PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Just Me And Myself - 12/29/20 09:41 PM
Just Me And Myself

This is one I initially posted almost 8 years ago. I no longer have a list of the RTs but it's all BIAB except the vocal. I had a bit of a frog in my throat the first line or two. It's a Chicago Style Blues.

I was gonna redo the vocal but Di said she liked it - it was "cute". Wife translation: "I like it as it is. Don't even touch it!" I guess cute is better than crappy and an unhappy wife! Thanks in advance.

Alan

Just Me And Myself

(v1)
Guess you could say I'm a loner
Oh but that suits me just fine
Some folks say I should mingle
But I don't pay them no never mind
I mind my own business
Try to keep myself in line

(v2)
I like my independence
No rules except my own
Ain't no one I owe an answer
No time I need to be back home
I'm short on conversation
I don't even have no phone

CHORUS
I love them pretty ladies
But I don't want one all the time
Friends sometimes dessert you
When you're in a real tight bind
Don't need nobody else
Just me and my self

INSTRUMENTAL VERSE

(v3)
Guess some people might be okay
If they don't get too close
But when they're headed the other way
That's when I like then the most
And people are all the same
From East to West Coast

(v4)
Don't slave myself to no one
And nobody owns my soul
The bestest friends I ever had
Was a line and a fishing pole
Minding my own business
That's just the way I go

REPAT CHORUS

(c) 2012 Alan D. David, BMI / Diana Bowers, BMI
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/30/20 08:57 AM
Hi Alan,

there's a lot about the year 2012 we can learn from this song:

1. You musta been a really bad boy back then
2. You could already write damn good songs
3. You sounded a lot like Dr. John (which is a huge compliment, okay?)
4. BIAB offered great possibilities already then.

Al, another song I like a lot - Di was right when she told you to keep the vocals as they were. The PSG solo fits the song like a glove - love the whole thing from A-Z.

Once again all the very best for Di and you - maybe it'll rain money every now and then, so your checkbook will start smiling again ;-)))

Taje good care of each other,

Stefan

PS... and please don't ruin your beautiful new house with fireworks tomorrow !!!!!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/30/20 09:36 AM
Alan...the correct response is "Yes, dear". She was right--perfect just as it is. After all, having a "frog in the throat" is, in itself, a reason to sing the blues, right? I liked everything about it--lyric story, rhyme scheme, blues melody, instrumentation, mix--all high quality and definitely worthy of posting. Have a great start to the New year!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/30/20 10:34 AM
Hey, froggy is fine, Alan! In fact, it's preferred on this wonderful blues tune. Fine guitar work, too. And I absoluetly love this quote from Stefan:

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Alan,

Stefan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/30/20 12:18 PM
Still sounds good, Alan...

It's great to take a look back and see those who are still around after all these years!! (and wonder about those who no longer are...)

fj
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/30/20 08:12 PM
Great singing and good song, wouldn't change a thing. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Happy New Year to you!
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/30/20 09:07 PM
Why would you record the vocals again ? They are great! Love the tone and texture of your voice here! Great song making the feet tap!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/31/20 02:22 AM
Hi Alan,

Al, another song I like a lot - Di was right when she told you to keep the vocals as they were. The PSG solo fits the song like a glove - love the whole thing from A-Z.

Once again all the very best for Di and you - maybe it'll rain money every now and then, so your checkbook will start smiling again ;-)))

Taje good care of each other,

Stefan

PS... and please don't ruin your beautiful new house with fireworks tomorrow !!!!!

Hi Stefan ...

Thank you very much, my friend. Bad boy? Well, maybe - sometimes! And I wrote a couple of decent songs back then. Wish I had Dr. John's bank account! And BIAB has been a terrific and important part of my life since 2011.

You are much too kind. But I sincerely appreciate the support, encouragement and very kind comments over the past couple of years. You and Maha are very special friends to Di and me.

But, if I had but half of your talent, I'd be twice as good as I am.

I'll be sending you and Maha a PM over the weekend. Talk to you then. Only the best wishes.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/31/20 02:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Alan...the correct response is "Yes, dear". She was right--perfect just as it is. After all, having a "frog in the throat" is, in itself, a reason to sing the blues, right? I liked everything about it--lyric story, rhyme scheme, blues melody, instrumentation, mix--all high quality and definitely worthy of posting. Have a great start to the New year!

Hello Tano ...

It's always a pleasure to hear from you. Your comments are insightful and constructive. I'm glad this one lit all your buttons for things well done. That's a very nice and pleasant compliment. Many thanks!

