PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane I'll Be Gone - 01/09/21 05:38 PM
I often include "loops" in my productions.
Sometimes they are just a few added sounds.
Often (for me) they are the drums/percussion (particularly for "modern" sounds).

Another use is to set up a song with a few loops providing the entire backing and then write a lyric over them.
This is typical in today's Pop (and Country).
"Top-line writing" (we did not grow up doing that.... many of today's writers have)
in case you are not familiar with it...
https://www.berklee.edu/careers/roles/top-line-songwritervocal-producer

The new BIAB DAW plug-in can be quite useful for creating loops.
I thought I'd try it out.
Loaded the plug-in into Studio One and created several 4-bar measure loops to construct a track.
(you just keep pasting them in at the appropriate places)
Then went back and wrote a lyric to fit on top...

I'LL BE GONE

The BAND (the loops):

RealTracks in song: ~701:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2430:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NewOrleansMardiGras Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 2650:Guitar, Electric, Background DreamyPopBalladFillsBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2905:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BrightBluesyPopColin Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 3442:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BritPsycFunky Ev16 100
1758 Banjo, Rhythm, Pop16ths Ev 085
Royalty free loops (most from Studio One)

(the lyric)

I'll Be Gone

if i didn't have to be
what you expect of me
maybe i'd stop tryin' to change
who i am

that proverbial "new lease"
gotta find a little peace
i'm thinkin' memphis
or maybe birmingham

anywhere but here
i need to get my head clear
find a different direction
and a brand new start

some time to contemplate
just wipe the slate
stop looking for answers
and hide my heart

so don't come looking
   i'll be gone, gone, gone
   you can ask 'til you're blue in the face
   you can search until the cows come home
   i won't be with 'em
   i'll be gone
   i'll be gone

i know a guy not far from macon
who says that he'll be taking
a trip soon
and i can come along if i'm sure

south on 65
or west on 24
one way or another
i'm heading out the door

my pockets full of chamge
it's time to rearrange
the plans i've been followin'
the course i've been on

never been to boston
or there's a cool scene in austin
some new scenery
whatever comes along

so don't come looking
   i'll be gone, gone, gone
   you can ask 'til you're blue in the face
   you can search until the cows come home
   i won't be with 'em
   i'll be gone
   i'll be gone

(the wrap-up).

Hope you enjoy it.
Comments are welcome.

fj
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/09/21 07:29 PM
Well done sir. I really enjoyed the well crafted lyrics.
Great production. Thanks for the link, very interesting.
Rob4580
Posted By: PeterF Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/09/21 07:46 PM
floyd

A most enjoyable and appealing song, great chorus that stays with you.

Nice use of loops which certainly adds to the interest, and very professionally done.

Excellent all round work (the vocal was as usual top notch).

Peter
Posted By: Robertkc Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/09/21 08:49 PM
Floyd,
Catchy and infectious with those strong simple rhymes that make the song so singeable... at least with your very capable vocal skills.
The banjo works really well- adds some country to the feel.
Knowing little about modern songwriting ways I`ll check out the link.
Very enjoyable music.

Robert
Posted By: MarioD Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/09/21 09:12 PM
Floyd, as usual you have another hit on your hands.

Nice use of the VST and loops. I gonna have to try that.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/10/21 12:25 AM
Hi Floyd.

Berklee college is just reinventing the wheel with the cute and clever "topliner" moniker to drum up some buisness.
The modus operandi of music writing/making has shifted from humans to machines. Want a particular sound or sequence ? No problem , there are a zillion free acid loops on the net to cut and paste to your hearts content.
Berklee said “long-term success in this business comes from being able to change with the times….songwriters need to understand that music is always changing.>”
At least Berklee got that right .
Floyd wrote <"Top-line writing" (we did not grow up doing that.... many of today's writers have)>"
I repectfully dissagree . Who hasn't "tapped" the table (beats) while singing a melody in their head?

As for "I'll be gone" , my usual superlatives apply to my favourite songsmith but I will add that you are heading in the right direction smile
respect
Gary.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/10/21 03:26 AM
That was very catchy. Well written tune. Music fits the bill perfectly. Good work.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/10/21 11:33 AM
Man, the rhythm is very infectious!

Great song, floyd, that chorus especially stays with you.

Love what you did at the end smile

I really admire the way you are not stuck in the "old" way of doing things and continue to push the sides of the envelope trying new techniques.

