PG Music Home
Posted By: CaptainMoto Dark Days Com'n - 01/02/21 10:14 PM
I had a bit of a computer melt down, aint been around for a few weeks.
Think I got it all fixed now,,,,,,,,,,,I hope!
It will take me a while to catch up on all the new songs.

Here's one I did over the holidays.
I know people are hoping for the best in the New Year, this one reminds us, It aint over yet.

BIAB bass and drums, the rest is all me.
thanks for listening.

https://soundcloud.com/captainmoto/dark-days-comn-1
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 02:32 AM
Soaring guitars and ominous vocals! Great work, I liked it!
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 06:46 AM
Hi Captain,

yout're right: It ain't over till it's over.

Powerful tune, nailing the issue in every aspect. Very impressive and well done. Grat vocal and guitar playing.

All the best for 2021, take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 09:32 AM
Dude , this is hippy trippy cool , yep , I dig it big time . Now I'm off to find me some fine texas tea homegrown and give another spin. smile
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 02:22 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Soaring guitars and ominous vocals! Great work, I liked it!

Thanks for listening.
moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Captain,

yout're right: It ain't over till it's over.

Powerful tune, nailing the issue in every aspect. Very impressive and well done. Grat vocal and guitar playing.

All the best for 2021, take care,

Stefan

Thanks Stefan,
Most of my songs are inspired by current events, sometimes the truth is painful.

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 02:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Dude , this is hippy trippy cool , yep , I dig it big time . Now I'm off to find me some fine texas tea homegrown and give another spin. smile

Thanks Gary,
HA HA.....Texas Tea .
hope your next listening experience is enhanced.

moto
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 04:20 PM
I really like the mood and melody of this track. Maybe a bit too much treble and not enough bass, but I don't have studio monitors so I could be wrong.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 09:21 PM
Loved the intro. Interesting when your song was starting on Soundcloud I was looking at the volume display in the song. I had a feeling this was going to be a really cool song. Definite ear candy. Super vocal and loved the guitar. Awesome piece of music. Well done
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 09:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Alexander Paul
I really like the mood and melody of this track. Maybe a bit too much treble and not enough bass, but I don't have studio monitors so I could be wrong.

Hey Paul,
Thanks for the comments.
Studio monitors or not, the goal is to make it sound good on any listening platform.
looks like I've got work to do.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 09:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved the intro. Interesting when your song was starting on Soundcloud I was looking at the volume display in the song. I had a feeling this was going to be a really cool song. Definite ear candy. Super vocal and loved the guitar. Awesome piece of music. Well done

Thanks for that, Scott
I may have started a little quiet but it gets there eventually..............I Think.

moto
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 09:47 PM
This is a great song, and I'm afraid you are right about things not being over at all. You have an awesome voice!! I would also think about pushing a bit more the bass, and maybe putting the guitar and some drums a bit less loud. These are details and in any case it can just be me. But anyway, you composed a great powerful tune here!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 09:52 PM
This is fantastic. Everything in this fits perfectly. Super vocal, great instrumentation (super guitar chops), and great sad but true lyrics, all set in the perfect mix!

This reminded me of The Doors. I am a big Door's fan and this song sounded a lot like what they did.

Loved it!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 10:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Angelomusic
This is a great song, and I'm afraid you are right about things not being over at all. You have an awesome voice!! I would also think about pushing a bit more the bass, and maybe putting the guitar and some drums a bit less loud. These are details and in any case it can just be me. But anyway, you composed a great powerful tune here!

Thanks,
All feedback is welcome!

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/03/21 10:18 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
This is fantastic. Everything in this fits perfectly. Super vocal, great instrumentation (super guitar chops), and great sad but true lyrics, all set in the perfect mix!

This reminded me of The Doors. I am a big Door's fan and this song sounded a lot like what they did.

Loved it!

