PG Music Home
Posted By: ChadHC Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 12/16/20 02:25 PM
Trainwreck Blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fJL1NbZr50

Just put a video to this song, written a couple of months back. The title came from an email chat where a friend talked about avoiding a trainwreck. Trainwreck blues was the first line and it turned into bluegrass-gospel song. I remixed a little this morning to reduce the width of sound a little as I had some feedback on other song that I mix a little wide.

Guitar and vocals: Myself

BIAB Memo:
****** Song Summary *************
Title: Trainwreck Blues
File:Roll'n down the tracks.SGU
Key=E , Tempo 110, Length (m:s)=3:31
8 bar intro, 85 bar chorus, from bar 9 to bar 93. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is =CASH_BS.STY
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic Bass (33),
RealTracks in song: 620:Pedal Steel, Background Cowboy Ev 165
RealTracks in style: ~~591:Banjo, Bluegrass Doc Ev 100 (Soloist)
RealTracks in song: ~~595:Fiddle, Rhythm Bluegrass Doc Ev 100 (Shuffles)
RealTracks in song: ~432:Mandolin, Rhythm Bluegrass Ev 130
RealDrums in Style: CountryEven8Reduced: a: Brushes, HiHat b: Snare, Ride

Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 12/16/20 06:48 PM
Nicely done.Great band choice.
Look forward to hearing more from you.
Rob4580
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 12/16/20 09:26 PM
Thanks Rob!
Posted By: Marty Ricciotti Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 12/16/20 09:28 PM
Wow This is great! "Everything I gain has been subject to tax!"
Love it.

Now I need to know how to make a video like that.
Any tips or can you point me in the right direction?

The video is perfect for the song.
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 12/16/20 09:39 PM
Hey thanks Marty!!

Sure the video was pretty easy. I bought a green tablecloth at the dollar store for $3 and stapled it to the ceiling behind my computer. I used Zoom.us to record myself pretending to play the prerecorded song. Zoom has the option of adding a background (if you have a green screen behind you--or blue maybe) from a photo. From there, I just added titles at the intro and ending in iMovie (had to sync audio file with video in iMovie but zoom records sound too---only a few minutes to get it about right). So this one was not complicated.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 12/17/20 12:00 AM
Very cool tune. Loved your backtrack. Excellent vocal and lyric. A definite toe tapper. Well done Cool video
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 12/17/20 03:07 PM
Thank you Scott!
I am new to songwriting so the feedback is much appreciated.
I noticed that you are from my old hometown of Edmonton -- in Ottawa area now.

Stay warm and safe
Chad
Posted By: Al-David Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 12/17/20 04:57 PM
Hi Chad ...

I really, really enjoyed this! Good selection of backing tracks and your vocal is top notch. loved the video! I enjoy your voice very much - has an original honesty that left an impression on me. Enjoyed the stop before the ending!

Bluegrass is a perfect fit for you. I never was a big Bluegrass fan until Nickel Creek and Alison Krause came along ... they hooked me and sold the whole bill of goods. Glad they did! You gave me another reason to enjoy it. Thanks!

Happy Holidays! Take care and be safe

Alan
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 12/17/20 08:29 PM
Thank you kindly Alan!

I am actually searching for a sound/genre that I can do or that my voice is suited for. So your feedback helps me in that direction. I never would have thought of bluegrass, but since starting to write my own songs recently, and in combination with BIAB, I tend towards old folk/bluegrass. Huge fan of Gillian Welsch / David Rawlings combo.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 12/17/20 08:56 PM
Great lyrics and tune. Your voice fits the genre perfectly and the whole production was well done. smile
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 12/17/20 09:01 PM
hey thanks much! I think I need to try another bluegrass song.
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 12/30/20 12:34 PM
i do love how BIAB can add extra---especially in a pandemic when sharing tracks online for songs is a little awkward
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 12/30/20 08:02 PM
Song and video were both terrific. Very good vox. Great use of BIAB, it all came together so well. Nice work!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 01/03/21 12:08 PM
Very nice and love the video. Fine vocal and lyric.

As a couple of long, long time bluegrass players (who've moved to Americana) I would suggest
using a solo fiddle and keeping the shuffle fiddle (or a chop fiddle) for the rhythm when, of course,
the solo fiddle is not playing. And also adding a rhythm banjo for when the solo banjo is not playing.
Granted it takes more time to volume shape or cut/paste that scenario into effect. And no doubt you've stuck a fork in this one but thought I'd mention it.

Only a ramble from an old guy who spent decades playing upright looking at the backside of four
bluegrass pickers smile

Happy New Year!

J&B
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 01/03/21 12:24 PM
Hi J & B,
Thank you for those insights and it will help me to up my game for sure. I recently upgraded to Ultra so will have more choices of instruments once i get better at searching them and knowing how to place them for the song better
Thanks
C
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 01/03/21 02:04 PM
OH YES!
Well done.
I like me some good bluegrass.
Nice video to!

moto
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Trainwreck Blues (song/video) - 01/03/21 04:11 PM
thanks Moto!
Happy New Year!
C.