PG Music Home
No Me Without You

I wrote the same "liner notes" for "On Their Side" and the so this would probably be the A or B side of the "single" as the same applies to this rock ballad.

Bud & Janice kindly agreed to collaborate on a new tune.
I sent Janice Leon's lyrics and a set of chords.
Janice came up with melody and phrasing.

Janice - Lead vocal & backing vocals & arrangement (including the lovely melody)
Leon - Lyrics
Bud - Mixing advice, sound processing & recording engineer
Me - Guitars & arrangement

The Band
RealTracks in style: ~683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 888:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopBronx Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1270:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopUpliftSyncMuted Ev16 120
RealTracks in song: 2933:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking SongwriterFolkSlapQuinn Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleEven16^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

No Me Without You

There is no spring without the rain
Some say there is no gain without a little pain
There is no sunshine without the sun
If you’d never lost, how would you know that you had won?
There is no green without yellow and blue
There is no me without you

There is no gravity unless the world is spinning
When the shooting starts well no one is really winning
There is no fire unless something is burning
One step is the starting point of every journey
There are some offers that you just can’t refuse

Some things just naturally go together
Some combinations cannot be untethered
One and one will always add up to two
Never ever be no me without you

Won’t hear no music without vibration
Every little triumph deserves a celebration
Every act of kindness is worth its weight in gold
When I’m with you I’m not afraid of growing old
There is no tale so tall it could not be true

There is no tide without the moon
Some stories finish way too soon
Some rivers never get to flow down to the sea
Some acorns never get to be an old oak tree
Life is no fairy tale and wishes don’t come true

Some things just naturally go together
Some combinations cannot be untethered
One and one will always add up to two
Never ever be no me without you

There is no tide without the moon
Some stories finish way, way too soon
Some rivers never get to flow down to the sea
Some acorns never get to be an old oak tree
Life’s no fairy tale but some wishes do come true
Loved this tune Peter, Janice and Bud and Leon. Very cool lyric. Awesome vocal. Loved the melody to the song. Very upbeat and happy.

Peter your guitar break was perfect. Loved the way the vocal was mixed. Well done..

Good song!

Excellent write, Leon, and great playing, Peter.

Nice arrangement too, I liked the modulation.

And of course Janice sounds awesome as she always does wink

Really good you four, enjoyed!
Leon, Peter, Janice, Bud...

A strong write. One of your best, Leon. Very commercial.
And a very commercial melody, Janice (one of your best, too, I think).
An excellent BAND. A "radio sound". (one of my favorites from the group - y'all might need to come up with a band name).
And to top it off...might be my favorite Peter guitar work - also has "commercial appeal".

This should be the first single from the album.

Excellent listen.

fj
I really admire Leon's songwriting talent, once again simple but deeply touching lyrics, I'm sold for lines like "Some stories finish way, way too soon" and "Some acorns never get to be an old oak tree". And when the story is put to the light pop-rock mold, my favorite genre, I cannot stop listening... modulation and slow down in the end are extra cherries.

Peter's soloing is heartbreakingly beautiful, perfect match for the song. Janice's melody is excellent and her singing remind me strongly of Chrissie Hynde and songs like Back On The Chain Gang and Don't Get Me Wrong.

The mix is so balanced and polished that I surely can see all my flaws reflecting from it. I very rarely repost anything on SoundCloud, but you have once again made me do it, congratulations!

Janne
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved this tune Peter, Janice and Bud and Leon. Very cool lyric. Awesome vocal. Loved the melody to the song. Very upbeat and happy.

Peter your guitar break was perfect. Loved the way the vocal was mixed. Well done..

Scott
Thanks for that excellent review, we all appreciate your comments.

Peter
Janice's vocals really stand out here, and the lyrics are really well written and thought out. "Won’t hear no music without vibration, Every little triumph deserves a celebration, Every act of kindness is worth its weight in gold, When I’m with you I’m not afraid of growing old" is definitely my favourite part. Overall a really awesome arrangement. Thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thanks Scott!

Janice
Hello PeterF,

Composition really well built. The vocals are splendid and the lyrics excellent. The very careful arrangement follows a series of pleasant chords. The solo of the guitar very rich in variation. I had a great time listening to your composition. Well done

Kindly regard
Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Good song!

Thanks Dave appreciate the review.

Peter
Great song with a great melody sung by a great voice. Can't ask for more than that. Excellent work, all!
Lovely song performed marvelously by all involved! Janice always boosts a song's appeal when she adds her touch. Loved the playing and effects used on the guitar Peter! Take care, T
Super collaboration!

