PG Music Home
Posted By: CaptainMoto Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/10/20 10:50 AM
Thank you to everyone who commented on the original.
Here's a re-do
Used BIAB to keep my timing straight.

BIAB -Acoustic Bass 531
BIAB - B3 organ 1039
BIAB -Real Drums Jazz Brushes

Studio One Presence - Midi Cello

Moto -Rhythm Guitar
Moto -Lead Guitar
Moto - Vocals

Re-imagined the guitar parts to make it more mellow

https://soundcloud.com/captainmoto/livn-in-the-darkness-take-2
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/10/20 04:44 PM
OOOPS!
There was a problem with the link.
Hope it works now.

https://soundcloud.com/captainmoto/livn-in-the-darkness-take-2
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/10/20 05:00 PM
Captain,
I decided to give it a spin now, as the first version is still fresh in my head....
Sweet, more polished...sure.
I might be in the minority here, but I liked the first version better, perhaps for exact opposite reasons on how this version was addressed. I liked the raw feel of V1. Don't get me wrong, V2 is done very well, this is only an opinion on comparison between two.
In any case, I think it is better to have two (or more) versions than one smile Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/10/20 05:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Captain,
I decided to give it a spin now, as the first version is still fresh in my head....
Sweet, more polished...sure.
I might be in the minority here, but I liked the first version better, perhaps for exact opposite reasons on how this version was addressed. I liked the raw feel of V1. Don't get me wrong, V2 is done very well, this is only an opinion on comparison between two.
In any case, I think it is better to have two (or more) versions than one smile Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks for coming back for a taste of the new stew.
I fully understand your point of view.
Even with some problems, V1 had something I'll never be able to recreate.

moto
Posted By: Scott C Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/10/20 11:44 PM
Lovely tune. I really like both versions of the song. I am leaning more to the first one as well. Awesome vocal. Guitar is excellent
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/11/20 01:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely tune. I really like both versions of the song. I am leaning more to the first one as well. Awesome vocal. Guitar is excellent

Thanks for your observations Scott.

moto
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/11/20 02:46 PM
moto,

Rather than revisit the original, I'll give this a listen on it's own merits... And that turns out to be a terrific listen. I really "felt" it. A real Blues song. It sort of depressed me - in other words...made me Blue.

Mournful guitar. Drums work. Good Bluesy vocal. Nice mix.

Bartender...another, please...

fj
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/11/20 05:24 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
moto,

Rather than revisit the original, I'll give this a listen on it's own merits... And that turns out to be a terrific listen. I really "felt" it. A real Blues song. It sort of depressed me - in other words...made me Blue.

Mournful guitar. Drums work. Good Bluesy vocal. Nice mix.

Bartender...another, please...

fj

Ureka!
This song is supposed to be sad so, if the listener feels it, I've done my job.

Thanks for listening and commenting.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/11/20 06:31 PM
A nicely done blues - sort of an old Fleetwood Mac vibe.

Peter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/12/20 06:21 PM
If I had to describe the difference, I'd say this one sounded more like the "studio version" and the other one a bit more raw and live. Hard to say which I prefer.......maybe this one? Both are very good!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/12/20 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
A nicely done blues - sort of an old Fleetwood Mac vibe.

Peter

Thanks Peter,
F.W.M. never entered my mind, I'll have to listen with some new ears.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/12/20 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
If I had to describe the difference, I'd say this one sounded more like the "studio version" and the other one a bit more raw and live. Hard to say which I prefer.......maybe this one? Both are very good!! Take care. Greg

Greg,
Thanks for giving it a listen and responding.
I've been very torn on this one.
I think your description suites it well.

moto
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/12/20 10:33 PM
I think you did a really great job on the mix - I think the song title -- Liv'n In The Darkness -- suits the tone of the song quite well too. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/13/20 12:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I think you did a really great job on the mix - I think the song title -- Liv'n In The Darkness -- suits the tone of the song quite well too. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for listening.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/13/20 05:19 PM
Great feel, Moto. I like both versions. You can't hide good.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/13/20 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Great feel, Moto. I like both versions. You can't hide good.

