PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude The Sage (video!) - 12/14/20 08:11 AM
Marty did a video for our song The Sage, and knocked it out of the park IMHO.

The Band:

3086:Organ, Rhythm AmericanaSlow128Mike Sw 040
3356:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm Moody128Brent Sw 060

Drums: EZDrummer2

Dave Bell - Additional Guitars and Vocal
Marty Straub, aka BabuMusic - Bass
Christiane Spruit - Vocal Harmonies

Mixed with Reaper, mastered with Ozone.

The Sage (2020, David Bell)

There's a Stranger, in the night
passing by, in the cold moonlight

A sense of wisdom, he has the sight
In these times that we live it's hard to tell
what's wrong from what is right

Can you tell me the answer, my friend?
The life we've known is coming to an end
So much has changed, been re-arranged, can't tell dark from light

Solo

In these times that we live it's hard to tell,
what's wrong from what is right
What was up is down, what was lost is found, can't tell dark from light

This will be our last post for 2020, so I hope all our friends here have a great Christmas!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/14/20 12:07 PM
Marty & Dave...

Loved it. Great to hear the song again. Terrific video - looks great in full screen.

The performances were my favorite parts. Y'all "lip-synced" those guitar parts well - fun to see...

Well done.

fj
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/14/20 07:26 PM
BlueAttitude team,
Great to hear this wonderful tune again and see most of you in action!
This one is one of my favorites of BA. Marty, good job on video, captures the mood pretty well! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/14/20 08:09 PM
What a treat for the eyes and ears. I must have missed this the first time around. Super guitar and bass playing. Some fine vocals and the video is outstanding. Very professional in all aspects. Top shelf, Tom
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/14/20 08:17 PM
Outstanding video work, love the wizened faces and other worldly images. Great work!
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/14/20 08:50 PM
Dave & Marty ...

I don't recall having heard the original but this song and video are great! So good to see both of you doing your thing! Dave, I didn't know you were that talented a vocalist ... loved it! And Marty, you can make those big ole strings lead the way ... really nice work!

Love the song and the great video. Kudos to both of you! And I don't want to forget Chris' vocal harmony. She's a very talented lady.

Wishing all of you the very best. Merry Christmas. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/15/20 02:24 AM
Bravo to all involved. Wicked song. Great video. Bravo!
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/15/20 03:15 AM
Dave & Marty

Nice to see the video to the song.
And an excellent video at that.
Not sure I could replicate the fingering for a solo so expertly Dave.

Beautifully produced Marty.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/15/20 07:01 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty & Dave...

Loved it. Great to hear the song again. Terrific video - looks great in full screen.

The performances were my favorite parts. Y'all "lip-synced" those guitar parts well - fun to see...

Well done.

fj

It took ages to get those guitar parts right. First needed to go back and figure out what I did originally, then needed to memorize it. And then mess it up as soon as the camera started rolling wink

Thanks, floyd!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/15/20 02:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
BlueAttitude team,
Great to hear this wonderful tune again and see most of you in action!
This one is one of my favorites of BA. Marty, good job on video, captures the mood pretty well! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks, Misha!

Best to you and yours for the holiday, I'll bet your kids are starting to get excited about Christmas!

Originally Posted By: tommyad
What a treat for the eyes and ears. I must have missed this the first time around. Super guitar and bass playing. Some fine vocals and the video is outstanding. Very professional in all aspects. Top shelf, Tom

Thanks, Tom!

We posted the audio version a few months back I guess, I think you were on the road at the time.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/15/20 02:37 PM
Ok. I thought I was losing it for a minute. Songs with videos I tend to listen first, without viewing the videos. Videos tend to take songs in a different direction for me that I have a hard time not seeing after I've seen them. So, upon my 1st listen (which was not) I thought it sounded familiar. Like too familiar. I kept hearing a bit of Pink Floyd (for me) but I could have sworn I heard this before. Then in reading what you wrote, it turns out I did!