Well written and performed by all.

You guys rock!!!

moto
Peter, Leon, Bud and Janice,

Sweet collaboration here. The write is really strong and great production work throughout. Love that guitar solo. Got nothing to add here but my admiration for a song well done!
Excellent work folks!!

All my best,

Deej
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Good song!

Thanks Dave! They handed me a real gem that so well describes mine and Bud’s life together!

Janice
Cool. I jumped right in and pushed play when I saw your name, Peter. Then I heard one of my favorite singers. Man, I love the collabs you guys do. Every piece of this masterpiece rings professional. Great job, Peter, Janice & Bud!!!
Whenever you three do a collaboration I know that I am in for some mighty fine ear candy and WOW this is so sweet!

Everything is perfect here. If I didn't know better I would swear this was done in a professional studio, it is that good!

Outstanding work!
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

An excellent BAND. A "radio sound". (one of my favorites from the group - y'all might need to come up with a band name).
And to top it off...might be my favorite Peter guitar work - also has "commercial appeal".

Excellent listen.

fj

I agree with all that!!! I love this kind of philosophical and yet fun lyric!! This is just a fun, feel good song that also has depth.....something for everyone, and so well sung and played!! BRAVO!!!!! Take care. Greg
Nicely done! I like how Leon extended the conceit throughout the song. Feel good all the way. Musically, this is so appealing and right in my listening alley, so to speak. Musicianship, singing, production, all top notch.

Excellent listen.

fj

floyd

All of us at the unnamed group appreciate those encouraging comments.
Thanks a lot.

Peter

Excellent listen.

fj

Thank you! It was fun working up a melody for those lyrics. And fun again singing it.

Janice
Originally Posted By: jannesan
I really admire Leon's songwriting talent, once again simple but deeply touching lyrics, I'm sold for lines like "Some stories finish way, way too soon" and "Some acorns never get to be an old oak tree". And when the story is put to the light pop-rock mold, my favorite genre, I cannot stop listening... modulation and slow down in the end are extra cherries.

Peter's soloing is heartbreakingly beautiful, perfect match for the song. Janice's melody is excellent and her singing remind me strongly of Chrissie Hynde and songs like Back On The Chain Gang and Don't Get Me Wrong.

The mix is so balanced and polished that I surely can see all my flaws reflecting from it. I very rarely repost anything on SoundCloud, but you have once again made me do it, congratulations!

Janne

Janne
Thanks for the wonderful review. We all appreciate those kind words and sentiments.
Very much appreciated.

Peter
Hi Peter,

when I read 'Janice on Lead Vocals' (before listening) that little devil inside whispered, 'Janice on vocals? That's what I call playing it safe.'(I'm sure you will agree on that). But this song stands for itself with great lyrics, Leon, very (!) nice work on the guitarsm perfectly arranged, Peter.

And than Janice who I've admired like no other ever since I heard her for the first time... that fits like a satin glove.

No doubt that this is an ace collab, hats off!

Stay well and take care,

Stefan
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Janice's vocals really stand out here, and the lyrics are really well written and thought out. "Won’t hear no music without vibration, Every little triumph deserves a celebration, Every act of kindness is worth its weight in gold, When I’m with you I’m not afraid of growing old" is definitely my favourite part. Overall a really awesome arrangement. Thanks for sharing!

Ember

Glad you liked it and appreciate the comments.

Peter
All four of your are at the top your respective games on this one. Leon’s lyrics are among his best, Janice nails the melody and gives a perfect vocal performance. Bud’s engineering and mixing input allow Peter to put a terrific production in place. And Peter, your playing is your best performance and the guitar tone was perfect. Topped off with a quality modulation. Wow this one hits all the notes. Way to go, Tom
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello PeterF,

Composition really well built. The vocals are splendid and the lyrics excellent. The very careful arrangement follows a series of pleasant chords. The solo of the guitar very rich in variation. I had a great time listening to your composition. Well done

Kindly regard
Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks a lot for those comments.

Peter
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great song with a great melody sung by a great voice. Can't ask for more than that. Excellent work, all!

Much appreciated.

Peter
Originally Posted By: jannesan

Janne

Thank you Janne. Yes, the write was lovely and Peter’s playing was so emotive. And it was so nice of you to mention Chrissie - wow! Thanks!

Janice
Super song! Outstanding vocals. Great lyrics and melody. Mesmerizing solo guitar work. What a clear sound. Such a great recording and mix. My hat is off to all of you. Bravo!
WOWZA,
I really enjoyed the progression and arrangement.
The Peter guitar is fantastic.
The melody & phrasing combined with THAT voice and THOSE harmonies are fanmazing.
Combined with an excellent narrative this gumbo is EXCELLENT.
My ears must be in freak mode tonight becasue, unusually for J & B, I heard some sibilance in the vocal...the only part that I'd suggest addressing is at 2.21.
Loved it.
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music

Thank you Ember. Those lyrics had me from the first couple of lines!

Janice
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Lovely song performed marvelously by all involved! Janice always boosts a song's appeal when she adds her touch. Loved the playing and effects used on the guitar Peter! Take care, T

Thanks Torrey - I agree Janice transforms the song.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello PeterF,

Kindly regard
Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks for mentioning the vocal!

Janice
Y'all just come up with the sweetest sounding tunes!
And let me tell ya, Janice could sing the phone book and it would sound good! So when you get a song that is put together as well as this one with some really clever analogies.
Yep another keeper.
Great sound
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the listen...
Hello Peter, Leon, Janice and Bud,

This was a very nice example of working together on a song, or cohab. It brought us a very nice song!
Everything fit exactly, while Janices' wonderful voice glued it all togheter. Well done
And the lyrics, what a nice way of telling you love and need someone in your life!

Like (all) others, I enjoyed listening to it,
Hans
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Super collaboration!

You guys rock!!!

moto

Thanks a lot.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Deej56

Sweet collaboration here. The write is really strong and great production work throughout. Love that guitar solo. Got nothing to add here but my admiration for a song well done!
Excellent work folks!!

All my best,

Deej

Thanks a lot Deej appreciate the comment on the solo.

Peter
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger

Thank you!

Janice
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Cool. I jumped right in and pushed play when I saw your name, Peter. Then I heard one of my favorite singers. Man, I love the collabs you guys do. Every piece of this masterpiece rings professional. Great job, Peter, Janice & Bud!!!

Really appreciate those kind words Marty.

Peter
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Whenever you three do a collaboration I know that I am in for some mighty fine ear candy and WOW this is so sweet!

Everything is perfect here. If I didn't know better I would swear this was done in a professional studio, it is that good!

Outstanding work!

Thanks Mario appreciate that.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Super collaboration!

You guys rock!!!

moto

Thanks guys for the nice comments. We appreciate you!

Janice
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Excellent listen.

fj

I agree with all that!!! I love this kind of philosophical and yet fun lyric!! This is just a fun, feel good song that also has depth.....something for everyone, and so well sung and played!! BRAVO!!!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Nicely done! I like how Leon extended the conceit throughout the song. Feel good all the way. Musically, this is so appealing and right in my listening alley, so to speak. Musicianship, singing, production, all top notch.

We appreciate your comments thanks.

Peter
Really really nice song! Great arrangement, loved the vocals, the guitar and the energy!
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Peter,

when I read 'Janice on Lead Vocals' (before listening) that little devil inside whispered, 'Janice on vocals? That's what I call playing it safe.'(I'm sure you will agree on that). But this song stands for itself with great lyrics, Leon, very (!) nice work on the guitarsm perfectly arranged, Peter.

And than Janice who I've admired like no other ever since I heard her for the first time... that fits like a satin glove.

Stay well and take care,

Stefan

Stefan
We really appreciate such nice comments. Hope all is well.

Peter
Beautiful song. Great songwriting. Lovely guitars and vocals. Nice mix. You all did a great job together.
As others have said - everything comes together nicely here.

Time to find a name for the group and release some 45s! wink
Originally Posted By: tommyad
All four of your are at the top your respective games on this one. Leon’s lyrics are among his best, Janice nails the melody and gives a perfect vocal performance. Bud’s engineering and mixing input allow Peter to put a terrific production in place. And Peter, your playing is your best performance and the guitar tone was perfect. Topped off with a quality modulation. Wow this one hits all the notes. Way to go, Tom

Thanks Tom. We all appreciate your comments and ongoing support.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Deej56

Excellent work folks!!

All my best,

Deej

Thanks. Glad it worked for you!

J&B
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Super song! Outstanding vocals. Great lyrics and melody. Mesmerizing solo guitar work. What a clear sound. Such a great recording and mix. My hat is off to all of you. Bravo!

Thanks for those kind words.