And getting great results in doing so!
Posted By: dani48 Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/10/21 05:47 PM
Hi, Floyd !

Absolutely beautiful !
My new Floydfav from now on !
You´re a master of looping
that´s for sure !
This is a masterpiece !
WoWOWOWOW !

Have a Really Good and Safe
New Experimenting Year !!

Stay safe and take
care !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/10/21 06:13 PM
Floyd, I love it when you venture into pop territory because it puts your versatility on display! Man the cadence of your vocal delivery is catchy! Every single thing you put up is great and you've done it again! T
Posted By: Derochette Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/10/21 07:07 PM
Hi floyd,

What I admire about you is that your compositions are always well done. The melody always so pleasant and I love your lyrics. Well done and very pleasant.

Kindly regards
Take care of yourself.

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/11/21 11:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Well done sir. I really enjoyed the well crafted lyrics.
Great production. Thanks for the link, very interesting.
Rob4580

Rob - good to see you drop by. Thanks for the nice comments...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

A most enjoyable and appealing song, great chorus that stays with you.

Nice use of loops which certainly adds to the interest, and very professionally done.

Excellent all round work (the vocal was as usual top notch).

Peter

Thanks, Peter. As always...I appreciate that...
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/11/21 02:21 PM
I love this. The harmony is superb and the I like the guitars, overall a great song!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/12/21 10:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,
Catchy and infectious with those strong simple rhymes that make the song so singeable... at least with your very capable vocal skills.
The banjo works really well- adds some country to the feel.
Knowing little about modern songwriting ways I`ll check out the link.
Very enjoyable music.

Robert

Thanks, Robert.
"Catchy and infectious with those strong simple rhymes that make the song so singeable"
...does a good job of describing what much of this style of writing is aiming at doing...
The link I provided was just a quick find (first thing that came up). There are likely better discussions of the form elsewhere - and some good examples on Youtube (I suppose I should have found those to post, as well...)
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/12/21 02:59 PM
Every time I comment on of your songs there is a huge smile on my face brought on by the music in my ears, Floyd. Really quite amazing what you've accomplished here, Sensei (or what3ever the equivalent is for master music teacher). Outstanding example of unmatched creativity.
Posted By: Al-David Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/12/21 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Floyd, I love it when you venture into pop territory because it puts your versatility on display! Man the cadence of your vocal delivery is catchy! Every single thing you put up is great and you've done it again! T

Hi Floyd ...

I fully agree with all Torrey said. Versatility is a good thing. I weave in and out of various genres as the mood strikes. In my opinion, there's not all that much bad music out there - just some of it isn't presented as good as it could be.

Love everything about this. And that ending is so cool!

IO write some songs in a similar manner. I often let the percussions and bass line set the direction and add and subtract various other instruments until I get the sound I want. If it's conducive to a vocal, I'll then see what i can do about that. I haven't the faintest clue how to bring in a third party loop. I just work with whatever BIAB has to offer.

Anyway, this is a terrific listen - loved the outro! Excellent work. Take care and have a tremensou 2021.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Marty Ricciotti Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/12/21 10:33 PM
Dear Mr. Floyd. From your description you make it sound like you did the whole thing in half and hour or less. A true master of the art when you make it look easy and give out a few hints so we can all jump in and take a spin.
Love it love it love it.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/13/21 12:19 AM
Great song with a lot of energy that suits the theme of wanderlust. As always, a beautiful production. Had me humming it, that's a good sign.

I like the Big Fish loops, they inspire me. But they're expensive.
Posted By: rayc Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/13/21 12:20 AM
Really well done in LOOPland. I can't edit them well enough to bother.
Excellent lyric & melody.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/13/21 03:13 AM
Another masterclass, Floyd. Toe-tapping goodness.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/13/21 08:58 AM
I really like this one. Lot's of fun elements to soak in - The song to me has a real 'Brooks and Dunn' feel throughout and you did a great job with the loops. Vocals and the vocal/BG arrangement was outstanding. It would be fun to hear you and Mr. Henry Clarke team up on a vocal production - wink

This song has a good dose of everything it needs - Excellent write, production, performance and arrangement. Enjoyed my listen and wondering if that video from a few months back has been beneficial and influences your current writing workflow?
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/13/21 11:55 AM
Well, it certainly gave Janice “happy feet” and she was singing along happily too - irrespective of the bit of sadness in the lyric!