Other than "I love you", the only things I ever say to my wife are 1. "Yes. ma'am." and 2. "Would you like that today or yesterday?"

Thanks again for your time and kindness. best to you in the year going forward.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/31/20 03:01 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Hey, froggy is fine, Alan! In fact, it's preferred on this wonderful blues tune. Fine guitar work, too. And I absoluetly love this quote from Stefan:

Hi Alan,

Stefan

Hey Marty!

Great hearing from you! Thanks for your time to listen and leave such nice comments.

Uh, maybe I shouldn't have cleared my throat off mic? Anyway, so glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for letting me know. best to you. Hope 2021 is a fabulous year for you and yours. Take care.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/31/20 03:14 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Still sounds good, Alan...

It's great to take a look back and see those who are still around after all these years!! (and wonder about those who no longer are...)

fj

Floyd ...

Glad it still rings true for you.

And yeah, I often think about those who were here for more than a couple of songs but haven't been back in a long time. here are a few folks I wonder about and hope they are fine:

1. Kenny Leverette (44kfl)
2. Ironbark Bob
3. Garry Presson
4. Hiroshi Kata (Hiroshik)
5. Rob and Anne-Marie (RnAM)
6. Alyn Gibson (gibson)
7. Boehm (Guenter)

There are others but those are the ones who came to mind.

Take care. Happy New Year!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/31/20 03:15 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great singing and good song, wouldn't change a thing. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Happy New Year to you!

Thanks a bunch, Bob! So glad it works for you. I appreciate the very kind words! Happy New Year - Hope it's a great one for you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/31/20 03:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Angelomusic
Why would you record the vocals again ? They are great! Love the tone and texture of your voice here! Great song making the feet tap!

Hi Angelo ...

Ah - you are too nice! But I can take it - don't stop!

I really do appreciate you commenting so kindly. You're a gifted music creator and an affirmative nod from you puts a big smile on my face.

Warmest regards. Take care. Happy New Year ...

Alan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/31/20 11:01 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed my listed - thought the vocals suited the instrumentation perfectly! I'm a sucker for bluesy songs and this hit the spot. smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/31/20 01:02 PM
What to add after Stefan?

Absolutely nothing ... other than a good blues shuffle is gonna grab
us every time and this is no exception.

That was fun Bad Al!

J&B
Posted By: rayc Re: Just Me And Myself - 12/31/20 06:26 PM
Yep,
Night Tripper territory.
A bit of Leon Russel when he was walking a tightrope too.
Cool.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/02/21 05:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
I thoroughly enjoyed my listed - thought the vocals suited the instrumentation perfectly! I'm a sucker for bluesy songs and this hit the spot. smile

Hey Deryk ...

So glad you enjoyed it. Always nice to hear when a song "hits the spot". Many thanks. Happy New Year to you and all the great folks at PG Music.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/02/21 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
What to add after Stefan?

Absolutely nothing ... other than a good blues shuffle is gonna grab
us every time and this is no exception.

That was fun Bad Al!

J&B

Hi Janice & Bud ...

Thank you very much! I'm delighted to see you concur with Stefan's very kind words. It was one of those songs that just happened. Hope 2021 is your best year ever.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/02/21 05:25 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Yep,
Night Tripper territory.
A bit of Leon Russel when he was walking a tightrope too.
Cool.

Thanks for the very nice words. I haven't heard Leon Russel's name thrown around in a while. When I lived in Germany in the 70s and 80s, he was pretty hot topic. Very distinctive style. I'll take that analogy any day. Thanks again ...

Alan
Posted By: PeterF Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/02/21 06:35 PM
Alan

I agree with all the fine comments you have received on this song.

Excellent work.

Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/02/21 07:41 PM
I'm late to the party but super glad I got to hear this one!

You had me hooked at the intro. Di was right, your voice is perfect for this blues song. Loved everything about this one!

I guess cute is better than crappy and an unhappy wife! ANYTHING is better then an unhappy wife wink
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/03/21 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Alan

I agree with all the fine comments you have received on this song.

Excellent work.

Peter

Thanks so much, Peter. I appreciate you agreeing with those earlier comments. Many thanks. Happy New Year.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/03/21 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I'm late to the party but super glad I got to hear this one!

You had me hooked at the intro. Di was right, your voice is perfect for this blues song. Loved everything about this one!

I guess cute is better than crappy and an unhappy wife! ANYTHING is better then an unhappy wife wink

Mario ...

All late comers welcome. I saved a little ice cream and cake for you.