Thanks Marty
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/15/20 12:17 PM
Hi Moto,

this is just beautiful. I really loved that restrained lead guitar. And you sing it so heartfelt. very, very nice!

All the ebst,

Stefan
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/16/20 03:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Moto,

this is just beautiful. I really loved that restrained lead guitar. And you sing it so heartfelt. very, very nice!

All the ebst,

Stefan

Stefan,
Thank you so much for the kind review.

Music is all about the story and the emotion so, when a listener feels the emotion, I feel I've accomplished my goal.

moto
Posted By: MarioD Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/16/20 09:42 PM
Loved it! As you know I love the blues and you hit the nail on head with this one. Super vocal! Excellent lyrics! Great band! I especially loved those clean all most jazz like blues guitar leads. It was a very pleasant change from the distorted lead guitar leads.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/16/20 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Loved it! As you know I love the blues and you hit the nail on head with this one. Super vocal! Excellent lyrics! Great band! I especially loved those clean all most jazz like blues guitar leads. It was a very pleasant change from the distorted lead guitar leads.

Thanks Mario,
If you listened to the original you'd hear the guitar was more aggressive, this one is much less angry.

moto
Posted By: rayc Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/17/20 07:27 AM
This has a classic late 60s blues feel...the sort of track like The Thrill Is Gone that knows how to use a bit of orchestra, light & shade and an understated vocal.
I like the original and this is a different beast.
COOOOL.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/17/20 09:44 AM
Hi Moto,

A very relaxed song with a very good band and sologuitar. The brushes sounded so bright and closeby I felt I was sitting near to that drumkit. Loved that!
Your singing was almost hypnotic and very good.
I think it was Floyd who wrote "bartender... another drink" (or something like that) and that was how I felt too.

I enjoyed it all,
Hans
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/17/20 09:49 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
This has a classic late 60s blues feel...the sort of track like The Thrill Is Gone that knows how to use a bit of orchestra, light & shade and an understated vocal.
I like the original and this is a different beast.
COOOOL.

Hey Rayc,
I'm a kind of the 60's, although I try some more modern things, I love aiming for the vibe.
Thanks for listening and your comments.

moto
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Moto,

A very relaxed song with a very good band and sologuitar. The brushes sounded so bright and closeby I felt I was sitting near to that drumkit. Loved that!
Your singing was almost hypnotic and very good.
I think it was Floyd who wrote "bartender... another drink" (or something like that) and that was how I felt too.

I enjoyed it all,
Hans

Hans,
I can't tell you how pleased I am to read your comments.
I was shooting for that intimated feeling, glad it came across that way.
Although, I typically use BIAB for drums, I still like to treat them with EQ & compression to deliver the sound I'm aiming for.
Sometimes I get close, sometimes I blow it.

moto
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/21/20 07:04 PM
"Music is all about the story and the emotion so, when a listener feels the emotion, I feel I've accomplished my goal."

A tip of the pint glass to that.

A good point and one that often is missed when it comes to what defines good blues...as this song is.

Lots of accolades above. So big ole dittos from a couple of big time blues folks!

We enjoyed your performances very much.

J&B

Posted By: Derochette Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/22/20 04:50 PM
Hello CaptainMoto,

Very cozy and intimate atmosphere. Ideal for an intimate evening with your partner.The melody is languid and pleasant. Well done

Kindly regard

Deroregard
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/23/20 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"Music is all about the story and the emotion so, when a listener feels the emotion, I feel I've accomplished my goal."

A tip of the pint glass to that.

A good point and one that often is missed when it comes to what defines good blues...as this song is.

Lots of accolades above. So big ole dittos from a couple of big time blues folks!

We enjoyed your performances very much.

J&B

Hey J&B,
As big time blues folks, I thank you for your kind comments.

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Liv'n In the Darkness - Take II - 11/23/20 12:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello CaptainMoto,

Very cozy and intimate atmosphere. Ideal for an intimate evening with your partner.The melody is languid and pleasant. Well done

Kindly regard

Deroregard
alias JaniJackFlash

JJF,
Thanks for the comments.

moto
© PG Music Forums