Your production genre expansion over the last 7-8 years has been remarkable. You are blessed to have not only the skills to do that but also the vocal chops.

Both Tyminski and Lake Street Dive come to mind ... that’s a good thing for us.

The separation of bass and kick tracks is very effective.

The harmonies with the third below added are nice as are counterpoint vocals.

We liked the old “cows come home” juxtaposed with the modern production.

Expand on mr jane and have fun doing it!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/13/21 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Floyd, as usual you have another hit on your hands.

Nice use of the VST and loops. I gonna have to try that.

Thanks, Mario.

Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Hi Floyd.

Berklee college is just reinventing the wheel with the cute and clever "topliner" moniker to drum up some buisness.
The modus operandi of music writing/making has shifted from humans to machines. Want a particular sound or sequence ? No problem , there are a zillion free acid loops on the net to cut and paste to your hearts content.
Berklee said “long-term success in this business comes from being able to change with the times….songwriters need to understand that music is always changing.>”
At least Berklee got that right .
Floyd wrote <"Top-line writing" (we did not grow up doing that.... many of today's writers have)>"
I repectfully dissagree . Who hasn't "tapped" the table (beats) while singing a melody in their head?

As for "I'll be gone" , my usual superlatives apply to my favourite songsmith but I will add that you are heading in the right direction smile
respect
Gary.

Gary - Thanks. Berklee did not come up with the term. It has been around for a while. Their site just happened to be the first to come up when I googled the term in case folks were not familiar with it.
Here is another:
https://www.musicgateway.com/blog/how-to/topline-writers-definition-how-to-start-toplining
Posted By: Deej56 Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/13/21 06:40 PM
Floyd,

Creative approach to songwriting. Catchy sound and rhythm to this. I always thought it harder to write lyrics to pre-existing music, having always written them somewhat simultaneously (or adding the music to someone else’s lyric). Having done it now a few times, I think it’s not quite as challenging as I had imagined, and actually frees you a bit in some ways. This is your usual stellar write, fitting just perfectly with the sound you've created—and maybe therein that’s one advantage to the approach. Very slick tune!

From a production standpoint, don’t think I’ve ever used loops, Definitely worth exploring more.

Best regards,

Deej
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/13/21 09:04 PM
Hi Floyd.
I sincerely appologise for over reacting. I had never heard the term before and it just struck me as a gimmick.
respect
Gary.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/14/21 11:35 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
That was very catchy. Well written tune. Music fits the bill perfectly. Good work.

Thanks, jpt....

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, the rhythm is very infectious!

Great song, floyd, that chorus especially stays with you.

Love what you did at the end smile

I really admire the way you are not stuck in the "old" way of doing things and continue to push the sides of the envelope trying new techniques.

And getting great results in doing so!

I appreciate all of that, Dave. I get bored doing "the same old stuff", so I'm constantly walking new paths (some work, some don't) just to keep myself enthused. And, I've come to like a lot of new music...Sometimes that takes a while, but I've found it "rewarding". And fun...
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/14/21 01:02 PM
Your departure has delivered a smile to my face and a tap to my feet.
That was fun and enjoyable.

Regardless the process, the result is what counts and you can take pride in this one.

As always, your writing and vocal delivery is top notch.

moto
Posted By: tommyad Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/14/21 01:37 PM
It just goes to show that 4 chords can get the job done. As long as you vary the melody i.e. going higher in the chorus it’s not always necessary to vary the chord structure. This idea works well with the pop genre and is found in a lot of modern country. Your vocal is great and the low harmony is extremely effective. Your usual good lyrics and high standard of production make this a great listen,Tom
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/14/21 03:11 PM
Hey Floyd,

I'm into my winter mode, so I now have time to work on originals and check out the forum.

This is some good stuff! I'm gonna have to try that looping idea.

This is for sure up to your normal level of excellence! I especially like what you did at the end.

Anyway, great job!

Greg

I have something new I've been working on and will be posting soon.
Posted By: ROG Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/15/21 10:08 AM
Hi Floyd,

I found the whole concept really interesting, but in the final analysis it's the end which
justifies the means, or not....

In this case, you've created a splendid groove which serves as a vehicle for a great lyric and
your usual excellent vocal performance.

I think the technique has it's place in modern composition, but I also that think it needs to be kept
under strict regulation in case it simply becomes a crutch without which we can't walk.

