PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson NEW SONG POST: The Ghost of San Tropez - 12/04/20 11:04 PM
Hi Forummates! I'm hearing some incredible stuff lately.....keeps getting better!! I was very flattered by the warm response to Imaginary Dance. I don't usually get around to responding to all the comments but I do read them and appreciate them very much! This is a story song with no root in reality or legend. I just somehow channeled the line "The Ghost of San Tropez" and after a little search on Google, I came up with a lyric. There was some fighting there in WW2 (think that's right) and I based the idea on that. Hope you enjoy. Would love to know if the story is not too hard to follow.....harder than one would think with a story song! Take care all! Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/ghostofsantropez

Players are:

Bass. 518
Piano 2262
Guitars 542, 2200
Cello 2509
Pad 1543
Nashville Ev 16ths with stick

The Ghost of San Tropez

He follows her through restless dreams
Trapped inside an endless maze it seems
He reaches out to touch her hair but she’s gone

He hears her whispering his name
He feels the fire of passion’s flame
He smells her perfume in the air but she’s gone

He only saw her once in the light of day
A vision floating by
She disappeared down an alley way
Like vapor to the sky
He asked around at the local shops
And the restaurants by the bay
An old Frenchman softly said
“The ghost of San Tropez”

But what to think of old mens’ minds?
The cost of age and too much wine
In matters such, credibility is strained
But in that voice was the sound of truth
And ancient eyes reclaimed their youth
As he relived his tale of love and pain

A vision floating by
Like vapor to the sky
And since that day, she visits him in dreams
When he was young, old men would say
A woman’s ghost walks the streets
Of San Tropez

She was 22 in ’44
And lost her husband in the war
Trying to reclaim their sacred home
Though young and lovely, she could not start
To build a new life ‘round her broken heart
Searching for her love, she walks the streets alone
Posted By: Al-David Re: NEW SONG POST: The Ghost of San Tropez - 12/05/20 03:10 AM
Hi Greg ...

You never disappoint, my friend! Your music always has everything a listener could want: great arrangement, beautiful tracks, a fantastic lyric and a voice that has no equal on this board ... and probably a lot of other places.

I particularly liked this part of the lyric:

A vision floating by
Like vapor to the sky

And that acoustic lead as the song fades is just so good. What a pleasure and privilege it is to listen to your music.

Wishing you and yours the very best. Please be safe ...

Alan
Man, the write, the melody, and the vocal .... just beautiful!

Lovely track too, that acoustic lead is perfect.

I just love your music, Greg, you should be famous.

Thanks for sharing it with us!
Excellent work. What I liked about it:
Great lyric..”Cost of age” fantastic phrase
Story told within the economy of the melody, very naturally.
Top-notch vocal performance.

Greg, if you permit me to say this, in a complimentary way: This song demonstrates that a simple, basic musical score can allow a stellar lyric-story and vocal performance to stand out. Sometimes I think that over-designing the backing is a mistake; here, your design choices are perfect.

And thank you very much for having the fortitude to avoid a “clever” trap to somehow go to “66” or “88” in the line following “”22” and “44”—I would have been suckered into that one myself!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: NEW SONG POST: The Ghost of San Tropez - 12/05/20 11:30 AM
When I signed on I noticed there was a new Greg Johnson song. Man, that's like Christmas. You have that magic, Greg (or should I say Santa). Such a good write, and so well performed. A story song that's hard to follow requires many listens. That's easy. I love how you researched Google as if you were writing a book. The pictures you evoke here could fill volumes.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: NEW SONG POST: The Ghost of San Tropez - 12/05/20 11:52 AM
Hi Greg,
Babu said it so nicely -and funny- in the post above and I can only agree (except for those Christmas words of course).
What a nice melody, vocals and lyrics. A very sensitive song and very well performed.

Enjoyed it,
Hans
Greg,

Heavenly.

The write. The vocal. The music. Heavenly.

Burt would be proud.

Music. As. Good. As. It. Gets.

Heavenly.

fj
Love songs that tell a story, particularly if it's built upon a true story.

Nice write.
Well executed.
Beautiful song.

moto
Like the clear vocals and the haunting sound of the song. A nice story. Nice!!
Hi Greg, this is a very good song. It creates a nice, somehow chill, lounge-like atmosphere that I truly enjoyed.

Really well done!
Will
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEW SONG POST: The Ghost of San Tropez - 12/05/20 04:31 PM
Love the leaps in the melody - they make the melody even more interesting, and show off your voice.

Slipping "credibility" into the lyric - excellent!

I didn't expect the guitar solo outro - icing on an already rich cake!

Magic, indeed. laugh
Posted By: rayc Re: NEW SONG POST: The Ghost of San Tropez - 12/06/20 02:47 AM
Lovely stuff - lyrically, melodically and arrangement.
The only nit occurs occasionally - sibilant sounds cut through harshly here n there in part due to the intimate micing and the reverb.
Excellent ghost song, on a par with "She moved through the faire." I wondered about giving up so many details about her in the last stanza, if the effect isn't greater by leaving those facts to the imagination, but I ended up thinking it enhanced the aura. As always, beautifully sung and produced.
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEW SONG POST: The Ghost of San Tropez - 12/06/20 03:02 PM
Another beautiful song Greg. Awesome backtrack. Loved your vocal and lyric. Ear candy for sure. Well done
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Greg ...

You never disappoint, my friend! Your music always has everything a listener could want: great arrangement, beautiful tracks, a fantastic lyric and a voice that has no equal on this board ... and probably a lot of other places.

I particularly liked this part of the lyric:

A vision floating by
Like vapor to the sky

And that acoustic lead as the song fades is just so good. What a pleasure and privilege it is to listen to your music.

Wishing you and yours the very best. Please be safe ...

