly above them, giving the supporting cast a little more space. I mixed the lead guitar a wee bit louder than is typical for the genre. Laziness is my only excuse for not remixing the track.

I'll get back to everyone who leaves a comment just as soon as I can ... it might be a few days, though. We close on our new house Tuesday and move in on Wednesday. We're still packing for the movers. Then we have to get everything organized. Also, we bought all new furniture and that will be delivered an Wednesday afternoon. And then on Thursday the service people come out to hook up our cable and internet. Then Di has a Dr's appointment on Friday. Busy schedule!

Alan

Song Summary – Feel Good Funk

File:Feel Good Funk.SGU

Key=Em , Tempo 105, Length (m:s)=3:02
4 bar intro, 24 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 28. Repeat x3 choruses

Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,

Style is _MODE.STY (Mode Jazzy Pop Funk)

RealTracks in style: 1768:Bass, Electric, JazzFunkMovin Ev16 130
RealTracks in style: 3331:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzyPop16thsMark Ev16 080
RealTracks in style: 3255:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RootsyFunkBob Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 3250:Guitar, Electric, Soloist ModernFunkBob Ev16 110
Loop in Song: Metronome\Rock - love_drums90_verse_snares7 ev8.wav
RealDrums [in style:LoungePop16thsSput^1-a:closed hat, snare , b:ride, snare
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/08/20 08:18 AM
Hi Alan

This is a fine display of tasteful guitar virtuosity . I love how you melodiously and economically place your notes which allows the music to breathe and thrive producing that "feel good funk" which your title alludes to. Enjoyable listen.

off topic- one benefit of moving house is the chance to de-clutter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/08/20 12:56 PM
Alan,

Always a treat to hear your music.

This is another wonderful effort. A real pleasure.

Excellent. Mix sounds good.

fj
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/08/20 08:39 PM
Count me in the narrow audience group Alan! This is great and man I dig it! You put together a fabulous ensemble here! Take care, T
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/08/20 09:54 PM
Feel'n GOOD!

Kinda snappy.

I have know idea how you and the other users here do this stuff.
All I ever do is find song style, enter the chord progression and maybe change an instrument here and there.

Well done!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/09/20 01:38 PM
What popped our first for me Alan is what an awesome mixed on the song. Guitar has such a cool tone. Real bite to it. Well done
Posted By: tommyad Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/09/20 08:03 PM
Alan, Great lead sound. 1st class mix and and a wonderful listen. Hoping you enjoy the new house. Say hi to Di, Tom
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/09/20 09:58 PM
Feel good funk that's got me feeling good! Like listening to a radio station you really like. Hope the move goes well and makes you both happy!
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/10/20 12:17 AM
Nice number. Good work with the band.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/10/20 10:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Hi Alan

This is a fine display of tasteful guitar virtuosity . I love how you melodiously and economically place your notes which allows the music to breathe and thrive producing that "feel good funk" which your title alludes to. Enjoyable listen.

off topic- one benefit of moving house is the chance to de-clutter

Hi Gary ...

Thanks for the very nice comments! As far as decluttering ... not with my wife! We're moving from about 1050 sq ft to over 2000 sq ft. She's already deciding how to fill up all 2000 of them!

Take care & be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/10/20 10:22 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

Always a treat to hear your music.

This is another wonderful effort. A real pleasure.

Excellent. Mix sounds good.

fj

Hi Floyd ...

And it's always a treat to read one of your reviews! Thanks so much. I appreciate all that!!! best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/10/20 10:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Count me in the narrow audience group Alan! This is great and man I dig it! You put together a fabulous ensemble here! Take care, T

Torrey ...

OK, you're now an official member of the club ... congrats!

I'm delighted you enjoyed it. And I appreciate you letting me know. Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/10/20 10:30 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Feel'n GOOD!

Kinda snappy.

I have know idea how you and the other users here do this stuff.
All I ever do is find song style, enter the chord progression and maybe change an instrument here and there.

Well done!

Howdy Cap'n ...

Thanks for the very nice words! All I can tell you, from my POV, is that I do a lot of experimenting with styles and real tracks. I find a style that gets me kind of close to the general sound I want. I then spend quite a bit of "previewing' the various instruments that might work. I start culling the least acceptable instruments (RTs) until i find the one I like the most. I do this for each track.

I do not use a DAW other than my very mundane knowledge of Audacity. I do 90%-95% of my "editing" and mixing on the chord input sheet. there's a lot of stuff going on behind those chord symbols and measures! Also, I've been a BIAB user for almost ten years and, I think, I have a decent feel for the basic machinations of the software. Chords come to me pretty easy ... that's the easy part most of the time.

Very few of my songs take more than 6-8 hours total ... from first thought to what you hear posted.

That probably didn't help much, but if it does, so much the better! Glad to have you listening. Thanks for the visit. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/12/20 10:40 AM
Ach Alan,

you're really keeping 'em coming. That's really my kind of stuff - wonderful! These BIAB soloist tracks are just mad...

