PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad Lighthouse - 11/28/20 11:38 PM
If you’ve never heard a Rock Ballad about getting older, well here’s one…

https://soundcloud.com/tommyad/lighthouse

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/track/2538697/lighthouse

RealTracks in style: 1592:Bass, Electric, Pop16ths Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~2504:Piano, Acoustic, HeldChords 060
RealTracks in song: 1542:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1602:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16 Ev16 065
Royalty Free Loops
Recorded in Logic Pro X
Plug Ins : Nectar 2, Neutron 2, Ozone 8, Tonal Balance, Waves LinMB, Waves, L3-LL Multi Limiter, Scuffam Amps S-Gear, Waves Vocal Rider

Vocals, Electric Guitars, Tom Adams

Lighthouse

I found a yellowed photograph
Wow we looked like we were kids
I sure don’t know why it moved me but it did

There’s some rocks out on the point
long ago she sat there
now the shadows have gone away
Revealing silver in her hair

Out on the bay the water seems so calm
Ain’t a cloud in sight but you know it won’t be long
there won’t always be days as perfect as this
or crystal clear memory of that very first kiss

i wish we had a lighthouse something we could trust
pointing to safe waters protecting us
there’s times that all i wished for was to never be alone
Now i wish we had a lighthouse to guide us home

We sit here in silence
there’s nothing left to say
There’s a comfort in my knowing
I can go back to that day

So I put that yellowed photograph
into some old metal frame
and placed it down beside her
so she can do the same

Out on the bay the water seems so calm
Ain’t a cloud in sight but you know it won’t be long
there won’t always be days as perfect as this
or crystal clear memory of that very first kiss

i wish we had a lighthouse something we could trust
Now i wish we had a lighthouse to guide us home

©2020 Thomas Adams
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Lighthouse - 11/29/20 04:44 PM

Great song and sound Tommy. Love the solo. Sounds like Gilmour.

smile
Posted By: PeterF Re: Lighthouse - 11/29/20 06:43 PM
Tom

Excellent song, touching, and well sung.
Loved the song structure and the absolutely huge sounding guitars.
The guitar playing throughout was exceptional and the solo was great and loved the intro.

Superb.

Peter
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Lighthouse - 11/29/20 08:29 PM
Great song. Polished performance.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Lighthouse - 11/29/20 08:49 PM
There's something about yellowed photographs and paper that I actually really like. I once found a collection of really, really old photos from over 100 years old and got to see some ancestors of mine through those photos. This was a really neat song and it made me a bit nostalgic for my mom's photo collection, so thanks for sharing!
Posted By: rayc Re: Lighthouse - 11/29/20 09:43 PM
The 1st minutes is VERY bright and the solo guitar almost took it to ice pick land. After that minutes things seem to round the edges a little and the listening became more comfortable though, occasionally, the arpeggio guitar becomes a little brittle.
It's a lovely song and your personal playing really lifts the whole thing to another level.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Lighthouse - 11/29/20 10:49 PM
Hi Tom
I read the lyrics (which are very good) before listening. The finished product is a little less ballad and a lot more rock than I imagined while reading the words, but it sure works. Great vocal as per usual and the guitar work is super tasty.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Lighthouse - 11/30/20 12:04 AM
Tommy,

Really clean, magnetic rock sound to this—the opening is great. Nice build to the chorus, which is wonderfully written. Your vocal, which is solid, gives this a bit more of a country rock feel to me, though the base is solid rock . . . and that solo totally slays. Really good work, Tommy. Enjoyed this a lot.

Regards,

Deej
Posted By: P Glaser Re: Lighthouse - 11/30/20 12:21 AM
Very nice guitar tones, Tommy!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Lighthouse - 11/30/20 01:03 PM
Tom,

Great opening. The acoustic vs. the big electric chord is sweeeet!

An excellent write. Nice chord progression.

"i wish we had a lighthouse something we could trust
Now i wish we had a lighthouse to guide us home"

Nice.

Excellent tracks - as always. Excellent mix - as always.

Your vocals are always terrific. Solid. Nice guitar work.

