PG Music Home
Posted By: tsanders Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 12:07 AM
Here's a little tribute to Miami and the section known as Little Havana. If you've ever been then you are familiar with the Latin Rhythms, Cigar Bars, Painted Murals, and Domino Park.

https://soundcloud.com/tsanders/little-havana

This is the BIAB _Sontrio.sty for piano and percussion. The trumpet solo at the end is Trumpet Soloist Smooth Jazz Cool sw16. I used the new multi-riffs feature to generate several solos and then pieced them together in my DAW (REAPER).

Bass is me on my Fender Precision with flat wounds and a piece of foam under the strings at the bridge to mute it even more. Drums are EZ Drummer using the Funkmaster Jabo kit. Horns are Session Horns in Kontakt. Vocals are done by my wife as is the Flute solo.

Hope you enjoy listening as much as we did creating it.
<<TS>>
Posted By: TexasFrets Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 04:44 AM
Love the feel. Beautiful vocals and flute. Excellent lyrics. So catchy. Great job on everything! Cheers, Todd
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 12:20 PM
Latin rhythms are the best. Those horns sound great and arranged well. YES, flat wounds are the best. Well-played bass, man. Dang, your wife's voice is silk and her flute solo is tastefully flawless.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 01:19 PM
Love latin music. I agree this is music that touches your soul. Awesome vocal and that rhythm section Wow !!!
Posted By: tsanders Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 01:43 PM
Thanks Texas Frets - you can tell we had fun doing this one. Appreciate the listen.
Posted By: tsanders Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 01:45 PM
Thanks Marty - Yeah she's good. We were both professional musicians at one point and she still does it in our home studio producing and performing on other people's work...including mine!!
Posted By: tsanders Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 01:48 PM
Scott - thanks for listening. BIAB is a great inspiration and starting point. Once I get an idea I typically rough it out in BIAB. Sometimes the BIAB tracks stay and sometimes they get replaced, but it is an indispensable part of my process.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 03:42 PM
TS,
Fun & easy listen for sure. Smooth and catchy. Nice vocals and mix. Enjoyed it.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Uwe Fischer Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 06:05 PM
A very smooth and catchy tune, good melody and rhythm. Reminds me a bit of Michael Franks, both for the composition and the singing. Well done! Am following you now on Soundcloud.
Regards,
Uwe
Posted By: dcuny Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 07:10 PM
+1 to the "smooth and catchy" comments.

Nice mix, all the instruments sound and the vocalist great.

You've got the vocal lead doubled. My personal preference is to have one vocal as the "primary", and the support vocals pushed back far enough that the don't compete the with main vocal. But that's just a preference, not really a criticism.

You've got the flute doubled as well, correct?

Anyway, I enjoyed this one a lot! laugh
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 08:11 PM
Oh wow Sanders, this is a great tune. very well put together. Vocals have a Sergio Mendes and the Brazil 66 feel to it. Loved it!

Mike B.
Posted By: tsanders Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 08:48 PM
Misha - Thanks for listening and your comments.
Posted By: tsanders Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 08:52 PM
Uwe - Thanks for the follow. Funny you mention Michael Franks. On my Soundcloud page I have recreated the instrumental bed for Your Secret's Safe With Me. I tried to match the rhythm tracks note for note. Close but not perfect but very close.
Posted By: tsanders Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 08:55 PM
David - yes the vocal and flute are doubled and panned to widen them out a bit but intentionally match in volume for this tune. In other mixes I have pulled the double lower and have even delayed or pitch shifted a bit, but for this one it felt right like this. Glad you enjoyed and thanks for listening and commenting.
Posted By: tsanders Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/13/20 08:58 PM
Mike B. - Thanks and yeah I can see a touch of Sergio Mendes although didn't think of it at the time. I studied several videos on Son Montuno and then added a bit more modern feel with a more complete rhythm section. Thanks for listening and commenting.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Little Havana - Cuban Son Montuno - 12/14/20 01:42 AM
Hi...

Totally enjoyed this! My wife and I are big fans of almost anything with a Latin beat. And this one is really terrific! Nice arrangement with some great backing tracks. The vocal is superb. Loved the flute lead. Sometimes the flutes on BIAB are hard to tame. Sound great here!

I really enjoyed this ... nice in every way.

Wishing you the very best. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
© PG Music Forums