Many thanks for another stimulating experience.

Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/15/21 01:20 PM

Floyd,

This is very interesting. When I knew it was loops, I didn't know quite what to expect--or whether I would even like it.

My "sensibilities" are getting persnickety as I get older and I generally shudder when I hear music that is "loop-centric."

However, in this tune, you managed to create a warmth to the music and feel, and kept the "loops in their place" as another listener said, even though they are forefront. Very interesting how you did that. Not only was I able to listen, but I really enjoyed it.

This is great pop, and I mean that as a compliment, because I am a pop fiend as you know.

smile
Posted By: beatmaster Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/15/21 02:04 PM
Floyd this is nice !, And the use of loops are standing there own on this song a great write, great vocals and like the fact its experimental and as one comment said gets the vibe for others to want to try experimenting.

This put me in mind a bit of a song i wrote using a b.i.a.b. style

https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/track/what-we-had-before

Well to my ears it has a hint of the same rhythm .

Again Nice one !!

wee bit of loops history

In music, tape loops are loops of magnetic tape used to create repetitive, rhythmic musical patterns or dense layers of sound when played on a tape recorder. Originating in the 1940s with the work of Pierre Schaeffer, they were used among contemporary composers of 1950s and 1960s, such as Éliane Radigue, Steve Reich, Terry Riley, and Karlheinz Stockhausen, who used them to create phase patterns, rhythms, textures, and timbres. Popular music authors of 1960s and 1970s, particularly in psychedelic, progressive and ambient genres, used tape loops to accompany their music with innovative sound effects. In the 1980s, analog audio and tape loops with it gave way to digital audio and application of computers to generate and process sound.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/15/21 07:16 PM
FJ, a lot's been said already...I think even that has been said a few times. It's all well deserved.
I really enjoyed your endeavors in 2020; and 2021 is looking to be another fun year!

Somehow you seem to have the unique ability to stretch yourself to new areas and yet retain the identity of who you are. Not an easy thing to do.

Back to the song. It's fun. It's catchy. It's well thought out without seeming that way. The gradual building of instruments to keep your ear interested it's very nice. From the subtlety of adding adding reverb on the 4th "snap" to the adding of instruments over time; fantastic. It's only further emphasized by taking them out towards the end! Then why not write two vocal parts the work so well together? No need to decide which is the better route if you can make both work! Amazing.

All around great job in my opinion. I always appreciate you sharing your talents.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/15/21 07:25 PM
A separate comment I wanted to address...

Gary, I'm not sure that you will see this; but here goes nothing.

Quote:

I don't believe they invented this phrase. If they did it wouldn't have been recently. I know it's been around for decades for sure; and I'm guessing longer than that. I first learned of this phrase in 1991 while in college; and I don't believe my school would have been the one to coin the phrase either. smile

If you work in any pro studio; they know what top lining is. Both the method and terminology are used very frequently.

Hopefully helpful. smile
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/15/21 09:09 PM
This has a modern feel---but what in the heck do I know about modern. smile

The loopy rhythm creates a subtle sense of urgency to match the lyrics.

Effective contrast in the melody between the verse and chorus.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/16/21 05:44 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !

Absolutely beautiful !
My new Floydfav from now on !
You´re a master of looping
that´s for sure !
This is a masterpiece !
WoWOWOWOW !

Have a Really Good and Safe
New Experimenting Year !!

Stay safe and take
care !

Cheers
Dani

smile

Always enjoy your comments, Dani... Thanks.

That's nice of you to say, Torrey...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/18/21 09:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi floyd,

What I admire about you is that your compositions are always well done. The melody always so pleasant and I love your lyrics. Well done and very pleasant.

Kindly regards
Take care of yourself.

Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks you, Derochette!

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields
I love this. The harmony is superb and the I like the guitars, overall a great song!!

Thanks for stopping by, Ronnie...
Posted By: edshaw Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/18/21 10:32 AM
I don't know what it takes to jump into a new field like that, but you certainly do have it, Floyd. Your willingness to teach and share the brief on the techniques is greatly appreciated.
Me, I've been working with relatively ancient ideas of arrangement. That would be something like:
Intro x I
V/Ch x II
Ch x I and out
You will recognize this from your studio days. The importance of the arrangement is gradually sinking in to this thick skull. I'm wondering, how does looping relate to traditions of arrangement?
Great song, BTW. Reminds me of Alan Jackson, one of my favs.
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/18/21 05:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

Creative approach to songwriting. Catchy sound and rhythm to this. I always thought it harder to write lyrics to pre-existing music, having always written them somewhat simultaneously (or adding the music to someone else’s lyric). Having done it now a few times, I think it’s not quite as challenging as I had imagined, and actually frees you a bit in some ways. This is your usual stellar write, fitting just perfectly with the sound you've created—and maybe therein that’s one advantage to the approach. Very slick tune!