A joy to listen to.

fj
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Lighthouse - 11/30/20 01:08 PM
You're making my cry.
Great write, well delivered!

Good one!

moto
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Lighthouse - 11/30/20 01:53 PM
Hi Tommy,

wow, what a blast. Just love it from start to finish. First of all a great write (which of us old farts couldn't relate...), the song itself is marvellous and your vocal stands out, wow. Overwhelming sound, very clever choice of backing tracks. AND THAT SOLO IS AWESOME !!!!!

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 11/30/20 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Great song and sound Tommy. Love the solo. Sounds like Gilmour.

smile
Thanks David. I appreciate you stopping by, Tom
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Lighthouse - 11/30/20 06:33 PM
Hi Tom .
You tell an interesting story , captivating arrangement,mix and of course your guitar playing is exemplary. I can relate to your search for that "lighthouse". Entertaining listen.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/01/20 08:58 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom

Excellent song, touching, and well sung.
Loved the song structure and the absolutely huge sounding guitars.
The guitar playing throughout was exceptional and the solo was great and loved the intro.

Superb.

Peter
Thank you Peter for your support. I always am glad when you stop by and comment, Tom
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Lighthouse - 12/01/20 12:09 PM
Great song, Tom. Simultaneously sad & happy sentiments crash upon the shore, and there WILL BE a lighthouse guiding us home. Love the song idea, and the changes really bring out the story. Excellent vocal, too!!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Lighthouse - 12/01/20 05:37 PM
"So I put that yellowed photograph
so she can do the same"

Wow! This is a tremendous write and that slight edge of ambiguity about her throughout the lyric takes it to another level. All of the imagery is remarkably engaging.

And the arrangement is amazing. The build is absolutely one of the best we've heard.

Then we get to the vocal and guitar performances both of which are described by Janice as "passionate and soaring." Bud adds the words soulful and tasteful.

Man, that outro is anthemic.

The mix? We’ve run out of superlatives. Dynamic and polished with the perfect soundstage.

Well done Mr Adams! A showcase on the showcase.

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/02/20 08:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Great song. Polished performance.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Tom
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
There's something about yellowed photographs and paper that I actually really like. I once found a collection of really, really old photos from over 100 years old and got to see some ancestors of mine through those photos. This was a really neat song and it made me a bit nostalgic for my mom's photo collection, so thanks for sharing!
Ember, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. Unfortunately yellowed photographs will soon be from a day gone by. Digital never fades. Tom
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Lighthouse - 12/02/20 11:10 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Great song, Tom. Simultaneously sad & happy sentiments crash upon the shore, and there WILL BE a lighthouse guiding us home. Love the song idea, and the changes really bring out the story. Excellent vocal, too!!

Marty pretty much summed it up for me I think. In addition the the write and the vocal, that solo guitar work is fabulous.

As good as it gets I think, Tom, just top notch from start to finish.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Lighthouse - 12/02/20 11:28 AM
Excellent song, top=notch production. I especially liked the minor chord that you used at the end of the verse "very first kiss"--gave lots of dimension to the melody. Really glad I checked in to listen!
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Lighthouse - 12/02/20 05:16 PM
Your writing sure has a cohesiveness to it. It's like every instrument, lyric, and production choice are really working together to say something. The lyrics have the words, but all of it is giving it meaning. REALLY well done!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/03/20 09:21 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
The 1st minutes is VERY bright and the solo guitar almost took it to ice pick land. After that minutes things seem to round the edges a little and the listening became more comfortable though, occasionally, the arpeggio guitar becomes a little brittle.
It's a lovely song and your personal playing really lifts the whole thing to another level.
Ray, after reading a lot of your comments to other songs I have come to the conclusion that you have highly developed listening skills and a fine ear. (Especially for sibilance and highs) My hearing is very compromised and I lost the highs years ago. I try to adjust for that by using Tone Balance as a visual aid and it usually does well. Everything is where it should be on the scale. I check my mixes with two vastly different headphones, Yamaha monitors, and a Bose system in the truck. There seems to be no doubt that you are hearing something that I am not. I value your input and have been de essing a lot of my vocals since following some of your comments. I will continue to pay attention to the highs in future productions. Thank you pointing this out and for all your fine observations. Tom. PS I’m just an old tele player that can burn the hair off a dogs ears at fifty paces!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Lighthouse - 12/03/20 01:47 PM
Getting older is a subject everyone can relate to, here a well written image that won't yellow.

