PG Music Home
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Commuter - 12/27/20 11:40 AM
Hi Folks.
Sorry had not been around for some time, life happened.  Seems it released it's jaws a little for now.  Will have to catch up on many tunes I have missed.  Here is my December tune and the last for outgoing year. It is in a way a tribute to my school friend, who showed me that even most boring things can be looked at a different perspective. The last part of the song was actually an evacuation instruction in NY subway in early 1990s. We improvised on that subject, but it was never made into a tune. Constructive critique is always welcomed! Thank you for tuning in!
Misha.

Commuter

Lyrics:
There are pilots, there are plumbers, there are waiters
There are humans that are walking calculators
Some people are are gentle as lamb, some vicious as mountain lions
Some people riding a rainbow, while others are color blind

Life is a fast train, I am commuter
picking out of the window - sky shades of pewter
Lonely stations flashing their signs...

There are magicians who performing for the crowds
men go inside a burning house without doubts
There are children soldiers,
High rollers
Witch hunters
Secret masonic orders
Cliff jumpers

Love is a fast train, I am a rider
destiny is flirting through glass divider
lonely stations are flashing their signs...

Love is a fast train, I am a rider
Destiny is laughing though glass divider
Lonely stations are flashing their signs...

Listen for instructions from the crew,
Do not pull this emergency break
Remain inside a train
Subway tracks are dangerous,
Exit only when directed!

Tech stuff:
2679:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernPop16thsLowZane Ev16 090
3338:Synth, Analog, Soloist FunkJeff Ev16 110
3353:Guitar, Electric, BackgroundSoloist SwampyBluesBrent Ev 095
592:Bass, Acoustic Bluegrass Doc Ev 100
2503:Piano, Acoustic, HeldChords 085
3255:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RootsyFunkBob Ev16 110
RealDrums [in Song:CountryEven16: a: Brushes b: Snare, HiHat

Lyrics/vocals-me
Synths of Halion and Kontakt
Recorded in Cakewalk.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Commuter - 12/27/20 12:59 PM
Misha,

I always end up listening to your music several times - because it is impossible to take in its many nuances in a single listen.
I listen once to try to take it in.
I listen again to hear your great use of the guitars.
I listen again to read along with the lyrics. You write in such a vivid manner. Words that make the mind dance.
I listen again to hear all the "extras" that you add.

Cerebral. On many levels.
Fascinating.

Loved the opening guitars.

really cool vocals.

There is a high-EQ-ness that sounds great at low levels - the entire production comes through clearly - but at full volume it is "a bit much" for my ears.

Your musical genius is on full display here.

Cool, cool, cool.

fj
Posted By: Al-David Re: Commuter - 12/27/20 02:09 PM
Hi Misha ...

What a song! You chose the perfect tracks for this one ... as you usually do. I agree with all that Floyd said. What he said that resonated with me the most was that you make the brain dance to your words. For a person who's native language is not English, you have a great command of the the usage of English vocabulary. And the other thing is the original creativity of your music. The backing tracks and their usage in this song is just so good! That was terrific listen!

Hope you and yours have a fabulous 2021.

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: Commuter - 12/27/20 05:56 PM
Thank you Misha,
Excellent work...pewter skies - fabulous.
Yes, an onion of a song.
It reminded me of late Leonard Cohen...
Wonderful.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Commuter - 12/27/20 10:18 PM
Man, what a good song. Loved the lyrics. Gonna listen again.
Posted By: furry Re: Commuter - 12/28/20 07:16 AM
Another winner Misha, fabulous all rounder
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Commuter - 12/28/20 08:09 AM
Misha,

Man, this is so good on so many levels!

I just love the way you push the sides of the envelope with your compositions, pure genius.

Looking forward to hearing what you come up with in 2021 smile
Posted By: tommyad Re: Commuter - 12/28/20 09:11 AM
Misha, this is an amazing composition on many levels. The choice of the different style real tracks is inspired. The lyrics are great and the focal point. Well produced,played and sang. Pure joy at the listening level, Tom
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Commuter - 12/28/20 01:05 PM
FJ, Thank you for kind words, and especially for mentioning HF. As soon as I read your comment, I listened to track and realized, you are 100% right. It was "a bit much" for my ears as well smile I fixed that. Thanks again!

----

Alan,
Thank you for listening and your support! Vocabulary still has a lot to wish for, but as more I write, more solid it becomes. 100 more tunes and I should be ok smile

---
Ray,
Thank you for tuning in and your feedback! Onion, LOL.

----
Herb,
Thank you for listening and positive comments!

----
Graham,
Thank you for your kid words!
---

Dave,
Thank you for listening and your support!
---

Tom,
Thank you for your time and your excellent feedback!

Misha.