From a production standpoint, don’t think I’ve ever used loops, Definitely worth exploring more.

Best regards,

Deej

Charlie Fogle is correct. You can definitely write full songs from loops. BIAB is only one tool I use for my compositions. When I want to write to horns and synths or solid uptempo commercial music I use loops. BIAB doesn't work as well for me. Give this song a quick listen.

https://youtu.be/X84bv1TxlAk

This song has over 15k plays on Spotify, 2,000 views on YouTube (with no video), over 12k plays on Soundcloud and Plays on Pandora Radio. It is ALL loops.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/19/21 12:28 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Every time I comment on of your songs there is a huge smile on my face brought on by the music in my ears, Floyd. Really quite amazing what you've accomplished here, Sensei (or what3ever the equivalent is for master music teacher). Outstanding example of unmatched creativity.

Thanks for the great comments, Marty... (there are a bunch of creative people on this forum - including you!)

Originally Posted By: Al-David

Hi Floyd ...

I fully agree with all Torrey said. Versatility is a good thing. I weave in and out of various genres as the mood strikes. In my opinion, there's not all that much bad music out there - just some of it isn't presented as good as it could be.

Love everything about this. And that ending is so cool!

IO write some songs in a similar manner. I often let the percussions and bass line set the direction and add and subtract various other instruments until I get the sound I want. If it's conducive to a vocal, I'll then see what i can do about that. I haven't the faintest clue how to bring in a third party loop. I just work with whatever BIAB has to offer.

Anyway, this is a terrific listen - loved the outro! Excellent work. Take care and have a tremensou 2021.

Alan & Di

Thanks for the nice review, Alan... you don't seem to need anything more than BIAB to create some killer stuff...keep it up! Hope you and Di have a great 2021!!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/19/21 11:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Marty Ricciotti
Dear Mr. Floyd. From your description you make it sound like you did the whole thing in half and hour or less. A true master of the art when you make it look easy and give out a few hints so we can all jump in and take a spin.
Love it love it love it.

Thanks, Marty. Good to have you drop by. (A bit more than a half hour smile )
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/20/21 12:49 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great song with a lot of energy that suits the theme of wanderlust. As always, a beautiful production. Had me humming it, that's a good sign.

I like the Big Fish loops, they inspire me. But they're expensive.

Thanks for the nice words, TM.

The Big Fish loops are expensive - and that was kind of the point of this "experiment"...creating "loops" from BIAB RealTracks. After all, the BF loops (and others like them) are typically "construction sets" with (usually) 2 sets of 4 bar measures (typically varying a little between the two) that you then have to patch together to create a full song. BIAB gives us THOUSANDS of styles - which are, basically, the same thing (construction sets of instruments) and with a greater variety through a full performance.
However, you can "mimic" the BF loop offerings by just using a short clip from a BIAB track as I did here.

It's a LOT cheaper - since it is already paid for - Free!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/20/21 11:02 PM
FJ,
Excellent groove on this! Snug fit lyric rhyme. Catchy, easy listening tune. My deepest respect to you on your tireless quest of trying out new approaches and genres! Mix and all is PRO level. Liked it! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/21/21 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Really well done in LOOPland. I can't edit them well enough to bother.
Excellent lyric & melody.

Thanks, ray. Loops aren't for everyone and with BIAB there is SO much to explore, most would never need them....

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Another masterclass, Floyd. Toe-tapping goodness.
Regards,
Leon

Appreciate that, Leon...
Posted By: vicarn Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/21/21 06:05 PM
Catchy song and arrangement, Floyd.
Love that voice.

