PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane A Better Me - 12/02/20 01:16 PM
I lost count of the number of songs I've written a long time ago.
I would guess close to a thousand?
(several hundreds of those have been thrown away)
All considered, this is a personal favorite.

I asked Janice to join me for a harmony.

A BETTER ME

i wish there was a way to explain
why i left without a word
but i live in a constant rain
i hear devils even god ain't heard
i couldn't be the man you needed
or the one i thought that i should be
so i thumbed a ride to this start over town
thinking i might find a beter me

a better me
   i need to shake this strange
   a better me
   'cause something needs to change
   and i'm willin' i'm hopin'
   i'm praying to see
   that winnin' hand
   a better me

i found steady work as a driller
it should last far as i can tell
soul drummin', mind numbin' 12 hour shifts
pulling oil up from somewhere in hell
got an open invitaion from the lutheran peacher
told him we'll just have to wait'n'see
i've actually considered showing up on sunday
thinking i might find a beter me

a better me
   i need to shake this strange
   a better me
   'cause something needs to change
   i'm willin' i'm hopin'
   i'm praying to see
   a miracle
   a better me

i'm willin' i'm hopin'
   i'm praying to see
   a miracle
   a better me

The BAND:

RealTracks in style: ~~2477:Bass, Acoustic, HeldSimple Sw 085
RealTracks in style: 2441:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking HipFolk Sw16 85
RealTracks in song: 2952:Strings, Rhythm JazzBalladPads Sw 060
RealTracks in song: 2558:Cello, Background SlowSwing Sw 065
RealTracks in song: 2543 Pedal Steel, Background ModernCrossover Sw16 090.
RealDrums in style: NashvilleSwing16^5-a:Sidestick, Hihat , b:Snare, Hihat

harmony: Janice Merritt (Thanks, Sis!!)

Me: words & music, vocals, acoustic lead, production/arrangement/mix, art work

One of the RT players seemed to enjoy this.
Hope you do as well...
Comments welcome.

fj
Posted By: musician17 Re: A Better Me - 12/02/20 01:28 PM
You are a genius and no mistake, sir. "I live in a constant rain / I heard devils even God ain't heard" - wow. Hits hard but perfectly bullseye, so to speak, right in the heart.

So the lyrics are incredible. Your rendition of them is extraordinary, too. "I'm hoping". "as a driller". Your vocal inflexion on these (particularly on the first one) ... that's a musician's musician's inflexion :-)

The music is so melodic, and you just tell the story through it. I almost wanted to cry on the first listen.

What a great rendition. One of your personal favourites? Darn straight - one of mine, too. One of, if not indeed your best that I've heard so far on this forum.

Janice ... beautiful understated harmonies that add just the right amount of colour to the song.

A classic that I want to hear again and again. Well done.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: A Better Me - 12/02/20 01:55 PM
I've hanging out here for a few months and I always look forward to your contributions.
They are all good, this one is right up there for me.

Well written and performed.
Janice's addition is brilliant, fits perfectly!

Wonderful mix.

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: A Better Me - 12/02/20 01:57 PM
I've hanging out here for a few months and I always look forward to your contributions.

What's that little whisper at the end?

Wonderful mix.

moto
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: A Better Me - 12/02/20 05:01 PM
Ya know, based on your last song, I thought I knew EXACTLY who you are as an artist. Now this comes at me WAY out of left field. wink

Great contrast of the verse and chorus...so, well balanced. The movement and build of the instruments shows someone knows there craft. Additionally heighted by sprinkling some instrument fills in here and there. Brilliant.

Quote:

This was KILLER!

I really enjoy this song all the way around.
Posted By: Derochette Re: A Better Me - 12/02/20 05:47 PM
Hello Floyd Jane,

What I admire about you is your lyrics close to everyday reality with memories of a life that we have lived or that we could have lived and that we would have liked better. The melody is splendid. The timbre of the voice is full of emotion. I appreciated. Well done.