Alan

Thanks so much Alan!! Really appreciate your kind review!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: NEW SONG POST: The Ghost of San Tropez - 12/06/20 08:55 PM
Amazing. Great story told with skill and presented brilliantly. Will definitely play it again.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: NEW SONG POST: The Ghost of San Tropez - 12/07/20 02:04 AM
One word: Brilliant.

Brilliant lyrics
Brilliant vocals
Brilliant use of BIAB

Brilliant, I say.

I loved the easy melody.

Posted By: tommyad Re: NEW SONG POST: The Ghost of San Tropez - 12/07/20 11:25 AM
Greg, you can really sing. Great write and arrangement. The melody is very familiar in a way but also brand new. Another fine example of your abilities, Tom
Posted By: furry Re: NEW SONG POST: The Ghost of San Tropez - 12/07/20 10:24 PM
Greg, this is brilliant. Gorgeous melody, perfect backing great voice. A winner from me
I really like this. Vocal fits perfectly. Soooo good
Absolutely lovely melody. Exceptional lyrics from start to finish. Smooth lilting vocal.
Chills Greg. I'm a guy who loves emotion in songs and this is all about the feeling. It takes a great write, great production, and great delivery to create that emotion...and you brought it all. LOVE this song!

Greg,

This is really gorgeous. A truly beautiful song. I got some goosebumps man.

smile

Love the chord progression.
Posted By: jannesan Re: NEW SONG POST: The Ghost of San Tropez - 12/08/20 03:06 PM
Nice backstory turned into a beautiful song. Dreamy lyrics painting a nice lively story, reminding me of the movie Portrait of Jennie. I enjoyed the chord progression, in the mood of Love Story-movie theme. Great emotional vocals, good selection of instruments - the cello works very well.

Janne
Hello Greg,

Very romantic composition with a hint of nostalgia for the passing of time. Your voice is very pleasant and the tone is perfect with the arrangement very smooth. Superb guitar solo. Very pleasant composition.

Kindly regards

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Deej56 Re: NEW SONG POST: The Ghost of San Tropez - 12/09/20 12:25 AM
Greg,

Really liked this one. The melody, vocal and production are all just perfect, but the write is beyond impressive. I think it’s among your best. This is super excellent.

My very humble regards,

Deej
Having not long finished a trilogy on WWII the year 44 is quite meaningful to me (Bud)
so it's nice to hear the reference along with all of the vivid imagery.

Yes, Burt would smile indeed.

The arrangement is lovely especially the acoustic guitar faded outro.

Enjoyed it,

J&B
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, the write, the melody, and the vocal .... just beautiful!

Lovely track too, that acoustic lead is perfect.

I just love your music, Greg, you should be famous.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Thanks so much Dave!! I really appreciate your kind words, and your great blues!!

Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Excellent work. What I liked about it:
Great lyric..”Cost of age” fantastic phrase
Story told within the economy of the melody, very naturally.
Top-notch vocal performance.

Greg, if you permit me to say this, in a complimentary way: This song demonstrates that a simple, basic musical score can allow a stellar lyric-story and vocal performance to stand out. Sometimes I think that over-designing the backing is a mistake; here, your design choices are perfect.

And thank you very much for having the fortitude to avoid a “clever” trap to somehow go to “66” or “88” in the line following “”22” and “44”—I would have been suckered into that one myself!

Thanks Tano!! Hearing a lot of good stuff from you lately! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
When I signed on I noticed there was a new Greg Johnson song. Man, that's like Christmas. You have that magic, Greg (or should I say Santa). Such a good write, and so well performed. A story song that's hard to follow requires many listens. That's easy. I love how you researched Google as if you were writing a book. The pictures you evoke here could fill volumes.

Thanks SO SO much Marty!! You have no idea how much I appreciate your kind support, and your great talent!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Greg,
Babu said it so nicely -and funny- in the post above and I can only agree (except for those Christmas words of course).
What a nice melody, vocals and lyrics. A very sensitive song and very well performed.

Enjoyed it,
Hans

Thanks so much Hans! Always enjoy your posts!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Greg,

Heavenly.

The write. The vocal. The music. Heavenly.

Burt would be proud.

Music. As. Good. As. It. Gets.

Heavenly.

fj

Thank you my friend!! A review like this from someone of your writing talent is worth its weight in gold to me!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Love songs that tell a story, particularly if it's built upon a true story.

Nice write.
Well executed.
Beautiful song.

moto

Thanks so much Cap'n!! Always enjoy your songs!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Like the clear vocals and the haunting sound of the song. A nice story. Nice!!

Thanks Donna! Seems like a while since I heard a new one from you....C'mon! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hi Greg, this is a very good song. It creates a nice, somehow chill, lounge-like atmosphere that I truly enjoyed.

Really well done!
Will

Thanks so much Will! Much appreciated!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Love the leaps in the melody - they make the melody even more interesting, and show off your voice.

Slipping "credibility" into the lyric - excellent!

I didn't expect the guitar solo outro - icing on an already rich cake!

Magic, indeed. laugh

Thanks David for all your kind words!! Really appreciated!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: rayc
Lovely stuff - lyrically, melodically and arrangement.
The only nit occurs occasionally - sibilant sounds cut through harshly here n there in part due to the intimate micing and the reverb.

Thanks for the kind words Ray! I probably am prone to missing the sibilance since I have a little hi freq hearing loss. Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Excellent ghost song, on a par with "She moved through the faire." I wondered about giving up so many details about her in the last stanza, if the effect isn't greater by leaving those facts to the imagination, but I ended up thinking it enhanced the aura. As always, beautifully sung and produced.

Thanks so much!! Always enjoy your tunes....you appreciate the old classic songwriting too! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums