PG Music Home
Posted By: Deej56 My Door Is Open - 11/13/20 02:58 AM
Hi, all:

Here’s a collaboration with John Vaughan, who wrote the lyrics. Perhaps a little out of my genre, but fun nonetheless donning some Johnny Cash blacks. Hope you enjoy the listen!

Regards,

Deej

Here’s the song:

MY DOOR IS OPEN

Here are the lyrics:

My door is open
if you're passing by, stop in.
It’s not a palace but
a warm welcome waits within
There's a bench outside
we can sit for a spell.
A bottomless coffee pot
for the tales we got to tell.

My door is open—
it’s been for a long long time.
Not a day passes here
when you're not on my mind.
The well in the garden
is full of nickels and dimes.
I make a wish each day
that you'll come my way
and spare me your sweet time.

The puppy’s full grown;
he’s a rascal for sure.
But he's great company—
he keeps one eye on the door. 
You oughta visit,
come by not just for me.
I’m sure he's not forgotten you—
why not drop by and see? 

My door is open,
our chairs are by the stove.
For some folk it’s always shut,
for you it’s never closed.
The kitchen is so cozy,
we can sit for a spell.
I’ve got a bottle of whiskey—
Oh, the stories we could tell.

The puppy’s full grown;
he’s a rascal for sure.
But he's great company—
he keeps one eye on the door. 
You oughta visit,
come by not just for me.
I’m sure he's not forgotten you—
why not drop by and see?

My door is open--
it’s been for a long long time.
Not a day passes here
when you're not on my mind.
The well in the garden
is full of nickels and dimes.
I make a wish each day
that you'll come my way
and spare me your sweet time.

And here’s the band:

RealTracks 2421: Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySlapBoomChicka Ev16 100
RealTracks 2678: Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm BluesSw16GrooveBrent Sw16 085
RealTracks 2422: Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm BoomChickaRootFiveBrent Ev16 100
RealTracks 626: Harmonica, Background Travis
RealTracks 820: Mandolin Soloist Bluegrass Ev 100
RealDrums: Nashville2Beat^01-a:Sidestick , b:Snare, Ride
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: My Door Is Open - 11/13/20 11:27 AM
What a nice, wholesome song smile It has a cozy feeling to it, very warm delivery and production. John Vaughan did a good job with the lyrics. Good groove too, got my toe tapping from the get go. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: My Door Is Open - 11/13/20 11:56 AM
Deej,

Nice job on this. Good choice of instruments and a good mix. Vocals sound great.

A good listen

fj
Posted By: Belladonna Re: My Door Is Open - 11/13/20 01:22 PM
Love the upbeat country vibe. Actually it's really a sweet, cute song. Nice lyrics as well as DJ's vocals accents make it all the better.
Posted By: jannesan Re: My Door Is Open - 11/13/20 02:07 PM
Very nice upbeat song, positive waiting - not usual "baby come back" type of a song, good idea to have a puppy there too smile Very nice authentic band of the 50s. First I thought that Elvis has come back, reminded me him singing That's All Right, nicely some Elvis and other small finesses in your voice too.

Janne
Posted By: musician17 Re: My Door Is Open - 11/13/20 03:59 PM
Ok. First impressions:

When I heard the chromatic "bend" you applied to that C / C# note at the beginning, I didn't know if we were in A major or A minor at first :-) Loved it, loved that ambiguity that didn't let me settle at first into something "convenient".

The banjo solo (or whatever that plucked instrument is) is wonderful.

Now that we got all that out of the way: this is, on a first listen at least, top level Deej. I am lucky enough to have followed your song postings on here from the very beginning (I don't think I've missed one - at least, I hope not!). This is right up there. There have been, as with everyone, some songs of yours that I have preferred to some others (just a matter of personal taste, of course) - but they are all, without exception, at the top level and this is one of the top amongst the tops, if that makes sense. Great lyrics, too! which you bring out wonderfully.

