PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/22/20 05:47 PM
In my last post, I mentioned how many songs I've written and how many I've thrown away.
As I said, I started writing when I was 14.
The first song I ever "kept" came about 6 years later (1975).
First time I had thought... "This doesn't totally suck."
smile

I only keep it still for the sake of nostaglia.
I figured I'd throw it against the wall here.
Warts and all.
Beginnings.
It's slow and meloncholy (my first real broken heart).
A 3-verse song. Standard for the times.
I quit writing 3-verse songs about 1985.

So...going back 45 years...

REALLY THERE'S NOTHING TO SAY

the sunshine won't get out of my eyes
the salt won't get out of my wounds
a new woman won't get out of my mind
but i'll probably make my move too soon
five hundred miles from my last mistake
and still it stands in my way
now everything hangs
on her next words
but really there's nothing to say

maybe she'll love me, maybe she won't
maybe i don't even care
maybe i'll find what i'm looking for
or maybe it couldn't be there
but every fool needs somebody who
can help him forget yesterday
so maybe i'll use my usual lines

i might tell the story of why i am here
how a broken heart lead the way
but a stronger man would have made his stand
i just walked away
so i'll spare you the details and myself the pain
of a woman who's that far away
perhaps i should write
i thought that i might

now everything hangs
on her next words
really
there's nothing to say

The BAND:
RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in style: ~364:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~2200:Guitar, Nylon, Background CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~~369:Pedal Steel, Background Ev 065
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2066:Piano, Rhythm NewAgeAnswers Ev16 110
Harmonies generated using TC Helicon plugin in RealBand

But, really...You can say something if you feel like it...
wink

Thanks for listening.

fj
Posted By: rayc Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/22/20 09:15 PM
The piano fits really well.
I'm glad this didn't get a ride in the ejector seat as it's a lovely, heart bruised song.
No nits...I'm glad you tried the resurrection without the shuffle.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/22/20 09:38 PM
It's a given that all of your productions are of the highest standard and this outing is no exception.
That said , I would love to hear this pared down to a sparse and simple piano or picked guitar ( à la Tom Waits) accompaniment. The fervent passionate quality of the lyrics are more than enough to carry the song with minimum distraction . I am not a fan of the sound of TC Helicon generated harmonies.
These are very timeless, worldly and enlightened lyrics coming from a 20 year old written 45 yers ago and I love "warts and all" which to my mind, is bona fide truth and therefor far more interesting.
Thank you for your wonderful music. I hope you have LOTS more to say smile

ps Hey I just did the math , 20 in 1975 ? we are the same age!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/23/20 05:03 AM
Hi Floyd ...

First, Gary and you are dang near youngsters in my time frame ... I'll be 74 in March. YIKES!!!!

Glad this one missed the trash can. Most of us would probably be very happy to have written most of your throwaways. This is so poignant yet a compelling listen. For the era, this would have been a great cross-over song.

The movie of this sad journey played in my mind's eye as each word lead to the next.

You remind me, in one very strong aspect, of a female friend of mine and a wonderful lyricist from Iowa. And that is, you have an uncanny and rare ability to reach into the hidden and unfiltered emotions of the human soul and translate them into the tangible medium of a powerful song. I not only listened to this song, but I felt it as I listened. Other than that, there's really nothing left for me to say.

Happy holidays to you and yours from both of us.

Alan & Di
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/23/20 05:25 AM
Man, you were 20 when you wrote this?!

I started writing songs probably around the same time as you, and we are a similar age. I'm a year older actually. Main difference is your stuff was good eek

This is great, floyd, excellent vocal too. More please!

Hope you and yours have a great Christmas.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/23/20 08:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
It's a given that all of your productions are of the highest standard and this outing is no exception.
That said , I would love to hear this pared down to a sparse and simple piano or picked guitar ( à la Tom Waits) accompaniment. The fervent passionate quality of the lyrics are more than enough to carry the song with minimum distraction . I am not a fan of the sound of TC Helicon generated harmonies.
These are very timeless, worldly and enlightened lyrics coming from a 20 year old written 45 yers ago and I love "warts and all" which to my mind, is bona fide truth and therefor far more interesting.
Thank you for your wonderful music. I hope you have LOTS more to say smile

ps Hey I just did the math , 20 in 1975 ? we are the same age!