Hooked at the intro .... what more could a composer ask for??? And I loved everything about your comment. Thank you very much! Hope 2021 treats you fabulously.

Alan
Posted By: Scott C Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/03/21 09:32 PM
Loved the intro Alan. Super vocal. Guitar was very cool. Slide was perfect. Just love the blues. Cool start to 2021. Well done.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/04/21 11:24 AM
SUPERB. I love your voice, if only because it always, always tells a story, no matter what. I agree with your wife, haha ... don't change a thing :-) The song is top-notch, from the chord progression to the instrumentation, to the story told and to its rendition, performance, etc. . You always leave me wanting more - and with a smile on my face. Hats off.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/04/21 01:48 PM
A real classic blues production.

Band sounds great and the vocals are perfect.
Always take the advise your wife provides with love.

Loved it.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/07/21 05:21 PM
Di is right! The is really good Alan! This is hands down my favorite of yours! Your vocal sits right in the sweet spot on this! I was smiling all the way through! Great! T
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/09/21 01:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved the intro Alan. Super vocal. Guitar was very cool. Slide was perfect. Just love the blues. Cool start to 2021. Well done.

HI Scott ...

Thank you very much! I know how much you like the Blues. I'm delighted this one works for you. I appreciate your very kind words. Wishing nothing but the best in 2021.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/09/21 01:58 AM
Originally Posted By: musician17
SUPERB. I love your voice, if only because it always, always tells a story, no matter what. I agree with your wife, haha ... don't change a thing :-) The song is top-notch, from the chord progression to the instrumentation, to the story told and to its rendition, performance, etc. . You always leave me wanting more - and with a smile on my face. Hats off.

James ...

I always appreciate the kindness you give my songs. Your comments never fail to put a smile on my face. smile

Thanks so much for the listen and wonderful comments. Wishing you everything good in 2021.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/09/21 02:01 AM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
A real classic blues production.

Band sounds great and the vocals are perfect.
Always take the advise your wife provides with love.

Loved it.

Hello Cap'n ...

I only say two things to my wife:

1. Yes, ma'am
2. Would you like that today or yesterday?

Thank you very much for your very nice comments. We older guys gotta hang in there ... I'll be 74 in a few weeks.

Here's hoping 2021 takes a turn for the better. It's only a week into the new year and it's already fallen on its face. Best to you.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/09/21 02:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Di is right! The is really good Alan! This is hands down my favorite of yours! Your vocal sits right in the sweet spot on this! I was smiling all the way through! Great! T

Torrey ...

Thank yo so much, my friend! Hands down, huh? That's a real nice compliment. I appreciate it very much! Sure did enjoy the new one from David & you - fabulous!

Wishing the very best in 2021. Hope it's your best year ever.

Alan & Di
Posted By: dani48 Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/09/21 05:20 AM
Hi, Al & Di !

I think this is one of your
very best, if not even
the best in this genré !

It really got this old goat
swinging that´s for sure !

Now, both of you, have
a most Happy New Year
free from corona, stay safe
and take care !

Wishing you all the best !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Derochette Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/09/21 12:13 PM
Hi Al-David,

Composition very well done. It's the blues that I like. And it's true you did well not to touch your voice because it lends itself well to this style.

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFalsh
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/09/21 03:39 PM
Derochette ...

Thank you very much for those nice comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the song. Hope 2021 is a good year for you.

Alan & Di
Posted By: SongCrafters Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/09/21 05:33 PM
Good blues song Alan!!

You have a good voice for the blues so I can understand why you write them.

Duane
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/09/21 08:59 PM
Alan,
One of your best vocals on a very cool song; I don`t really believe you were a misanthrope when you wrote this, but you sing the part so well here!
I was several years from showing up on this forum when you first posted this; makes me wonder about all the other gems on those back pages.

Robert
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/09/21 09:54 PM
Cool, cool song. It's got a lot of drive. And I agree with the others---the vocal is fine and a keeper!

I love these lines at the end of the chorus: "Don't need nobody else/Just me and my self" Now that's a kicker!
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/10/21 03:39 AM
I didn't hear it eight years ago so I was glad to catch it now. Nice and gritty bluesy tune. Lyrics fit it well as did the vocals. Good one.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/10/21 11:08 AM
Sounds good to me, Alan, right up my alley actually.