Kindly regard

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlah
Posted By: rayc Re: A Better Me - 12/02/20 06:46 PM
Love the acoustic lead parts...they carry your personality even deeper into the song.
Lovely lyrics, lovelier melody.
Wonderful harmony, (it's a Janice morning clearly), and clear, clean arrangement.
The player on the end 's whisper is perfect.
The ONLY not is the click in the kick which, to me, stands out too much in the sparse intro.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: A Better Me - 12/02/20 08:48 PM
"i hear devils even god ain't heard." That has got to be one of the all-time best lyric lines ever written.

Strong and emotion-filled vocal performance. The melody shines.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: A Better Me - 12/02/20 10:28 PM
Hi Floyd.
Easy to see why this is a favourite. Wonderful storytelling, great melody and excellent vocal. Love the acoustic lead. Janice's harmony is the icing on the cake.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: A Better Me - 12/02/20 11:01 PM
Some of the best lyrics I've heard from you, and they fit so naturally into the very good melody. Loved the strings' contribution to the mood, and the singing was excellent, of course.

Listened multiple times, it was that good.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: A Better Me - 12/03/20 12:56 AM
Nice song. Lovely harmonies between you and Janice. Great lyrics. Good guitar licks during the bridge. The band was smooth too. Good work to all.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: A Better Me - 12/03/20 01:38 AM
No-one can write a blue ribbon "heart on sleeve " autobiographical song like you can Floyd. Another radio ready gem from the FJ University of Audio Excellence. I wish you would post one of those 700 discarded songs just to show some empathy to us mere mortals.
Because your productions are so flawless it is easy to overlook the fact that you are a very high quality vocalist. You are the whole nine yards.

p.s. Please tell us (me) a little about your intriguing art.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: A Better Me - 12/03/20 01:43 AM
Floyd,

I read the write earlier in the day today and was eager to come back and hear what you did with it. The lyric is stellar, with some killer lines. Like musician17 noted, the “devils even god ain’t heard” is just brilliant.

The listen didn’t disappoint. Love the stripped feel to it—it would be easy to do to much on a lyric like this. Simple arrangement that shines. Nice job by Janice on those BG vox. Nice use of the strings—really well balanced in the mix. Super tune!

My best to you,

Deej
Posted By: PeterF Re: A Better Me - 12/03/20 03:03 AM
floyd,

Lovely work, beautiful melodic and heartfelt song.
Excellent vocals and you and Janice always sound stunning together.
Nice acoustic solo and a wonderful lyric.

Really top notch.

Peter
Posted By: dcuny Re: A Better Me - 12/03/20 04:46 AM
Someone mentioned the stripped-down instrumentation, but I'm always impressed with how lean your lyrics can be:

Short, to the point, and original.

Loved the delivery, with some of the words almost spoken.

Nice arrangement - I liked the build. The kick drum was super-effective in the in mix.

Excellent. laugh
Posted By: Crossroads Re: A Better Me - 12/03/20 06:30 AM
Hi Floyd,

first of all: Your lyrics are always amazing, but this one truely stands out - marvellous. Scott mentioned that line 'I hear devils even god ain't heard' - like hom I thought that this one can hardly be beaten.

A wonderful song, like always sung with such a lot of cogency. Very well-instrumented, great acoustic lead. Flawless sound, too.

Janice, even if a song is close to perfect, you can always make it shine a little more!

That's really one of the big ones, Floyd!

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: A Better Me - 12/03/20 11:16 AM
Can I just say I love it, and you'll understand I have no words to praise your accomplishments, Floyd? Please post one of those throw-away songs so I can say, "See? He IS human." Great choice asking Janice. I love her voice. She makes you a better you. A drummer friend from NY still claims that he and I wrote like 5,000 surfer songs in the 60s. I correct him by saying we wrote one surfer song 5,000 times. Thanks for all you do here, man!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: A Better Me - 12/03/20 01:57 PM

This sounds great man. I really like the choice of tracks, and Janice is doing a super job as usual.

As always, and excellent mix dude!!

smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: A Better Me - 12/03/20 01:58 PM
I've said it before; the blend of your voice with Janice is special, just sublime.