Gary - your comments got me thinking... I had added the harmonies at the last minute before I uploaded the song - and they were (for one thing) too loud. So I toned them down a bit. And your suggestion of a "pared down" backing made me try it without drums - which I think made it more effective.

So. I remixed and uploaded a new version. Thanks for the suggestions...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/23/20 08:53 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
I'm glad this didn't get a ride in the ejector seat as it's a lovely, heart bruised song.

Thanks, ray! shuffle?
Posted By: musician17 Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/23/20 11:14 AM
Stunning, tender and heartwrenching. So melodic, like most (if not indeed all) of your songs. So well delivered, too. You wrote this when you were 20? Wow. They say that, if a man has a heart in his chest, that heart lasts forever ... and you sure have a superb musical heart in there. Keep sharing ... this was really, genuinely beautiful. Happy Christmas.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/23/20 04:41 PM
Wow, 1975. 14 years old. You brought me back to the struggle it was to get good recordings without noise back then. My first attempts were with two small Panasonic cassette recorders and a patch cable. Then, I got the glorious Teac reel-to-reel, but even with that, noise was always an issue. The only solution was to go in the studio, save your money and watch the studio clock. That only happened a couple times. Ah, the good old days. Not! If only we'd have had BIAB back then.

This was a treat to listen to, really enjoyed the 70s form (Ha! I still use it!) and it was obvious a great talent was blossoming. Nice to hear the origin of it all, thanks for giving us a fascinating look back.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/23/20 05:58 PM
Another lovely song Floyd. Beautiful vocal and lyric. Perfect instrumentation and as always perfect production.

Merry Xmas Floyd
Posted By: dcuny Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/23/20 09:49 PM
Sad and lovely song. Love everything about it.

What warts? I mean, maybe the word fool, except you use to here to create a nice inner rhyme with who, so that's entirely justified.

As usual - apparently even back then - solid storytelling and arc.

The pared-down arrangement really puts your voice front and center, where it shines.

Thanks for posting it! smile
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/23/20 11:20 PM
Wow! 14? I don't think I started until 19. It was a song about Jewish concentration camps called "Monday Mourning." A bit too heavy of subject matter for my friends and girlfriend of the time to relate to. So, I'm impressed you went the relatable route right away!

I think this song is beautiful. The picked guitar works well with the background fills. Then that piano comes in to bring it to another level without seeming like you are adding too much to get there.

I will take it a step further by saying I didn't get to hear it with drums. Thank you for that! It's one thing to not need them, it's another if they take a song where it shouldn't go.

Thanks for sharing this.

To you 14 year old self, stick with this. You will touch many with your wonderful songs.
Posted By: rayc Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/23/20 11:42 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Thanks, ray! shuffle?

The Resurrection Shuffle
https://youtu.be/XpH5ke-C_80
Posted By: toucher Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/24/20 12:39 AM
There is plenty to say about this, most of it has already been said, so I'll just say bravo, another great song to be proud of.

Great writing as always.

Rob
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/24/20 07:32 AM
There's just stacks to like about this, but one thing that stands out are exceptional lyrics.

Combined with a thoroughly beautiful melody, and delivered - as you say - in your more youthful years, this actually represents creative genius.

Yes, this is a keeper, no question.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/24/20 11:29 AM
Man, even at 14 you had a keen ear. This DOESN'T suck! I couldn't see the warts --couldn't hear them either. I like the piano --heck, the whole production. Broken hearts have created many good songs, and this one is right at the top. Merry Christmas, Floyd.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/24/20 12:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Floyd ...

First, Gary and you are dang near youngsters in my time frame ... I'll be 74 in March. YIKES!!!!

Glad this one missed the trash can. Most of us would probably be very happy to have written most of your throwaways. This is so poignant yet a compelling listen. For the era, this would have been a great cross-over song.

The movie of this sad journey played in my mind's eye as each word lead to the next.

You remind me, in one very strong aspect, of a female friend of mine and a wonderful lyricist from Iowa. And that is, you have an uncanny and rare ability to reach into the hidden and unfiltered emotions of the human soul and translate them into the tangible medium of a powerful song. I not only listened to this song, but I felt it as I listened. Other than that, there's really nothing left for me to say.

Happy holidays to you and yours from both of us.

Alan & Di

Alan - thanks for the great review. It is always nice to know that a lyric "touches" someone. (even those from when I was young and foolish)...
Sorry that I wiped out your Soundcloud comment when I uploaded a new mix...

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, you were 20 when you wrote this?!