Great rock ballad sound and vocals.

Enjoyable chording, I especially like the one before the powerful chorus. Excellent solo and the rising ending is also very nice.

Janne
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/03/20 11:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Tom
I read the lyrics (which are very good) before listening. The finished product is a little less ballad and a lot more rock than I imagined while reading the words, but it sure works. Great vocal as per usual and the guitar work is super tasty.
Regards,
Leon
Hey Leon, I’m glad you liked the lyrics. Thanks for the nice words,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/03/20 11:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Tommy,

Really clean, magnetic rock sound to this—the opening is great. Nice build to the chorus, which is wonderfully written. Your vocal, which is solid, gives this a bit more of a country rock feel to me, though the base is solid rock . . . and that solo totally slays. Really good work, Tommy. Enjoyed this a lot.

Regards,

Deej
Thank you Deej. I am a fan of your work and I appreciate you stopping by,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/04/20 09:11 AM
Originally Posted By: P Glaser
Very nice guitar tones, Tommy!
Paul, it’s great to hear from you again. I appreciate that you took the time to listen and comment,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/04/20 02:42 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom,

Great opening. The acoustic vs. the big electric chord is sweeeet!

An excellent write. Nice chord progression.

"i wish we had a lighthouse something we could trust
Now i wish we had a lighthouse to guide us home"

Nice.

Excellent tracks - as always. Excellent mix - as always.

Your vocals are always terrific. Solid. Nice guitar work.

A joy to listen to.

fj

Thanks for the great review. It’s appreciated,Tom
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Lighthouse - 12/04/20 03:49 PM
I love it..... really nice guitar tone. Insightful song lyrics.

This took me back 40 plus years to those first few moments when I met my wife. That first touch, that first kiss, and all the years we have been each other's lighthouse, and harbor in the storms of life... Wonderful job.

Thanks for writing that.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/05/20 09:14 AM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
You're making my cry.
Great write, well delivered!

Good one!

moto
I’m glad you felt something. Thanks for the nice words,Tom
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Tommy,

wow, what a blast. Just love it from start to finish. First of all a great write (which of us old farts couldn't relate...), the song itself is marvellous and your vocal stands out, wow. Overwhelming sound, very clever choice of backing tracks. AND THAT SOLO IS AWESOME !!!!!

Take care,

Stefan
Thanks for giving it a spin and for the wonderful comments,Tom
Posted By: Chris Dent Re: Lighthouse - 12/05/20 06:47 PM
What a great song. Excellent production. Love the solo - so much feeling.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Lighthouse - 12/05/20 08:54 PM
I like your guitar work on this. It's the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Chorus is strong and memorable.

I can identify with your song.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Lighthouse - 12/05/20 11:31 PM
Love the write - nice emotional build through the song, great payoff at the chorus.

Tied with a killer sound, it doesn't get much better than this. laugh
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/06/20 08:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Hi Tom .
You tell an interesting story , captivating arrangement,mix and of course your guitar playing is exemplary. I can relate to your search for that "lighthouse". Entertaining listen.
Gary, I’m glad you liked it. Thanks for your very thoughtful comments,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/06/20 06:11 PM
Hey Marty, I’m really glad you liked it. Thanks,Tom
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Lighthouse - 12/06/20 08:24 PM
Really great song Tommy......great anthem for all of us aging souls!! I recently wrote something with similar reflections. Love EVERYTHING about this!! Really nice changes! Guitar solo is absolutely stunning!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/07/20 11:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"So I put that yellowed photograph
so she can do the same"

Wow! This is a tremendous write and that slight edge of ambiguity about her throughout the lyric takes it to another level. All of the imagery is remarkably engaging.