Ok, time for a second listen - let's see what I notice :-)

Forget Johnny Cash, etc. - your voice is so individually unique, it defies categorisation and yet bears instant recognition - that's Deej, I could spot you from miles away :-) Love that rhythm in the background that's so typically Cash, though - but which you, again, have made your own.

The "puppy" lyric is genius :-)

You are a musician of supreme skill and - crucially - supreme class, my friend. Can't genuinely praise you enough. Those chromatic colours you bring to the song alone are worth the "asking price". It takes something to sing like this. Hats off a million times.

You took a Johnny Cash-like style and made it into your own - it holds its own alongside any song of that style and then some. MORE, please :-) haha ... well done.

P.S. on reading back my feedback, I realise I wasn't very technical with it. But that's just me - I hate to nitpick at a piece and "analyse" it technically, especially when it's so well done as this one. It's like picking at a flower - it destroys its beauty, I feel. So I'm sorry that I don't give you a technical analysis - I'll leave that to someone else - but I do appreciate the work you've put into this and the quality of the end result - and that'll have to do, haha :-) Well done once more.
Posted By: vicarn Re: My Door Is Open - 11/13/20 04:15 PM
Hi Deej. Apart from the vocal which is definitely your own, in the beginning I thought you were going for a JC impression. Yo made it your own though.

Vic
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: My Door Is Open - 11/13/20 04:58 PM
Love it, Deej & John. Fine lyrics and a soaring vocal. Good choice of instruments, and arrangement.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: My Door Is Open - 11/13/20 08:33 PM
Just the right presentation for this one!! Love the simple clicking beat which is just where it should be. Lyrics are very fun, natural, and the vocal is GREAT!! REALLY Well done!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: rayc Re: My Door Is Open - 11/13/20 08:56 PM
Rather than Cash my 1st association was Melanie's Brand New key.
That's partly your voice and partly some tiny melodic similarity.
It's a cool song and a nice lyric that works a treat.
I was a little taken aback by the
"if you're passing by, stop in.
a warm welcome waits within" 'rhyme' as it was early in the song and avoidable but I think that's just the curmudgeon in me.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: My Door Is Open - 11/13/20 09:23 PM
Your voice is in top form in this performance. I enjoy this style, and you did it mighty fine. Kudos to John for a great set of lyrics.
Posted By: Scott C Re: My Door Is Open - 11/13/20 11:59 PM
I saw this popup earlier and had a listen. Very cool song. Got a little Johnny Cash vibe. super vocal and lyric. Well done
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: My Door Is Open - 11/14/20 04:42 AM
Some great lyrics and that incredible voice made for an excellent listen. Liked the harmonica among many things in this track. Great work.
Posted By: Chris37 Re: My Door Is Open - 11/14/20 05:33 AM
Hi Deej,
Your voice fits very well with this style of music.
This is a nice song ! Christian
Posted By: dcuny Re: My Door Is Open - 11/14/20 05:49 AM
Clever write! As mentioned, the puppy lyric was inspired.

Good production, enjoyable vocals. laugh
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: My Door Is Open - 11/14/20 07:32 PM
Yes it has a man in black sound but DeeJ your vocals give it a whole new twist! Very fine work! Enjoyed it! T
Posted By: tommyad Re: My Door Is Open - 11/15/20 07:13 PM
Very catchy! Nice lyrics and another terrific vocal performance. Deej, your unique tone and style is immediately identifiable and so pleasing to the ear it’s impossible not to like this one. You are very talented and I really enjoyed it, Tom
Posted By: Leon1 Re: My Door Is Open - 11/16/20 02:06 AM
Excellent collaboration, guys. Fine lyrics, really well sung, and set to a toe tapping rockabilly rhythm. Love it.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Deej56 Re: My Door Is Open - 11/16/20 11:38 PM
Deryk, Floyd, Belladonna, Janne, musician17, Vic, Marty, Greg, rayc, Ezekiel, Scott, TuneMonger, Chris, David, Torrey, tommyad, and Leon:

Thank you all for the listen and for chiming in with the great feedback. So happy everything seemed to work well for you all. Again, a little out of my element, but it was a lot of fun to play with. John’s lyrics were so well put together from the start . . . and, yes, the “puppy bridge” was, for me, just the the right tone for the song.