Vic
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/21/21 07:54 PM
Incredibly infectious vibe!!! Overlaid with some really cool lyrics that just roll off the tongue of a guy who knows how to write 'em, AND how to sing 'em!!! Top line you say?? TOP DRAWER I say my friend!!! Another bit of evidence that there is no stopping the fountain of creativity that is Floyd Jane!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/22/21 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
I really like this one. Lot's of fun elements to soak in - The song to me has a real 'Brooks and Dunn' feel throughout and you did a great job with the loops. Vocals and the vocal/BG arrangement was outstanding. It would be fun to hear you and Mr. Henry Clarke team up on a vocal production - wink

This song has a good dose of everything it needs - Excellent write, production, performance and arrangement. Enjoyed my listen and wondering if that video from a few months back has been beneficial and influences your current writing workflow?

Charlie - thanks for all the nice comments. I would not have considered this a B&D kinda song...interesting idea. I only got through 30 minutes of the mix video - then got busy with others things - still have it bookmarked and intend to get back to it...thanks again...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Well, it certainly gave Janice “happy feet” and she was singing along happily too - irrespective of the bit of sadness in the lyric!

Your production genre expansion over the last 7-8 years has been remarkable. You are blessed to have not only the skills to do that but also the vocal chops.

Both Tyminski and Lake Street Dive come to mind ... that’s a good thing for us.

The separation of bass and kick tracks is very effective.

The harmonies with the third below added are nice as are counterpoint vocals.

We liked the old “cows come home” juxtaposed with the modern production.

Expand on mr jane and have fun doing it!

J&B

Thanks for the great review, guys (or guy and gal?)...it has been a journey, hasn't it? Y'all have been on a great one, too, all these years!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/23/21 12:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

Best regards,

Deej

I agree - writing a lyric to pre-existing tracks is the "hardest" for me. But, I think part of that is because most of us grew up writing with a guitar in hand and doing it all at once. I would imagine there are plenty of folks (these days) would are "learning" differently and find top-lining "more natural". And, as you noted, once you do it a few times, it does get easier (but, it's still more challenging that the do-it-all-at-once).
An advantage to top-lining is that melodies tend to be somewhat more interesting (and often catchier).

Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Hi Floyd.
I sincerely appologise for over reacting. I had never heard the term before and it just struck me as a gimmick.
respect
Gary.

No problem, Gary. Always happy to see you drop in...

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Your departure has delivered a smile to my face and a tap to my feet.
That was fun and enjoyable.

Regardless the process, the result is what counts and you can take pride in this one.

As always, your writing and vocal delivery is top notch.

moto

moto - Thanks! Really do appreciate it...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/24/21 03:45 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
It just goes to show that 4 chords can get the job done. As long as you vary the melody i.e. going higher in the chorus it’s not always necessary to vary the chord structure. This idea works well with the pop genre and is found in a lot of modern country. Your vocal is great and the low harmony is extremely effective. Your usual good lyrics and high standard of production make this a great listen,Tom

Thanks, Tom. The 4-chords-through-the-whole-song has become a hallmark of "New Country"... (But, man!, sometimes it hard to sing... smile )

Originally Posted By: Achordocaster
Hey Floyd,

I'm into my winter mode, so I now have time to work on originals and check out the forum.

This is some good stuff! I'm gonna have to try that looping idea.

This is for sure up to your normal level of excellence! I especially like what you did at the end.

Anyway, great job!

Greg

I have something new I've been working on and will be posting soon.

Thanks, Greg. Good to see you back!
Posted By: dcuny Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/24/21 05:42 PM
I'm not sure I can add anything new here.

It's catchy and fun to listen to, which is really the only important bit.

I personally don't see any issue with using loops. Well done repetition in music is always good.

I love how the instrumentation shifts to keep things interesting. I certainly didn't expect the banjo, which sounded great!

I'm curious if the counterpoint came about by design, or if it "just happened" since you worked them both out over the same progression. In either case, it sounded awesome.

The melody is good, and rhythmically interesting. The rhyme scheme of the verse - aaXb aaXb - works really well.

I listened to the song multiple times through - something I rarely do. laugh
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/25/21 12:40 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd,

I found the whole concept really interesting, but in the final analysis it's the end which
justifies the means, or not....

In this case, you've created a splendid groove which serves as a vehicle for a great lyric and
your usual excellent vocal performance.

I think the technique has it's place in modern composition, but I also that think it needs to be kept
under strict regulation in case it simply becomes a crutch without which we can't walk.

Many thanks for another stimulating experience.

Cheers,
ROG.