I started writing songs probably around the same time as you, and we are a similar age. I'm a year older actually. Main difference is your stuff was good eek

This is great, floyd, excellent vocal too. More please!

Hope you and yours have a great Christmas.

Thanks, Dave. Songwriting has been the most constant thing in my life all these years - along with my wife, that is... I met her when I was 14, too...

smile

And Merry Christmas to you and yours! I look forward to more great music from you in the coming year...

Posted By: PeterF Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/24/20 06:56 PM
floyd

Heard both versions - prefer the 2nd one, has a very evocative 70's singer songwriter vibe (albeit written I think in 1969).

Lovely performance, and an appealing song from an earlier time.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/24/20 08:04 PM
14 eh? Bud was 65 before he wrote and it shows smile

50 years is a long time at that craft and the more we learn about what you were doing earlier the more remarkable the consistently high level of writing over those years becomes. Wish I could have periodically gone through your garbage -- I'd have a catalog to be proud of!

Well you can certainly be 20 and have these feelings but the ability to express them via a lovely song write is allocated to a select few.

As Janice said, "it is beautifully sung and I like the sparse band." Add the fine lyric and production to that and the bases are pretty much covered.

Excellent!

J&B
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/24/20 10:08 PM
Hi Floyd
While I've heard only the second version, the simple arrangement seems to me to fit the mood perfectly. That's really quite a song for a twenty year old. I guess I started writing at around fifteen but my journey to 'this doesn't totally suck' took quite a bit longer than yours!
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: tommyad Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/25/20 01:04 PM
So in other words you were born this way. The production with the help of BIAB is no doubt much better but the innate talent was most likely always there. Your understanding of how words rub up against each other and the melodies that somehow are born from your subconscious catalogue of musical memories is on full display here. No doubt you have refined your skills but the inner sense of rhythm (which I have always said can’t be taught) was always there from the beginning. If you hadn’t divulged the origin of this song we would have never had guessed the age. It doesn’t suck! It is always a pleasure to listen to your professionally written, performed and produced works, Tom
Posted By: dani48 Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/25/20 06:48 PM
Hi, Floyd !

You really shine on this one
as if you had´nt done it before
but there is so much emotion
in this one so I can hear
the difference !

Lovely tune and......
I hope that nothin´stands
in your way anymore !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/25/20 08:19 PM
Now this is a good slow dancing song. It's good to hear some early Floyd. The lyrics of your youth certainly bring back the memories of youth in the listener. I like the pared down instrumentation.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/25/20 09:28 PM

All I want for Christmas is a new old song by Floyd!

smile

Great tune bro'. Thanks for digging into the archive. Merry Christmas man!!
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/26/20 06:31 AM
Oh Ray,

Ashton, Gardner & Dyke - they had completely slipped out of my memory - ... Thanks, you made my day - gonna have a Spotify dive, I think,

Happy new year and all the bestm,

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/26/20 06:34 AM
Hi Floyd,

very nice and emotional. Do you have an original recording of it? Would be great to listen to it.

Very nicely arranged and like always marvbellously sung. Sounds good all the way.

A healthy and most happy New Year to you and yours and take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Derochette Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/26/20 11:20 AM
Hi floyd Jane,
It's a very nice song that you offer us. Lots of emotion in your voice and very well written lyrics. Well done.

Have a pleasant end of the year and take good care of yourself.

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackflash
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/26/20 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
Stunning, tender and heartwrenching. So melodic, like most (if not indeed all) of your songs. So well delivered, too. You wrote this when you were 20? Wow. They say that, if a man has a heart in his chest, that heart lasts forever ... and you sure have a superb musical heart in there. Keep sharing ... this was really, genuinely beautiful. Happy Christmas.

James - thanks for the very nice review...

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Wow, 1975. 14 years old. You brought me back to the struggle it was to get good recordings without noise back then. My first attempts were with two small Panasonic cassette recorders and a patch cable. Then, I got the glorious Teac reel-to-reel, but even with that, noise was always an issue. The only solution was to go in the studio, save your money and watch the studio clock. That only happened a couple times. Ah, the good old days. Not! If only we'd have had BIAB back then.

This was a treat to listen to, really enjoyed the 70s form (Ha! I still use it!) and it was obvious a great talent was blossoming. Nice to hear the origin of it all, thanks for giving us a fascinating look back.