Wonderful song, bring back some more of these old ones please smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Better Me - 12/03/20 02:33 PM
Musician17 & CaptainMoto

Thanks for mentioning my harmony. It has always a pleasure singing with floyd over the years!

Janice
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: A Better Me - 12/03/20 10:08 PM
BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I could praise this song until my fingers fell off from typing!!! EVERYTHING is PERFECT!!!! Love the lyric, which matches perfectly with the melody.....some of your best lyrics EVER, and that's a high hill to climb!! Love the dry sound of the guitar and drums which makes the lyrics more haunting and lonely. AND, that vocal....WOW....maybe your best ever!! AMAZINGLY GREAT!!!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: A Better Me - 12/03/20 11:44 PM
So glad you did not throw this one out Floyd. Just a beautiful song. As always a heartfelt lyric and vocal. Janice's harmonies so well blended in to the vocal. I love your backtracks and production. All the instruments so well placed. Well done
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/04/20 01:03 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
You are a genius and no mistake, sir. "I live in a constant rain / I heard devils even God ain't heard" - wow. Hits hard but perfectly bullseye, so to speak, right in the heart.

So the lyrics are incredible. Your rendition of them is extraordinary, too. "I'm hoping". "as a driller". Your vocal inflexion on these (particularly on the first one) ... that's a musician's musician's inflexion :-)

The music is so melodic, and you just tell the story through it. I almost wanted to cry on the first listen.

What a great rendition. One of your personal favourites? Darn straight - one of mine, too. One of, if not indeed your best that I've heard so far on this forum.

Janice ... beautiful understated harmonies that add just the right amount of colour to the song.

A classic that I want to hear again and again. Well done.

James - thanks so much for such a nice comment. I really appreciate it...

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto

What's that little whisper at the end?

Wonderful mix.

moto

moto - Thanks!

The "whisper" at the end says "Yay, man." It is actually from the RealTrack of the guitar player (2441:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking HipFolk Sw16 85). I got a real kick out of it the first time I noticed it - which was a while after I added it.... so I left it in...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/04/20 08:25 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Ya know, based on your last song, I thought I knew EXACTLY who you are as an artist. Now this comes at me WAY out of left field. wink

Great contrast of the verse and chorus...so, well balanced. The movement and build of the instruments shows someone knows there craft. Additionally heighted by sprinkling some instrument fills in here and there. Brilliant.

Quote:

This was KILLER!

I really enjoy this song all the way around.

Caaron - thanks for the great review.

I'll always try to keep ya guessing...

wink
Posted By: tommyad Re: A Better Me - 12/04/20 09:07 PM
Yeah Man and not whispered. You're right this is some of your best work. Great choice of backing. It creates the perfect setting to deliver the melancholy lyric of disappointment and hopefulness. A beautiful portrait of an introspective man seeking a change. Great vocal and perfect harmony from Janice. This is how it's done! Expert songwriting, performance and production. Nice little restrained acoustic lead also. You're just so good at this, Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/05/20 12:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hello Floyd Jane,

What I admire about you is your lyrics close to everyday reality with memories of a life that we have lived or that we could have lived and that we would have liked better. The melody is splendid. The timbre of the voice is full of emotion. I appreciated. Well done.

Kindly regard

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlah

Thanks, Derochette....

Originally Posted By: rayc
Love the acoustic lead parts...they carry your personality even deeper into the song.
Lovely lyrics, lovelier melody.
Wonderful harmony, (it's a Janice morning clearly), and clear, clean arrangement.
The player on the end 's whisper is perfect.
The ONLY not is the click in the kick which, to me, stands out too much in the sparse intro.

Appreciate that, ray. (You know I love that kick. HA!)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/05/20 11:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
"i hear devils even god ain't heard." That has got to be one of the all-time best lyric lines ever written.

Strong and emotion-filled vocal performance. The melody shines.

That is music to my ears. smile Thanks, Scott....
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Better Me - 12/06/20 09:52 AM
Ray and Leon,

Thanks for mentioning the harmony!