Thanks for the repost, I guess I missed it the first time around wink
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/11/21 11:21 PM
I agree that the vocal works as is for the vibe........It was a melodic frog!! Cool song!! Well conceived, arranged, and produced......and sung of course!! Take care Alan! Greg
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/11/21 11:41 PM
Alan,
Excellent resurrection. Fun blues tune! Cool, slightly detuned piano. Vocals suits well, Di was right, leave it in place! Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. There are some occasional harsh artifacts, pops... Not sure if it is my soundcard, your file or how soundcloud ate it...
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/12/21 02:49 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Al & Di !

I think this is one of your
very best, if not even
the best in this genré !

It really got this old goat
swinging that´s for sure !

Now, both of you, have
a most Happy New Year
free from corona, stay safe
and take care !

Wishing you all the best !

Cheers
Dani

HI Dani ...

Thank you so much for your very nice comments. We're most happy you enjoyed the song. We are doin g everything possible to avoid the virus. Di's doctor told her if she were to get it, she probably would not survive it. Her immune system is fully compromised, she has several other major medical issues and she's 75 years old. So, we take every precaution possible - stay home almost all the time, wear masks all the time and clean behind ourselves several times daily. Thank you for your concern!

And wed hope 2021 is a fantastic year for you. Warmest regards ...

Alan & DI
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/12/21 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: SongCrafters
Good blues song Alan!!

You have a good voice for the blues so I can understand why you write them.

Duane

Thank you, Duane. I've only written a hand full of blues tunes, perhaps 8 or 10, over the years. I'm delighted this comes across so nicely. Thanks for your comments - sure do appreciate them. Wishing you well in 20212.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/12/21 02:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Alan,
One of your best vocals on a very cool song; I don`t really believe you were a misanthrope when you wrote this, but you sing the part so well here!
I was several years from showing up on this forum when you first posted this; makes me wonder about all the other gems on those back pages.

Robert

Hi Robert ...

I am the antipathy of a misanthrope. I love being with people and joining in their fun. Typically, the more, the merrier. Similarly, xenophobia has never planted itself in my brain. SO, your assumption is square on the nose! I'm extremely happy you liked the song. Thanks for telling me.

And yes, there are many wonderful musical nuggets from back then. I occasionally go back and have a listen. I'm rarely disappointed.

Best to you and yours in 2021.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/12/21 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Cool, cool song. It's got a lot of drive. And I agree with the others---the vocal is fine and a keeper!

I love these lines at the end of the chorus: "Don't need nobody else/Just me and my self" Now that's a kicker!

Hi Ez ...

Thank you so much for all that kindness . Sure do appreciate it! That title line came from me listening to my best friend a few years ago. He was having a little difficulty putting a new roof on his garage. I asked him is he needed a little help. His answer was: "Nope, don't need nobody else. Just me and myself will get it done." Thus, the impetus for this song.

Thanks again for your nice words. Have a terrific 2021.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/12/21 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
I didn't hear it eight years ago so I was glad to catch it now. Nice and gritty bluesy tune. Lyrics fit it well as did the vocals. Good one.

jpt x 3:

Many thanks for dropping in and giving it a listen. Glad ya liked it. Thanks for letting me know! Wishing you a great 2021. Take and be safe.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/12/21 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Sounds good to me, Alan, right up my alley actually.

Thanks for the repost, I guess I missed it the first time around wink

Hey Dave ...

I'll bet I'd like just about everything up your alley! And I'm delighted this one fits up your alley. Glad you enjoyed your listen - Thanks!

I was new to the Forum back then and a number of my songs didn't get a lot of attention for a while. But, it's been as real nice ride since. Thanks again for dropping in and listening. Wishing you everything good.

Alan & DI
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/12/21 03:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I agree that the vocal works as is for the vibe........It was a melodic frog!! Cool song!! Well conceived, arranged, and produced......and sung of course!! Take care Alan! Greg

Hi Greg ...

It's always a true pleasure to hear from you. A melodic frog ... HA!!!! Glad you liked it. And thanks so much for telling me. Can't wait for your next tune ... it's always a special day when a new Greg Johnson song hits the forum.

Wishing nothing but the very best for you and yours in 2021. Be safe and keep writing those gorgeous songs.

Alan & DI
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just Me And Myself - 01/12/21 03:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Alan,
Excellent resurrection. Fun blues tune! Cool, slightly detuned piano. Vocals suits well, Di was right, leave it in place! Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. There are some occasional harsh artifacts, pops... Not sure if it is my soundcard, your file or how soundcloud ate it...

HI Misha ...

I always enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for the listen and your very encouraging words. I am very partial to the supporting role the piano provided. Thanks for mentioning it. Hope you have a wonderful 20212.

ALan & Di
© PG Music Forums