Thanks, TM. In those early years, I never recorded anything - I had nothing to record on. I got a Tascam 4-track cassette recorder at some point - late 80's I think... it is still in the closet... smile

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Another lovely song Floyd. Beautiful vocal and lyric. Perfect instrumentation and as always perfect production.

Merry Xmas Floyd

Thanks, Scott. Appreciate that...
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/26/20 09:56 PM
It's been a long time since I went back to the early songs. I never thought any of my earlier stuff sucked...... I guess ignorance was bliss. I've since learned a few things that I didn't know then.

I like the song. Kinda slow but you know that. It shows that you knew a good amount about song crafting even then.

I enjoyed listening.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/27/20 01:03 AM
A beautiful song. It's very quiet (even though there is music, etc.) While all broken hearts hurt, some leave a very sweet aftertaste as time moves on. I love how the second last line of the stanzas are counted by the hook line. Expertly done. I like it. The band captured the mood of the song perfectly.
Posted By: furry Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/27/20 07:42 AM
Floyd this is a beauty, loved it from start to finish
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/27/20 01:06 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Sad and lovely song. Love everything about it.

What warts? I mean, maybe the word fool, except you use to here to create a nice inner rhyme with who, so that's entirely justified.

As usual - apparently even back then - solid storytelling and arc.

The pared-down arrangement really puts your voice front and center, where it shines.

Thanks for posting it! smile

Thanks, David. I always enjoy reading what you have to say about all aspects of the song and music...

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Wow! 14? I don't think I started until 19. It was a song about Jewish concentration camps called "Monday Mourning." A bit too heavy of subject matter for my friends and girlfriend of the time to relate to. So, I'm impressed you went the relatable route right away!

I think this song is beautiful. The picked guitar works well with the background fills. Then that piano comes in to bring it to another level without seeming like you are adding too much to get there.

I will take it a step further by saying I didn't get to hear it with drums. Thank you for that! It's one thing to not need them, it's another if they take a song where it shouldn't go.

Thanks for sharing this.

To you 14 year old self, stick with this. You will touch many with your wonderful songs.

I wrote some pretty depressing songs in those early years, but have to say, was never tempted to write one about concentration camps!! Zowie.
Glad to have you stop by for a listen.
Time to hear another from you!
Maybe not that first one, though... smile

Thanks, ray! shuffle?

The Resurrection Shuffle
https://youtu.be/XpH5ke-C_80

You continue to introduce me to previously-unknown music/bands!!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/27/20 01:59 PM
Came back to hear the stripped-down version. I like it a lot. But I think a really good song will speak for itself as long as the arrangement and mix are anywhere near decent. This song does, indeed, speak for itself. And for the writer.

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/28/20 05:57 PM
Originally Posted By: toucher
There is plenty to say about this, most of it has already been said, so I'll just say bravo, another great song to be proud of.

Great writing as always.

Rob

Rob - good to have you drop by...Thanks!!

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
There's just stacks to like about this, but one thing that stands out are exceptional lyrics.

Combined with a thoroughly beautiful melody, and delivered - as you say - in your more youthful years, this actually represents creative genius.

Yes, this is a keeper, no question.

Trev - Thanks for such a nice comment. (And thanks for dropping in on "A Better Me" as well!!)

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Man, even at 14 you had a keen ear. This DOESN'T suck! I couldn't see the warts --couldn't hear them either. I like the piano --heck, the whole production. Broken hearts have created many good songs, and this one is right at the top. Merry Christmas, Floyd.

Thanks, Marty!! This was actually written when I was 20 - 14 is when I started writing. Trust me...you don't want to hear THOSE (and luckily, I cannot remember them...)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/29/20 11:31 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Heard both versions - prefer the 2nd one, has a very evocative 70's singer songwriter vibe (albeit written I think in 1969).

Lovely performance, and an appealing song from an earlier time.

Peter

Peter - I agree - the new mix was the right way to go - the drums were simply a wrong thing to add (as was the "over-done" harmonies). Just goes to show it's a good idea to let a song sit for a while to get the kinks out... Thanks for the nice words...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
14 eh? Bud was 65 before he wrote and it shows smile

50 years is a long time at that craft and the more we learn about what you were doing earlier the more remarkable the consistently high level of writing over those years becomes. Wish I could have periodically gone through your garbage -- I'd have a catalog to be proud of!

Well you can certainly be 20 and have these feelings but the ability to express them via a lovely song write is allocated to a select few.

As Janice said, "it is beautifully sung and I like the sparse band." Add the fine lyric and production to that and the bases are pretty much covered.