Janice
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A Better Me - 12/06/20 10:34 AM
Hi Floyd,

You can make such sensitive songs and keep them sounding cool!
That is surely a gift!
I always get that image of a tough cowboy, silently weeping somewhere in a corner where no one can see him.
And we can hear his revelations in so welchosen language!

And in the chorusses it was good to have Janice along. Your voices complement each others and made the chorusses ounded richer.
Still you stay in front. So the image of the 'loner' stays intact.

Enjoyed it, Floyd and -of course- Janice!
Hans
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/06/20 11:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd.
Easy to see why this is a favourite. Wonderful storytelling, great melody and excellent vocal. Love the acoustic lead. Janice's harmony is the icing on the cake.
Regards,
Leon

Appreciate that, Leon... Thanks for noticing the acoustic...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Better Me - 12/07/20 11:23 AM
JPT, Deej & Stefan,

Your comments on my small part in this production are appreciated!

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/07/20 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Some of the best lyrics I've heard from you, and they fit so naturally into the very good melody. Loved the strings' contribution to the mood, and the singing was excellent, of course.

Listened multiple times, it was that good.

Thanks for the nice comments, Bob...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/07/20 11:17 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Nice song. Lovely harmonies between you and Janice. Great lyrics. Good guitar licks during the bridge. The band was smooth too. Good work to all.

jpt3 - thanks for all of that. Appreciated...
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Better Me - 12/07/20 11:40 PM
Floyd ...

I can't top anything that's already been said, so I won't try. I'll simply state that this is as close to perfection as country music (or any other genre, for that matter) could hope to be. Everything fits like a finished puzzle. You're one of the very best I've heard in my 55+ years in the music business. Don't know what else I can say ... it's just the truth, plain and simple.

Wishing you and yours nothing but the best. Stay safe ...

Alan

PS: Almost forgot ... that Janice lady sure knows how to put the sweetest icing on an already terrific cake.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/08/20 11:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
No-one can write a blue ribbon "heart on sleeve " autobiographical song like you can Floyd. Another radio ready gem from the FJ University of Audio Excellence. I wish you would post one of those 700 discarded songs just to show some empathy to us mere mortals.
Because your productions are so flawless it is easy to overlook the fact that you are a very high quality vocalist. You are the whole nine yards.

p.s. Please tell us (me) a little about your intriguing art.

Gary - thanks for the very nice comments.

I gave this response (about the art work) previously, but will repeat it here:
Over the years, I've dabbled with creating large abstracts. This one (the "cover art") is 4' X 4'. The others that I've used are similar sizes. Sometimes 3' X 4', sometimes 4' X 5'... Several were sold by an art dealer - into commercial offices in the St. Louis area, typically selling in the $800 range (but that was years ago and I haven't pursued that further). Mostly they hang in our house (or get stacked in the garage)...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Better Me - 12/08/20 07:08 PM
We love this song. When I (Janice) was learning my harmony part I kept forgetting to sing because I was caught up in the story and so wanted a happy outcome for this good man.

The imagery in the write is so vivid that it's almost like watching a movie trailer.

What a perfect lyric accompanied by the perfect vocal. Your guitar and the strings are such a nice touch to the band.

Just cool little touches everywhere like your artwork and the "yeah man" at the end.

Superb!

J&B
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: A Better Me - 12/08/20 09:52 PM

Floyd wrote <" Over the years, I've dabbled with creating large abstracts. This one (the "cover art") is 4' X 4'. The others that I've used are similar sizes. Sometimes 3' X 4', sometimes 4' X 5'... Several were sold by an art dealer - into commercial offices in the St. Louis area, typically selling in the $800 range (but that was years ago and I haven't pursued that further). Mostly they hang in our house (or get stacked in the garage)...">

This tells me two things. 1. Your art is very desirable and people are willing to pay good money for it .
2. Your marketing skills do not match your musical skills.

What's that "1% inspiration - 99% perspiration" thingy? Your beautiful art should be out making the world a brighter and better place , not languishing in your garage .
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/09/20 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

I read the write earlier in the day today and was eager to come back and hear what you did with it. The lyric is stellar, with some killer lines. Like musician17 noted, the “devils even god ain’t heard” is just brilliant.

The listen didn’t disappoint. Love the stripped feel to it—it would be easy to do to much on a lyric like this. Simple arrangement that shines. Nice job by Janice on those BG vox. Nice use of the strings—really well balanced in the mix. Super tune!

My best to you,

Deej

Deej - thanks for the very nice comments. Much appreciated.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/09/20 11:00 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd,

Lovely work, beautiful melodic and heartfelt song.
Excellent vocals and you and Janice always sound stunning together.
Nice acoustic solo and a wonderful lyric.

Really top notch.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I appreciate the mention of the solo....
Posted By: ROG Re: A Better Me - 12/10/20 01:35 PM
Hi Floyd,

Beautiful.

A very nice and detailed arrangement without being overdone or messy.

Very tasteful acoustic lead work.

It has Janice!

A super mix - loved the kick drum.

ROG.
Posted By: dani48 Re: A Better Me - 12/10/20 05:54 PM
Hi, Floyd !

You really found a
better you if that was possible ?
I loved it ! Can´t get any
better or can it ?
My new Floydfav !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Better Me - 12/11/20 11:47 AM
Babu, David S, BlueAttitude, Scott, Tom & Hans,

Thanks y’all for mentioning the harmony!

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/11/20 06:33 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Someone mentioned the stripped-down instrumentation, but I'm always impressed with how lean your lyrics can be:

Short, to the point, and original.

Loved the delivery, with some of the words almost spoken.

Nice arrangement - I liked the build. The kick drum was super-effective in the in mix.

Excellent. laugh

David - It is always nice when someone chooses to quote lyrics. Thanks for that - means a lot. "Short, to the point, and original." - couldn't ask for a better comment...

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Floyd,

first of all: Your lyrics are always amazing, but this one truely stands out - marvellous. Scott mentioned that line 'I hear devils even god ain't heard' - like hom I thought that this one can hardly be beaten.

A wonderful song, like always sung with such a lot of cogency. Very well-instrumented, great acoustic lead. Flawless sound, too.

Janice, even if a song is close to perfect, you can always make it shine a little more!

That's really one of the big ones, Floyd!

All the best,

Stefan

Stefan - thanks for the terrific review. I appreciate the mention of the lyric, the vocal, the sound and my singing partner!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/13/20 12:46 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Can I just say I love it, and you'll understand I have no words to praise your accomplishments, Floyd? Please post one of those throw-away songs so I can say, "See? He IS human." Great choice asking Janice. I love her voice. She makes you a better you. A drummer friend from NY still claims that he and I wrote like 5,000 surfer songs in the 60s. I correct him by saying we wrote one surfer song 5,000 times. Thanks for all you do here, man!!

HA! Thanks, Marty. Yes, Janice makes me a Better Me (and you are a clever man)...

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This sounds great man. I really like the choice of tracks, and Janice is doing a super job as usual.

As always, and excellent mix dude!!

smile

Thanks, David.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I've said it before; the blend of your voice with Janice is special, just sublime.

Wonderful song, bring back some more of these old ones please smile

Thanks, Dave! (this is actually a fairly recent write...)
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: A Better Me - 12/13/20 11:16 PM
FJ,
Very nice "searching for self" tune. Easy listening, laid back performance from you and Janice. Acoustic arrangement is super nice. Pedal steel was a very good choice. I've heard some pretty complex, and in sense more powerful songs by you, but I believe I can see why this is special to you.
You mastered your production skills so well that I think if I tried very hard, I would not be able to find any issues. Enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. Wow 1000 tunes! I have to re-evaluate my goals smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Better Me - 12/13/20 11:32 PM
Al & ROG,

I appreciate the harmony mention. Thanks guys!

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/14/20 12:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I could praise this song until my fingers fell off from typing!!! EVERYTHING is PERFECT!!!! Love the lyric, which matches perfectly with the melody.....some of your best lyrics EVER, and that's a high hill to climb!! Love the dry sound of the guitar and drums which makes the lyrics more haunting and lonely. AND, that vocal....WOW....maybe your best ever!! AMAZINGLY GREAT!!!!! Take care. Greg

Greg - I might have to print this one off and hang it on my wall.

smile smile smile smile smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/14/20 10:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
So glad you did not throw this one out Floyd. Just a beautiful song. As always a heartfelt lyric and vocal. Janice's harmonies so well blended in to the vocal. I love your backtracks and production. All the instruments so well placed. Well done

Thanks, Scott...nice of you to say...
Posted By: edshaw Re: A Better Me - 12/14/20 11:11 PM
I'm all over it, Floyd.
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: A Better Me - 12/15/20 01:28 AM
Everything flows so nicely : the vocals, lyrics, the accoustic guitar.. This track shows how deep your sensitivity is. Enjoyed it very much!
EDIT : forgot to add that the strings add a very melancolic and beautiful touch!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/15/20 11:40 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Yeah Man and not whispered. You're right this is some of your best work. Great choice of backing. It creates the perfect setting to deliver the melancholy lyric of disappointment and hopefulness. A beautiful portrait of an introspective man seeking a change. Great vocal and perfect harmony from Janice. This is how it's done! Expert songwriting, performance and production. Nice little restrained acoustic lead also. You're just so good at this, Tom

Tom - thanks for such a fine review. Means a lot coming from you. Thanks for the comments on the lyric and songwriting. And for noting the acoustic lead.
And my singing partner, of course....
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/15/20 06:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Floyd,

You can make such sensitive songs and keep them sounding cool!
That is surely a gift!
I always get that image of a tough cowboy, silently weeping somewhere in a corner where no one can see him.
And we can hear his revelations in so welchosen language!

And in the chorusses it was good to have Janice along. Your voices complement each others and made the chorusses ounded richer.
Still you stay in front. So the image of the 'loner' stays intact.

Enjoyed it, Floyd and -of course- Janice!
Hans

Hans - Thanks from a sensitive guy smile and his singing partner!!

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Floyd ...

I can't top anything that's already been said, so I won't try. I'll simply state that this is as close to perfection as country music (or any other genre, for that matter) could hope to be. Everything fits like a finished puzzle. You're one of the very best I've heard in my 55+ years in the music business. Don't know what else I can say ... it's just the truth, plain and simple.

Wishing you and yours nothing but the best. Stay safe ...

Alan

PS: Almost forgot ... that Janice lady sure knows how to put the sweetest icing on an already terrific cake.

Dang, Alan! That is one of the nicest compliments I've ever received! Thank you....
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/16/20 01:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We love this song. When I (Janice) was learning my harmony part I kept forgetting to sing because I was caught up in the story and so wanted a happy outcome for this good man.

The imagery in the write is so vivid that it's almost like watching a movie trailer.

What a perfect lyric accompanied by the perfect vocal. Your guitar and the strings are such a nice touch to the band.

Just cool little touches everywhere like your artwork and the "yeah man" at the end.

Superb!

J&B

You forgot to mention the perfect harmony!!! Thank You! (both!)

Originally Posted By: Gary Weder

Floyd wrote <" Over the years, I've dabbled with creating large abstracts. This one (the "cover art") is 4' X 4'. The others that I've used are similar sizes. Sometimes 3' X 4', sometimes 4' X 5'... Several were sold by an art dealer - into commercial offices in the St. Louis area, typically selling in the $800 range (but that was years ago and I haven't pursued that further). Mostly they hang in our house (or get stacked in the garage)...">

This tells me two things. 1. Your art is very desirable and people are willing to pay good money for it .
2. Your marketing skills do not match your musical skills.

What's that "1% inspiration - 99% perspiration" thingy? Your beautiful art should be out making the world a brighter and better place , not languishing in your garage .