And the arrangement is amazing. The build is absolutely one of the best we've heard.

Then we get to the vocal and guitar performances both of which are described by Janice as "passionate and soaring." Bud adds the words soulful and tasteful.

Man, that outro is anthemic.

The mix? We’ve run out of superlatives. Dynamic and polished with the perfect soundstage.

Well done Mr Adams! A showcase on the showcase.

J&B
This is easily one of the best reviews I’ve ever gotten. Your continued support means more to me than you know,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/07/20 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Marty pretty much summed it up for me I think. In addition the the write and the vocal, that solo guitar work is fabulous.

As good as it gets I think, Tom, just top notch from start to finish.
Thanks Dave. Glad you liked it,Tom
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Excellent song, top=notch production. I especially liked the minor chord that you used at the end of the verse "very first kiss"--gave lots of dimension to the melody. Really glad I checked in to listen!
Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate the nice words, Tom
Posted By: Scott C Re: Lighthouse - 12/07/20 11:40 PM
What what a big sound Tommy. Very cool intro. Awesome vocal and lyric. Very relatable. Guitar solo was breathtaking. So well done Tommy..
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/08/20 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Your writing sure has a cohesiveness to it. It's like every instrument, lyric, and production choice are really working together to say something. The lyrics have the words, but all of it is giving it meaning. REALLY well done!
Hey there Madman , I’m glad you stopped by. Thanks for the fine review,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/09/20 09:12 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Getting older is a subject everyone can relate to, here a well written image that won't yellow.

Great rock ballad sound and vocals.

Enjoyable chording, I especially like the one before the powerful chorus. Excellent solo and the rising ending is also very nice.

Janne
Janne, thanks for coming by and leaving the very nice comments. I appreciate it,Tom
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I love it..... really nice guitar tone. Insightful song lyrics.

This took me back 40 plus years to those first few moments when I met my wife. That first touch, that first kiss, and all the years we have been each other's lighthouse, and harbor in the storms of life... Wonderful job.

Thanks for writing that.
Herb, I am very glad that it touched you. After all that is why we write. Thanks much,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/10/20 09:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Chris Dent
What a great song. Excellent production. Love the solo - so much feeling.
Chris, thanks for giving it a spin. I appreciate your kind comments,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/11/20 09:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I like your guitar work on this. It's the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Chorus is strong and memorable.

I can identify with your song.
Thanks for continuing to listen to my songs. I’m grateful,Tom
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Love the write - nice emotional build through the song, great payoff at the chorus.

Tied with a killer sound, it doesn't get much better than this. laugh
David, Thank you for the great review,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/12/20 08:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really great song Tommy......great anthem for all of us aging souls!! I recently wrote something with similar reflections. Love EVERYTHING about this!! Really nice changes! Guitar solo is absolutely stunning!! Take care. Greg
Greg, it’s great to hear from you. Thanks for this fantastic review,Tom
Originally Posted By: Scott C
What what a big sound Tommy. Very cool intro. Awesome vocal and lyric. Very relatable. Guitar solo was breathtaking. So well done Tommy..
Scott , I was hoping you would like the guitars, Tom
Posted By: dani48 Re: Lighthouse - 12/12/20 10:47 AM
Hi, Tommy !

This one is again proof of
what highly professional
musician you are !

everything about this marvelous
tune is absolutely superb
I want to congrat you for this
masterpiece !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Lighthouse - 12/12/20 11:58 AM
hi Tommy really excellent work on this great vocal awesome guitar work perfect mix thanks for sharing Eric
Posted By: tommyad Re: Lighthouse - 12/13/20 09:21 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Tommy !

This one is again proof of
what highly professional
musician you are !

everything about this marvelous
tune is absolutely superb
I want to congrat you for this
masterpiece !

Cheers
Dani
Dani, it’s nice to hear from you again. Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi Tommy really excellent work on this great vocal awesome guitar work perfect mix thanks for sharing Eric
Eric, I appreciate the thoughtful comments,Tom
© PG Music Forums