Now, that being said, I sincerely apologize for not responding the first time. I was sitting in a parking lot of a hospital while my wife was having surgery. I just wanted to listen without effort...if that makes any sense. I just wanted to let the music lead the journey and be a passenger. Thank you for having a song strong enough to do that. Life got hectic and I never ending up posting a thank you. But this song is SO deserving.

Absolutely haunting and organically celestial song. The video definitely took it there. It feels like your not only part of the universe but experiencing it. Sonically fantastic. The performances by all of you were first rate. That guitar solo blew me away! You may have to change your name from Dave to "K.T."...kind of tone.

Excellent, excellent, excellent song. Thank you all for sharing you talents with us!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/15/20 09:31 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Outstanding video work, love the wizened faces and other worldly images. Great work!

I was blown away when I first saw Marty’s rough sketch for the video, he really captured the essence of the song visually I think.

Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment, appreciated!
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/15/20 10:58 PM
Great song, great vocals, powerful guitar!! Loved it!
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/16/20 12:09 AM
What a cool song Dave. Awesome vocal and the guitar just wow !!!. The harmonies were so delicately placed around the vocal.. Loved the video. Was awesome to set you and Marty playing. My new favorite of your song.
Posted By: Derochette Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/16/20 11:16 AM
Hello Dave, Marty and Christiane,

Nice melody and well done video. The lyrics are well thought out. All the ingredients of a wonderful composition. Thank you for sharing.

Kindly regards

Derochette

alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/16/20 04:53 PM
We rarely start a video for a song we've previously heard with the notion that it will enhance the audio; however, there are exceptions and this is one! Really well done.

I asked Janice if she wanted me to do a vid of
her singing sometime and I got "the" look smile

You guys have some great chops and it's cool to watch them ... no matter how hard it was to put it together!

J&B
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/17/20 06:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Dave & Marty ...

I don't recall having heard the original but this song and video are great! So good to see both of you doing your thing! Dave, I didn't know you were that talented a vocalist ... loved it! And Marty, you can make those big ole strings lead the way ... really nice work!

Love the song and the great video. Kudos to both of you! And I don't want to forget Chris' vocal harmony. She's a very talented lady.

Wishing all of you the very best. Merry Christmas. Be safe ...

Alan

Thanks for checking out our video, Alan!

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Bravo to all involved. Wicked song. Great video. Bravo!

Thanks very much!

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave & Marty

Nice to see the video to the song.
And an excellent video at that.
Not sure I could replicate the fingering for a solo so expertly Dave.

Beautifully produced Marty.

Peter

The hardest part was figuring out what I had originally done, and then memorizing it. Most of the solos I do have a big improv element, I'm sure yours are the same.

Thanks Peter!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/18/20 06:53 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Ok. I thought I was losing it for a minute. Songs with videos I tend to listen first, without viewing the videos. Videos tend to take songs in a different direction for me that I have a hard time not seeing after I've seen them. So, upon my 1st listen (which was not) I thought it sounded familiar. Like too familiar. I kept hearing a bit of Pink Floyd (for me) but I could have sworn I heard this before. Then in reading what you wrote, it turns out I did!

Now, that being said, I sincerely apologize for not responding the first time. I was sitting in a parking lot of a hospital while my wife was having surgery. I just wanted to listen without effort...if that makes any sense. I just wanted to let the music lead the journey and be a passenger. Thank you for having a song strong enough to do that. Life got hectic and I never ending up posting a thank you. But this song is SO deserving.

Absolutely haunting and organically celestial song. The video definitely took it there. It feels like your not only part of the universe but experiencing it. Sonically fantastic. The performances by all of you were first rate. That guitar solo blew me away! You may have to change your name from Dave to "K.T."...kind of tone.

Excellent, excellent, excellent song. Thank you all for sharing you talents with us!