Thanks, ROG, for all the nice comments.
I think the technique has it's place, too. And for some (mostly younger than us) it is the "only way they know" (not necessarily a bad thing - just "different").

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Floyd,

This is very interesting. When I knew it was loops, I didn't know quite what to expect--or whether I would even like it.

My "sensibilities" are getting persnickety as I get older and I generally shudder when I hear music that is "loop-centric."

However, in this tune, you managed to create a warmth to the music and feel, and kept the "loops in their place" as another listener said, even though they are forefront. Very interesting how you did that. Not only was I able to listen, but I really enjoyed it.

This is great pop, and I mean that as a compliment, because I am a pop fiend as you know.

smile

Mr. Snyder - glad that I could win you over to the dark side smile smile smile

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Floyd this is nice !, And the use of loops are standing there own on this song a great write, great vocals and like the fact its experimental and as one comment said gets the vibe for others to want to try experimenting.

This put me in mind a bit of a song i wrote using a b.i.a.b. style

https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/track/what-we-had-before

Well to my ears it has a hint of the same rhythm .

Again Nice one !!

wee bit of loops history

In music, tape loops are loops of magnetic tape used to create repetitive, rhythmic musical patterns or dense layers of sound when played on a tape recorder. Originating in the 1940s with the work of Pierre Schaeffer, they were used among contemporary composers of 1950s and 1960s, such as Éliane Radigue, Steve Reich, Terry Riley, and Karlheinz Stockhausen, who used them to create phase patterns, rhythms, textures, and timbres. Popular music authors of 1960s and 1970s, particularly in psychedelic, progressive and ambient genres, used tape loops to accompany their music with innovative sound effects. In the 1980s, analog audio and tape loops with it gave way to digital audio and application of computers to generate and process sound.

Thanks, beatmaster. Good to see you around...been a while...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/26/21 12:01 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
FJ, a lot's been said already...I think even that has been said a few times. It's all well deserved.
I really enjoyed your endeavors in 2020; and 2021 is looking to be another fun year!

Somehow you seem to have the unique ability to stretch yourself to new areas and yet retain the identity of who you are. Not an easy thing to do.

I like the "stretching". It keeps making music "fresh" for me. Things have changed considerably in the world of "making music" and I think it's important to "keep up". And I listen to new music all the time - which helps bring new ideas to table. Keeps it fun.

Quote:

Back to the song. It's fun. It's catchy. It's well thought out without seeming that way. The gradual building of instruments to keep your ear interested it's very nice. From the subtlety of adding adding reverb on the 4th "snap" to the adding of instruments over time; fantastic. It's only further emphasized by taking them out towards the end! Then why not write two vocal parts the work so well together? No need to decide which is the better route if you can make both work! Amazing.

"....well thought out without seeming that way" - Thanks for that! An important concept, I think... You have a "detailed ear" - it's always nice when someone notices the "little touches" (like the reverb on the snap).

Quote:

All around great job in my opinion. I always appreciate you sharing your talents.

And I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the song and the production!...
Posted By: robsmusic Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/27/21 12:56 AM

that's a HIT!!

killer chorus

A different musical approach with the loops, but your musical personality still shines through

well done!

-rob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/27/21 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
This has a modern feel---but what in the heck do I know about modern. smile

The loopy rhythm creates a subtle sense of urgency to match the lyrics.

Effective contrast in the melody between the verse and chorus.

Thanks, Scott!!

Originally Posted By: edshaw
I don't know what it takes to jump into a new field like that, but you certainly do have it, Floyd. Your willingness to teach and share the brief on the techniques is greatly appreciated.
Me, I've been working with relatively ancient ideas of arrangement. That would be something like:
Intro x I
V/Ch x II
Ch x I and out
You will recognize this from your studio days. The importance of the arrangement is gradually sinking in to this thick skull. I'm wondering, how does looping relate to traditions of arrangement?
Great song, BTW. Reminds me of Alan Jackson, one of my favs.