Excellent!

J&B

Thanks, y'all! 50 years. Were does the time go?? There's always something to write about - and, of course, when you start is irrelevant. You've got a knack for it - so keep 'em coming!

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd
While I've heard only the second version, the simple arrangement seems to me to fit the mood perfectly. That's really quite a song for a twenty year old. I guess I started writing at around fifteen but my journey to 'this doesn't totally suck' took quite a bit longer than yours!
Regards,
Leon

"but my journey to 'this doesn't totally suck' took quite a bit longer" - those are the word choices of a guy who knows how to write...
Thanks for the nice review, Leon...
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/29/20 01:06 PM
Hi floyD you are very gifted indeed so young to write like that. great choice of instruments mixed perfect thanks for sharing this song Eric
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/30/20 12:21 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
So in other words you were born this way. The production with the help of BIAB is no doubt much better but the innate talent was most likely always there. Your understanding of how words rub up against each other and the melodies that somehow are born from your subconscious catalogue of musical memories is on full display here. No doubt you have refined your skills but the inner sense of rhythm (which I have always said can’t be taught) was always there from the beginning. If you hadn’t divulged the origin of this song we would have never had guessed the age. It doesn’t suck! It is always a pleasure to listen to your professionally written, performed and produced works, Tom

Thanks, Tom. "how words rub up against each other..." I like that!! Sounds like it came from the pen of a good songwriter. Oh! It did! smile
Thanks for the great comments!!

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !

You really shine on this one
as if you had´nt done it before
but there is so much emotion
in this one so I can hear
the difference !

Lovely tune and......
I hope that nothin´stands
in your way anymore !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks, Dani!!

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Now this is a good slow dancing song. It's good to hear some early Floyd. The lyrics of your youth certainly bring back the memories of youth in the listener. I like the pared down instrumentation.

Thanks, Scott. Appreciate the listen....
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/30/20 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

All I want for Christmas is a new old song by Floyd!

smile

Great tune bro'. Thanks for digging into the archive. Merry Christmas man!!

HA! And Happy Holidays to you!!!
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/30/20 11:27 PM
Both your maturity and sensitivity shine on that tune. Beautifully written and executed. The vocals and guitar blend so well together. Technically solid as well. It was a great listen, thank you!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/30/20 11:45 PM
FJ,
Excellent resurrection. Sad and beautiful ballad. Listens as it was written yesterday. You kept the spirit of it very well for nearly half a century. Good stuff. Really There's Nothing More To Say... except for your description of the track. You meant this to rhyme, right? :

"I only keep it still for the sake of nostalgia.
Warts and all.
Beginnings.
It's slow and melancholy (my first real broken heart).
I quit writing 3-verse songs about 1985."

Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 12/31/20 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Floyd,

very nice and emotional. Do you have an original recording of it? Would be great to listen to it.

Very nicely arranged and like always marvbellously sung. Sounds good all the way.

A healthy and most happy New Year to you and yours and take care,

Stefan

Stefan - Happy New Year to you and Maha! Hoping it's a good one! We deserve it!!!

Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi floyd Jane,
It's a very nice song that you offer us. Lots of emotion in your voice and very well written lyrics. Well done.

Have a pleasant end of the year and take good care of yourself.

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackflash

Thanks, Derochette!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 01/02/21 12:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
It's been a long time since I went back to the early songs. I never thought any of my earlier stuff sucked...... I guess ignorance was bliss. I've since learned a few things that I didn't know then.

I like the song. Kinda slow but you know that. It shows that you knew a good amount about song crafting even then.

I enjoyed listening.

Learning what needs to go in the trash is an important part of growth in writing.

Thanks for the listen.

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
A beautiful song. It's very quiet (even though there is music, etc.) While all broken hearts hurt, some leave a very sweet aftertaste as time moves on. I love how the second last line of the stanzas are counted by the hook line. Expertly done. I like it. The band captured the mood of the song perfectly.

jpt - thanks! appreciate that...
Posted By: Gemini Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 01/02/21 06:40 PM
In my last post, I mentioned how many songs I've written and how many I've thrown away.
As I said, I started writing when I was 14.
The first song I ever "kept" came about 6 years later (1975).
First time I had thought... "This doesn't totally suck."
smile

I only keep it still for the sake of nostaglia.
Warts and all.
Beginnings.
It's slow and meloncholy (my first real broken heart).
I quit writing 3-verse songs about 1985.