Misha.
Posted By: ChadHC Re: Commuter - 12/28/20 01:45 PM
I like the vocals and the groove. The melody is quite attractive. Great work!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Commuter - 12/28/20 10:13 PM
Very well done. This is going to read strange but it's meant as a compliment; the song sounds just like the lyrics read. Everything meshes together.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Commuter - 12/29/20 10:24 AM
Nice job, mish, really cool vibe in this one. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Commuter - 12/29/20 08:36 PM
"Life is a fast train, I am commuter/ picking out of the window - sky shades of pewter" Absolute fabulous. I could sing those lines over and over.

Another Misha masterpiece. Your vocal delivery/rhythm is mesmerizing--like a snake charmer--I can see the cobra swaying.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Commuter - 12/30/20 01:34 AM
Chad,
Thanks for listening and your support!

----
Jim,
LOL, Thank you for listening and your feedback!

----
Rob,
Thank you for giving this time and your support!

----
Scott,
Too funny! You know I was disappointed. Fairly recently I found out that snakes don't have ears as "ears" and can only "hear" very low frequencies. It is a motion of the whistle that gets them dancing. Pure fraud smile Thank you for your warm comments and support!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Commuter - 12/30/20 09:08 AM
Misha, you are soo creative! Love how you take simple, everyday moments/activities and weave them into very interesting tapestries of music and lyric. And your performance is always interesting as well--I'd be interested to learn your vox processing strategy and steps. I thought that your line "I am a rider..destiny is flirting through glass divider" is great! As others have said, your choice of style and components is a perfect match for your concept. I've spent a lot of time riding the NYC subways, and you definitely got that "completely lonely in a mass of people--watching a weird world pass by" feeling. I really appreciate your work and it always gives me new ideas!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Commuter - 12/30/20 11:00 AM
Absolutely outstanding, Misha. Love how you develop your songs. The lyrics are always flawless and really define the song. The music you make dresses the lyrics up in their finest. Each and every instrument adds that perfect touch, and you bring out all of those nuances to include a new meaning in Mastering.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Commuter - 12/30/20 01:05 PM
...poo,that was a close shave: On the second last day of this otherwise disgusting year I fanally revealed that long-kept secret: You MUST be Michail Dylanow, Bob's younger stepbrother who had been banned because 'one poetical genious in our family is absolutely enough'.

Misha, I'm still far from being able to fully understand those lyrics (well, when even Floyd needed more goes.. ), but that was the same with Subterranean Homesick Blues.

It's not the first time one of your songs knocks me out completely, but this one is really something special. The backing track is so unbelievably good that at first I had thought you might be Donald Fegan's lost stepbrother. Well, I could also imagine that you're a multiple personality guy.

Now I'm gonna switch off my phone and have some more listens.

Seriously: Hats off - that was just awesome.

Take good care and stay safe,

Stefan
Posted By: vicarn Re: Commuter - 12/30/20 03:02 PM
Misha. Your work is always interesting.
I love that rhythm. Lyrics are great.

Vic
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Commuter - 12/30/20 07:49 PM
Infectious groove and great lyrics. My favorite line was "Some people riding a rainbow, while others are color blind." Great work, keep it up!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Commuter - 12/30/20 10:57 PM
Tano,
Thank you for your generous feedback. Ohh, if you done your share of NYC subway time then you are ordained. My vox chain is fairly simple: Reverb+EQ. In very rare instances, mostly for FX: Distortion, Delay. But a condenser mic is actually what I think matters the most. I did discover one cool plugin recently that balances dynamics by Melda. I am still exploring it. I think that will be my to go "finalizer".
----
Marty,
Thank you for listening and your supportive feedback! I like that: "Enjoy whatever happens!'
----
Stefan,
Are you aiming at schizophrenic symptoms that I might involuntary exhibited?
"I'm still far from being able to fully understand those lyrics" Me too smile
Thank you for your fun and warm feedback, that could be made into a tune by itself. Best regards to you and Maha!
---
Vic,
Thank you for giving this time and your feedback!
---
TuneMonger,
Posted By: Scott C Re: Commuter - 12/31/20 02:08 PM
Very cool Misha. So much going on in the song. Love the interplay of the instruments. Vocal and lyrics wow. What a cool story. Well done
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Commuter - 12/31/20 03:02 PM
Misha,

Cool opening with that electric guitar. Really creative in the production; nice effects and killer mix. There’s a lot going on here and you’ve weaved them together well. Well done!

Have a Happy New Year!

Regards,

Deej
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Commuter - 12/31/20 04:43 PM

Good heavens -- what a write and production. Your use of RealTracks and RealDrums is simply outstanding -- always.

The intro is great and then comes that lyric and vocal. Well performed and clever to the max.

"There are pilots, there are plumbers, there are waiters
There are humans that are walking calculators
Some people are are gentle as lamb, some vicious as mountain lions
Some people riding a rainbow, while others are color blind"

Well that'll get the listener bound. Man, do you ever find the rhymes.

Janice said she was in the train swaying with the beat as things passed by. Bud said Fellini vignettes.

Outstanding.