Thanks for stopping by, ed!!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ,
Excellent groove on this! Snug fit lyric rhyme. Catchy, easy listening tune. My deepest respect to you on your tireless quest of trying out new approaches and genres! Mix and all is PRO level. Liked it! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha - coming from one of the most "inventive" musician/producers here, I certainly appreciate that... Thanks!!
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/27/21 09:52 PM
Hi Floyd,

Good song and an innovative production. As always I am a big fan of what you are doing, because you do it so damn well! You make me listen to genres I normally don't listen to and you make me appreciate music that I would never create myself. And that is a big compliment (just so you know) smile

Your musical style, your innovation and your well-crafted productions remind me very much of a very talented Danish friend I have. His name is Jens Lysdal and over the years he has made many good songs. Here is an example (I think you will like it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdiSYZ3jSG8

Will
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/28/21 03:24 AM
well, after being away from the showcase for probably a couple of years, I'm not surprised to see that Floyd Jane is still the one to look for! You are now and have always been the innovator, and I totally appreciate the information you share about each song.

If your goal was to come up with a modern sound, then mission accomplished! That was totally catchy and it flowed like melted butter, with all the same sizzle.

Good to hear you again my friend.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/28/21 06:57 AM
Hi Floyd,

You made a very pleasant, lighthearted song with this one, in spite of your message to be gone.
It has a bit of the tropics in the melody.
I was expecting steel drums entering after every chorus. While that stayed out, the feeling was there from the beginning.
And the sound of your song and vocals is very very good. But I told you that all the time I think.

Enjoyed it very much. I only hope you stay...

Have a nice day,
Hans
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/28/21 09:57 AM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Catchy song and arrangement, Floyd.
Love that voice.

Vic

Thanks, Vic.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Incredibly infectious vibe!!! Overlaid with some really cool lyrics that just roll off the tongue of a guy who knows how to write 'em, AND how to sing 'em!!! Top line you say?? TOP DRAWER I say my friend!!! Another bit of evidence that there is no stopping the fountain of creativity that is Floyd Jane!! Take care. Greg

Greg - Thanks for the great review!! Always appreciated...

Originally Posted By: dcuny
I'm not sure I can add anything new here.

It's catchy and fun to listen to, which is really the only important bit.

I personally don't see any issue with using loops. Well done repetition in music is always good.

I love how the instrumentation shifts to keep things interesting. I certainly didn't expect the banjo, which sounded great!

I'm curious if the counterpoint came about by design, or if it "just happened" since you worked them both out over the same progression. In either case, it sounded awesome.

The melody is good, and rhythmically interesting. The rhyme scheme of the verse - aaXb aaXb - works really well.

I listened to the song multiple times through - something I rarely do. laugh

David - I always enjoy reading your thoughts (good or bad).

The counterpoint was somewhat planned and somewhat "a happy accident". Since the chords are the same in the chorus I thought I might be able to combine some verse phrases with the chorus. I decided to try with the city names that occur and simply cut and pasted from the various spots that they occur. That worked instantly without having to manipulate anything... Thanks for mentioning it...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'll Be Gone - 01/28/21 10:01 AM
Originally Posted By: robsmusic

that's a HIT!!

killer chorus

A different musical approach with the loops, but your musical personality still shines through

well done!

-rob

Thanks, Rob!! Always good to see you drop in again...

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hi Floyd,

Good song and an innovative production. As always I am a big fan of what you are doing, because you do it so damn well! You make me listen to genres I normally don't listen to and you make me appreciate music that I would never create myself. And that is a big compliment (just so you know) smile

Your musical style, your innovation and your well-crafted productions remind me very much of a very talented Danish friend I have. His name is Jens Lysdal and over the years he has made many good songs. Here is an example (I think you will like it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdiSYZ3jSG8

Will

Will - I certainly appreciate all those nice comments. I'll will check out Jens' video when I have the time (a bit rushed at the moment....)

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
well, after being away from the showcase for probably a couple of years, I'm not surprised to see that Floyd Jane is still the one to look for! You are now and have always been the innovator, and I totally appreciate the information you share about each song.

If your goal was to come up with a modern sound, then mission accomplished! That was totally catchy and it flowed like melted butter, with all the same sizzle.

Good to hear you again my friend.

I appreciate all that, Pat. It is REALLY great to see you back in the Showcase. Your song knocked me over! - great stuff...

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Floyd,

You made a very pleasant, lighthearted song with this one, in spite of your message to be gone.
It has a bit of the tropics in the melody.
I was expecting steel drums entering after every chorus. While that stayed out, the feeling was there from the beginning.
And the sound of your song and vocals is very very good. But I told you that all the time I think.

Enjoyed it very much. I only hope you stay...

Have a nice day,
Hans

Hans - Thanks! for the nice review...Your new one is so good!!...
© PG Music Forums