Peter

Originally Posted By: rayc
WOWZA,
The melody & phrasing combined with THAT voice and THOSE harmonies are fanmazing.
My ears must be in freak mode tonight becasue, unusually for J & B, I heard some sibilance in the vocal...the only part that I'd suggest addressing is at 2.21.
Loved it.

Thanks Ray always appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Bawb
And let me tell ya, Janice could sing the phone book and it would sound good! So when you get a song that is put together as well as this one with some really clever analogies.
Yep another keeper.
Great sound

Much appreciated.

Peter
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic

Originally Posted By: MarioD

Outstanding work!

Thanks. Yep, Peter did a great job with the production!

Janice
Originally Posted By: Birchwood

This was a very nice example of working together on a song, or cohab. It brought us a very nice song!
Everything fit exactly, while Janices' wonderful voice glued it all togheter. Well done
And the lyrics, what a nice way of telling you love and need someone in your life!

Hans

Thanks Han, Janice has a wonderful knack of transforming songs.
Peter
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Excellent listen.

fj

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm

Thanks you two for mentioning my vocal. I appreciate it!

Janice
Hi All ...

WOW! What a great song in all respects! Sounds better than about 100% of what I'm hearing on the airwaves these days. Noy gonna parse it out except to specifically mention the key modulation ... loved it!

Everyone did their part as good as could be done. very commercial and true ear candy!

Best to all of you. Take care and be safe. Happy Thanksgiving ...

Alan
Originally Posted By: Angelomusic
Really really nice song! Great arrangement, loved the vocals, the guitar and the energy!

Appreciate the comments.

Peter
Hi Peter + J&B,

Simply beautiful.

Heartfelt lyrics with a wonderful heartfelt delivery by Janice.
Loved the harmony, Janice - perfect sync too, which I know takes a lot of work.

Super tasteful guitar work Peter and some professional engineering Bud.

Loved it.

ROG.
Originally Posted By: TexasFrets
Beautiful song. Great songwriting. Lovely guitars and vocals. Nice mix. You all did a great job together.

Thanks we all appreciate that.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Peter,

Stay well and take care,

Stefan

Stefan, that is very kind of you to say that. Your support is hugely appreciated! And never taken for granted.

Thank you,
Janice
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Thanks David

Peter
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi All ...

WOW! What a great song in all respects! Sounds better than about 100% of what I'm hearing on the airwaves these days. Noy gonna parse it out except to specifically mention the key modulation ... loved it!

Everyone did their part as good as could be done. very commercial and true ear candy!

Alan

Alan thanks for the very kind review. Hope you are both doing well.

Peter
Peter and Crew,
Excellent tune!
I can easily recognize Leon's signature lyrics. Janice did a grand job on swinging this out. This is probably first time I heard her sing in this genre. Peter, very good guitars, powerful solo and licks. Bud, I can only guess. Very good mix, production and message!! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Originally Posted By: tommyad

Tom, thanks for all you said and I appreciate the mention of my melody!

Janice

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt

Thank you and like you I was captivated by Peter’s solos.

Janice
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Peter + J&B,

Simply beautiful.

Loved it.

ROG.

Thanks Rog, always a pleasure to work with Janice & Bud.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Peter and Crew,
Excellent tune!
I can easily recognize Leon's signature lyrics. Janice did a grand job on swinging this out. This is probably first time I heard her sing in this genre. Peter, very good guitars, powerful solo and licks. Bud, I can only guess. Very good mix, production and message!! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Appreciate the review Misha.

Peter
Originally Posted By: rayc
WOWZA,
Loved it.

Ray, I much appreciate your comments on my vocal and it was nice of you to mention the melody. Bud said that sibilance could’ve been a result of a new multiband compressor he’s using. We will check it out. Thanks again for all.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Bawb
Yep another keeper.
Great sound

Thanks for listening and saying that about my vocal!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Birchwood

Hans

Thanks Hans. I always appreciate your comments!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Angelomusic

Thank you!

Janice
Originally Posted By: TexasFrets

Thank you!

Janice

Originally Posted By: dcuny

No, no, not another band! smile smile

Thank you!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi All ...

Alan

Thanks Al!

Janice
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Peter + J&B,

Simply beautiful.

Loved it.

ROG.

Thanks Rog! Peter gets all the credit for the mix. He did a wonderful job with the production.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Peter and Crew,
Excellent tune!

Misha.

Misha, thanks you very much for your comments about my vocal!

Janice
© PG Music Forums