Thank you Mario,
I was'nt shooting for a "Doors" vibe, funny though, my wife made a similar comment when was working on the track.
That's I high bar to shoot for.

moto
Posted By: musician17 Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/04/21 01:53 PM
Congratulations. What a song, so well sung and produced ... what an effort. Bravo. Loved it. Dark, brooding, wonderful.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/05/21 01:03 AM
The tune captures the mood perfectly. Dark. Just like the days. You and the band play the instruments masterfully. That lead guitar is wicked.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/05/21 10:17 AM
Moto..while the BIAB components are helpful on this track, it’s really your personal talents that make it so appealing...the guitar work and vocals are outstanding.

Personally, I sometimes think that when you try to be specific in a lyric and decide to incorporate ideas, words, and phrases that are very topical, referring the listener particularly to current events, as is in this case, but it could be references to people or personal situations, or even life experiences, there is something on the artistic or poetic level that loses a little bit. I tend away from this in my own work. This is just a personal preference for me, and I’d be interested in your take on it.

Nonetheless, excellent track.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/05/21 12:07 PM
moto,

A good sound. Appropriately "dark". Good pumping bass. Good guitar tone. Nicely played.

Good mix. A good listen.

fj
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/05/21 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
Congratulations. What a song, so well sung and produced ... what an effort. Bravo. Loved it. Dark, brooding, wonderful.

Thanks for listening

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/05/21 12:32 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
The tune captures the mood perfectly. Dark. Just like the days. You and the band play the instruments masterfully. That lead guitar is wicked.

Thanks,
Wicked is good sometimes.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/05/21 01:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Moto..while the BIAB components are helpful on this track, it’s really your personal talents that make it so appealing...the guitar work and vocals are outstanding.

Personally, I sometimes think that when you try to be specific in a lyric and decide to incorporate ideas, words, and phrases that are very topical, referring the listener particularly to current events, as is in this case, but it could be references to people or personal situations, or even life experiences, there is something on the artistic or poetic level that loses a little bit. I tend away from this in my own work. This is just a personal preference for me, and I’d be interested in your take on it.

Nonetheless, excellent track.

Thanks for your comments.
I'm certainly not a great musician but, I believe a great song must convey emotions that touch the listener. Although I can't quantify exactly how to do that, I believe it has usually starts with the passion of the writer of performing artist.

I understand your point of view.
Much of my music is inspired by current event so, It's always a balance of trying to capture the emotion of the moment without making it to specific.
It's kind'a like reading a news paper's report vs reading an eye witness account of events.

Yesterday's news gets old very quickly while a true story that conveys the human emotion of an observer has the potential to hold the reader's interest long after the news fades.
Politics has invaded every aspect of life these days and it seams it's hard to have any meaningful dialog with those who have apposing views, consequently I use my music to express my opinions about world affaires. I can only hope that my songs touch the listener in some way.

One other note:
Although this was clearly inspired by recent events (covid), I'm trying to bring attention to the ongoing inhumanity in the world.
Unnecessary wars, death, starvation and suffering brought about by human tribal tendencies.
So, although the song could be viewed as speaking to a single current issue, It really does speak to the ongoing human condition.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/05/21 09:07 PM
Fantastic song in all aspects: vocal, composition, instrumentation. Love the sound and feel of this. This would have been an FM radio staple back in the day. Love it. You are quite the talent!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/05/21 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Fantastic song in all aspects: vocal, composition, instrumentation. Love the sound and feel of this. This would have been an FM radio staple back in the day. Love it. You are quite the talent!

Thank you so much,
I've said this before........
If I rate my self on a scale of 1 - 10 , My guitar playing is a 2, vocals 2, lyrics 2, song production 2, mixing 2.
Hey...that adds up to 10 don't it?
Ha Ha, actually, the point I'm making is you don't have to be a great at any aspect but if you can pull it all together, it just might turn out OK.

Thanks again.

moto
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/06/21 02:39 PM
Captain,
This was on my "list to hear" for some time, glad it was bumped. Sad & dark tune for sure, a pretty good reflection of what we see around us. Done exceptionally well in all respects. Man, you know your rock! Amazing guitar work, vocals and whole feel. PRO stuff. Excellent listen! Thank you for sharing.

P.S. Interestingly, it seems that good Rock has tendency to emerge to top when times are tough. I guess it is a nature of the genre.

Misha.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/06/21 04:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Captain,
This was on my "list to hear" for some time, glad it was bumped. Sad & dark tune for sure, a pretty good reflection of what we see around us. Done exceptionally well in all respects. Man, you know your rock! Amazing guitar work, vocals and whole feel. PRO stuff. Excellent listen! Thank you for sharing.

P.S. Interestingly, it seems that good Rock has tendency to emerge to top when times are tough. I guess it is a nature of the genre.

Misha.

Thanks Misha,
Thanks for listening and posting a comment.

moto
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/06/21 04:37 PM
Appropriate song for today...Jan 6, 2021. There's certainly dark days ahead for us.

God help us.

The song fits the mood well.
Posted By: rayc Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/07/21 09:05 AM
REALLY cool.
My only a couple of nits:
the doubled vocal is overused so when the UMPF is needed it's already been there.
The drums are too busy in the fills - for my taste though so not a big thing.
Your guitar work is really ace for the tune too.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/07/21 12:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Appropriate song for today...Jan 6, 2021. There's certainly dark days ahead for us.

God help us.

The song fits the mood well.

Jan 6th 2021 was both sad and rewarding.
It seams the institutions worked in the end.

Having said that, this was exactly what I was attempting to convey in the song.
Although the immediate crisis has subsided, we remain deeply divided with violence brewing just below the surface.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/07/21 01:05 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
REALLY cool.
My only a couple of nits:
the doubled vocal is overused so when the UMPF is needed it's already been there.
The drums are too busy in the fills - for my taste though so not a big thing.
Your guitar work is really ace for the tune too.

Hey Ray,
Thanks for the comments.
I can't disagree with your comments however, it's all a matter of personal preferences.
I would not normally have doubling and harmony on on entire track but once I put it there, I liked it.
Drums...ha,
Yes they really jump out at times, maybe a bit too much so.
However, the original idea of boosting them came from another listener, who liked that effect.

Thanks for listening,

moto
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/08/21 01:55 PM
Captain,
I always look forward to your guitar playing; now I`m going to look forward to your vocals too; they are a standout here and fittingly passionate for the lyric.
Excellent work!

Robert
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/08/21 06:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Captain,
I always look forward to your guitar playing; now I`m going to look forward to your vocals too; they are a standout here and fittingly passionate for the lyric.
Excellent work!

Robert

Thanks Robert,
So glad you're digg'n it!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/09/21 01:47 AM
Hello Cap'n ...

An excellent write with a fantastic presentation! Very topical and well said. As Floyd mention, "appropriately dark". I always enjoy your music and, in my opinion, this is one of your very best productions. Everything sits where it should and it all meshes into a great listen. Excellent work!

Here's hoping brighter days lie ahead in multiple fronts.

Alan & Di
Posted By: dani48 Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/09/21 05:27 AM
Hi, Moto !

I like this tune and your
superb performance really
much, especially I like
those wonderful multiple
voices that you do so good !

A Happy New Year to you
Stay safe and take care !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/09/21 08:13 AM
Nice job Captain! That guitar sounds really good along with the vocals! T
Posted By: Derochette Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/09/21 12:41 PM
Hi CaptainMoto,

I join Scott C, Super solo guitar and great vocal. It is really well done. And the mix is ​​impeccable. I really enjoyed it. You are starting the year 2021 very well.

Kindly regards

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/09/21 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Cap'n ...

An excellent write with a fantastic presentation! Very topical and well said. As Floyd mention, "appropriately dark". I always enjoy your music and, in my opinion, this is one of your very best productions. Everything sits where it should and it all meshes into a great listen. Excellent work!

Here's hoping brighter days lie ahead in multiple fronts.

Alan & Di

Thanks for the kind words.

Brighter days would be good, I hope we see them soon.

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/09/21 04:32 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Moto !

I like this tune and your
superb performance really
much, especially I like
those wonderful multiple
voices that you do so good !

A Happy New Year to you
Stay safe and take care !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani,
I went out on a limb with the vocals on this one, glad to see you enjoyed it.

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/09/21 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Nice job Captain! That guitar sounds really good along with the vocals! T

Thanks you Torrey.

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/09/21 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi CaptainMoto,

I join Scott C, Super solo guitar and great vocal. It is really well done. And the mix is ​​impeccable. I really enjoyed it. You are starting the year 2021 very well.

Kindly regards

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks,
We are all learning, aren't we!
In hope to continue making better music in the new year.

moto
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/11/21 11:04 PM

Loved it!

Yeah, LOVED it too!! And definitely feel the Doors vibe too......guitar sounds like Krieger! VERY COOL!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/12/21 01:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Loved it!

Yeah, LOVED it too!! And definitely feel the Doors vibe too......guitar sounds like Krieger! VERY COOL!! Take care. Greg

Thanks you Greg.

The Doors is a great sound to shoot for.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/12/21 02:51 PM
Great sound, Captain!! Love the feeling in the guitar. The perfect take on our current situation. Love the vocal.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/12/21 11:58 PM
Thanks for dropp'n in Marty.

I hope to be inspired to make some uplifting music someday soon.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/13/21 03:09 AM
Aren't they just. Really nice work on all fronts, Captain.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/13/21 08:48 AM
You music often has a late 60's early 70's vibe to my ears that I really like, best period for music in my book.

I dig the intro and the arrangement, very well done. Love your vocal too, and the moody guitar work.

Good stuff, enjoyed.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/13/21 11:00 AM
This is a bit of a "connect your own dots" tune and we both like that. There is nothing wrong at all in leaving that to the listener.

"If I rate my self on a scale of 1 - 10 , My guitar playing is a 2, vocals 2, lyrics 2, song production 2, mixing 2. Hey...that adds up to 10 don't it?"

You sell yourself way short. I think we've said that before. Your vocals are passionate and have, for us, the all important edge of soul. Your guitar nails the vibe.

"Studio monitors or not, the goal is to make it sound good on any listening platform. looks like I've got work to do."

We listened on KRK monitors and it sounds good. I listen to our work on different systems but by and large if a production sounds good on the monitors it'll work elsewhere.

Needless to say we enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/13/21 12:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Aren't they just. Really nice work on all fronts, Captain.
Regards,
Leon

Kinda scary aint it.
Thanks for listening.

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/13/21 12:39 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
You music often has a late 60's early 70's vibe to my ears that I really like, best period for music in my book.

I dig the intro and the arrangement, very well done. Love your vocal too, and the moody guitar work.

Good stuff, enjoyed.

Thanks Dave,
I do try to shoot for a vintage vibe, thanks for noticing.

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/13/21 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
This is a bit of a "connect your own dots" tune and we both like that. There is nothing wrong at all in leaving that to the listener.

"If I rate my self on a scale of 1 - 10 , My guitar playing is a 2, vocals 2, lyrics 2, song production 2, mixing 2. Hey...that adds up to 10 don't it?"

You sell yourself way short. I think we've said that before. Your vocals are passionate and have, for us, the all important edge of soul. Your guitar nails the vibe.

"Studio monitors or not, the goal is to make it sound good on any listening platform. looks like I've got work to do."

We listened on KRK monitors and it sounds good. I listen to our work on different systems but by and large if a production sounds good on the monitors it'll work elsewhere.

Needless to say we enjoyed it!

J&B

You guys are gonna make my head grow.
I can't afford that, my head is already outgrowing my hair......;)

I've got two sets of monitors & two sets of headphones that I listen on.
I keep promising myself, I'm gonna take things out to that car for a final reality check but, I hardly ever follow thru with that.

I really do appreciate your continued encouragement.

Thanks again.

moto
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/13/21 06:41 PM
CaptainMoto,

Really cool listen. Slick production from start to finish and a stellar vocal that fits the mood and atmosphere perfectly. Love those guitar licks throughout . . . the solo is outstanding. Outstanding work on this.

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dark Days Com'n - 01/14/21 12:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
CaptainMoto,

Really cool listen. Slick production from start to finish and a stellar vocal that fits the mood and atmosphere perfectly. Love those guitar licks throughout . . . the solo is outstanding. Outstanding work on this.

All my best,

Deej

Thanks Deej,
I'm blushing.
© PG Music Forums