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Commuter - 01/02/21 06:51 PM
Misha

What Bud & Janice and the others said! Wonderful production, some superb touches throughout, clever, and sophisticated.

Loved it.

Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: Commuter - 01/02/21 07:03 PM
Misha, this is a very creative song. Loved it.

There is so much to applaud here I don't know where to start, it is all excellent. I really liked your use of effects.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Commuter - 01/03/21 10:54 AM
Scott,
---
Deej,
Thank you for kind words! Maybe a bit too much FX smile

----
Janice & Bud,
Thank you for listening and your kind words!
"Janice said she was in the train swaying with the beat as things passed by. Bud said Fellini vignettes." LOL

---
Peter,
---

Mario,
Thank you for tuning in and your feedback here and on SC!

Misha.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Commuter - 01/03/21 08:32 PM
This is a first class and top level write and production. Excellent arrangement, production and performance. It's a winner for sure.. Enjoyed this one a lot.
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: Commuter - 01/03/21 09:50 PM
This tune has so much flavour! I love how the instruments and vocals blend together! A lot is going on here, I can see the work you put into it. You made me tap my feet!
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Commuter - 01/05/21 12:29 AM
A superbly written song. Excellent delivery too. Great band. Outstanding work.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Commuter - 01/05/21 08:13 PM
Wow Misha! There's so much going on that it's hard to take it all in! Really good use of effects and the production is outstanding! Good Job! T
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Commuter - 01/05/21 09:53 PM
That's a thinking man's song!
I like it!

The pervious comments hit the main critical points.

I'd add that I was very pleased with your growly vocal that pops up at times.

My only critique is:
I'd like to hear the vocal a little clearer.
It's a fast moving song with lots to say and if I wasn't reading along, the message might have been hard to decipher.

I continue to be amazed at how you and others use BIAB to make such rich music.
I'm barely scratching the surface on how to use it.

moto
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Commuter - 01/06/21 05:34 AM
Misha.
I am sorry I am so late in the day to comment.
There is a lot to unpack here and after my first listen my reaction is that your music is a breath of fresh air, (as always). I love the creativity , intelligence and humour of your music which I find is very inspirational. It's like you are giving permission to experiment and bend the rules. Awesome.
regards
Gary.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Commuter - 01/06/21 01:44 PM
Charlie,
Thank you for listening and your kind feedback!
-----
Angelo,
Thank you for your support!
----
jptjptjpt,
Thank you for giving this time and your feedback!
----
Torrey,
Good to hear from you. Thank you for your support!
----
Captan,
Thank you for listening, your support and your valuable critique!
I wrote most of my English tunes when I joined this group. I need a couple of more years to polish my pronunciation (maybe 5 smile )

----
Gary,
Thank you for listening and your kind and supportive feedback.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Commuter - 01/08/21 01:45 PM
Top shelf lyrics, Misha, delivered in that subversive way your voice has... listen closely, and then again because you cannot get everything in one listen!
Very good use of the funky guitars and you always create cool rhythm backtracks.
You are creating wonderfully original music... newer tracks on your site sound good too.

Robert
Posted By: dani48 Re: Commuter - 01/08/21 02:29 PM
Hi, Misha !

I do agree with all the others
in that this is really an adventure
a lot going on and everything
going on is quite superb too !

I liked it - thanks Misha !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Commuter - 01/11/21 10:53 PM
Another cool and creative composition Misha!! Always love your fresh approach and your wonderful vocals......really draw you in! You songs are always treats, and this one is too!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Commuter - 01/13/21 01:39 AM
Wow, Misha. I think this is my new favourite of yours. An absolutely wonderful journey.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: CBO Re: Commuter - 12/06/21 07:36 AM
Hi Misha. I listened and thoroughly enjoyed the production. Said my bit on your SoundCloud track.

Keep well.

CBO
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Commuter - 12/06/21 11:35 PM
Misha,

I am going to be an outlier here.

I LOVE these lyrics. I find them to be brilliant.

But for me, they are getting lost.

As one lost and lonely listener only, smile I would love to hear a version where the lyrics were slowed down 50% and enunciated clearly, and pumped up to be louder than the music.

That is only my opinion and I am sure many if not most or all would disagree.

But that is what I hear.

But, it is because I LOVE the lyrics.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Commuter - 12/08/21 12:18 AM
Hi Misha,

Very cool and complex song. I had to listen several times. I think the lyrics are super good. Very artistic use of the English language.

Good stuff man and glad to see you are back feeling better.

Billy
Posted By: dcuny Re: Commuter - 12/08/21 12:48 AM
Hehehe. Still as fresh as it was a year ago!

Every now and then, an old thread comes back to life and I get a chance to hear something that I had the bad luck to miss the first time around.

Lucky for me, CBO went digging around and found this gem. laugh
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Commuter - 12/08/21 09:00 AM
Hello Misha
Your song turned out great
So many different details and effects
This is a lot of fun to listen to
The beginning is already an experience
Great job, Misha
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
© PG Music Forums