Hi Caaron,

That has to be possibly the nicest review we have ever received, thanks so much!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/18/20 09:03 AM
Team, what a sensational delivery. Striking, mysterious, unique, all wrapped together as one.

Every part is a winner, and presented with a very interesting video, providing both clarity and intrigue at the same time.

Very nice, yes, very nice.
Posted By: Westside Steve Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/18/20 09:44 AM
Really nice video really nice guitar playing. Plus I'm a sucker for a minor key
WSS
Posted By: Tangmo Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/18/20 11:53 PM
My goodness! I'll tell you the answer between right and wrong. This is RIGHT, and anybody who doesn't think so is wrong. Well paced lyric sung very well. Dave, you have that soft and deep thing nailed. The band is sweet. Chris is the perfect complement up top, and Marty down below. Ny favorite bit, though, is the ending guitar. GREAT emotion-packed licks on the way out really punch home the whole experience.

Sorry I have missed other uploads recently. First world problems. Very glad to catch this haunt at years end. A happy rest to the three of you.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/19/20 09:16 PM
I really like this song--so haunting and captivating. It's cool to be able to watch you play, as well as seeing Marty's ghostlike image there too.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/20/20 12:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Angelomusic
Great song, great vocals, powerful guitar!! Loved it!

Thanks, happy you liked it!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
What a cool song Dave. Awesome vocal and the guitar just wow !!!. The harmonies were so delicately placed around the vocal.. Loved the video. Was awesome to set you and Marty playing. My new favorite of your song.

Yeah, the video was a bit of work (mostly for poor Marty wink ) but worth it in the end. I really like the video you guys did too, so inspiring!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We rarely start a video for a song we've previously heard with the notion that it will enhance the audio; however, there are exceptions and this is one! Really well done.

I asked Janice if she wanted me to do a vid of
her singing sometime and I got "the" look smile

You guys have some great chops and it's cool to watch them ... no matter how hard it was to put it together!

J&B

I think it would be great if you three did a performance type video! And there is precedence for it, I remember Janice performing in the video that floyd did a couple of years back, lots of fun to watch!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/20/20 09:25 PM
AWESOME!! Great video, and I love the way you sing! Fun to watch you guys play! GREAT STUFF!! Merry Xmas! Take care. Greg
Posted By: rayc Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/21/20 07:27 AM
Ace song and performances.
The video is wonderful: the overlays and green screen stuff plus the editing and constant, steady movement make it fabulous.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Sage (video!) - 12/22/20 09:36 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Team, what a sensational delivery. Striking, mysterious, unique, all wrapped together as one.

Every part is a winner, and presented with a very interesting video, providing both clarity and intrigue at the same time.

Very nice, yes, very nice.

Appreciate that, thanks, Trev!

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
My goodness! I'll tell you the answer between right and wrong. This is RIGHT, and anybody who doesn't think so is wrong. Well paced lyric sung very well. Dave, you have that soft and deep thing nailed. The band is sweet. Chris is the perfect complement up top, and Marty down below. Ny favorite bit, though, is the ending guitar. GREAT emotion-packed licks on the way out really punch home the whole experience.

Sorry I have missed other uploads recently. First world problems. Very glad to catch this haunt at years end. A happy rest to the three of you.

Thanks Tang! And no worries about missing uploads, I'm just happy you stopped by for this one smile

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I really like this song--so haunting and captivating. It's cool to be able to watch you play, as well as seeing Marty's ghostlike image there too.

Thanks for the listen and comments!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
AWESOME!! Great video, and I love the way you sing! Fun to watch you guys play! GREAT STUFF!! Merry Xmas! Take care. Greg

Well, the main difference between the way you sing and the way I sing is that you are actually good at it laugh Thanks, Greg!

Originally Posted By: rayc
Ace song and performances.
The video is wonderful: the overlays and green screen stuff plus the editing and constant, steady movement make it fabulous.

Yeah, Marty did a great job. Thanks Ray!
© PG Music Forums