Guess there will be a lot of work to be done in your new house, Maha and I wish you a happy move smile.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/12/20 06:24 PM
Another cool instrumental Alan!! Love the attitude......this funk has spunk!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/18/20 12:23 PM
Hello Allan,

That was quite a funky song you made. Very energetic and dynamic!
The melody is very nice and so is the performance of the band.
I like to listen to all the things that happen in your song, like when the leadguitar comes in, the way the drums do their parts and so on. Very nice altogether!

I read your answer to CaptainMoto. I pretty much work the same where it goes for the styles, instruments and -what I called- pre-mixing in the chord input sheet. But I use a Daw for the finetuning of certain effects for the vocals.

I am amazed it only takes you 6 to 8 hours to make a song. But you are lucky you don't have to write lyrics and do the singing. That will take more than double that time.

Have a nice day,
Hans
Posted By: Derochette Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/19/20 01:07 PM
Hello Al-David,

I do not personally know this style but it is very pleasant. I find that the guitar mix is ​​in its place to bring out your fingering. The piece pleases. Well done.

Kindly regard
Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: TexasFrets Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/21/20 04:12 AM
I really dig it. Love the energy. Great sound. I enjoyed reading your answer to CaptianMoto. I'm always interested in how others approach songs and use BIAB. Great job! Cheers, Todd
Posted By: rayc Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/21/20 07:30 AM
It's a nice light funk indeed.
The lead guitar drops some wonderful licks that's make great vocal hooks.
I like the mix - it really works well.
Well done.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/21/20 12:52 PM
Now how cool is that?

Very!

Another outstanding display of your talent and BiaB within an
excellent mix.

And, man, that solo RT is one of the best we've heard.

Hope you get or are caught up!

Be safe.

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/21/20 07:50 PM
Alan

That was a treat, made me play along.

Infectious and really nicely arranged and put together.

Peter
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/23/20 08:46 PM
Clean mix! The song moves forward on its kinetic energy. Good write and arrangement.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/23/20 09:16 PM
Hi Al-David,

This is a style of music I enjoy listening to as well. You did an excellent job on this track. I really enjoyed the groove and the delicate guitar playing.

Thanks a lot for sharing!
Will
Posted By: Al-David Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/24/20 03:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
What popped our first for me Alan is what an awesome mixed on the song. Guitar has such a cool tone. Real bite to it. Well done

Hi Scott ...

Finally in our new house but have spent the past 9 days with no Internet. Living in a world of cardboard boxes ... hope to have them unpacked in the next few days.

Thank you for the comments on the mix. Glad you enjoyed the various guitar nuances. Thanks for mentioning them. Wishing you the very best. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/24/20 03:38 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Alan, Great lead sound. 1st class mix and and a wonderful listen. Hoping you enjoy the new house. Say hi to Di, Tom

Hi Tom ...

Many thanks for all those kind words. Sure do appreciate them! The new house is great! We went from about 1050 square feet to over 2000 square feet. Four bedrooms and three full baths

Again, I'm delighted you liked the song. Wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/24/20 03:40 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Feel good funk that's got me feeling good! Like listening to a radio station you really like. Hope the move goes well and makes you both happy!

Howdy, My Friend ...

So glad you dropped in for a visit and listen. Many thanks for the kind words!

We're moved in and enjoying the heck out of it!

Best to you. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/24/20 03:40 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Nice number. Good work with the band.

jpt3 ...

Thanks for the listen and encouraging comments ... much appreciated. Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/24/20 11:03 AM
Really nice work - it's really fun indeed, loved the licks and thought the production was clean and on point. Really catchy too with an excellent groove - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Buttrey Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/25/20 01:29 AM
Very nicely done. Thanks!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/25/20 04:39 PM
Thanks to everyone who has left a comment since my last "Thank You". Time is at a premium right now and I want to get over to your songs. So, I hope this group thank you is adequate. I appreciate each every listen and comment.

Wishing everyone well! Take care and be safe. Happy Thanksgiving!

ALan
Posted By: MarioD Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/25/20 10:08 PM
I'm in that audience also! And yes this is feel good funk!

Super chops Alan! Perfect backing tracks and a great mix.

Excellent funk instrumental.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/26/20 12:18 AM
Hi Alan, however narrow, I'm there! Loved it! Nice chord progression and production (no surprise there) Good luck with the new house.

Cheers

Mike B.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/26/20 01:35 PM
This is truly feel good music! Wonderful to hear. Wishing you all the best with your moving ... want to hear more whenever you have time! Great stuff - truly feel good, truly fun, truly funky :-)
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/27/20 12:15 PM

Sounds great Al! Happy Thanksgiving man!
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/27/20 12:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
A Modern Jazz Funk song.

I like it.
A very smooth, appealing vibe to this one....I'd listen again.
Well done.

Best to you and Di getting settled into the new dwelling.

Take care...
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Feel Good Funk - 11/27/20 12:57 PM
Very cool groove, Alan. I'm a fan!! Sweet and tasteful guitar sounds.
Posted By: Sironedragon Re: Feel Good Funk - 09/29/21 05:27 AM
nice
© PG Music Forums