Hope you are all doing well, and staying safe!

My best to you each,

Deej

P.S. rayc: You know, I never even noticed the "in" / "within" rhyme until you mentioned it--surprising because I generally look to avoid that if I can. Perhaps because it expressed, for me at least, just the write sentiment that with the music it never stood out for me. Dunno--but a fair point.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: My Door Is Open - 11/17/20 12:43 AM
Yes sir, this has a Johnny Cash feel. Good story. Vocals are good and clear. Well done. The band has the rhythm down perfectly.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: My Door Is Open - 11/17/20 10:53 AM
A very nice song, well-arranged and sung.Excellent mix.Enjoyed thelisten!

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: My Door Is Open - 11/17/20 10:01 PM
Nice write!
Everything comes together beautifully.
As always, fantastic vocals.

moto
Posted By: Bawb Re: My Door Is Open - 11/17/20 11:32 PM
Okay Deej56, it's time to come clean...

You really didn't die on that plane on February 3, 1959 did you Charles Hardin Holley or would you rather be called by your nickname "Buddy"...

Excellent use of the Band and the lyrics match up with the genre. Also your vocals, like I said... I'm onto you. The jig is up cat...
Posted By: Birchwood Re: My Door Is Open - 11/18/20 08:32 AM
Hi Deej,

I had to laugh when reading the post above from Bawd, because I was thinking about your song and the similarity with the song from that guy Bawd said it could be your nickname.
It's a nice swinging song and you performed very well. The band is also very good and I liked these lyrics very much; a nice rhyme and a lovely story with that puppy 'in the middle'.
I don't have to mention the quality of your voice. I did that all times before. Nothing changed on that!

Hans
Posted By: John vaughan Re: My Door Is Open - 11/21/20 09:25 AM
Just a note to thank you for your all comments on the song, a special thanks to Dave for all the work.
We got some good news that the BBC are playing the song tonight (Saturday 21st)
Only a regional BBC station but sometimes the songs chosen for the show are picked at national level.
Thanks again for all your positive reviews.
Regards
John Vaughan
Posted By: Derochette Re: My Door Is Open - 11/21/20 12:14 PM
Hello Deej56,

It's nice to hear warm lyrics on country music where the banjo has its place. A lively composition that is very pleasant to listen to.

Kindly regard
Dero13
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: PeterF Re: My Door Is Open - 11/21/20 07:59 PM
Deej

Enjoyed the old rockabilly Cash like vibe, beautifully sung, and a wonderful melody.

Excellent.

Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: My Door Is Open - 11/21/20 11:43 PM
Good old rockabilly with Johnny Cash's bass player, Scotty Moore on guitar, and Buddy Holly singing. The million dollar trio!

Seriously, this is one fantastic song. Everything is spot on. You have me grooving with you at the first measure.

Excellent vocal,backing tracks and mix.

I liked this a lot!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: My Door Is Open - 11/23/20 06:20 PM
Yep the Cash vibe is there in the backing tracks but the vocal is all DeeJ.

And man you nailed it ... great melody and phrasing.

Great write from the first line through the last. Lawdy, hate to
use the word but "catchy" it is indeed.

A big ole kudos to you both!

J&B
Posted By: Deej56 Re: My Door Is Open - 11/29/20 11:59 PM
jpt3, stefan, CaptainMoto, Bawb, Hans, Dero, Peter, Mario and J&B:

Apologies for the delayed reply. I was finally able to get away for some vacation time in Hawaii—the first since the whole COVID thing started. Nice to get away from the house, but downside is I left you folks hanging with my thanks and appreciation for the listen. I figured this would be reminiscent of a lots of what’s been done, given it’s basically a 1, 4, 5—but glad the vocal and melody gave it it some uniqueness. Glad you all enjoyed, and thanks again for the spin.

My best to you all,

Deej
© PG Music Forums