HA! Marketing has never been my strong suits. Because my canvases are typically so large, it becomes an expense hobby (if you aren't selling them). I trade off expensive hobbies all the time - Music. Golf. Art...
Thanks for the interest, Gary...

smile smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/16/20 10:44 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd,

Beautiful.

A very nice and detailed arrangement without being overdone or messy.

Very tasteful acoustic lead work.

It has Janice!

A super mix - loved the kick drum.

ROG.

Thanks, ROG...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/17/20 10:54 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !

You really found a
better you if that was possible ?
I loved it ! Can´t get any
better or can it ?
My new Floydfav !

Cheers
Dani

smile

Thanks, Dani....
Posted By: furry Re: A Better Me - 12/17/20 11:27 PM
WOW, this really the spot from the get go. Guys the two of you should seriously think about an album. Floyd, your voice along with that of Janice is simply amazing. Thanks for this
Posted By: Westside Steve Re: A Better Me - 12/18/20 09:56 AM
Another winter your stuff always has very polished and professional
WSS
Posted By: Tangmo Re: A Better Me - 12/18/20 10:49 PM
Love the way the band just creeps up from such simplicity and slowly builds. Never over the top, but giving that buoyancy. Lyrically I can see why this is one of your favorites. Everything is in flux, the end results (even the means towards the reaching of the goal) is without certainty. This is no looking-back-and-crowing song....just the the pre-dawn thoughts of a man with an unfolding sense of mission.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/19/20 11:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ,
Very nice "searching for self" tune. Easy listening, laid back performance from you and Janice. Acoustic arrangement is super nice. Pedal steel was a very good choice. I've heard some pretty complex, and in sense more powerful songs by you, but I believe I can see why this is special to you.
You mastered your production skills so well that I think if I tried very hard, I would not be able to find any issues. Enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. Wow 1000 tunes! I have to re-evaluate my goals smile

Thanks, Misha. (I started writing when I was 14 - so it is easy to rack up those numbers...but I think I was about 21 before I ever kept one...)

Originally Posted By: edshaw
I'm all over it, Floyd.

Thanks, ed...

Originally Posted By: Angelomusic
Everything flows so nicely : the vocals, lyrics, the accoustic guitar.. This track shows how deep your sensitivity is. Enjoyed it very much!
EDIT : forgot to add that the strings add a very melancolic and beautiful touch!

I appreciate that, Angelo....
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/20/20 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
WOW, this really the spot from the get go. Guys the two of you should seriously think about an album. Floyd, your voice along with that of Janice is simply amazing. Thanks for this

Thanks for stopping by, Graham....

Originally Posted By: Westside Steve
Another winter your stuff always has very polished and professional
WSS

WSS - good to hear from you....

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Love the way the band just creeps up from such simplicity and slowly builds. Never over the top, but giving that buoyancy. Lyrically I can see why this is one of your favorites. Everything is in flux, the end results (even the means towards the reaching of the goal) is without certainty. This is no looking-back-and-crowing song....just the the pre-dawn thoughts of a man with an unfolding sense of mission.

Tangmo - thanks for the great comments...

JANICE - A special THANK YOU!!! for adding your voice to my music all these years!!! I treasure it...

smile smile wink
Posted By: lambada Re: A Better Me - 12/20/20 01:20 PM
A tremendous song. Great production etc.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Better Me - 12/21/20 11:47 AM
FLOYD - and a big ole THANK YOU!!!
for inviting me to be your "sister" harmony singer
on so many special songs. I look forward to
many more years of collaborations!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Better Me - 12/21/20 02:09 PM
Originally Posted By: lambada
A tremendous song. Great production etc.

lambada - great to have you drop by for a listen and a comment...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
FLOYD - and a big ole THANK YOU!!!
for inviting me to be your "sister" harmony singer
on so many special songs. I look forward to
many more years of collaborations!

cool
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: A Better Me - 12/21/20 06:12 PM
Floyd and Janice, I'm a little late in getting to this.

Quality throughout, encapsulated with a remarkable set of lyrics, and consummately delivered by your team.

Thoroughly enjoyable.
© PG Music Forums