So...going back 45 years...

REALLY THERE'S NOTHING TO SAY

the sunshine won't get out of my eyes
the salt won't get out of my wounds
a new woman won't get out of my mind
but i'll probably make my move too soon
now everything hangs
on her next words

maybe she'll love me, maybe she won't
maybe i don't even care
maybe i'll find what i'm looking for
or maybe it couldn't be there
but every fool needs somebody who
can help him forget yesterday
so maybe i'll use my usual lines

i might tell the story of why i am here
how a broken heart lead the way
but a stronger man would have made his stand
i just walked away
so i'll spare you the details and myself the pain
of a woman who's that far away
perhaps i should write
i thought that i might

now everything hangs
on her next words
really
there's nothing to say

The BAND:
RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in style: ~364:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~2200:Guitar, Nylon, Background CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~~369:Pedal Steel, Background Ev 065
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2066:Piano, Rhythm NewAgeAnswers Ev16 110
Harmonies generated using TC Helicon plugin in RealBand

But, really...You can say something if you feel like it...
wink

Thanks for listening.

fj

Very nice song, also great vocal color.

Happy New Year guys smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 01/02/21 07:35 PM
What this proves is that you always have been and outstanding song writer, arranger, and musician.

Excellent work as usual. I didn't hear the original but this version is fantastic.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 01/03/21 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
Floyd this is a beauty, loved it from start to finish

Thanks, Graham.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Came back to hear the stripped-down version. I like it a lot. But I think a really good song will speak for itself as long as the arrangement and mix are anywhere near decent. This song does, indeed, speak for itself. And for the writer.

Alan

Alan - thanks for the return visit smile

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi floyD you are very gifted indeed so young to write like that. great choice of instruments mixed perfect thanks for sharing this song Eric

Thanks, Eric. Good of you to stop by....
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 01/03/21 05:00 PM
That's a great song Floyd! Glad you reached back in time to resurrect this one! Tugs at the ole heartstrings! T
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 01/03/21 06:19 PM
FJ, You are definitely a very gifted wordsmith. We are extremely fortunate to have you on these PG Forums.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 01/03/21 08:19 PM
Well, this may have been written when you were 20 or so but it will hang with anyone. The Beatles were not writing craft level songs or lyrics and some of their best product was 'mistakes' when they were writing in their early 20's...

Really enjoyed the history, arrangement, production and performance on this.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 01/04/21 01:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Angelomusic
Both your maturity and sensitivity shine on that tune. Beautifully written and executed. The vocals and guitar blend so well together. Technically solid as well. It was a great listen, thank you!

Angelo - thanks for the great comments!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ,
Excellent resurrection. Sad and beautiful ballad. Listens as it was written yesterday. You kept the spirit of it very well for nearly half a century. Good stuff. Really There's Nothing More To Say... except for your description of the track. You meant this to rhyme, right? :

"I only keep it still for the sake of nostalgia.
Warts and all.
Beginnings.
It's slow and melancholy (my first real broken heart).
I quit writing 3-verse songs about 1985."

Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

HA! Thanks, Misha!! Nice to know this still "holds up" after all this time...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 01/05/21 12:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Gemini

Very nice song, also great vocal color.

Happy New Year guys smile

Thanks, Nikola...

Originally Posted By: MarioD
What this proves is that you always have been and outstanding song writer, arranger, and musician.

Excellent work as usual. I didn't hear the original but this version is fantastic.

Thanks, Mario...

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
That's a great song Floyd! Glad you reached back in time to resurrect this one! Tugs at the ole heartstrings! T

Thanks, Torrey. Great to see you back around...

Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
FJ, You are definitely a very gifted wordsmith. We are extremely fortunate to have you on these PG Forums.

Don - always great to hear from you!! You were one of the first people on the forum to respond to my music... I appreciate it...

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Well, this may have been written when you were 20 or so but it will hang with anyone. The Beatles were not writing craft level songs or lyrics and some of their best product was 'mistakes' when they were writing in their early 20's...

Really enjoyed the history, arrangement, production and performance on this.

Thanks, Charlie. Always good to hear from you...
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Really There's Nothing To Say - 01/11/21 10:38 PM
Most people could write songs their whole life and never come up with something this good!! It really is sweet, and sad! Love your performance on this.....sure you couldn't sing like that back then. A truly lovely song!!! Thanks for sharing my friend! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums